Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Ah, I see where he confirms certain comics. He doesn't explicitly rule out Fast Friends, Fury Files, or Spies Like Us but more or less does so by omission...

It was specifically said those weren't canon in one of his other responses. Fast Friends, Fury Files, and Spies Like Us are most definitely not canon, and this is confirmed by the fact none of them were later collected and released in an official MCU trade like the canon Infinite comics.

I promise, those aren't canon.

I wonder what Will Corona Pilgrim thinks about this thread and our obsession over canon. I hope he isn't laughing at us :(

It was specifically said those weren't canon in one of his other responses. Fast Friends, Fury Files, and Spies Like Us are most definitely not canon, and this is confirmed by the fact none of them were later collected and released in an official MCU trade like the canon Infinite comics.

I promise, those aren't canon.

Do you have that response handy at all? If not, that is fine, I'll take your word for it. I would just like the source so that if anyone else has a question I can point them to something that says so.

I wonder what Will Corona Pilgrim thinks about this thread and our obsession over canon. I hope he isn't laughing at us :(

Well at least there aren't too many repeat on the questions so it isn't annoying yet (I hope). And it is an obsession :oops: but oh well, how else are we supposed to find what to include in a MCU binge and what to leave out?

Definitely canon:

@willgrem: @Agent_M @wyokid @strommy Iron Man: I Am Iron Man!; IM2: Public Identity & Agents of SHIELD, & Captain America: First Vengeance are all #MCU
Iron Man: I Am Iron Man!
Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Iron Man 2: Public Identity
Captain America: First Vengeance

@willgrem: @Aztlan1984 Fury's Big Week is canon and the title refers to a series of relevant MCU events that transpire over the course of one week
The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week

@willgrem: @Aztlan1984 'Homecoming' = inspired, Infinite Comics are canon
Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic
Guardians of the Galaxy Prequel - Dangerous Prey Infinite Comic
Avengers: Age of Ultron Prelude - This Sceptre'd Isle Infinite Comic
Ant-Man - Scott Lang: Small Time Infinite Comic
Captain America: Civil War Prelude Infinite Comic

Comics with the red stamp:
The Avengers Prelude: Black Widow Strikes
Iron Man 2 Adaptation
Iron Man 3 Prelude
Thor Adaptation
Thor: The Dark World Prelude
Captain America: The First Avenger Adaptation
Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude
The Avengers Adaptation
Ant-Man Prelude
Captain America: Civil War Prelude

All of those are collected in the TPBs:
Avengers: Road to Marvel's The Avengers
Iron Man: I Am Iron Man!
Iron Man 2: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Iron Man 2: Public Identity
Captain America: First Vengeance
Marvel's The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
Marvel's the Avengers: Black Widow Strikes
The Avengers Prelude: Black Widow Strikes
Marvel's Iron Man 3 The Movie Prelude
Iron Man 2 Adaptation
Iron Man 3 Prelude
Marvel's Thor: The Dark World Prelude
Thor Adaptation
Thor: The Dark World Prelude
Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier Prelude
Captain America: The First Avenger Adaptation
Captain America: The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude
Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude
Guardians of the Galaxy Prequel - Dangerous Prey Infinite Comic
Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron Prelude
The Avengers Adaptation
Avengers: Age of Ultron Prelude - This Sceptre'd Isle Infinite Comic
Marvel's Ant-Man Prelude
Ant-Man Prelude
Ant-Man - Scott Lang: Small Time Infinite Comic
Marvel's Captain America: Civil War Prelude
Captain America: Civil War Prelude
Captain America: Civil War Prelude Infinite Comic

Other than those, I don't think anything else is canon. Would love for Pilgrem to say something like, "Yes. That's all of them; nothing more, nothing less."

I would also love to see what Pilgrem says about all of the promotional videos, websites, accounts, etc. In particular, the WHiH videos.

I know this is a lot to ask but can you help with the 3x02 and 3x05 timeline? I'm trying to splice it all in order but as I'm using downloaded episodes the timing doesn't match up.
Can you give some guidance on what scenes are the guideline?

