Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Updated for Iron Man 3 - Prelude #1. Will update for #2 next month when its released.

Still need to update for the Iron Man 2 - Adaptation comics, but can't find those anywhere online, so just waiting for the TPB to be released (which I believe will also collect the Iron Man 3 Prelude).

Did you see, it seems that Iron Man 2: Agents of SHIELD and Iron Man 2: Public Enemy are no more MCU canon.

I mean in Iron Man 3 Prequel #1, there's this about the Ten Rings :

RODHEY: You never went after them?
TONY: After Gulmira, couldn't find anything to go after.

It means Tony never fought again the Ten Rings since Iron Man 1, no? :?

Captain France said:
Did you see, it seems that Iron Man 2: Agents of SHIELD and Iron Man 2: Public Enemy are no more MCU canon.

I mean in Iron Man 3 Prequel #1, there's this about the Ten Rings :

RODHEY: You never went after them?
TONY: After Gulmira, couldn't find anything to go after.

It means Tony never fought again the Ten Rings since Iron Man 1, no? :?

Possibly. It could also be taken as those few events happened, but nothing ever came of those encounters, or wasn't able to track down the Ten Rings leadership outside of those individual cells.

Granted, it's more likely just a continuity screw-up on the part of the writer. Until those stories are confirmed as non-canon, I'll keep them in. I think they're still meant to happen in the general sense, and the writer of the IM3 Prelude just screwed up. It's easy to explain away.

Possibly. It could also be taken as those few events happened, but nothing ever came of those encounters, or wasn't able to track down the Ten Rings leadership outside of those individual cells.

Granted, it's more likely just a continuity screw-up on the part of the writer. Until those stories are confirmed as non-canon, I'll keep them in. I think they're still meant to happen in the general sense, and the writer of the IM3 Prelude just screwed up. It's easy to explain away.

Yeah, it's very possible that the writer screwed up.
It will be certainly corrected for the TPB.

When I look at the official timeline, I always facepalm, as the dates never link with the ones in movies. :roll:

If IM3 Prelude is canon, then The Avengers doesn't happen in October, but in the beginning of May.
And Loki appears in Stuttgart for the opening of the Sumerian expo (May 4th) and not the ending (21 October).

Don't know if the Colantotte motion comics is canon, but there are some precise dates in it.

Yeah, it's very possible that the writer screwed up.
It will be certainly corrected for the TPB.

When I look at the official timeline, I always facepalm, as the dates never link with the ones in movies. :roll:

If IM3 Prelude is canon, then The Avengers doesn't happen in October, but in the beginning of May.
And Loki appears in Stuttgart for the opening of the Sumerian expo (May 4th) and not the ending (21 October).

How so? Maybe i missed something, but hiw does the IM3 Prelude alter that?

Don't know if the Colantotte motion comics is canon, but there are some precise dates in it.

Hadn't even heard of those...where were those released?

Here is the Colantotte video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cmtP7-kjwA

There is 10 months between the end of Iron Man 2 and the end of The Avengers, if the IM3's dates are good.
Iron Man 2 happens "one year" before The Avengers and "October 24" is too far for only "10 months" between the two movies.
Conclusion1: The Mesopotamian Expo in The Avengers happens for the opening of the expo: May 4.
Conclusion2: The IM3 Prelude happens in June. (I think just in the middle of The Consultant).

Captain France said:

I doubt this is actually canon. It's basically an advertisement for the Colantotte bracelet, and like the other MCU inspired advertising comics, I don't think it's official canon. There was that Audi Iron Man comic and quite a few others that were inspired by and spun off the stories of the various MCU films, which could fit into continuity, but aren't recognized as official MCU canon. I used to have some included until (I believe it was you) pointed out the official outlook of Marvel on what's canon and what's not in the MCU. I'd definitely say this isn't canon, though I may be wrong.

There is 10 months between the end of Iron Man 2 and the end of The Avengers, if the IM3's dates are good.

Are you referring to the IM3 Prelude comic? I don't have it in front of me so can't recall off the top of my head, but I don't remember it specifically saying it picked up immediately after IM2, just that Stark had rebuilt?--can't remember--or something relating to the damage from the Stark Expo (IM2's conclusion). Granted, it could be an implication of it occurring very soon after IM2, however given that it shows Stark Tower being constructed I tend to think it picks up at least a little while (few months?) after IM2, which would also allow for the time needed to rebuild or use Stark's resources to pay, etc. I can't remember the line so I'll take another look.

