Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

I can't find the specific answer he gave, but Corona-Pilgrim confirmed that the Iron Man/Hulk/Fury comic (collecting 3 short tales) is "inspired by" canon, meaning it's designed to fit within the continuity of the MCU, but isn't official MCU canon.

This is backed up indirectly by the fact those tales have never been collected in any of the official MCU trade paperback collections featuring the "A" stamp on the cover (though there are a few canon tales that came out before the "A" logo thing began).

These would be those which came out before the A logo became a thing. They were published individually and then published again together as Iron Man/Hulk/Fury (again before the A logo became a thing).

And I cannot find where Corona-Pilgrim confirmed this. I have read every tweet he has ever made since these comics came out and it isn't there. Is there another place he confirmed this at? I have searched high and low.

Don't know why this is such an issue. The consensus is that it's not canon but if you want to believe it is, more power too you. It's called a head canon. Mine is that the Amazing Spider-Man movies are MCU (and I won't let it die until I see Tom Holland in a high school class lol).

Doesn't mean that I'm trying to get DIrishB to put it on the timeline, I've made my peace with being in the minority. (Tho if anyone was so inclined TASM is Oct. 2012 and TASM2 is June and November 2014)

Don't know why this is such an issue. The consensus is that it's not canon but if you want to believe it is, more power too you. It's called a head canon. Mine is that the Amazing Spider-Man movies are MCU (and I won't let it die until I see Tom Holland in a high school class lol).

Doesn't mean that I'm trying to get DIrishB to put it on the timeline, I've made my peace with being in the minority. (Tho if anyone was so inclined TASM is Oct. 2012 and TASM2 is June and November 2014)

I was just looking for a source confirming or denying. It has been said in this thread that nothing is discluded until confirmed. Spider-man isn't by Marvel studios.... which is a reason. I'm just looking for a reason more "because that is the way it is". The A logo reason doesn't hold water to me because it was published and republished twice before the A logo was invented.

I honestly don't care if it is included or not, I just want a source so I can put it to bed in my head. I was just wondering if anyone would want to revisit the reasons for not including these in canon.

And I cannot find where Corona-Pilgrim confirmed this. I have read every tweet he has ever made since these comics came out and it isn't there. Is there another place he confirmed this at? I have searched high and low.

I was just looking for a source confirming or denying. It has been said in this thread that nothing is discluded until confirmed. Spider-man isn't by Marvel studios.... which is a reason. I'm just looking for a reason more "because that is the way it is". The A logo reason doesn't hold water to me because it was published and republished twice before the A logo was invented.

I honestly don't care if it is included or not, I just want a source so I can put it to bed in my head. I was just wondering if anyone would want to revisit the reasons for not including these in canon.

People from this board tweeted the question to him and he tweeted back. I'm not sure if those would show up on his regular twitter feed. If you look through the pages of this thread, you'll find the tweets, I think.

People from this board tweeted the question to him and he tweeted back. I'm not sure if those would show up on his regular twitter feed. If you look through the pages of this thread, you'll find the tweets, I think.

I have looked through the first 60 pages or so and can not find it. The first mention was on page 7 by Captain France.

Hey I didn't know you've done a timeline for the MCU too!
I'm doing a timeline too but only with the MCU Canon, but not the Inspired and Film Agnostic ones.

I have news for you, I've twitted Fred Van Lente and Will Corona Pilgrim about the comics:

MCU Canon:
Iron Man: I Am Iron Man
Iron Man 2: Public Identity
Iron Man 2: Agents of SHIELD
Captain America - The First Avenger: First Vengeance
The Avengers - Prelude: Fury's Big Week (a correction was made for the tpb with the date '1943' changed to '1945', the story is really a week long)
The Avengers - Prelude: Black Widow Strikes

