DC Animated Universe - Timeline (v2.0)

PART I: OK here is my reasoning why "Superman: Brainiac Attacks" can actually fit into the DCAU with little to no issues. This post is in no way a response to the WatchTower Database video (which I have not watched since it was uploaded). This will be an image heavy post.

Before we get started, let's get something out of the way:

"For the die-hard fans of S:TAS, presumably the bulk of your readership, let me first say that the movie is not intended to be in continuity with the Timm-verse, despite utilizing those character and background designs. Similarly, the depiction of Lex Luthor was intentionally modeled after Gene Hackman's performance in the Donner films, to dovetail with Luthor's depiction in the upcoming Bryan Singer film. If a die-hard fan goes into 'Brainiac Attacks' with this in mind, it should be a smoother ride -- and hopefully an entertaining one." - Duane Capizzi, writer for the film

It is my opinion that this statement was absolutely intended to be damage control because he wasn't confident in the quality of the feature compared to the series it's apparently "based on". While I'm sure there is some truth to it, I normally don't take official statements like this too seriously. Instead, I look at the actual content itself (which is all fictional anyway) and judge it for myself.

These productions are all very intentional. There was absolutely a reason why in 2006, six years after the "The New Superman Adventures" ended, the team chose to go with these decade old designs. My opinion is either nostalgia (like "Batman & Harley Quinn") OR budgetary reasons. I imagine half-way through the feature, the team lost confidence so decided last minute to make "not canon" with the DCAU. There is a reason why the designs from "Justice League: Unlimited", "The Batman" or "Legion Of Superheroes" were NOT chosen, or even an all new design aesthetic.

For some, that statement alone is enough to satisfy the question. For those who aren't quite convinced, allow me to lay out my reasoning.

First understand that for the DCAU I have worked over a decade on laying out a chronological viewing order based on my own findings. When doing so, I only counted "on-screen media" - minus video games. TV shows, films, shorts, etc. are all counted in mine. Books, comics, novels etc. are not. My timeline will differ from many other's out there, but I am confident that it's as accurate as possible - however, I'm always open to change if new information trumps my current document.

Now, lets get into the meat of this breakdown.

Brainiac was last seen during the events of "Knight Time" where it was launched into space and seemingly destroyed.

1719927820762.png

In this film, Brainiac arrives to Earth via a Meteor.

1719927922806.png

A few years later in "Justice League" we find out Brainiac has a base of operations in deep space where he sends out duplicates of itself.

1719928170077.png
1719928227889.png

It is my opinion that the Brainiac featured in this film is NOT the original, but one of these duplicates.

1719928315363.png

While it appears that Brainiac is unfamiliar with Lex Luthor, despite the two having previously met in STAS, it's most likely due to being a highly damaged fragment whose memory banks were severely damaged in battle with Superman in the film. Lex also seems to play coy with Brainiac in my opinion.

1719928594501.png

It's also confirmed by Perry White that Brainiac has caused trouble before, which places this film after it's introduction in "Superman: The Animated Series".

"Brainiac just hijacked Lexlabs. If he's gonna cripple Metropolis by crashing all our computers like last time..."

Lex Luthor recently acquired another small piece of Kryptonite after spending "two years and three billion dollars mining deep space", which he has kept in his possession as protection against Superman. In "Justice League" it's revealed that Lex carried this for years, and ended up getting cancer from it's radiation.

1719929174986.png
1719929266641.png

Now to explain Lex's attitude shift. Lex Luthor is un-characteristically in great spirits at Superman's recent failures (See the "Legacy" two parter) – but makes mention that as Superman's popularity rises, his falls. I agree it's jarring and this is the best explanation I can come up with.

1719929742262.png

When Phantom Lois mentions "That Green Lantern guy?", she's either referring to Kyle Rayner, whom Superman has worked with before, or John Stewart, who is active by this time (2002 in my timeline), but hasn't been seen on-screen yet. Most likely Kyle Rayner, since Superman has worked with him before.

1719930315301.png

Part II:

Metropolis has a new mayor by this time (Lady eating Nachos).