Iron Man 2 happens "one year" before The Avengers and "October 24" is too far for only "10 months" between the two movies.
Conclusion1: The Mesopotamian Expo in The Avengers happens for the opening of the expo: May 4.
Conclusion2: The IM3 Prelude happens in June. (I think just in the middle of The Consultant).

You may be right, as the movies tend to place themselves (timeline-wise) around the time of their release. Iron Man was released in May, 2008, and occurs between Jan/Feb - May, 2008. Of course, we're never told it's exactly one year... it's only referenced that the events of Thor occurred "last year" in The Avengers, which isn't an exact placement, just a general placement based on Fury's comment about why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons.

Like I said, I'll re-read the IM3 Prelude comic and see if it makes sense to reposition.

Ok so updated with the new placement for The Avengers in May as opposed to October. It works well except for one thing: Fury's Big Week comic runs parallel to Iron Man 2, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk in May - June, 2009. The last part of that comic flashes ahead "1 Year Later" after those events and coincides with the discovery and awakening of Captain America.

Previously, with the October placement for Avengers, this placed Cap's "defrosting" in June, 2010, and allowed a timeframe of several months for him to adjust to the modern world.

Now, with The Avengers occuring in early May, 2010, I'm forced to place the "1 year later" events in April, 2010 (actually only 10 months later, but thats close enough not to create a problem).

The only problem is that it places Cap's awakening so close before Avengers begins (a month at most). However, it can be viewed that Cap's beating the tar out of the punching bags in the gym is a result of his only recently learning of his situation and working through it.

Let me know if you see any problems.

I don't know if you guys have seen the Avengers Second Screen app, but it has a timeline feature to it and shows Cap waking up AFTER Loki arrives on Earth.

For those of you who don't have apple products to download it you can access it online here; http://marvel.com/avengers_movie
Click second screen experience on the left hand side toolbar, then click 'using a mac or pc?'. It should load in a separate window. The handheld app is a little more clear on the chain of events at the end of the timeline though.

Spoon_Wielder said:
I don't know if you guys have seen the Avengers Second Screen app, but it has a timeline feature to it and shows Cap waking up AFTER Loki arrives on Earth.

I have to disagree with that, mainly because it'd force Cap's awakening to take place only a day before the scene in the gym where Fury briefs him.

I realize it's a part of a timeline for an official Marvel tie-in, but then again the MCU timeline in the artbook was as well and also had some mistakes.

But I can't see Cap awakening after Loki arrives on Earth. The Avengers occurs over only a few days, of which Cap is present and alive from very close to the beginning. Him waking only a day before just feels...wrong.

That being said I'll check out the app (can't on my iPhone since I don't have iPhone 5), so I'll check it on my PC when I get a chance and see if I can use it to reconcile that info.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with that, mainly because it'd force Cap's awakening to take place only a day before the scene in the gym where Fury briefs him.

I realize it's a part of a timeline for an official Marvel tie-in, but then again the MCU timeline in the artbook was as well and also had some mistakes.

But I can't see Cap awakening after Loki arrives on Earth. The Avengers occurs over only a few days, of which Cap is present and alive from very close to the beginning. Him waking only a day before just feels...wrong.

The online app places all the events right before Avengers vertically so it's a little unclear of their timeline. However you'd think it would go from top to bottom and it does show Loki's arrival closer to the top than Cap's awakening. That being said the portable app does the standard left to right format for all of the events. And again Loki's arrival is placed before.
But yeah I agree with you, it seems a little TOO neat that Cap would wake up right when the world needs him.

Spoon_Wielder said:
The online app places all the events right before Avengers vertically so it's a little unclear of their timeline. However you'd think it would go from top to bottom and it does show Loki's arrival closer to the top than Cap's awakening. That being said the portable app does the standard left to right format for all of the events. And again Loki's arrival is placed before.
But yeah I agree with you, it seems a little TOO neat that Cap would wake up right when the world needs him.

