Naruto

I honestly don't care who wins, but Jiraiya has grown considerably stronger since he fought Hanzo, and if his strength was on par with Orochimaru's, and Orochimaru was on par with the rest of Akatsuki, then I think Jiraiya still has a fighting chance (although not much of one.)

While it is certainly possible that he survives, it's all of the foreshadowing from previous chapters that seems to indicate his death for me.

I don't see Jiraiya dying, at this point he's the most powerful ninja in Konoha and if he can't beat Pein, who can? It took 3 years of training under Jiraiya's guidance for Naruto to be in Kakashi's league, he isn't going to magically become superior to Jiraiya anytime soon. Jiraiya is capable of fighting a four-tailed Naruto and win, and we saw what one-tailed Naruto could do in the Valley of the End.
People could say that Naruto can just get more tails and beat Pein, but by the time Naruto gets 4 tails, Naruto is in the process of dying and the Kyuubi is basically in control... if Naruto were to get 5 tails, he could cease to exist.
Anyway, Jiraiya's death has been foreshadowed... but it's basically blocking out the sun. I mean, he has had 4 entire chapters all to himself... just him, nothing else, 4 chapters. Everyone else's foreshadowing of death were limited to a couple panels here and there. Kishimoto just wants us to believe he's going to die.

Anyway, based on the new information revealed in this chapter, I tried to do some research. I believe the sannin were around Kakashi's level 25-ish years ago when they fought Hanzo, and they have gotten stronger since then (except Tsunade who has been out of the "game" for nearly 20 years and was just somewhat better than Kabuto who was stated to be at Kakashi's level, which is what I'm basing my opinions of the younger sannin on).
So I was wondering, if Hanzo was powerful enough to kill the three of them right then and there, why would he just let them live? They were obviously powerful and letting them live just meant that they'd continue to fight against his forces in the war... that logic bothered me. But then I tried reading between the lines, he said "I'll let you live. This battle will... in all likelihood end in Konoha's victory." Now I noticed he said "battle" and not "war," which leads me to believe he was talking of the current situation, which means he wasn't sure if he could beat the three of them. He then goes on to admit that they are powerful and shows them his respect... I believe that in his pride, he was negotiating a mutual retreat. In his own way, he was saying that it's not cowardly to retreat, and that he will honor them if they do.
Also something else I noticed, it was never shown or stated whether or not Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru accepted Hanzo's offer or not. They may very not be the sannin because they left, but because they defeated him.

Now to judge their strengths based on this, I would put Hanzo's power in the same catagory as Jiraiya right now, since I think three people of Kakashi's ability could manage a victory over Jiraiya. But I also think Hanzo was much older than them since he has lines on his face, which means his loss to Pein could be under the same circumstances that Sarutobi's loss to Orochimaru was... he wasn't what he used to be. This could mean that both Pein and Jiraiya are on nearly the same level.

As for the fight itself, I think those six bodies we saw in suspended animation are actually sacrificial bodies for Pein's Shapeshifter technique... y'know, the one he used to create exact copies (albeit limited since Itachi and Kisame only gave 30% of their chakra to create them) of Itachi and Kisame that they controlled from a remote location. And it was stated that 100% Jiraiya > 100% Itachi + 100% Kisame. I think this is a great way for Jiraiya to kick *** and not take away any hype from Pein.

Either Jiraya or Kakashi will die. One of Naruto's mentors as a parallel to Sasuke killing Orochimaru. Jiraya makes more sense, though.

Everything you said makes a lot of sense, but you have to remember that Kishimoto is not very consistent when it comes to the strength of his characters.

Everything you said makes a lot of sense, but you have to remember that Kishimoto is not very consistent when it comes to the strength of his characters.
This isn't DBZ. Fights in Naruto aren't determined by power levels. Weaklings can beat powerhouses if they're clever, sneaky, or lucky enough.

This isn't DBZ. Fights in Naruto aren't determined by power levels. Weaklings can beat powerhouses if they're clever, sneaky, or lucky enough.

I agree, but you should see the buzz around Naruto message boards... most of them are literally acting like Pein is SSJ4 Gogeta and Jiraiya is Mystic Gohan... it's irritating me.

Last edited:
Today, there was an article in my newspaper giving series that Harry Potter fans had picked up to fill the void of Potter. This was one of the top choices. I'm not sure what to think of that.

Also, I wasn't sure if this deserved it's own thread...so I'll just put this here.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21479.html

:shock:

I only have a passing interest in Naruto, but this still looks amazing. Plus it's being made by the guys behind Prince of Persia.

Is that a fighting game? If so, it looks to be much better than both the Clash of Ninja and the ultimate Ninja games put together.

Is anyone else here thinking that Jiraiya might know the 4th Hokage's (Minato's) Flying Thunder God technique? It's done by writing a seal on a kunai which then allows you to teleport to wherever the kunai is. Jiraiya is apparently a seal expert from the things we've seen him do, and Minato did teach him the rasengan... so why not Flying Thunder God?
And I hope that if Jiraiya does know the Flying Thunder God, that he taught it to Naruto. The only techniques that kid basically has are Shadow Clone, Rasengan, Frog Summoning, and the useless Art of Seduction. He has only made it as far as he has in the series because of the near infinite chakra he gets from the Kyuubi, the Kyuubi itself, help from others, and plain luck. He needs to know more techniques, and Flying Thunder God is his birthright just as Rasengan was.

I'm also curious as to what came about the Amaterasu technique's black flame that Jiraiya sealed for "future study." Could it be possible that Jiraiya developed his own version of Amaterasu from his studies?

To be fair though, those games are way old ports from Japan.

Heh, tell me about it. We just got Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 2 in June of this year, but it has been out in Japan since 2004. And not only that, but Japan is about to be getting Naruto Shippuuden: Narutimate Accel 2, which is essentially Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 5. We probably won't be seeing that until 2010!

Anyone read the new chapter yet? First of all...Jiraya shooting a frog-totem-pole thing out of his mouth? Gross.

Lots of answers this chapter. It actually looks like that theory that was brought up awhile back (about the Uchiha clan) is surprisingly accurate. Jiraya has so far mentioned that Uchiha Madara may have summoned Kyuubi and that he fought against the first Hogake in the valley of the end. Both of which, if I remember correctly, were in that theory.

Anyone read the new chapter yet? First of all...Jiraya shooting a frog-totem-pole thing out of his mouth? Gross.

Lots of answers this chapter. It actually looks like that theory that was brought up awhile back (about the Uchiha clan) is surprisingly accurate. Jiraya has so far mentioned that Uchiha Madara may have summoned Kyuubi and that he fought against the first Hogake in the valley of the end. Both of which, if I remember correctly, were in that theory.

The way I saw it is that Obito/Tobi could have did the Kyuubi summoning. But a really good chapter none the less.

The way I saw it is that Obito/Tobi could have did the Kyuubi summoning. But a really good chapter none the less.

Much better than the last few anyway. At least the expository dialog explained something this time.

If I didn't know better, though, I'd say that Naruto is a secondary character.

Info of Naruto chapter 371 has surfaced and it appears as though one of Pein's and Konan's secrets may be confirmed...

Pein and Konan called Jiraiya "sensei" and Jiraiya noted on how nicely Konan has grown, so right now it's a pretty safe bet that these two are the previous unknown members of Jiraiya's genin team.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back