Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Part 2)

Rewatching What-If and while the first time I thought they did a decent job matching the timeline with Fury's Big Week, having recently rewatched those movies and reread the tie-in comic, it's actually messy.

Things start out fine. The episode begins on Monday and shows Tony, Fury, and Natasha at the diner. Perfectly matching Monday, May 30th, 2011. However, after that, it's like they skip a day placing events like Coulson finding Thor's hammer and Thor at the crash site that evening on Tuesday when they should be Wednesday. Sure, you could chalk stuff up to "alternate timeline" but things like when Thor arrives on Earth or Ross going after Banner shouldn't really be different from the Sacred Timeline.

Rewatching What-If and while the first time I thought they did a decent job matching the timeline with Fury's Big Week, having recently rewatched those movies and reread the tie-in comic, it's actually messy.

Things start out fine. The episode begins on Monday and shows Tony, Fury, and Natasha at the diner. Perfectly matching Monday, May 30th, 2011. However, after that, it's like they skip a day placing events like Coulson finding Thor's hammer and Thor at the crash site that evening on Tuesday when they should be Wednesday. Sure, you could chalk stuff up to "alternate timeline" but things like when Thor arrives on Earth or Ross going after Banner shouldn't really be different from the Sacred Timeline.
What If...? timelines I feel should be treated as more divergences from a world inspired by the MCU rather than the exact timeline. Obviously they're alternate realities, but it makes more sense to assume that while they are mostly the same, and we can assume pre-divergent point's information that don't contradict the MCU are true such as Zola, they are somewhat different even before they begin, such as Ego being alive in 2015.

Does that make sense?

What If...? timelines I feel should be treated as more divergences from a world inspired by the MCU rather than the exact timeline. Obviously they're alternate realities, but it makes more sense to assume that while they are mostly the same, and we can assume pre-divergent point's information that don't contradict the MCU are true such as Zola, they are somewhat different even before they begin, such as Ego being alive in 2015.

Does that make sense?
I feel like it's more they didn't pay attention, but we have to work with what we got.

When in doubt, ignore and go with the nearest estimation.

Similarly, Arrow had a tie-in comic Dark Archer with flashbacks stated to be in 1985....but Tommy Merlyn wasn't born or conceived yet despite his birth being in February 1985. I ignored that and placed it slightly before 1985.

So take it as Wednesday here.

Morbius leaks
Set in Sony's Spider-Man Universe, obviously. Incident in San Francisco is mentioned and the "I Am Venom" line is kept. The Spider-Man graffiti is removed, Oscorp is removed, and Vulture's scenes in prison were cut.

Vulture is transported from Earth-199999 into Sony's Spider-Man Universe by Doctor Strange's spell somehow. It is unknown why he was sent to another universe since the spell appeared to only bring those who know Peter is Spider-Man to Earth-199999, but that is certainly the case. Adrian Toomes finds Michael and asks him if he wants to join a team and take down Spider-Man.

So Toomes is either recruiting characters from Sony's Spider-Man Universe to fight the Spider-Man of that universe or he's going to return with these multiverse characters to the MCU to take on Spider-Man. I don't know, man.

Morbius leaks
Set in Sony's Spider-Man Universe, obviously. Incident in San Francisco is mentioned and the "I Am Venom" line is kept. The Spider-Man graffiti is removed, Oscorp is removed, and Vulture's scenes in prison were cut.

Vulture is transported from Earth-199999 into Sony's Spider-Man Universe by Doctor Strange's spell somehow. It is unknown why he was sent to another universe since the spell appeared to only bring those who know Peter is Spider-Man to Earth-199999, but that is certainly the case. Adrian Toomes finds Michael and asks him if he wants to join a team and take down Spider-Man.

So Toomes is either recruiting characters from Sony's Spider-Man Universe to fight the Spider-Man of that universe or he's going to return with these multiverse characters to the MCU to take on Spider-Man. I don't know, man.
Okay, its nice to have some clarity around the setting of the movie but all the stuff about Adrian Toomes sounds confused.... as if the spell from NWH wasn't confusing enough now apparently it plops supervillains into other timelines at random

Correction to Shang-Chi 2006 order. Move segments starting at 0:24:07 and 0:45:51 to end.

????

Daredevil
1x04: "In the Blood" (0:00:00 - 0:01:57)
Jessica Jones 2x11: "AKA Three Lives and Counting" (0:27:58 - 0:31:13)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 1 (0:00:38 - 0:03:24) (Audio Only)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 2 (0:04:49 - 0:05:04) (Audio Only)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 2 (0:07:58 - 0:08:18) (Audio Only)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 2 (0:08:19 - 0:09:28)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 7 (0:49:41 - 0:49:45)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 7 (0:49:46 - 0:49:54) (Video Only)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 13 (1:20:58 - 1:22:14)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 15 (1:40:29 - 1:40:41)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 15 (1:40:55 - 1:41:07)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 13 (1:22:15 - 1:26:20)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 5 (0:24:07 - 0:24:40) (Video Only)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Chapter 7 (0:45:56 - 0:46:51)

Last edited:
And unsurprisingly, Moon Knight is after Hawkeye on the Disney + timeline. Given the show seems to be more standalone, hopefully there aren't any contradictions.

And unsurprisingly, Moon Knight is after Hawkeye on the Disney + timeline. Given the show seems to be more standalone, hopefully there aren't any contradictions.
Watched it. No indications of what month it is set in.
BUT there are time jumps.

Watched it. No indications of what month it is set in.
BUT there are time jumps.
The Ancient Egypt exhibit museum banner dates from the trailer can be seen more clearly on a poster inside the museum and say the event runs April 22nd-July 29th. I'm thinking a Late April/Early May 2025 placement makes sense given the Spring-like weather and to fit with the banner/poster. Of course, this would most likely mean that the show is after Multiverse of Madness which seems more late Winter/early Spring 2025. Wouldn't be surprised if the Disney + timeline lazily goes by release order and places MoM after though.

Latest posts

Back