Inspired Canon:
The Incredible Hulk: The Fury Files
Iron Man: Fast Friends
Nick Fury: Spies Like Us
Iron Man: Security Measures (Wal-Mart exclusive)
The Incredible Hulk: Big Picture (Wal-Mart exclusive)
Iron Man (LG exclusive)
Iron Man 2: Fist of Iron (Audi exclusive)
Iron Man 2 (Target exclusive)
Iron Man 2 (Royal Purple exclusive)
Iron Man: Will Online Evils Prevail? (Norton exclusive)
Captain America: Evil Lurks Everywhere (Norton exclusive)
Thor (Burger King exclusive)
Captain America & Thor: Avengers
Captain America - The First Avenger vol1 11 (US Military exclusive)
Captain America - The First Avenger vol1 12 (US Military exclusive)
The Avengers - The Avengers Initiative

Film Agnostic Canon:
Iron Man (SEGA exclusive)

I have found all of his tweets for all of these except for this one comic, I'm wondering if it got bundled with the rest without verification?

Neither are any of the comics :wink:

Hahaha, fair enough. I guess, to me, it is a reasonable jump that Marvel and Marvel Studios play nice and coordinate with each other. This isn't true between Marvel Studios and SONY, since they are competitors but I guess there is just enough non-confirmation for you to make the argument to yourself. But I was thinking that without verification that maybe, we could revisit the canonicity of IM/Hulk/Fury.

Last edited:
I have looked through the first 60 pages or so and can not find it. The first mention was on page 7 by Captain France.

I have found all of his tweets for all of these except for this one comic, I'm wondering if it got bundled with the rest without verification?

Nope. That's the one. And again, while it was released before the A logo became a thing, again, it's NEVER been collected in one of the MCU spinoff Trade Paperback collections for that reason: it's not canon.

If it were canon, it would've been collected in an MCU TPB collection. Never has, never will be.

It was designed to fit into MCU continuity as I said, but isn't official canon like the comics listed on the timeline. There are dozens of such non canon tie in comics.

You're free to accept it as canon, but that isn't the official word on it. ;)

DIrish, if I may ask, since I really don't feel like looking through so many pages to find it:

- What is your reasoning for why most of Agents of SHIELD Season 1 only takes place over the course of a few months? (Thus putting CA:TWS in "2013".)

- Is there a line of dialogue or confirmation that Daredevil Season 1 occured in "2014"?

Thank you, and I look forward to a response. :)

Shield start date is base on wards ID. cap 2 occurs in October according to on screen details hence shield season 1 must occur over a few months. Daredevil dates are based off on screen dates and dialogue.

So the first issue of the official Guidebook to the Marvel Cinematic Universe was released not long ago. It doesn't seem to have any firm dates relating to the timeline but it seems like it will be setting in stone what Marvel considers canon to their universe.

From the introduction:
The Guidebook will only include information revealed in the final version of the film - nothing from deleted scenes, early drafts or behind-the-scenes features, which often contradict the finished product. However, we will be weaving in facts, figures and images from the gorgeous Art of books for each film - as well as incorporating the all-new stories from the canonical official Marvel Cinematic Universe tie-in comic books. A list of the MCU comics covered in each Guidebook can be found on that issue's credit page.

The first issue covers Iron Man (2008 ) and Iron Man: I Am Iron Man (2010) #1-2. Each subsequent issue will cover the events and characters featured in individual films and TV seasons and their relevant comics. Issue 2 covers The Incredible Hulk (2008 ), Iron Man 2 (2010) and their comics and will be released November 24th. December 22nd will be the Thor (2011) issue.

Last edited:
Shield start date is base on wards ID. cap 2 occurs in October according to on screen details hence shield season 1 must occur over a few months. Daredevil dates are based off on screen dates and dialogue.

Exactly. Thank you.

As Bob said, Agents of SHIELD's pilot episode starts on Sept 8 or 9 (I'm too lazy to double check and going from memory) based on the new ID badges printed for Coulson and Ward which reflect that date.

We know the first 16 episodes or so occur right up to Captain America - The Winter Soldier. There is a date in that movie (again only going off memory) of October 16 (I think) on a security camera. Since AoS directly references and plays off of and is influenced by the collapse of SHIELD in that film and it happening during and between episodes 16 and 17 (mostly), that firmly dates AoS first season as occurring over the course of a little over a month and a week, maybe a month and a half by AoS season 1's end.

