Marvel Cinematic Universe News, Rumors, and Discussion

Marvel is interested in talking with Ryan Phillipe for a Netflix role

In an appearance on "The Howard Stern Show" earlier today, the actor revealed that he has been talking with Netflix and Marvel about joining the cast of one of the five series being produced as part of their deal. While he wasn't ready to spill what character he may be in line to portray, he was direct, if brief, in announcing that he's been speaking with the studio about heading to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in an undisclosed role.

"I'm meeting with -- Marvel is interested in talking about, like Netflix, a series, possibly -- the 'Daredevil' series is great," Phillipe told Stern.

Lot of people are theorizing that the role could be Iron Fist.

Marvel is interested in talking with Ryan Phillipe for a Netflix role

In an appearance on "The Howard Stern Show" earlier today, the actor revealed that he has been talking with Netflix and Marvel about joining the cast of one of the five series being produced as part of their deal. While he wasn't ready to spill what character he may be in line to portray, he was direct, if brief, in announcing that he's been speaking with the studio about heading to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in an undisclosed role.

"I'm meeting with -- Marvel is interested in talking about, like Netflix, a series, possibly -- the 'Daredevil' series is great," Phillipe told Stern.

Lot of people are theorizing that the role could be Iron Fist.

Just looked Phillipe up. He does have a black belt in taekwondo, so that'd be helpful. Not sure about his acting chops, though. I've never been impressed with anything I've seen him in. He always comes off as rather wooden and unrelatable with his performances.

Looks like there may not be an Avengers - Age of Ultron Extended Cut after all...

Amazon has sent out a letter correcting their previous advertisement.

It has been said there's a lot of deleted scenes, but whether or not it is officially released in an extended edition as opposed to just as deleted scenes on the special features is what decides if they're added to the timeline.

Even if they do release an Extended Edition, it probably won't be out until late 2016 anyway (close to a year after the theatrical version's DVD/BluRay release, if the LotR and Hobbit versions are a sign, and they probably are, as studios love bilking hardcore fans twice when they can ;) ).

All I know is he was brought into to doctor Thor: The Dark World and that's the worst movie Marvel has ever done. I don't like Whedon as a person, I think he's a terrible writer, and The Avengers is average at best with a lot of poor performances from great actors because Whedon is a worse director than he is writer. I'm glad he's gone. Quit trying to keep him :p

I don't see how you can criticize Whedon for Thor 2. Blaming him because he was brought in to "doctor" it (and that this was presumably because the movie was in trouble to begin with), is a bit like blaming a doctor who wasn't able to save a guy who got shot in the head. Sure, it's possible he contributed to it not being great (and Thor 2 was alright...far from the worst), but it's just as possible that whatever problems it had were beyond his help.

By the end of this weekend, the MCU will become the all-time leading franchise at the box office, surpassing the Harry Potter series current $7.723 Billion (right now the MCU sits at $7.415 Billion, and with predictions of opening weekend ranging from $200-250 million in the U.S., along with international sales which almost assuredly will top $100 million internationally).

Not a bad accomplishment in seven years time.

By the end of this weekend, the MCU will become the all-time leading franchise at the box office, surpassing the Harry Potter series current $7.723 Billion (right now the MCU sits at $7.415 Billion, and with predictions of opening weekend ranging from $200-250 million in the U.S., along with international sales which almost assuredly will top $100 million internationally).

Not a bad accomplishment in seven years time.

Yeah, that's pretty impressive. I would acknowledge that they have done it in (going on) 11 films, versus Harry Potter's 8. Marvel Studios is essentially an entire production company dedicated to a single franchise (if you count the entire thing as a single franchise), so I wouldn't say that this means that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is necessarily the most popular of all time. Regardless, I'm probably splitting hairs. It's been incredibly popular and impressively mapped out by Feige.

Yeah, that's pretty impressive. I would acknowledge that they have done it in (going on) 11 films, versus Harry Potter's 8.

I'd argue the Harry Potter books were more popular than the Marvel characters ever were (at least with kids), which gave the Harry Potter film series a huge boost of interest and associated box office success.

Marvel Studios is essentially an entire production company dedicated to a single franchise (if you count the entire thing as a single franchise), so I wouldn't say that this means that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is necessarily the most popular of all time.

I'm not sure how them being dedicated to their own franchise diminishes its popularity any.

Regardless, I'm probably splitting hairs. It's been incredibly popular and impressively mapped out by Feige.

It is true on average each film makes less than the Harry Potter franchise, and in that respect it's less impressive, but it's very impressive seeing what Marvel Studios has accomplished in the 7 years since Iron Man first released.

Numerous films, plans for numerous more, more than half a dozen spin off TV shows, etc. It really is incredible what they've accomplished, both in terms of financial success and internal narrative spread across a number of films and TV shows.

I'd argue the Harry Potter books were more popular than the Marvel characters ever were (at least with kids), which gave the Harry Potter film series a huge boost of interest and associated box office success.

I'm not sure how them being dedicated to their own franchise diminishes its popularity any.

It is true on average each film makes less than the Harry Potter franchise, and in that respect it's less impressive, but it's very impressive seeing what Marvel Studios has accomplished in the 7 years since Iron Man first released.

Numerous films, plans for numerous more, more than half a dozen spin off TV shows, etc. It really is incredible what they've accomplished, both in terms of financial success and internal narrative spread across a number of films and TV shows.

The only real point is that I don't think a person can take that figure and use it as definitive evidence that the Marvel franchise is the most popular of all time. It certainly is one of the most popular film franchises ever, and what they have done with cross movie integration is without precedent, but the Harry Potter franchise was arguably more popular. As stated, there are more Marvel films than Harry Potter films, 11 to 8, so of course their overall box office gross would be higher. That said, they are both obviously extremely popular and were unprecedented in their own ways. In the end, the grosses don't really matter that much. They both made WB and Disney, respectively, very rich.

Oh, that would be nice to know. That felt pretty deus ex machina.

I'm not sure it'll happen that way. They may not explain it at all, or if they do it'll be through an offhand bit of dialogue or something. At least based on previews of tonight's episode seeming to have nothing to do with getting an old Helicarrier for Fury to use in Sokovia, and more to do with Coulson and his team figuring out what to do with the Inhumans and other SHIELD.

Spidey reboot being planned for 3-4 films...

The site also reveals that Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are possibly plotting a series of three or four movies, each one of which will cover a year in the life of Peter Parker in high school, exploring that area of his life like never before.

It's said they're going for a "coming of age tale" with a tone similar to "John Hughes humor and emotion."

Latest posts

Back