Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Here are the first numbers for the Incredible Hulk in the original version:

803781190.png

252574178.png

515125166.png

472993155.png

Next is 143, then 131, ...

About Iron Man 2 : for me it's the same day, because after the credits, the thing with agent Coulson is the same day Tony became a consultant (remember all must happen in one week according to Fury's Big Week, and that Marvel One-Shot - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer is the same night of the battle between Iron Man, War Machine, the drones and Whiplash).

About the deleted scenes, they are deleted! Which means not canon.
Even if Banner says in the Avengers that he tried to suicide years ago doesn't mean it's the same scene there is in a deleted scene.
Maybe it's the same scene but without the Captain America's easter-egg. Maybe it's the same scene but in Africa..

Oh and... Captains rule! ;)

Captain France said:
Here are the first numbers for the Incredible Hulk in the original version:

Next is 143, then 131, ...

About Iron Man 2 : for me it's the same day, because after the credits, the thing with agent Coulson is the same day Tony became a consultant (remember all must happen in one week according to Fury's Big Week, and that Marvel One-Shot - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer is the same night of the battle between Iron Man, War Machine, the drones and Whiplash).

About the deleted scenes, they are deleted! Which means not canon.
Even if Banner says in the Avengers that he tried to suicide years ago doesn't mean it's the same scene there is in a deleted scene.
Maybe it's the same scene but without the Captain America's easter-egg. Maybe it's the same scene but in Africa..

Oh and... Captains rule! ;)

You're right! Weird... Must be my Xbox 360 (I use it to play DVDs) doesn't do the frame by frame as well as I though, it jumps right to the 166. I'll alter the timeline to reflect that.

Fury's Big Week indicates the meeting between Fury and Tony took place 2 days (more like 1 and a half days) after Vanko's attack on the Stark Expo. That's how I read it anyway. I'll double check this weekend.

For the most part Fury's Big Week occurs in chronological order, and maps out the ordering of the events between Iron Man 2, Thor, Incredible Hulk, and even Captain America. I used that as a guide, also keeping in mind the time difference between Virginia and New York (where the latter portions of Incredible Hulk take place), New Mexico (Thor), and California and Flushing Meadows New York (Tony's home and Stark Expo locations). I could be wrong but the comic combined with the events in the movies seemed to indicate that was the ordering. Basically, theres a 2-3 hour time difference between what's going on in Hulk (and the end of IM2) and Thor (and most of IM2 in California).

I do need to rearrange a few things to fix some of the comic overlaps, so I'll double check and see if it works.

But yeah, the timeline currently has the events of Fury's Big Week happening from May 24 (The same day as Tonys race in Monaco) through May 31 (same day as Tonys and Rhodeys Award Presentation with Sen Stern, and the events of Hulk meeting with Dr. Samuel Sterns, trying the cure, and the fight with Blonsky/Abomination in Harlem). FBW Chapter 8 occurs a year later around the discovery of Captain America in the ice (and a few weeks or months before Avengers).

How did you come to your conclusion Avengers occurs from Oct 19-22? It does make sense given the timeline and Banners comments to Black Widow, but just wondered about the specific dating.

I understand not including the deleted scenes in the timeline but for the Spoon Wielder's fan edit they worked really well. Especially, the scene where Hulk tried to commit suicide, it goes so quick you can't even tell that Captain is in the background. Me, my GF and brother all liked how it tied Hulk and Cap and everything all together.

what are the changes exactly?

I added the scene between Odin and his young sons. Moved a few scenes around, and changed musical cues and stuff like that.

And about deleted scenes. While my fan-edit is pretty heavy with deleted scenes I agree that they are not canon, for the most part. Take the Hulk scene in the Arctic Circle for example. It's referenced in the opening credits of Incredible Hulk, and in the Avengers. Yeah Cap shows up at the end in an ice-berg but so does Thor later on in the movie when Betty and the Hulk are in the cave. While Marvel has ret-conned both these incidents, at the time I'm sure Louis Letterier's intention to include these cameos was deliberate. As was Marvel's. I mean they had no idea where their company was gonna go at that time. Heck Iron Man hadn't even hit screens at that point. Anyway my point is I think that some scenes could be argued to be canon and others are definitely not.

How did you come to your conclusion Avengers occurs from Oct 19-22? It does make sense given the timeline and Banners comments to Black Widow, but just wondered about the specific dating.

135543lokibackground.jpg

The Mesopotamian exposition at Stuttgart happens between 4 May to 21 October.
A night party in a museum happens only in the inauguration of the exposition or the end of it.
4 May isn't a year long for the chronology of precedent MCU movies, so this night party takes place the 21 October.

When we have this date it's easy to see how many days there are before and after.

