Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I haven't been on here in quite a while, but I was going to update my own guide with some references from your guide. That being said, I have always kept DD season 1 before season 2 of Shield because I didn't like the placement of DD after episode 6. (I'm not OCD on dates, but rather logic of storytelling.) I was curious what the reasoning was for bumping DD up to after episode 5 rather than 6? Does it work better or worse for you guys there?

I haven't been on here in quite a while, but I was going to update my own guide with some references from your guide. That being said, I have always kept DD season 1 before season 2 of Shield because I didn't like the placement of DD after episode 6. (I'm not OCD on dates, but rather logic of storytelling.) I was curious what the reasoning was for bumping DD up to after episode 5 rather than 6? Does it work better or worse for you guys there?

Basically, because we know AoS 2x20's flashback portion at the beginning of episode occurred 1 year prior to the present day events in that episode (which occurs just after Age of Ultron).

Thus, we know the 2x20 flashback occurs 1 year before May, 2015, also sometime in Spring, 2014. And since that flashback picks up immediately before the events of AoS 2x01, we know AoS Season 2 begins in Spring, 2014 (instead of the Fall, 2014 to align with air dates/real time). That may not have been intentional, but it's how the timeline worked out. Thus, the first five episodes of AoS Season 2 are assumed to occur from Spring to Summer of 2014, with Daredevil picking up in August and running into September, 2014.

Thus, logically speaking, best way to make sense of it all is to assume a few week break between AoS 2x05 and 2x06. Those episodes don't follow one right after the other as many AoS eps do, so that allowed a logical break point to insert the events of Daredevil.

While I can understand your reasoning for keeping Daredevil before AoS Season 2, based on all internal evidence, the best chronological/timeline approach is AoS 2x01-2x05, Daredevil Season 1, and AoS 2x06-2x23.

It's unfocused and scattered, but chronologically/timeline-wise it's sound reasoning.

Basically, because we know AoS 2x20's flashback portion at the beginning of episode occurred 1 year prior to the present day events in that episode (which occurs just after Age of Ultron).

Thus, we know the 2x20 flashback occurs 1 year before May, 2015, also sometime in Spring, 2014. And since that flashback picks up immediately before the events of AoS 2x01, we know AoS Season 2 begins in Spring, 2014 (instead of the Fall, 2014 to align with air dates/real time). That may not have been intentional, but it's how the timeline worked out. Thus, the first five episodes of AoS Season 2 are assumed to occur from Spring to Summer of 2014, with Daredevil picking up in August and running into September, 2014.

Thus, logically speaking, best way to make sense of it all is to assume a few week break between AoS 2x05 and 2x06. Those episodes don't follow one right after the other as many AoS eps do, so that allowed a logical break point to insert the events of Daredevil.

While I can understand your reasoning for keeping Daredevil before AoS Season 2, based on all internal evidence, the best chronological/timeline approach is AoS 2x01-2x05, Daredevil Season 1, and AoS 2x06-2x23.

It's unfocused and scattered, but chronologically/timeline-wise it's sound reasoning.

Ok that sounds reasonable. Yeah, Shield has been keeping their plotline connected every episode so it's hard to judge where to stop for the Netflix shows. But I agree that 5 ends on a note where really the only thread left hanging is the Diviner in Whitehall's possession, which they don't even pick up for another 3 episodes. The only threads that immediately carry through to 6 is Bobbi and Simmons showing up. Thanks for clearing that up.

Now onto Jessica Jones placement...haha.

Until the Civil War prelude I never understood why people didn't like Iron Man 3, but I'm seeing now that without the casts' charm the story is REALLY bad. I can't imagine what the next issue is about to be like. Although, I feel like all the adaptations have been really poor in general.

Last edited:
Now onto Jessica Jones placement...haha.

Hard to move Jessica and AoS around really. Can't remember what puts those AoS episodes in the early months but Jessica Jones is put during that time due to the weather and the general cold appearance

Hard to move Jessica and AoS around really. Can't remember what puts those AoS episodes in the early months but Jessica Jones is put during that time due to the weather and the general cold appearance

There is a hard date of January 20 seen on a (I think) police or coroner's report (can't remember specifically) in episode 3 of Jessica Jones.

This is repeatedly mentioned as having occurred a year before. Since we can't be sure it's exactly a year I can't place specific dates for the present day events of Jessica Jones beyond the months (which is backed up in change in weather as you said).

Rewatching AOS s2e13 it occurred to me that the attack at convulsion's school had to occur in the fall not January as the current timeline suggests since the football team is practicing on the field. Football is a fall sport in High School. Or at least it has been anywhere i have ever been. Couldn't image much of a spring football season in Wisconsin.

In my opinion the placement of AOS season 2 in the timeline is shaky at best past e5. Frankly I've been searching for any clues that can give us a better understanding of where it is. Especially related to its placement to Jessica Jones.

