The Apple Products Thread

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I'm officially getting an iPod Touch as a graduation gift in a few weeks. (My first iPod ever (!))

I am teh excited.

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I'm officially getting an iPod Touch as a graduation gift in a few weeks. (My first iPod ever (!))

I am teh excited.

Rock on. I love my touch, I take it EVERYWHERE.

1. I was criticizing the iPhone. I never really had a problem with iPods.

2. I was kind of wrong. I have friends with iPhones and they don't pay nearly as much in bills and whatnot as I thought. I just know I wouldn't want/be able to afford one.

3. I made one post, in l33t, meaning I wasn't very serious/didn't care very much about the argument.

4. **** y'all, I'm gettin' my iPod!!

In other news, can someone tell me about jailbreaking? I'm probably going to try and do it right away when I get my Touch and I'd like to know how much trouble it's going to be.

2. I was kind of wrong. I have friends with iPhones and they don't pay nearly as much in bills and whatnot as I thought. I just know I wouldn't want/be able to afford one.

3. I made one post, in l33t, meaning I wasn't very serious/didn't care very much about the argument.

In other news, can someone tell me about jailbreaking? I'm probably going to try and do it right away when I get my Touch and I'd like to know how much trouble it's going to be.

That post was a clear knock against iPod/iPhone as a pop culture item. It certainly wasn't about its shortcomings as a phone, MP3 player, or other such device. I am heartily amused that you are getting one now.

That said, jailbreaking is awesome. I hesitated for a long time because I was afraid of bricking it but eventually I went ahead with it. I didn't even read all of the directions completely and I still had no problems. it opens up a whole new world with the device - all kinds of games, useful apps, and whatnot. And I can only imagine that it's even better on an iPod Touch because web apps are completely useless if you don't have a wifi connection.

Firstly, Jailbreaking voids your warranty, so if you manage to brick it, you're proper ****ed.

Secondly, any Touch you get after June will have the Version 2.0 software, which will have preinstalled things like IM clients, and will allow access to the AppInstaller.

Just a little food for thought.

Firstly, Jailbreaking voids your warranty, so if you manage to brick it, you're proper ****ed.

This is true, however I believe that there are several de-bricking tools available now. My understanding is that they should be able to unbrick just about anything; I read stories of people using them on devices that were bricked long ago and it fixed them.

Also it is my understanding that if you restore the device it is not detectable as having been jailbroken.

That post was a clear knock against iPod/iPhone as a pop culture item. It certainly wasn't about its shortcomings as a phone, MP3 player, or other such device. I am heartily amused that you are getting one now.
Oh, I was half-joking. I do respect that iPods and iPhones are pretty cool and well-made, I was just annoyed at the overpricing of the iPhone and because they were doing the typical gadget launch tactic of hammering you over the head for weeks through every single media outlet with how meaningless your life is if you don't have one.

Harumph.

I still don't like Macs!
That said, jailbreaking is awesome. I hesitated for a long time because I was afraid of bricking it but eventually I went ahead with it. I didn't even read all of the directions completely and I still had no problems. it opens up a whole new world with the device - all kinds of games, useful apps, and whatnot. And I can only imagine that it's even better on an iPod Touch because web apps are completely useless if you don't have a wifi connection.
Coool.

I was looking at videos on YouTube the other night about all the stuff you can get. I want game emulators. And the virtual guitar.

Secondly, any Touch you get after June will have the Version 2.0 software, which will have preinstalled things like IM clients, and will allow access to the AppInstaller.

Just a little food for thought.
EDIT: E stole the words right out of my mouth. (Thief!)

I think I'm going to jailbreak it when I get it and just restore it when 2.0 comes out.

I'd like to do things legally and without voiding the warranty...but I'm not waiting 2-4 weeks to get those cool looking apps.

Last edited:
Oh, I was half-joking. I do respect that iPods and iPhones are pretty cool and well-made, I was just annoyed at the overpricing of the iPhone and because they were doing the typical gadget launch tactic of hammering you over the head for weeks through every single media outlet with how meaningless your life is if you don't have one.

Yeah, but that's not the fault of the device.

I still don't like Macs!