Oh and a little something for MCU fans:

Iron-Man-2008-movie-props.jpg

1374431601coverpress.jpg

16 January 2008 - cover of Wired

673010billgatespaulallenreferencepriseen1981.jpg

July 1981 - Bill Gates & Paul Allen - creation of MS-DOS

Last edited:
135543lokibackground.jpg

The Mesopotamian exposition at Stuttgart happens between 4 May to 21 October.
A night party in a museum happens only in the inauguration of the exposition or the end of it.
4 May isn't a year long for the chronology of precedent MCU movies, so this night party takes place the 21 October.

When we have this date it's easy to see how many days there are before and after.

You sir, know your stuff. I'm going to get in the habit of taking your word, you've obviously researched the MCU as much as (if not more) than I did making this timeline.

Oh and a little something for MCU fans:

1374431601coverpress.jpg

16 January 2008 - cover of Wired

673010billgatespaulallenreferencepriseen1981.jpg

July 1981 - Bill Gates & Paul Allen - creation of MS-DOS

HA! Photoshop strikes again!

Updated to correct the early dates for Incredible Hulk thanks to Captain France's info.
Hey, no prob ;)

I've find a new date for the timeline, watching again The Avengers:
if you remember, during the last big fight in New York against the Chitauri, Black Widow says to Hawkeye that she's not a soldier but a spy and that she's scared of this battle which remembers her Budapest.

Seing her age, there is only one revolt possible: October 23, 2006.
There was a big violent protest this night. Not only in Budapest, Hungary, but in several near countries.
October 23 is a symbole of revolution for the Hungarians.

Has anyone seen the official timeline released?

http://i.imgur.com/61GmV.jpg

61GmV.jpg
Ahh thank you alot!
I was searching it since I saw the Avengers Art Book.

EDIT: I've checked some dates and it's very simplified and not accurate.

For example, the war between Jotuns and Asgardians on Earth is "1000 years before I Am Iron Man".
In the movie, the date of this war is "965".
Then it means that Tony says he is Iron Man in 1965?!

EDIT2: Another error found:
The next day Tony announces that he closes his Weapon factory, we can clearly see in the TV Stock Exchange show it's "Sunday 4, May 2008".

But if we look at the timeline in the art book with the end of Captain America happening in 1945, we can see "64 years BIM".
1945 + 64 = 2009

I don't think Tony Stark mades his Mark II armor in a year...

I will try to twit Will Corona Pilgrim about this poorly done timeline.

Last edited:
Here is the Official Timeline and I've put in brackets the things that were retcon.

1000 years BIM (1009, retcon from 965)
Jotunheim invades Midgard/Earth (Tonsberg, Norway), Odin defeats Laufey and the Jotuns and captures the Casket of Ancient Winters.

600 years BIM (1409)
Odin leaves the Tesseract on Earth.

67 years BIM (1942)
Johann Schmidt invades Tonsberg, Norway and steals the Tesseract.
Steve Rogers becomes Project: Rebirth's first and only successful super-soldier.

64 years BIM (1945)
Captain America defeats Johann Schmidt (The Red Skull) and crashes the suborbital bomber into the Artic.

45 years BIM (1964, retcon from 1963)
Howard Stark works with Anton Vanko on the development of the Arc Reactor.

33 years BIM (1976, retcon from 1974)
Stark Industries unveils the first Arc Reactor.

5 years BIM (2004, retcon from 2006)
Bruce Banner is bombarded with gamma radiation, changes into the Hulk, and escapes.

9 months BIM (2008)
Tony Stark is kidnapped by the Ten Rings, invents a miniaturized Arc Reactor to keep shrapnel out of his heart and the Iron Man Mark I armor to escape.

1 day BIM (2009, retcon from 2008)
Iron Man battles the Iron Monger on the Howard Stark Memorial Freeway.

0 day: Point of Origin: "I Am Iron Man".

1/2 day AIM (2009, retcon from 2008)
Nick Fury approaches Tony Stark about the Avengers Initiative.

3 months AIM (2009, retcon from 2008)
After a botched mission involving a Hammer Industries prototype, General Ross is confronted by Iron Man.

6 months AIM (2009)
Banner "Hulks" out at a bottling plant while chased by General Ross and Emil Blonsky in Rochina, Rio de Janeiro.
Tony is attacked by Ivan Vanko's Whiplash suit at the Monaco Historical Grand Prix and defeats him by using the Mark V "suitcase suit".

Begin "Fury's Big Week".

Day 1 (2009)
S.H.I.E.L.D. Monitors Bruce Banner, Tony Stark and Jane Foster.
Tony (Mark IV) and Rhodey (Mark II) battle at Tony Stark's Malibu Mansion.

