The Apple Products Thread

Re: The iPhone and iPod thread

my iPhone's currently dead (it exploded in the car wreck). I'm waiting around on the replacement, I'm hoping for a 16GB or 3G model.

My Touch's wallpaper.

la_Baronesa__by_belldandies.jpg

that is awesome! who is that and where can i get those glasses?

That is my personal idol, Natasha de Conbray, aka The Baroness from the terrorist organization, Cobra. As for the glasses, I got my Baroness glasses at LensCrafters.

That's an awesome drawing of the Baroness.

Who did it?

Belldandies on DeviantArt

I currently have this

03943c48aa811ceb.jpg

I'm also playing with the new stuff in the 1.1.3 patch.

I'm also playing with the new stuff in the 1.1.3 patch.

Yeah...I'm a little disappointed we didn't get more than we did. Seems like we should have more functionality by now. No games...

The Web clips are pretty cool. So is the faux-GPS. The texting thing means nothing to me as I rarely text anyone but my wife. Maybe I'll start texting Houde more now.

Yeah...I'm a little disappointed we didn't get more than we did. Seems like we should have more functionality by now. No games...

The Web clips are pretty cool. So is the faux-GPS. The texting thing means nothing to me as I rarely text anyone but my wife. Maybe I'll start texting Houde more now.

This is mostly for the 3rd party realeases at the beginning on february. I presonally love the lyrics option, adding new home pages, and web clips.

I use Meebo.com for chat function, and i unfortunately text far too many people.

This is mostly for the 3rd party realeases at the beginning on february. I presonally love the lyrics option, adding new home pages, and web clips.

I use Meebo.com for chat function, and i unfortunately text far too many people.

I use Meebo too - it's one of the best web apps I think that's come out.

I haven't tried doing anything with the lyrics feature but I'll try to look into that today.

I use a separate Gmail account for the mail on my iPhone and the 1.1.3 update really makes some improvements on that. Your email actually syncs with Gmail and I've noticed that things like pictures are staying in the messages, whereas before they would disappear after a day or so and say the attachment hasn't been downloaded. It was annoying.

1.1.4 update was released today. I read that it eliminates the semi-annoying problem of Safari tabs being removed from memory and having to reload but I haven't tried it myself yet.

So I did a jailbreak on my iPhone a couple weeks ago.

It's awesome. I wish I'd have done it sooner.

Now I have a bunch of cool games like labyrinth and pool, a nice RSS reader, a cool drum machine, a piano, a guitar, and a crossword puzzle app. Very cool.

It was real easy. I was surprised.

Kind of like your mom.

I miss my iPod.

I don't recall if I mentioned it before, but I misplaced my Nano in a hostel in Geneva last August, and my music whoring ways haven't been the same ever since.

It hasn't really been a problem up until now, because now I'm actually working and am not home with my music collection everyday. My work puts me on a secure Ubuntu-based workstation where I can't even pop a data DVD loaded with MP3s because its devoid of MP3 playback codecs.

So now I'm seriously considering buying a new iPod. It's not important for it to be the biggest, fanciest thing ever with Cover Flow and video playback and all that feature creep nonsense, so I'm leaning towards Nano.

The question is, do I buy one now - the one jokingly known as 'the fatty' - for about 250 American dollars or am I better off waiting till September when they MIGHT release a new generation (which only interests me if they increase its capacity)?

My brother - the gadgetophile father of my nephew, who tracks him using GPS systems - says that the new Nano is fairly maxed out in terms of functionality and might not see a new generation this September.

I can't stand waiting for the next generation, but at the same time I don't want to hate myself for having bought something that will be 'made better' in 6 months time.

I miss my iPod.

I don't recall if I mentioned it before, but I misplaced my Nano in a hostel in Geneva last August, and my music whoring ways haven't been the same ever since.

It hasn't really been a problem up until now, because now I'm actually working and am not home with my music collection everyday. My work puts me on a secure Ubuntu-based workstation where I can't even pop a data DVD loaded with MP3s because its devoid of MP3 playback codecs.

So now I'm seriously considering buying a new iPod. It's not important for it to be the biggest, fanciest thing ever with Cover Flow and video playback and all that feature creep nonsense, so I'm leaning towards Nano.