Try it before you knock it. I didn't like them either until I had to use one.

I was looking at videos on YouTube the other night about all the stuff you can get. I want game emulators. And the virtual guitar.

The emulators are OK. I have the NES, Gameboy, and Sega emulators...the NES one has the best games but is probably the hardest to use. But it's great for games like Tetris. Wheel of Fortune is probably my favorite game on it actually.

The PocketGuitar app is pretty cool. There is also a cool Piano app, but my favorite instrument-type app is Drummer. It's set up like an 808 and is a lot of fun to play.

Yeah, but that's not the fault of the device.
I'm sorry for making the iPod cry. :cry:

iPodTears.jpg

Try it before you knock it. I didn't like them either until I had to use one.
I just don't like the interface. I'm too used to PCs and the various things that are supposed to make stuff easier or less time-consuming just annoy me.
The emulators are OK. I have the NES, Gameboy, and Sega emulators...the NES one has the best games but is probably the hardest to use. But it's great for games like Tetris. Wheel of Fortune is probably my favorite game on it actually.

The PocketGuitar app is pretty cool. There is also a cool Piano app, but my favorite instrument-type app is Drummer. It's set up like an 808 and is a lot of fun to play.
Sweet.

I'm sorry for making the iPod cry. :cry:

iPodTears.jpg

I just don't like the interface. I'm too used to PCs and the various things that are supposed to make stuff easier or less time-consuming just annoy me.
While I am an aging troll who is almost incapable of learning new devices, I have to say this whole "PCs are easier to use, Macs are easier to use" is nonsense. It's all relative to a) whichever interface suits your personality more, b) whichever control scheme you spent more time with and c) your own flexibility and patience to learn anything.

(As an aside, yes, Macs do crash less than PCs, but that's not interface, that's stability and architecture)

I myself have trouble learning on any desktop or laptop computer that doesn't have a series of familiar keyboard shortcuts, having been raised on DOS and all that. I think a mouse is painfully slow for accessing menus and all that.

This is why I hate Office 2007, because of how radically different in terms of menu shortcuts.

I need a new iPod. Mine disappeared and I spent most of today looking for it. Especially when I realized I had forgotten how ****ing expensive they are.

If anyone knows where to get a cheap-ish one (That isn't a Shuffle), let me know.

Problem: I want to transfer my mp3s into iTunes but it's sorting some of them wrong. For instance, in coverflow it shows one album three times, each one with a few songs from that album under it. I swear all the tags match, I've checked them about ten times now. It's not a huge deal, but I know it's going to annoy me so ****ing much.

It might be where they come from...Let's just say I didn't get them off of iTunes...

Problem: I want to transfer my mp3s into iTunes but it's sorting some of them wrong. For instance, in coverflow it shows one album three times, each one with a few songs from that album under it. I swear all the tags match, I've checked them about ten times now. It's not a huge deal, but I know it's going to annoy me so ****ing much.

It might be where they come from...Let's just say I didn't get them off of iTunes...

Are they compilation albums (that is, a single album with multiple artists)? If so, make sure you set the album artist (I use "Various") and it should fix that. It also depends on how you have them sorted - if you are sorting by artist it will show it multiple times - if you sort by album and set the album artist properly it will not.

Are they compilation albums (that is, a single album with multiple artists)? If so, make sure you set the album artist (I use "Various") and it should fix that. It also depends on how you have them sorted - if you are sorting by artist it will show it multiple times - if you sort by album and set the album artist properly it will not.

also, in each individual song in such cases, check the sorting option when you go into "get info" and make sure all the sorting info matches (in addition to the normal song info

for instance, i had two regina spektors on my iPod for a while because one was sorted as Spektor, Regina and the other Regina Spektor.

also, in each individual song in such cases, check the sorting option when you go into "get info" and make sure all the sorting info matches (in addition to the normal song info

for instance, i had two regina spektors on my iPod for a while because one was sorted as Spektor, Regina and the other Regina Spektor.

Similarly, I've had songs that I've...obtained...where the person who tagged it inexplicably had a space after the name, like "The Beatles" vs. "The Beatles ".

Latest posts

Back