Exactly. Besides the fact that based on Cap's attitude/characterization, it seems to imply he's been awake in the modern world for at least a bit. He's obviously past the "shock" phase and well into the "anger" phase based on the gym scene, so unless the super soldier serum also accelerated his phases of grief over losing Peggy and the world he knew, one day doesn't work.

My initial impression was a few months, which I've whittled down to just a few weeks based on the info in IM3 Prelude comic. But certainly more than a day.

I suppose it's possible a larger span of time occurred between Loki's arrival and the rest of the movie than is apparent, but that'd indicate SHIELD sat on their hands for awhile after the Tesseract's theft, and it's apparent that's not the case. Soon as Loki stole it, Fury enacted the Avengers Initiative and started recruiting.

Last edited:
For all, I've screen-captured all time events of the MCU timeline app and put it in a zip, if you want it:

http://www.envoyercefichier.com/files/WJ2Gdo01358955594.html

The Official MCU Timeline is very wrong in a lot of way and doesn't follow the movies' time indicators in them.

Just a date to show an example:

*Asgardians-Jotuns War*
Thor's movie: 965 A.D.
Marvel's Thor Adaptation #1: 965 A.D.
MCU Timeline: 1000 Before "I Am Iron Man"

In the Iron Man movie, they are plenty of visual and oral time indicators for 2008.
"I Am Iron Man" happens the next day where Agent Coulson took a rendez-vous the May 24th with Stark Industries, so it's the 2008 May, 25th.

If we look now at the MCU Timeline which say the Asgardians-Jotuns War happens 1000 Before IM, the war occurs in 2008 - 1000 = 1008 A.D.

Conclusion, the MCU Timeline is false as it's clearly indicated in the Thor movie "965 A.D." and not "1008 A.D.".

Second example :

*Mysterious Incident at Culver University Laboratory*
The Incredible Hulk's movie: 2006, May
MCU Timeline: 5 Years Before IM

2008 - 5 = 2003 A.D.

Conclusion, the MCU Timeline is false as it's clearly indicated during the intro "2006" "May" and "2006, May 27-28th" and not "2003".

There are much other examples I can put to show this timeline is completly wrong.

The true canon is the movies, not this MCU "official" timeline.

I really think S.H.I.E.L.D. found Cap in the ice in the beginning of 2010 and that The Avengers begins the night of May 2nd, 2010.

I really must screen cap all visual time indicators to put something more near a real timeline.
I know there are props of the MCU movies like newspapers or magazines we can found on some websites, maybe they have dates on them.

Last edited:
Captain France said:
For all, I've screen-captured all time events of the MCU timeline app and put it in a zip, if you want it:

http://www.envoyercefichier.com/files/WJ2Gdo01358955594.html

Nice, thanks, I couldn't download the app (without wifi anyway).

The Official MCU Timeline is very wrong in a lot of way and doesn't follow the movies' time indicators in them.

Just a date to show an example:

*Asgardians-Jotuns War*
Thor's movie: 965 A.D.
Marvel's Thor Adaptation #1: 965 A.D.
MCU Timeline: 1000 Before "I Am Iron Man"

Interesting, didn't realize they were doing a Thor comic adaptation, much less that they didn't hold off release towards the release of the sequel the end of this year. I'll add that to the timeline when I get a chance to read it (along with the Iron Man 2 Adaptation).

In the Iron Man movie, they are plenty of visual and oral time indicators for 2008.
"I Am Iron Man" happens the next day where Agent Coulson took a rendez-vous the May 24th with Stark Industries, so it's the 2008 May, 25th.

If we look now at the MCU Timeline which say the Asgardians-Jotuns War happens 1000 Before IM, the war occurs in 2008 - 1000 = 1008 A.D.

Conclusion, the MCU Timeline is false as it's clearly indicated in the Thor movie "965 A.D." and not "1008 A.D.".

Second example :

*Mysterious Incident at Culver University Laboratory*
The Incredible Hulk's movie: 2006, May
MCU Timeline: 5 Years Before IM

2008 - 5 = 2003 A.D.

Conclusion, the MCU Timeline is false as it's clearly indicated during the intro "2006" "May" and "2006, May 27-28th" and not "2003".

There are much other examples I can put to show this timeline is completly wrong.

