Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Captain France said:
Marvel's Iron Man 2 Adaptation #1 (of 2) will be released in the beginning of november.

It's of course the comic adaptation of the movie of the same name.

Interesting. I'll add it also since it's obviously canon, even though it's probably the direct adaptation of the film. Thanks for posting that info!

Now that the Avengers blu-ray is now ou are you going to split the film into chapters and place the boxing scene with Fury in the correct place as well as update Item 47?

JBeard said:
Now that the Avengers blu-ray is now ou are you going to split the film into chapters and place the boxing scene with Fury in the correct place as well as update Item 47?

Yes I'll split it into DVD chapters like the other films. How is they Cap/Fury boxing scene out of place? And I'll also update for Item 47 once I get a chance to see it.

It may be several weeks, though.

Updated for the new Marvel One-Shot "Item 47". I'll be updating for the Avengers DVD (breaking it up into specific chapters spread across the individual October 19-22 days they occur and intertwining with the post-credits scene from Captain America - The First Avenger with Cap and Fury in the boxing gym, which is also featured in The Avengers). Give it a few weeks and I'll have it up.

I just watched Item 47 and the deleted scenes. I really liked the one scene with Captain America trying to adjust to the world and wondering whether to call Peggy Carter. The extended scenes and alternate opening and ending really gave Maria Hill some character instead of her being useless.

Yeah I did like the gravitas of that scene, but I thought that Peggy would be way too old to be alive. But then I noticed on her file that she was born in 1919. Making her 24 in Cap and 93 in the Avengers. I honestly thought she would have been late twenties or early thirties in Cap. And apparently Cap's only 25. Well 27 when he's frozen. Go figure.

I really liked the Captain America deleted scenes too. While the Maria Hill scene gave her more and to and expanded upon who she is, I'm glad they didn't put it in the film. That bookend concept seems like it wouldn't have fit well.

DARKKNIGHT said:
While the Maria Hill scene gave her more and to and expanded upon who she is, I'm glad they didn't put it in the film. That bookend concept seems like it wouldn't have fit well.
I felt the same way. I wish they could have found some other way to develop her character b/c she really was pretty useless. But there was so much going on in this movie that it's pretty forgivable.

I finally picked up The Avengers DVD and broke everything down by DVD chapter occurring on specific days. I'll get that posted sometime this weekend.

As for the cut Cap and Maria Hill scenes: in terms of both it just came down to length/ the film is already 2hrs and 15 min. I suppose the Cap adjusting to the modern world stuff, while important to the character, they felt would be better served by focusing on that in the Cap sequel. And if they'd not deleted those Cap scenes and then focused on it again in the Cap sequel like they're planning, it'd just have come off as a rehash, so in that sense I'm glad they cut those scenes.

The Maria Hill scenes I think added more dimension and purpose to her character, but again I suppose were cut merely due to time constraints and her character being less essential to the plot. I'd personally like to have seen those remain, but understand their exclusion.

I must have repeated the Thanos mid credits scene 7 or 8 times...can't wait to see him in Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers 2.

Updated for the Avengers DVD chapters. Timeline is now completely up to date until next year when Iron Man 3 and Thor - The Dark World are released (the DVDs, I'll update if able when they're released in theaters, but have to wait until DVD/Blu-Rays are released to break up by chapter).

I have to say, I disagree with where you placed Cap's wake up scene in your timeline. I always got the impression that Cap was just waiting around wallowing in his grief for awhile before SHIELD recruited him. To me having him wake up exactly when the world needs him, it's a little too neat. I know deleted scenes are considered canon, but the Cap deleted scene we were just talking about make's it seem like he's been in around for a few weeks and is still trying to get used to everything.

I have to say, I disagree with where you placed Cap's wake up scene in your timeline. I always got the impression that Cap was just waiting around wallowing in his grief for awhile before SHIELD recruited him. To me having him wake up exactly when the world needs him, it's a little too neat. I know deleted scenes are considered canon, but the Cap deleted scene we were just talking about make's it seem like he's been in around for a few weeks and is still trying to get used to everything.

I placed Cap's "wake up scene" as you refer to it, based on the Fury's Big Week comic (final issue). Here's the evidence:

We know for a fact Iron Man occurs between January to May of 2008 (the May 2008 date is concretely shown onscreen not long after Tony returns home from being held captive).

According to Iron Man 2, when Tony is jumping off the plane and flying to the Stark Expo towards the beginning, it opens 6 months after the first film. However, the Monaco Gran Prix, which is shown in the film, occurs in May. So, to reconcile that, I placed Vanko's father dying as occuring the following day after Iron Man 1's conclusion (due to the time difference with Russa being almost a day ahead). And since Vanko, while a very skilled technician, still isn't as skilled or intelligent as Stark, so whereas Stark built his armor over a few weeks in the cave, and his more advanced armor over a couple weeks at his home in Malibu, I assume it took Vanko at least several months or more to construct his armor in Moscow with limited equipment. By assuming he finished, or nearly finished based on the opening credits around November or maybe December, 2008, this allows the 6 months later tag at the opening of Iron Man 2 and Tony's Stark Expo to open around May, 2009.

Fury's Big Week, as well as clues from the films Iron Man 2, Thor, and Incredible Hulk all occur around the same time, in an overlapping nature, ending in very early June, 2009.

The final issue of Fury's Big Week picks up one year later, June, 2010, according to the comic itself (which again, is canon). This shows Cap being discovered in the ice (as well as SHIELD scientists being able to fire the Destroyer armor in Thor, as well as setting up the creation of the gun based on the Destroyer that Coulson used on Loki just before he dies in Avengers).