And again, Daredevil dates are based off date clearly shown on a cell phone (can't remember specific episode off the top of my head). I'm not at home so can't check my notes right now.

But ALL hard dates, even just months, are based off dates seen in the films and TV series themselves, and mentions of days, weeks, months or years from films, TV shows, and the comics are utilized whenever presented. They're their if you look closely. Usually there'll be only one specific one occasionally, but extrapolating forward and backward to precisely date other stuff is often possible in many cases as a result.

So the first issue of the official Guidebook to the Marvel Cinematic Universe was released not long ago. It doesn't seem to have any firm dates relating to the timeline but it seems like it will be setting in stone what Marvel considers canon to their universe.

From the introduction:

The first issue covers Iron Man (2008 ) and Iron Man: I Am Iron Man (2010) #1-2. Each subsequent issue will cover the events and characters featured in individual films and TV seasons and their relevant comics. Issue 2 covers The Incredible Hulk (2008 ), Iron Man 2 (2010) and their comics and will be released November 24th. December 22nd will be the Thor (2011) issue.

Cool. Hopefully that will put the issue to rest about the canonicity of that comic.

Another thing to consider is, Marvel knows how insanely popular the MCU is, including its tie in material like the canon comics.

If that one shot of three short stories were canon, they surely wouldn't released it in TPB form with the official MCU stamp or as a movie tie in (pre A stamp) by now. It easily could've been included in any of the early collections (since that comic came out very early on in the MCU), and never has. It's completely illogical for them to not release it in an official MCU trade if it were canon. That, to me, is the most glaring proof of it not being canon.

Nope. That's the one. And again, while it was released before the A logo became a thing, again, it's NEVER been collected in one of the MCU spinoff Trade Paperback collections for that reason: it's not canon.

If it were canon, it would've been collected in an MCU TPB collection. Never has, never will be.

It was designed to fit into MCU continuity as I said, but isn't official canon like the comics listed on the timeline. There are dozens of such non canon tie in comics.

You're free to accept it as canon, but that isn't the official word on it. ;)

It was collected in a trade paperback with other canon material before the A became a thing too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785145583/?tag=tcbcom-20

But I get since most of that material was repackaged in the road to the avengers except the IM/Hulk/Fury, that you might assume it is not canon. It would be nice to get an offical word.

I had another question about the TPBs... In many of them they include non-MCU comics? What is that about? Do they fit with the story or are they just trying to hook you into another story so you'll branch into 616 or is it just a teaser or what is the deal?

Just bc they are in a TPB with the A logo on them does not make them MCU I gather due to them not being on the timeline.... right?

Last edited:
Any word on if Agent Carter Season 2 will follow the One Shot? It better! They are usually really good with stuff like tgat, making sure everything ties in together nicely.

It was collected in a trade paperback with other canon material before the A became a thing too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785145583/?tag=tcbcom-20

But I get since most of that material was repackaged in the road to the avengers except the IM/Hulk/Fury, that you might assume it is not canon. It would be nice to get an offical word.

Security Measures was originally canon, but was retconned out by events in Fury's Big Week, I believe. Neither are the Hulk or Fury tales collected there. I own that volume and had forgotten Security Measures was in it. That also originally shipped as a mini comic with some of the Iron Man DVD sets (I had a copy that way). Still, it isn't canon.

Contact Pilgrim on Twitter and ask him. I was satisfied with the answer given to Captain France but he now seems to be answering his Twitter account again so just ask him for clarification. I don't use Twitter and have no interest in it so can't contact him that way myself, and as I said, I was satisfied with the answer given back then about what was and wasn't canon.

Luckily the modern MCU canon stuff is pretty straightforward: usually a two issue Prelude and Infinite comic that are all eventually collected into an official MCU TPB release. Occasionally they do adaptations of the films, and those are included as well since they're canon (though admittedly almost entirely redundant with the films). I include the adaptations just for completion's sake (the same reason why I didn't remove IM-Security Measures or the Hulk/Fury comics lightly or without careful consideration and official word).