The true canon is the movies, not this MCU "official" timeline.

Well said. You and I should petition for the job next time they put out an "official" MCU timeline... Which will probably be right before Avengers 2 is released.

Captain France said:
I really think S.H.I.E.L.D. found Cap in the ice in the beginning of 2010 and that The Avengers begins the night of May 2nd, 2010.

I really must screen cap all visual time indicators to put something more near a real timeline.
I know there are props of the MCU movies like newspapers or magazines we can found on some websites, maybe they have dates on them.

As for Cap's discovery, based on the Fury's Big Week comic, this occurs One Year after the events of Iron Man 2, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, and Fury's Big Week. This would place it around May or June, 2010, but with Avengers concretely set in early May, 2010, I had to reconcile the dates/info. So on the timeline, Cap's discovered a bit over 10 months after those events (close enough).

Marvel's Thor Adaptation #1 is already on the net. The second part will be released in february.

I think the "One Year Later" is only a way to say we are not anymore in 2009 but the next year 2010.
I don't think it's litteraly 12 months later.
Cap was maybe found in March or April.. I don't think it's in January or February as people don't wear winter clothes (I mean in New York at the end of CA-TFA).

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2013/01/25/ant-man-doctor-strange-marvel/

So it's now confirmed Ant-Man will be the first film of MCU's Phase 3 (instead of the last of Phase 2), and that a Dr. Strange film will also be a part of Phase 3. I'll add the DS film to the timeline when I get a chance.

Captain France said:
Marvel's Thor Adaptation #1 is already on the net. The second part will be released in february.

I'll DL that this weekend.

I think the "One Year Later" is only a way to say we are not anymore in 2009 but the next year 2010.
I don't think it's litteraly 12 months later.
Cap was maybe found in March or April.. I don't think it's in January or February as people don't wear winter clothes (I mean in New York at the end of CA-TFA).

Very likely. I also considered the fact that it wasn't Winter based on the clothing at the end of CA. I'll leave it as April to make sense of both that fact and the One Year Later tag from the comics.

Since The Avengers, there were many time changes that happened (in a wrong way), I don't know who made this, as Will Pilgrim never answered my question about the released MCU Timeline.

It occurs that there are now two timelines: the one in movies you can't change (except if you do a new edited version like Star Wars) and the one appearing in the artbook, the novels and in the paper bonus of the Phase One Blu-Ray.

For example, you have here the Tony Stark File appearing in The Avengers (deleted scene) and the one of the paper bonus of the Phase One:

Deleted Scene: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/955010Starkfiledeletedscene.jpg
Memorabilia Phase One: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/422070TheAvengersfileStark.jpg

As you can see, the Tony Stark's date of birth was changed (I don't know why?).

Same with Coulson's birth date:
ID SHIELD card in The Avengers: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/62552719640708TheAvengers2012movieprops01.jpg
Memorabilia Phase One: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/439692SHEILDclassifiedCoulson.jpg

They changed the date of Steve Rogers becoming a super-soldier to 1943 too, creating an incoherence as the War bonds campaign begins in 1942 and the Super-Soldier program happens between 1923 to 1942:

Operation Rebirth in CA:TFA: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/53639019231942CaptainAmericaTheFirstAvenger2011movieprops05.jpg
Poster in CA:TFA: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/9334521942CaptainAmericaTheFirstAvenger2011movieprops01.jpg
War bonds in CA:TFA: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/11917319420509CaptainAmericaTheFirstAvenger2011movieprops03.jpg
Memorabilia Phase One: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/541134TheAvengersSteveRogersfile.jpg
File bonus on dvd/blu-ray: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/144045SSappCaptAmerica.jpg

DIrishB: I've made a mistake about the Grand Prix Historique de Monaco.

The Grand Prix de Monaco happens each years, but the Grand Prix Historique de Monaco happens every two years: 2008, 2010, 2012, etc

In 2008: May 10-11
In 2010: May 01-02
In 2012: May 12-13

It means that Ivan Vanko made his Whiplash Mark 1 in more than a year (may 2008 to beginning of 2010).
It can be possible, as the Vanko lived in total poverty and find the adequate technology would be a challenge.
It could explain too why there is a Time: Person of the Year (2009, december) cover on his wall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back