Lost *spoilers*

As far as I can recall, I only said that Desmond as a time traveler was stupid (something I still don't really like) and not that you were. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

The Constant... I don't know. It scares me. I'm not sure about all of this Desmond time travel past/future craziness. It just seems too out there, even for a show like this... Also, we know that Desmond's mind travels back to the past every so often, but how did this enable him to see into the future and Charlie's deaths?

The Black Rock diary auction was definitely the best scene.

This show infuriates me sometimes. Especially when I know they're not going to answer some of the smaller questions.

I'm glad to know we pissed someone off enough for him to come back and yell at us when he is in fact wrong again.

I don't think it was time travel myself, not physical time travel anyways. His mind was stuck in the past, and it was like he forgot about everything past that single date. I say he was more remembering stuff about the past than actually time traveling to the past. The events in the present, helped him remember the events in the past type of deal.

But whatever, my two cents. Didn't like the episode myself.

I'm glad to know we pissed someone off enough for him to come back and yell at us when he is in fact wrong again.

I don't think it was time travel myself, not physical time travel anyways. His mind was stuck in the past, and it was like he forgot about everything past that single date. I say he was more remembering stuff about the past than actually time traveling to the past. The events in the present, helped him remember the events in the past type of deal.

But whatever, my two cents. Didn't like the episode myself.

I don't think that's the case because choices of what he did in the past is made because of his experience in the future, like finding Daniel. So the storm jump his mental state from 8 years to the future and back. I like how this relates to the episode where he went back and tried to change the past.

But to Jack's ranting, He was a Precog who only had his mind travel back in time (not forward) twice.

Even though its out of style from the show I love the time travel physics and adventures they have going. But I hope it only happens to Desmond

I'm going to see if i can find what theories of time travel this is basing itself on.

But all those doubters, the show creators were referring to this episode as dealing with the issue of time travel in regards to this show.

But how did he travel through time? That makes no sense.....

**** it, why bother talking about LOST theories, even the creators of the show have no ****ing clue what they are doing in it.

I'm done.

For like the tenth time I think

Good evening, class. Here is your required reading for the weekend:

1st reading.

2nd reading.

3rd reading.

Hope these are enlightening. Don't forget to check out Damon and Carlton's new podcast on the LOST website, in which they clear up some of the "time traveling" mysteries. And check out the new video podcast here to see the man they got to play Jacob (temporarily, obviously) for that split-second appearance in Season 3.

-- djf, LOSTie for life.

By the way, "The Constant" is now my all-time favorite episode. And if you didn't get at least a little teary eyed during the Desmond - Penny scene... you aren't human.

I believe its some for of Time not being linear, that its a state of consciousness, and the strange electro magnetism of the Island somehow triggered that to occur with Desmond.

Its all in perception. Time is not a force we know how to manipulate like most of the other forces of the universe. Time is something that we only perceive, and I think this concept is that if you knock yourself off your own linear path through time, you can experience your past and your future simultaneously. Its all about time perception, and it's Time Travel because you are Traveling between destinations within your personal perception of time. I think that's what happened with the flashes of the future last season, and I think that's what we just witnessed in this episode.

It is time travel, in the sense that I think this has established that humans cannot physically travel through time in Lost. Nobody can go beyond what they have experienced, and this makes it much easier to avoid the paradoxes that Heroes riddles itself with everytime Hiro does just about anything.

Yet at the same time, I think that there's something more to this, but I bet that has more to do with the Island, and how people perceive time there... It took like a day for a 20 minute helicopter ride to make it to the boat. But as Twitchy Dan says, the people on the island may not be perceiving time correctly....

OOOH. Does this mean the Flashbacks are actually kind of happening? Like not just for the audience, but that these characters are kind of going back and reliving certain things? I don't think that's right, but there's definitely a lot more to all this.

I'm with you, Parker.

It was a damn good episode, it would certainly be in my top ten, but its not my favorite.

:sure:

I thought it was pretty good, but it's still nothing compared to stuff like Lockdown or Numbers or Exodus or Live Together Die Alone.

In terms of the concept and how well it was executed (IMO), it's tops. And that it only deals with a few characters, like "Company Man" from Heroes (still their greatest episode).

But in terms of dramatic, Emmy-worthy performances and BIG, iconic moments, sure, there are many, many more episodes that would rank above this one -- the Desmond / Penny scene notwithstanding.

That being said, I hadn't experienced the feeling of being unable to move on the couch, because I was just that into the episode, every single second of it, ever before.

Ech. Time travel.

This can't end well.

Again, it wasn't "Time Travel", per se, but more of a "consciousness jump". And you're in the hands of Darlton, who said they spent more time on this episode than any other, just to make sure they didn't make any errors with their variation of the concept (see Ms. Hawking's whole "course-correcting" spiel in "Flashes Before Your Eyes"), like Heroes does on an almost weekly basis.

Silly Heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was very tired on Thursday night and - embarrassingly enough - fell asleep about half way through the episode. I finished it on ABC's website the other night.

Very good stuff, and it's great to see the time travel kind of sort of explained.

I'm with you, Parker.

It was a damn good episode, it would certainly be in my top ten, but its not my favorite.

Actually, I wouldn't even put it in my top 50%.

It was better than a lot of seasons 3 and 4, but I prefer almost any episode from the first two seasons to it.

In terms of the concept and how well it was executed (IMO), it's tops.

Sorry, I disagree on both.

Again, it wasn't "Time Travel", per se, but more of a "consciousness jump". And you're in the hands of Darlton, who said they spent more time on this episode than any other, just to make sure they didn't make any errors with their variation of the concept (see Ms. Hawking's whole "course-correcting" spiel in "Flashes Before Your Eyes"), like Heroes does on an almost weekly basis.

Silly Heroes.

Too bad I think their variation of the concept is corny and gimmicky. Heroes may have its consistency problems, but I'd still prefer that to something very consistent that I'm really not enjoying, which so far everything related to time travel and blunt, straightforward psychic visions.

Desmond was, IMO, a hundred times cooler as a surprisingly relatable and down-to-earth everyman caught up in the harshness of what happened in the Hatch than as a troubled prophet with supernatural powers.

Latest posts

Back