The Avengers itself mentions that the events of Thor (and thus Iron Man 2 and the Incredible Hulk, as well as the majority of Fury's Big Week), occurred "last year". Thus, along with the dates of late October based on the museum scene fight in the film, places it firmly in October, 2010.

I'm basing the placements on the few hard dates we're given in the films and canon comics (or at least the passage of time info like the "One Year Later" in the final issue of Fury's Big Week). I can respect where you're coming from, but you're basing your argument on an impression or feeling, I'm basing my placements on hard facts. I put a lot of thought and time into this timeline, so I assure you I'm not placing stuff for the heck of it. ;)

As for him sitting around and wallowing, the way I've placed it (again, based on the canon Fury's Big Week comic), he wakes up around June, 2010, and the events of The Avengers take place towards the end of October, 2010. This allows a good 4 months or so of him adjusting to the new world he's in before SHIELD recruits him for duty at the beginning of Avengers. If you can provide some concrete reasoning as to why I should alter it I'm happy to do so, but again I'm basing the placements on the few concrete dates given in the movies, and the time passing based on whats shown in the films and comics.

And the deleted scenes aren't canon, else the scene from Incredible Hulk with Cap in the ice would conflict with those known to be canon in the Captain America film.

Last edited:
you mean "aren't considered canon," right?
Yeah sorry that was a typo. I DID mean aren't considered canon.

Also, DIrishB, I looked at your timeline again, and it was just a misread on my part. I saw Captain America Chapter 17 in the middle of the Avengers and because there's no chapter titles I automatically thought of it as Cap's wake up scene. I completely forgot about the scene from Avengers that was after the credits, that led into the Avengers teaser. So yeah I completely agree with your placement. I had just thought you put the wake up scene immediately before Fury recruits him, after Loki had already shown up.
I realized my mistake when you starting making my point while simultaneously saying that I was wrong. Haha. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah sorry that was a typo. I DID mean aren't considered canon.

Also, DIrishB, I looked at your timeline again, and it was just a misread on my part. I saw Captain America Chapter 17 in the middle of the Avengers and because there's no chapter titles I automatically thought of it as Cap's wake up scene. I completely forgot about the scene from Avengers that was after the credits, that led into the Avengers teaser. So yeah I completely agree with your placement. I had just thought you put the wake up scene immediately before Fury recruits him, after Loki had already shown up.
I realized my mistake when you starting making my point while simultaneously saying that I was wrong. Haha. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries then. Just to be clear, I do appreciate suggestions and corrections, so whenever you notice something the seems or is out of place, please post!

Also, some welcome news from NYCC:

Coulson Lives! Set to return in SHIELD TV show

An excerpt from the announcement at NYCC:

Loeb said Marvel had something special for Gregg, something that's never been seen before. It featured a trailer of Coulson's moments starting with "Iron Man."

"An Honest Man. An Honorable Man. A Man of S.H.I.E.L.D." the trailer read interspersed between some of Coulson's best moments. "We thank him for his bravery."

The reel went to his heroic death scene. "We remember his Legacy. Always," said the trailer. "Rest in Peace, Agent Phil Coulson 1969 - 2012." At the end of the trailer, Gregg looked to be crying.

An emotional Gregg took the stage.

"I grew up loving comics," he said. "One of the greatest things about it is that I got to connect with people like you, so thank you for being apart of it."

The crowd began chanting "COULSON! COULSON!"

"I just want to say because I won't have another chance to ask this -- 'Have you heard of a Life Model Decoy?'" asked Coulson. "I don't know if you've read the theories from the people on Twitter, but there's this guy called the Vision. I don't know if you saw the UK version of the DVD, but the blade wasn't coming out of his chest. There's a tesseract!

"All around the globe you can see graffiti, bumper stickers that say 'Coulson Lives!' You have the power, Jeph! I feel like we could make this happen right now!"

Jeph Loeb and Clark Gregg play to the crowd

"This is not like Tinkerbell, you don't get to clap!" said Loeb.

And then, suddenly, Joss Whedon showed up onscreen amongst applause.

"We all love Clark Gregg, there's no doubt about that," Whedon said. "From before we made 'The Avengers,' we discussed whether there was a way for him to be a part of the Marvel Universe, perhaps a part of a TV show even after his death. … The fact of the matter is, as much as we love him, now that I'm really running Marvel, I like to keep a type of artistic integrity, which means we don't stretch the bounds of reality."

"There was never going to be a 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' show without Agent Phil Coulson!" said Feige, who appeared behind Whedon, wearing a COULSON LIVES shirt.

"He's headlining the S.H.I.E.L.D. show and always was." said Whedon.

Loeb confirmed Clark Gregg is the first member cast in Whedon's "S.H.I.E.L.D."

So the details of how this works are still unknown. Did Coulson survive Loki's stabbing? Or does SHIELD take place before The Avengers? With the mention of Life Model Decoy and Vision, that could indicate it occurring after... of course Whedon's comments about artistic integrity and not stretching the bounds of reality seem to indicate it occurring before.

Either way, he'll be returning in the SHIELD TV show. And personally, I'd wager on his death being a ruse by Fury, as was sort of alluded to in The Avengers itself when Maria Hill mentioned Coulson's Cap cards were in his locker, not his jacket pocket, and Fury mentioned "They needed the push". And while the stabbing was certainly a serious wound, its not outside the realm of believability that he could have survived it, or that it was indeed a Life Model Decoy android thingy (though thats certainly less "realistic").

Guess we'll find out next year. For now I'm leaving SHIELD where it is, but if we learn it occurs before The Avengers, of course I'll change it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back