Another possibility that might work would be to place s2e6-22 in march 2015 to May 2015. would help the lack of a winter in s2 of shield. just look the trees are always green.west Virginia, new york (e7), Massachusetts (e8), Vancouver (e9), Wisconsin (e13), dc (e14), Cleveland (e18), all have green foliage. Im sure there are more examples. In fact the only snow we see is on a mountain near afterlife and give that afterlife is presumably in the Himalayas its reasonable to believe that some of the mountain faces have snow on them year round anyways.

Any ideas to rectify the timeline?

Rewatching AOS s2e13 it occurred to me that the attack at convulsion's school had to occur in the fall not January as the current timeline suggests since the football team is practicing on the field. Football is a fall sport in High School. Or at least it has been anywhere i have ever been. Couldn't image much of a spring football season in Wisconsin.

In my opinion the placement of AOS season 2 in the timeline is shaky at best past e5. Frankly I've been searching for any clues that can give us a better understanding of where it is. Especially related to its placement to Jessica Jones.

Another possibility that might work would be to place s2e6-22 in march 2015 to May 2015.

Wouldn't that work against your suggestion of 2x13 occurring in Fall due to the Football game?

would help the lack of a winter in s2 of shield. just look the trees are always green.west Virginia, new york (e7), Massachusetts (e8), Vancouver (e9), Wisconsin (e13), dc (e14), Cleveland (e18), all have green foliage. Im sure there are more examples. In fact the only snow we see is on a mountain near afterlife and give that afterlife is presumably in the Himalayas its reasonable to believe that some of the mountain faces have snow on them year round anyways.

Any ideas to rectify the timeline?

I suppose I can just scoot up AoS 2x06-2x13 to occur during Fall/Winter, with the latter half of the Season occurring in early portion of the next year into May (for Age of Ultron crossover eps).

E14 states around minute 28 that hunter has been gone nearly a week which occurred e13. So no gap there.

Last edited:
E14 states around minute 28 that hunter has been gone nearly a week which occurred e13. So no gap there.

Yeah, that's the problem, there are no real spots to place a decent sized gap to account for the fact Season 2 covers an entire year. Short of just assuming a 2 episodes per month type approach (which is hard to force given the nature of the episodes following right after the other for the most part), and given the lack of any real specific timeline markers, I'm not sure how to make sense of it. As you said, it's a paradox.

I have a question, just rewatched 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2x06: "A Fractured House"' and Coulson says to the impronised Ward: 'I sat up in this chair everyday for three and a halve weeks'.
Although it isn't clear when Coulson started doing that, but shouldn't Season 2 be placed closer to the end of season 1 because of this?

I have a question, just rewatched 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2x06: "A Fractured House"' and Coulson says to the impronised Ward: 'I sat up in this chair everyday for three and a halve weeks'.
Although it isn't clear when Coulson started doing that, but shouldn't Season 2 be placed closer to the end of season 1 because of this?

You also have to keep in mind that he was trying to kill himself for quite some time as he told Skye in E1 of the season. So maybe Coulson didn't sit down there until Ward calmed down and stopped hurting himself...

fuzzyfoot said:
You also have to keep in mind that he was trying to kill himself for quite some time as he told Skye in E1 of the season. So maybe Coulson didn't sit down there until Ward calmed down and stopped hurting himself...
That was my impression to make sense of both that and the "all winter" comment.

Makes sense, thank you all for clearing that up.

Slightly off topic but will there be a timeline of the DC animated movies since they are mostly (of course gods and monsters ect... are not) one shared continuity since Justice League: War I believe. I only ask as i'm curious if it goes in order of release or if Justice league war > Justice League: Throne of Atlantis > Son of Batman ect... or some other order.

Slightly off topic but will there be a timeline of the DC animated movies since they are mostly (of course gods and monsters ect... are not) one shared continuity since Justice League: War I believe. I only ask as i'm curious if it goes in order of release or if Justice league war > Justice League: Throne of Atlantis > Son of Batman ect... or some other order.

I place it in this order (corrected thanks to SexySnorlax):

Justice League - War
Son of Batman
Justice League - Throne of Atlantis
Batman vs Robin
Batman - Bad Blood
Justice League vs Titans

For the most part order of release works, but I put Throne of Atlantis after JL - War as JLW has an after credit scene of Ocean Master vowing revenge due to death of Atlantean King from Darkseid's invasion, so I doubt much time passes between War and ToA.

Everything else so far works best in order of release other than ToA. Batman - Bad Blood and JL vs Titans aren't released yet so just guessing, but since Damien Wayne appears in Bad Blood presumably it occurs after SoB and BvsR.

That's just my take on it though. :)

Last edited:
Sweet I was thinking the two batman and two JLA were together was not sure where Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back