Also, while this isn't official word, it's been repeatedly stated what is canon officially by Pilgrim. They never mention Security Measures, though.

I had another question about the TPBs... In many of them they include non-MCU comics? What is that about? Do they fit with the story or are they just trying to hook you into another story so you'll branch into 616 or is it just a teaser or what is the deal?

It's just filler material to justify a TPB collection and price. :(

Just bc they are in a TPB with the A logo on them does not make them MCU I gather due to them not being on the timeline.... right?

Right, as some (actually most) of the "padding" or "filler" material is just reprints of old 616 Marvel comics featuring that character. Has no bearing on MCU (outside of inspiration for the MCU itself) continuity.

The Prelude and Infinite tales are canon, and apparently there may be exceptions like the new Jessica Jones one shot prequel comic by Bendis that's canon with the show and the MCU as well.

But Security Measures isn't canon.

Also, while Security Measures was collected on the original Iron Man adaptation TPB, it was then removed from the "Road to the Avengers" TPB (released just before the first film's release collecting all the canon comic material--the preludes/adaptations released up to that point). That wasn't accidental. And again, the Hulk tale directly contradicts what's said in Avengers about Fury leaving Banner alone up to then. And neither that or the Fury one were ever collected, and the later the Iron Man tale was excised from canon, in a sense.

Security Measures was originally canon, but was retconned out by events in Fury's Big Week, I believe. Neither are the Hulk or Fury tales collected there. I own that volume and had forgotten Security Measures was in it. That also originally shipped as a mini comic with some of the Iron Man DVD sets (I had a copy that way). Still, it isn't canon.

Contact Pilgrim on Twitter and ask him. I was satisfied with the answer given to Captain France but he now seems to be answering his Twitter account again so just ask him for clarification. I don't use Twitter and have no interest in it so can't contact him that way myself, and as I said, I was satisfied with the answer given back then about what was and wasn't canon.

Luckily the modern MCU canon stuff is pretty straightforward: usually a two issue Prelude and Infinite comic that are all eventually collected into an official MCU TPB release. Occasionally they do adaptations of the films, and those are included as well since they're canon (though admittedly almost entirely redundant with the films). I include the adaptations just for completion's sake (the same reason why I didn't remove IM-Security Measures or the Hulk/Fury comics lightly or without careful consideration and official word).

Also, while this isn't official word, it's been repeatedly stated what is canon officially by Pilgrim. They never mention Security Measures, though.

It's just filler material to justify a TPB collection and price. :(

Right, as some (actually most) of the "padding" or "filler" material is just reprints of old 616 Marvel comics featuring that character. Has no bearing on MCU (outside of inspiration for the MCU itself) continuity.

The Prelude and Infinite tales are canon, and apparently there may be exceptions like the new Jessica Jones one shot prequel comic by Bendis that's canon with the show and the MCU as well.

But Security Measures isn't canon.

I think there is no question that security measures is not canon being a Wal-mart exclusive and all. My concern was about Fast Friends and Fury Files. But with the Iron Man Guide that is out now and only lists I am Iron Man and the movie, it is pretty damning evidence that Fast Friends is also not canon. And the Fury Files will most likely not be included in the Hulk edition on Nov 24 which I think will put my concerns to bed.

And I am glad to hear that these are just filler stories in the TPBs and not some dual continuity thing where they fit in both universes or something.

I think there is no question that security measures is not canon being a Wal-mart exclusive and all. My concern was about Fast Friends and Fury Files. But with the Iron Man Guide that is out now and only lists I am Iron Man and the movie, it is pretty damning evidence that Fast Friends is also not canon. And the Fury Files will most likely not be included in the Hulk edition on Nov 24 which I think will put my concerns to bed.

And I am glad to hear that these are just filler stories in the TPBs and not some dual continuity thing where they fit in both universes or something.

What's this Hulk Edition you mentioned?

What's this Hulk Edition you mentioned?

I was just going off of what SexySnorlax said.

Latest posts

Back