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x02: "Purpose in the Machine" (0:01:36 - 0:25:39) Beginning of episode up until May and Hunter agreeing to go after Ward/Just before the obelisk goes to the castle.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x05: "4,772 Hours" (0:36:20 - 0:38:11) 4720 hours, Gemma and Will drinking wine
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x02: "Purpose in the Machine" (0:25:40 - 0:27:43) The team use the machine to open the portal, Fitz fires the flare
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x05: "4,772 Hours" (0:38:12 - 0:38:28) Gemma sees the flare and gets up
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x02: "Purpose in the Machine" (0:27:44 - 0:34:10)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x05: "4,772 Hours" (0:38:29 - 0:39:55)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x02: "Purpose in the Machine" (0:34:11 - 0:35:09)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x05: "4,772 Hours" (0:39:56 - 0:40:20)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x02: "Purpose in the Machine" (0:35:10 - 0:41:12)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x05: "4,772 Hours" (0:41:46 - 0:42:13) - Episode 5 end stinger with Will dropping the gun

Am I on the right path?

I know this is a lot to ask but can you help with the 3x02 and 3x05 timeline? I'm trying to splice it all in order but as I'm using downloaded episodes the timing doesn't match up.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x02: "Purpose in the Machine" (0:01:36 - 0:25:39) Beginning of episode up until May and Hunter agreeing to go after Ward/Just before the obelisk goes to the castle.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x05: "4,772 Hours" (0:36:20 - 0:38:11) 4720 hours, Gemma and Will drinking wine
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x02: "Purpose in the Machine" (0:25:40 - 0:27:43) The team use the machine to open the portal, Fitz fires the flare
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x05: "4,772 Hours" (0:38:12 - 0:38:28) Gemma sees the flare and gets up
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 3x05: "4,772 Hours" (0:41:46 - 0:42:13) - Episode 5 end stinger with Will dropping the gun

Am I on the right path?

The reason it doesn't match up is because I don't count the recap portion at the beginning of each episode (since they offer no new story).

So if you subtract for the length of those (usually between 45 seconds to a minute depending on episode) it'll all match up.

First of all I must congratulate you for the amazing work you are doing here.

So, you have to fix T DW prologue scene date, 2987 B.C. should really be 2988 B.C. since there is no "year 0" in the Anno Domini/Common Era system in use here.

Last edited:
The reason it doesn't match up is because I don't count the recap portion at the beginning of each episode (since they offer no new story).

So if you subtract for the length of those (usually between 45 seconds to a minute depending on episode) it'll all match up.

Am I on the right path?

Not seen AoS Series 3 yet but looks like I'll have a lot of fun when I come to splice it together for my homemade timeline edit

Thanks Irish. On the subject, have you thought about putting the astronaut scenes under 2001 in the timeline as video only?

Thanks Irish. On the subject, have you thought about putting the astronaut scenes under 2001 in the timeline as video only?

This reminds me, how are you guys making your edit when it's video or audio only? For me I'm making it as if they are telling the story in real time. So intend of it taking place in 2001 it takes place in 2015.

Video only = just splice out the section with audio and mute the clip
Audio only = splice the clip with the audio, save it separately. Upload to youtube, download the audio. Make another video with the audio and a blank black screen and add it back into it's correct space. The scenes with May becoming The Cavalry was a nightmare to edit, because of the amount of audio or video only scenes.
There are alot of videos with just a black screen. Most of Tony's narration during Iron Man 3 for example. Leaving most of the NYE 1999 scenes mute.

Last edited:
This reminds me, how are you guys making your edit when it's video or audio only? For me I'm making it as if they are telling the story in real time. So intend of it taking place in 2001 it takes place in 2015.

Video only = just splice out the section with audio and mute the clip
Audio only = splice the clip with the audio, save it separately. Upload to youtube, download the audio. Make another video with the audio and a blank black screen and add it back into it's correct space. The scenes with May becoming The Cavalry was a nightmare to edit, because of the amount of audio or video only scenes.
There are alot of videos with just a black screen. Most of Tony's narration during Iron Man 3 for example. Leaving most of the NYE 1999 scenes mute.

