Lame, I really hope this is just a rumor, because if This article is accurate it would make no sense. Unless Norton couldn't settle financially or creatively. Which is fine, understandable, and can be done peacefully. But just out of no where, no negotiation? Lame.

WTF dude... I thought they had iron clad contracts for all the main actors.

so did terrence howard.

but in all seriousness...this is lame. I'm starting to have some real worries about the Avengers movie and Marvel's entire approach in general. While Iron Man 2 was pretty good imo, it did show some of the flaws of this grand plan to tie all of these Marvel movies together. It just feels like the tail wagging the dog as they say.

Meh. Was kind of expecting this, I know Norton can be a pain when it comes to these sorts of projects, but I hoped we'd get him for at least one Avengers movie.

EDIT: Wait, but he wants to be in the project? What? Maybe they're feeling the burn of needing to pay all of their core characters' "Leading man" money? Hopefully this is just a negotiation technique?

Last edited:
Marvel's response:

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

OUCH.

I wonder if Norton not being happy with the final cut of Incredible Hulk was a factor?

Aside from the unnecessary confusion, what if they brought back Eric Bana?

Last edited:
Marvel's response:

OUCH.

I wonder if Norton not being happy with the final cut of Incredible Hulk was a factor?

Aside from the unnecessary confusion, what if they brought back Eric Bana?

Now that sounds like a lame reason, how could he not work as part of an ensemble? I don't discount the idea that an actor may not fit, but Norton? Seriously? I'd honestly perfer they said it was monetary, creative difference, schedule conflict or something reasonable that makes sense. I just don't get it.

I'm not surprised. Norton had a falling out over THE INCREDIBLE HULK and didn't do any of the publicity. None. And it seems that the falling out was over the ending, which he didn't want it to seem like the Hulk could be a villain. No doubt, Hulk is supposed to be a menace come THE AVENGERS and if Norton didn't want to go that what, Marvel could easily say, "He doesn't want to be part of the ensemble, and wants it to be all about his character". Which is quite possible. I dunno. I'm just guessing.

For all we know Ed Norton could be a real a-hole about it. Who knows?

It is just a bummer that the cast won't stay the same when Avengers comes around.... thing is that the Hulk will still look just the same thanks to the wonders of CGI so the more I think about it, the less I care that it won't be Ed as Banner.

I'm not surprised. Norton had a falling out over THE INCREDIBLE HULK and didn't do any of the publicity. None. And it seems that the falling out was over the ending, which he didn't want it to seem like the Hulk could be a villain. No doubt, Hulk is supposed to be a menace come THE AVENGERS and if Norton didn't want to go that what, Marvel could easily say, "He doesn't want to be part of the ensemble, and wants it to be all about his character". Which is quite possible. I dunno. I'm just guessing.

Actually I recall that the "falling out" was just a creative difference that everyone involved was very civil about and it's the press that tried to make it into a drama. And I think it was about 40 minutes or so of footage that was cut.

Though as you said, him wanting a bigger role could very well be the case. I'd really like to hear his side.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think Marvel tries to get the most for the least amount of money.

Which is odd considering if they shelled out the cash for Norton, the hype would be huge.

I'm thinking of boycotting the rest of these movies with my dollar. I would love to hear a better explanation and not one that sounds like complete ****e.

I'm beginning to think Marvel tries to get the most for the least amount of money.

Which is odd considering if they shelled out the cash for Norton, the hype would be huge.

Well we have to remember Marvel only had 3 movies so far and while they were all really successful they still have to reinvest a lot of it for upcoming movies which Avengers may cost A LOT more than the other movies. So really it's wise for them to be very tight with the budget. They should have given Norton an offer to accept or deny and if he denied then they probably should look for someone else. And they should have stated it was strictly money with no hard feelings. That's understandable, that's reasonable. I hope Norton tries to continue a negotiation because it would be a real shame to loose him.

Part of me hopes he'll surprise everyone at comic con

You ask me, Marvel couldn't give a crap about anything except spewing out the same three-act movie every year, except with different jokes and different reasons for Stan Lee to show up halfway through.

The Incredible Hulk, while less of a brain-rape than its predecessor, was an utterly pedestrian and forgettable popcorn movie. Norton's potential was ruined by a movie that just didn't care about the deeper ramifications of Banner's split-psyche. And now the Avengers movie obviously doesn't care about that either. They just need a big green monster for Captain America to fight while RDj takes off his shades, puts them back on again and then tightens his tuxedo, while saying something really fast to make it sound like well-written dialogue.

Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members.

Horse****.

I'm officially more excited about the new Spider-Man movie than anything Marvel Studios has to offer.

Last edited:
Back