Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 3)

I'm happy without the comics tbh my personal timelines only include screen media (E.g. TV,Movies,Video Games,Shorts,etc.) (video games and shorts are cannon if they don't have like a gimmicky advert attached to it like the Loki S02 McDonald's TVA Orientation videos or the recent What if VR experience because of different voice actors, continuity errors & niche availability)

Pretty much all of the Comics were still cannon when we were wrapping up the infinity saga, but since then I feel like marvel studios has done a Star Wars and retconned some of the comics events, big and small in the past couple of years with black widow retconning the ending of Civil War for example.

Basically, they had too much lore to maintain, overwrote some of it and essentially made some of the comics semi or non-cannon.

I've never considered them canon. Just the ones that have the stamp. To me they just feel like fluff and I feel don't add to the universe in the same way the official ones do (some outright contradicting it) But if a majority wants to add them, have at it.
Didn't u Read my comments? I asked what continuity errors they have, and nobody answered. Also they are official too, they are made by Marvel too.

Didn't u Read my comments? I asked what continuity errors they have, and nobody answered. Also they are official too, they are made by Marvel too.
If they're as official as you say then why do the comics with the official tie-in seal exist in the first place to differentiate them?

If they're as official as you say then why do the comics with the official tie-in seal exist in the first place to differentiate them?
Coz they are on an higher level than the inspired by comics, but this timeline still have some not Red stamp comics Like First vengeance. (Which Is objective true, It doesn't have a Red stamp on the cover, infact the wiki put It on same level as the inspired ones)

But being on a higher level doesn't Mean that what Is below them can't be Canon.

Coz they are on an higher level than the inspired by comics, but this timeline still have some not Red stamp comics Like First vengeance.

But being on a higher level doesn't Mean that what Is below them can't be Canon.
Agree to disagree. I just don't see any gain in the inspired by comics. I feel like the seal was meant to show this is what Marvel Studios sees as canon. Just because something takes inspiration from the MCU, doesn't mean Marvel Studios considers it canon.

Agree to disagree. I just don't see any gain in the inspired by comics. I feel like the seal was meant to show this is what Marvel Studios sees as canon. Just because something takes inspiration from the MCU, doesn't mean Marvel Studios considers it canon.
Agree to disagree too. They are Like filler episodes in a TV Series, or like the filler comics set on earth-616. Also if u Read those the majority of them happens close to the movies to which are in line to them, so it's hard for the MCU to retcon them.

Also we're the only ones Who didn't add them, both Marvel database and the MCU Wiki added them in their timelines. 1 could be wrong, but 2?

P.S. The gain Is to spend more time in this universe we love (and hate some times).

Agree to disagree too. They are Like filler episodes in a TV Series, or like the filler comics set on earth-616. Also if u Read those the majority of them happens close to the movies to which are in line to them, so it's hard for the MCU to retcon them.

Also we're the only ones Who didn't add them, both Marvel database and the MCU Wiki added them in their timelines. 1 could be wrong, but 2?
And I've always disagreed with the wiki on that. Like I said if the majority here wants to add them, have at it. I just personally don't feel they're canon and will continue to treat them as such.

Inspired By (contradicted) = Non-canon
Inspired By (not contradicted) = Soft-canon
Red Stamp = Hard canon
Soft canon to me is just another way of saying non-canon. Something's either canon or it isn't. To me the inspired by comics easily fit like a branched timeline that isn't the exact same as the MCU.

And I've always disagreed with the wiki on that. Like I said if the majority here wants to add them, have at it. I just personally don't feel their canon and will continue to treat them as such.
Not only the wiki, Marvel database too, travis' order, that site that had all the mcu media listed, the guy on another site that has made a viewing order.

Tbh this Is the only timeline (which had all the media) to do this decision.

I mean, ever since this timeline existed, we've considered the inspired by comics not-canon. Since we're continuing DIrishB's legacy, I think we should honor that.

Now, if Feige came out and said "They're canon", that's another story, but I think we shouldn't retroactively start putting stuff on the timeline just because "they don't contradict anything".

I mean, ever since this timeline existed, we've considered the inspired by comics not-canon. Since we're continuing DIrishB's legacy, I think we should honor that.

Now, if Feige came out and said "They're canon", that's another story, but I think we shouldn't retroactively start putting stuff on the timeline just because "they don't contradict anything".
That's not how a franchaise works tho...

I could make and example with the Assassin's Creed french comics.

Also i think DlrishB wanted to make and Always update his timeline. So i don't see how we're going against his wishes.

Exactly how I feel. The only time I believe we should make changes from the original timeline is when we get new information that confirms there needs to be changes, like the timeline book.

Soft canon to me is just another way of saying non-canon. Something's either canon or it isn't. To me the inspired by comics easily fit like a branched timeline that isn't the exact same as the MCU.
Sometimes, media exists that is official and part of a universe but is obscure enough that higher level material can contradict it. There's a lot of tie-in media across serveral franchises that work the same and those comics are generally accepted as canonical for the most part.

Soft-canon just means canon that is able to be retconed to me. These Inspired By comics to me are basically set in the MCU until they're not, and then they're an alternate universe.

A franchise works by the creator telling you what is and what isn't canon. They did just that and you're choosing to ignore that
Buffy the origins was a canon comic miniseries that was a canon retelling of the movies. The miniseries wasn't included by the Legacy collection omnibus, but that doesn't Mean it's not Canon.

That's a clear example on what u Say it's wrong...

Another One could be with the trasmissions from the halo franchaise.

Sometimes, media exists that is official and part of a universe but is obscure enough that higher level material can contradict it. There's a lot of tie-in media across serveral franchises that work the same and those comics are generally accepted as canonical for the most part.

Soft-canon just means canon that is able to be retconed to me. These Inspired By comics to me are basically set in the MCU until they're not, and then they're an alternate universe.
That makes sense. I just feel if something is able to be retconned so easily, I have a hard time accepting it as canon in the first place. But, that's just me.

Soft Canon to me Is something that Is Canon until retconned by another media.

While hard Canon Is smt that can't be made not canonical.

Buffy the origins was a canon comic miniseries that was a canon retelling of the movies. The miniseries wasn't included by the Legacy collection omnibus, but that doesn't Mean it's not Canon.

That's a clear example on what u Say it's wrong...

Another One could be with the trasmissions from the halo franchaise.

How is that a clear example? First off, it's another franchise. How canon works in one franchise does not mean it works the same way in another franchise. There's dozens of examples of that (TRON, Star Trek, Star Wars).

Second, we're not talking about the inclusion or exclusion of the material in collected editions. We're talking about the literal creator, Will Corona Pilgrim, telling us it's not MCU canon.

Soft Canon to me Is something that Is Canon until retconned by another media.

While hard Canon Is smt that can't be made not canonical.
A lot of times stuff that is considered soft canon has such little impact to the overall universe and a lot of times I feel is actively ignored by those involved with the higher up projects, so it's personally easy for me to ignore them. Like I said if others do consider them canon that's perfectly fine, I just personally don't see them as such.

Latest posts

Back