Batman/Superman Anthology Timelines

Two notes:
1. Hugo Strange appears heavily in Batman: Resurrection. He is referenced in Batman '89: Echoes posthumously. I love this because it feels like a hidden storyline that informs the overall storyline of this Batman iteration.

2. Okay, I'm going mad. I could SWEAR I saw the "Forget the Super" newspaper in one of the films, specifically Superman II. I even recall seeing the back of the newspaper and how it was identical to what is seen in the Human Target comic. However, I've tried finding it in the films recently and I honestly couldn't. According to auctions and movie prop sites, it is absolutely an officially produced newspaper for the 1978 film but was not actually featured in it. I'll look out for it more closely on my next rewatch regardless.

If it seriously wasn't featured, you could make the argument that the Human Target comic makes the "Forget the Super" newspaper canon, only it was written and published in the 2000s rather than the 1970s. If this is the case, the newspaper depicts Christopher Reeve's Superman between the events of Superman IV: The Quest for Peace and the brief cameo in The Flash... and thus, Human Target is "canon". I'm positive that wasn't intended when the show was made and I'm sure DC have completely forgot about the comic tie-in though, so yeah, it's still a very odd situation and you can easily ignore it completely and that makes total sense.

I finished the audiobook today. I am starting to wonder if the long delays in Batman 89 Echos are due to efforts to reconcile it with this book. Without spoiling there is a character setup in the book who is appearing in Echos. The next book could be the backstory for where they end up in Echos.

I remember when The Flash came out there was surprise that the comic creators were not informed of what movie was doing. But ultimately it made no difference. That movie is decades in the future from anything in the comics. Besides the altered timeline questions. Nothing contradicts anything. All we see is an old Bruce Wayne. No mention of other unseen characters

But these new books and the comics are a totally different situation. Both are close to the other time wise and over lap in characters. Plus there has been a lot of changes in DC and WB in recent years. Would not surprise if a dictate came from above to coordinate things between. The small references in other DC books are mostly Easter Eggs. Which do not always line up.
But these prose novels and comic books are being sold under the same Burtonverse label at almost exactly the same time. Makes sense to both go in parallel tracks even if they are not telling same stories.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back