Day 2 (2009)
Thor's coronation.
Rhodey brings Mark II to U.S. Military at Edwards Air Force Base, Fury gives Howard Stark's S.H.I.E.L.D. Lockbox to Tony.
Tony watches Howard in film reels.
Thor and pals invade Jotunheim.

Day 3 (2009)
Tony discovers Howard's hidden element.
Odin saves Thor and pals in Jotunheim, Thor is banished to Earth.
Banner gets to Culver University.
Coulson travels from Malibu to Roswell.
Coulson debriefs units at Roswell; S.H.I.E.L.D. Cleans up Flushing Meadows, New York.
Tony builds Mark VI, Iron Man and War Machine save Stark Expo.

Day 4 (2009)
Banner visits old lab.
Coulson discovers Mjolnir, S.H.I.E.L.D. Builds crater base camp.
Locals party at the crater site, Jane rescues Thor from hospital, Coulson takes Jane's research.
Banner reunites with Betty Ross.
Blonsky becomes a super-soldier.
Thor raids S.H.I.E.L.D. Camp, Coulson interrogates Thor, Thor spends the night with Jane.

Day 5 (2009)
Thor battles the Destroyer at Puente Antiguo, pledges allegiance to the people of Earth; Asgard: Bifrost is destroyed during the battle between Thor and Loki.
Banner "Hulks Out" at Culver University.
Fury meets with Tony Stark, offers him role as S.H.I.E.L.D. consultant.
S.H.I.E.L.D. cleans up Puente Antiguo, New Mexico.
S.H.I.E.L.D. collects Destroyer.

Day 6 (2009)
In the wake of Puente Antiguo, Fury holds a massive S.H.I.E.L.D. meeting (at a secure S.H.I.E.L.D. site in Roswell, New Mexico) where he announces an agency-wide re-focusing towards extraterrestrial defense.

Day 7 (2009)
Banner and Betty Ross meet with Samuel Sterns.
Banner seemingly cured, Blonsky becomes Abomination; Banner airdropped into Harlem to confront Abomination, becomes Hulk, defeats Abomination, escapes.
S.H.I.E.L.D. cleans up Harlem, General Ross acquires Blonsky.

End "Fury's Big Week"

Before the Avengers (2009-2010)
Banner manages to refrain from "Hulking Out" as he travels from British Columbia to Calcutta.
Tony Stark begins construction of the Arc Reactor-powered Stark Tower.
Loki arrives on Earth.
Dr. Erik Selvig works with the Tesseract at Project: P.E.G.A.S.U.S.
Agents Sitwell and Coulson call in a patsy (Stark) to quell the World Security Council's plans to include Blonsky in the Initiative.
Captain America is discovered in the Artic.

How do we know that was an official timeline anyway? Look in the lower right corner, it has someone's Tumblr url. I'd guess this was probably made by some random person on Tumblr.

How do we know that was an official timeline anyway? Look in the lower right corner, it has someone's Tumblr url. I'd guess this was probably made by some random person on Tumblr.

It was in the Marvel Avengers art book. That's how we know it's official. It was posted by someone on Tumblr for those that don't own the book.

That official timeline is all sorts of screwed up.

First off, Tony was held prisoner by the Ten Rings for around 3 months, not 9 months as it says in the timeline (he specifically states being held captive for 3 months).

Then it says Iron Man and Stane fought 1 Day before Iron Man... maybe 1 day before the conclusion of Iron Man (thats actually correct), but its still unnecessarily confusing. Its because they're using the press conference where Tony outs himself as being Iron Man as the focal point, but I feel its preferable just to start from the actual beginning of Iron Man to prevent unnecessary confusion.

According to Iron Man - Public Identity and Iron Man 2, Ivan Vanko and Howard Stark began working on the Arc Reactor in 1963, and the official timeline accurately places it 45 years earlier (meaning IM occurs in 2008, which matches the dates given in the movie itself). However, with the ending of Captain America firmly set in 1945 (and occuring 64 years before Iron Man), this dating places Iron Man in 2009.

So, basically, the official timeline has proven itself wrong on a few counts (or maybe its intentionally done to create a "floating timeline", ie a timeline that doesn't use exact years or dates so it can be viewed as "happening now" or something).

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I'm waiting for an answer of Will C. Pilgrim.
With some chances Bendis (as a part of the Creative Marvel Studios team) is at the origin of this timeline...

Apparently there's going to be a new Marvel One Shot on the Avengers Blu-ray titled "Item 47". I have no idea what it's about but I'm intrigued.

Spoon_Wielder said:
Apparently there's going to be a new Marvel One Shot on the Avengers Blu-ray titled "Item 47". I have no idea what it's about but I'm intrigued.

Interesting. Wonder if there'll be any additional One Shots done for the ten disc MCU Avengers Phase One bluray set (more info will be released on July 15).

Latest posts

Back