1719930810531.png

LexCorp tower appears to be a brown, extremely tall skyscraper in this film, although it's possible that it's an entirely different building. After All, Lex owns/runs the city.

1719930907010.png

Lexcorp building in STAS for reference:

1719931086470.png

In "Apokolips…Now!: Part I" the Ayers Island Nuclear Power Plant was destroyed. It seems it was replaced with a new Power Plant by this time.

1719931427352.png

The plant as depicted in the series:

1719931206877.png

Mr. Mxyzptlk returns at the end of this film off camera. Perry White hasn't met him before and doesn't know how to pronounce his name.

"Seems some superpowered imp calling himself Mr. Mxyz-- Mxyz--Aw, whatever he's called. He's causing some kind of cockamamie topsy-turvy down at the wharf." Perry was turned into a Walrus by Mxy in their previous encounter. I'm not recalling if the two actually met though.

1719931740704.png

Now, as for where specifically I have it placed in my timeline. I have The New Superman Adventures ending in 2000. Then this picks up in 2002 - which gives the Public time to re-gain Superman's trust since the end of Legacy. I have this film set during the third season of Static Shock before "Toys In The Hood" due to Superman's model being updated as well as George Newbern taking over for Tim Daly. The new model is identical to Justice League Season Two/Unlimited with the addition of blue eyes. George sounds a bit older than Tim in my opinion, and I have this crossover set before "Justice League" so this provides a nice transition to the "new" Superman that will be seen in the rest of the saga. In short, this film takes place between The New Superman Adventures and Justice League Season One.

Static Shock Superman Model:

1719932404025.png

Justice League S2/JLU Superman Model:

1719932692325.png

And that is all I got. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk and keep enjoying the DCAU!

Part II:

Metropolis has a new mayor by this time (Lady eating Nachos).

View attachment 2276

LexCorp tower appears to be a brown, extremely tall skyscraper in this film, although it's possible that it's an entirely different building. After All, Lex owns/runs the city.

View attachment 2277

Lexcorp building in STAS for reference:

View attachment 2278

In "Apokolips…Now!: Part I" the Ayers Island Nuclear Power Plant was destroyed. It seems it was replaced with a new Power Plant by this time.

View attachment 2280

The plant as depicted in the series:

View attachment 2279

Mr. Mxyzptlk returns at the end of this film off camera. Perry White hasn't met him before and doesn't know how to pronounce his name.

"Seems some superpowered imp calling himself Mr. Mxyz-- Mxyz--Aw, whatever he's called. He's causing some kind of cockamamie topsy-turvy down at the wharf." Perry was turned into a Walrus by Mxy in their previous encounter. I'm not recalling if the two actually met though.

View attachment 2281

Now, as for where specifically I have it placed in my timeline. I have The New Superman Adventures ending in 2000. Then this picks up in 2002 - which gives the Public time to re-gain Superman's trust since the end of Legacy. I have this film set during the third season of Static Shock before "Toys In The Hood" due to Superman's model being updated as well as George Newbern taking over for Tim Daly. The new model is identical to Justice League Season Two/Unlimited with the addition of blue eyes. George sounds a bit older than Tim in my opinion, and I have this crossover set before "Justice League" so this provides a nice transition to the "new" Superman that will be seen in the rest of the saga. In short, this film takes place between The New Superman Adventures and Justice League Season One.

Static Shock Superman Model:

View attachment 2282

Justice League S2/JLU Superman Model:

View attachment 2283

And that is all I got. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk and keep enjoying the DCAU!
Hmm...

Closer to the end of Superman: TAS or the start of Justice League?

Or median, i.e. set in "2000"?
I have the end of The New Superman Adventures occurring in 2000.

Brainiac Attacks I have placed in 2002.

Justice League starts in 2003.

This is all according to my own findings, personal "head-canon" if you will.

I have to rework a bunch of years and dates and orders, all while my internet is going out constantly.
I can't pay my internet nor my phone bill today so it's literally about to be shut off until I get paid.
Any help I can provide I will. My years in my timeline are based around a good many clues within the episodes themselves.

Latest posts

Back