The question is, do I buy one now - the one jokingly known as 'the fatty' - for about 250 American dollars or am I better off waiting till September when they MIGHT release a new generation (which only interests me if they increase its capacity)?

My brother - the gadgetophile father of my nephew, who tracks him using GPS systems - says that the new Nano is fairly maxed out in terms of functionality and might not see a new generation this September.

I can't stand waiting for the next generation, but at the same time I don't want to hate myself for having bought something that will be 'made better' in 6 months time.

The new "fatty" Nanos do have cover flow and video.

If you don't care about the cover flow and other eye candy, you might want to look into a used previous-gen Nano. Apple might even sell refurbs on their site, if that is doable for you. They don't do video though.

And I don't know if prices are different for you, but you are talking American dollars...the 4GB models are $149 and the 8GB are $199. None are $249. The 80GB Classic is $249.

The new "fatty" Nanos do have cover flow and video.
I'm pretty sure you and I have agreed that Cover Flow is kind of Orson Scott Retarded.

E said:
If you don't care about the cover flow and other eye candy, you might want to look into a used previous-gen Nano. Apple might even sell refurbs on their site, if that is doable for you.
I don't own a credit card, so I wouldn't be able to order those, but I had no idea Apple did refurbs. I have to rely on cash purchases.

But you wouldn't know anything about cash, you card-wielding elitist. :p

E said:
And I don't know if prices are different for you, but you are talking American dollars...the 4GB models are $149 and the 8GB are $199. None are $249. The 80GB Classic is $249.
Yeah, I know. I presume it's more expensive here because of costs of shipping and whatnot. I could be wrong though, but it might have something to do with the rapid depreciation of the dollar.

The dollar went down by ten pesos in the past year, so if you work out the math it means that a P10,000 8GB Nano is actually $199 at the old exchange rate, rather than being P8,000 as it should be now ($199 x P40), and it's likely they wouldn't lower the price because of how much it cost to bring the damn things over last September.

(I seriously doubt there is enough demand in my poor depressed country to ship them here on a continuing basis.)

My concern really is that I'm greedy and want to use the loss of my old 2GB Nano as an excuse to 'upgrade' to a new 8GB fatty, which will cost me exactly the same amount I paid for my first Nano... but I don't want to end up whining in the event that they introduce a new Nano by September.

I'm pretty sure you and I have agreed that Cover Flow is kind of Orson Scott Retarded.

Yeah. I don't hate it but there's no point in it. And it KILLS the battery.

But you wouldn't know anything about cash, you card-wielding elitist. :p

I've had the same dollar bill in my wallet for the last week and a half.

My concern really is that I'm greedy and want to use the loss of my old 2GB Nano as an excuse to 'upgrade' to a new 8GB fatty, which will cost me exactly the same amount I paid for my first Nano... but I don't want to end up whining in the event that they introduce a new Nano by September.

Yeah - tough call. I don't know what the release schedule is like but you're much more likely to see a price drop within the next couple months. If you try to play that game you will never win, though. If new models come out in September they will drop the price on them in 3 months (or so).

I've had the same dollar bill in my wallet for the last week and a half.
Stop robbing your kids of their lunch money, you penny pincher.

E said:
Yeah - tough call. I don't know what the release schedule is like but you're much more likely to see a price drop within the next couple months. If you try to play that game you will never win, though.
That's true, but I'm just going to limit my time frame between now and September, any other developments in pricing and such after that will be irrelevant since I want a player that bad. I can only wait so long.

Additionally, there's no way for me to be certain that a post-September price drop will carry over to the Philippines before 2009.

i hate to admit it... I prefer coverflow over list view

reminds me of being a kid going through my parents' LPs

Yes, the nano will survive the next refresh, as will the shuffle and touch. This may be the last refresh for the Classic. As much as people seem to ***** about the Touch/iPhone/Nano/Shuffle's lack of high capacity, they massively outsell the HDD based models, and have since the intro of the nano.

My guess, Sept 09 there will be no HDD based iPods in the 09 refresh.

I would really be surprised if that were the case. Maybe only one model, but I can't imagine they would totally ditch them. It's not like they aren't selling any of them.

I would really be surprised if that were the case. Maybe only one model, but I can't imagine they would totally ditch them. It's not like they aren't selling any of them.

Not completely without precedent, remember, prior to the Nano there was a HDD based mini. It was quietly replaced with the nano.

Latest posts

Back