Video only: edit in background noise from a part very near to the clip
Audio only: For Tony's Monologues, I've left a couple that refernce Bern with the video to appear at the time of the video, with the rest stuck together with a blank black clip. I have left them to appear at the start of Iron Man 3 though for cinematic reasons. For Jiaying talking about May and the Cavalry I've left in the video for as brief as possible to operate sort of like a flashback with her voice. It's not perfect but I think it works

Last edited:

Basically, what wyo said. In that case, since its entirely overlaid by audio from the present day scenes, I view it as merely a representation of the events that happened then, being remembered or told to another in the present day setting.

There are exceptions where I'll separate the video/audio portions in the rare case it makes sense, but in this case, it didn't (least to me).

Basically, what wyo said. In that case, since its entirely overlaid by audio from the present day scenes, I view it as merely a representation of the events that happened then, being remembered or told to another in the present day setting.

There are exceptions where I'll separate the video/audio portions in the rare case it makes sense, but in this case, it didn't (least to me).

My thought about this is that we've seen a couple cases.

A) In one case, voice-overed flashbacks actually happened as shown (e.g. Iron Man 3).

B) In another case, voice-overed flashbacks are (dubious) memories or (definitely false) subjective retelling. An obvious example of a retelling is AoS 3x6's flashback to the convenience store fight in AoS 3x4, which showed multiple mutually conflicting possibilities.

My personal opinion is that in A cases, we should split it up. In B cases, we probably should not.

The question then, for the flashback in AoS 3x5, is "Do we know it actually happened as its shown on screen (A), or is this an unreliable memory/retelling (B)?"

Personally, I can't tell if the AoS 3x5 flashback is A or B. On one hand, Will may be lying and we just don't know it because we haven't seen anyone contradict him. On the other hand, there's nothing to suggest it didn't happen as it appears, and I love cutting up the MCU as flashbacks appear, so my tendency would be to include it in 2001 until conflicting evidence appears.

My opinion; flash backs are fact unless proven to be something else later. Also I need to rewatch s3e6 flashbacks again but I don't recall them conflicting. From my memory both could be true as the 2nd flashback simply tells more info. Both flashback show the agent shooting, the first simply omits lash. This doesn't inherently make it inherently false. Am I wrong here?

I watched it again. Less clear than I thought it was, so I'm leaning toward your side now. I have a hard time following those fast cuts between henchmen-extras...

Anyways, the closest thing to a contradiction I see is that in the first flashback, Garner cowers behind shelves while shots are fired. In the second flashback, he walks fully upright even as the last shot is still being fired.

These sources seems to point to Iron Man/Hulk/Fury being canon or being canon at one time and then retconned.

http://www.newsarama.com/1432-hulk-fury-files-online-comic-books-the-movies-meet.html
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18067

Does anyone have a definitive source for this not being canon. I searched Will Corana Pilgrem's entire twitter history as well as everywhere in this thread and can't find anything. The first mention I can find is Captain France's post on page 7 but can't seem to find his source.

Last edited:
These sources seems to point to Iron Man/Hulk/Fury being canon or being canon at one time and then retconned.

http://www.newsarama.com/1432-hulk-fury-files-online-comic-books-the-movies-meet.html
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18067

Does anyone have a definitive source for this not being canon. I searched Will Corana Pilgrem's entire twitter history as well as everywhere in this thread and can't find anything. The first mention I can find is Captain France's post on page 7 but can't seem to find his source.

I can't find the specific answer he gave, but Corona-Pilgrim confirmed that the Iron Man/Hulk/Fury comic (collecting 3 short tales) is "inspired by" canon, meaning it's designed to fit within the continuity of the MCU, but isn't official MCU canon.

This is backed up indirectly by the fact those tales have never been collected in any of the official MCU trade paperback collections featuring the "A" stamp on the cover (though there are a few canon tales that came out before the "A" logo thing began).

Latest posts

Back