UPDATE: Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #3 delayed to 12/27/06

Ice, now that it's been over a year between issues, do you still feel it's solely Marvel's fault and Lindleof is blameless because he has another job that takes precedence?

For the most part.

See, I don't understand that. He's had probably 15-16 months to write 88 comic book pages. There's no way he hasn't had the time.

And I still blame the creator over the company anyway, because it's a job they took knowing the expectations and agreeing to them.

You can argue Lindleof let Marvel know he wasn't going to make his deadlines. But he certainly didn't tell Marvel "I'm not going to do anything on this book for a year and a half. Eat it."

Marvel is very cavalier about delays, but there's no way they're solely to blame when something like this happens.

Lindelof may be "mortified" that he's so late, but it's still his job. To say Lost is more important than this book simply demeans the comic book industry as a whole. He may be worried about being fired from Lost, but he should also be worried about being fired from Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk and he's clearly not, and that's a very sad comment.

Last edited:
See, I don't understand that. He's had probably 15-16 months to write 88 comic book pages. There's no way he hasn't had the time.

And I still blame the creator over the company anyway, because it's a job they took knowing the expectations and agreeing to them.

You can argue Lindleof let Marvel know he wasn't going to make his deadlines. But he certainly didn't tell Marvel "I'm not going to do anything on this book for a year and a half. Eat it."

Marvel is very cavalier about delays, but there's no way they're solely to blame when something like this happens.

Lindelof may be "mortified" that he's so late, but it's still his job. To say Lost is more important than this book simply demeans the comic book industry as a whole. He may be worried about being fired from Lost, but he should also be worried about being fired from Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk and he's clearly not, and that's a very sad comment.
I said for the most part. Not only them.

If Marvel had a good plan to keep all this organized from the beggining and knew when to start releasing, we wouldn't have this problem. But now, it's not just their fault because Lindelof had time to finish this.

I fully agree with Ice.

Lindelof is not on time because Marvel refuses to do their job, and make him keep a deadline. Lindelof has all the cards; he can take his time, and if they give him a deadline, he can say **** you and it won't even be a loss for him.

I fully agree with Ice.

Me too.

He's not saying Marvel is blameless. Thousands of other writers are able to keep monthly schedules on top of doing other things...Bendis kept his books on schedule while he was helping create a video game. Paul Dini writes other stuff. Allen Heinberg does too. None of them saw these delays.

But the problem is that Marvel knew ahead of time that this would be a problem - it was planned from the beginning to be bi-monthly. And still they didn't plan accordingly.

Neither are innocent, but this lies mostly on Marvel.

He's not saying Marvel is blameless. Thousands of other writers are able to keep monthly schedules on top of doing other things...Bendis kept his books on schedule while he was helping create a video game. Paul Dini writes other stuff. Allen Heinberg does too. None of them saw these delays.

I don't know, Heinberg might be up there with his Wonder Woman now...

I think its both, they have meeting where they sit together and discuss it, they both should know the schedule and plan around it, and if they can't keep to that schedule than they are just both idiots, I mean I understand delays in the Ultimates where they're just doing so much is takes more time than expect, but this is ridiculus. I think that when they set the date it means that is a reasonable date and Lindelof must have agreed to it and said he should be able to do it, if not on time than soon after. What other business is there that works like this? "I promise to have this ready on time, but there maybe a few delays." Cut to OYL "Yeah my other job took too much time than expect but I'll still do this." I just cant picture another business where you do another job, pretty much setting aside your other work and not get canned.

And you know the reason why he hasn't been fired is because of the big name he is. It's like with Kevin Smith. Such a big name and really close friends and all, that they go, "It's ok. Take your time." Look at Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil that Men do. It took over 3 years to get that finished. Marvel had no problem. And they still don't have a problem with Dardevil: Target.

If it was a new writer, or someone who isn't a big name like these guys, they would've gotten someone else a long time ago. It's sad, but true.

I would even debate whether or not Lindleof is a big name.

Kevin Smith, yes. He's put himself out there, he's makes movies, he acts, he's a big name.

Damon Lindleof is just a guy that works on a TV show. The vast majority of people out there don't pay any attention to who's writing or producing their favorite TV shows. Lindleof could leave Lost tomorrow and only the most hardcore fans would even notice his name wasn't in the credits. The only creator the great unwashed consider in relation to Lost is JJ Abrams.

Now, if Abrams was to write for Marvel that would be huge. But Lindleof isn't bringing anyone new to the medium. He probably brings in a few more fans who already read comics, but it's not like the eventual trade in this series is going to get one of those author-specific cover treatments like Meltzer and Card get.

I think they are equally to blame. neither stepped up to the plate and swung. They both struck out in my playbook and they're getting benched for the rest of the season. How's that? 8)

baseball reference

Kevin Smith, yes. He's put himself out there, he's makes movies, he acts, he's a big name.

Damon Lindleof is just a guy that works on a TV show. The vast majority of people out there don't pay any attention to who's writing or producing their favorite TV shows. Lindleof could leave Lost tomorrow and only the most hardcore fans would even notice his name wasn't in the credits. The only creator the great unwashed consider in relation to Lost is JJ Abrams.

Now, if Abrams was to write for Marvel that would be huge. But Lindleof isn't bringing anyone new to the medium. He probably brings in a few more fans who already read comics, but it's not like the eventual trade in this series is going to get one of those author-specific cover treatments like Meltzer and Card get.

Id disagree with the statement that Lindeloff isnt a big name.
There are a LOT of hardcore Lost fans out there and most of them are comic fans too.
Not every TV show has its own wiki.

Just because Lindelof isn't a big name like someone else, that doesn't make him any less of one.

This is true.
Id take Lindeloff over Abrams any day. Lindeloff has a decent fan base of his own just because of the Lost podcast.
Im pretty new to comics and even though Hulk vs Wolverine wasnt the original draw it was definately a big one when I saw that he was writing it. I then found out it had been suspended for over a year and got pissed. Meh.
Still some good ****.
I also thought both issues were pretty damn good. Some of the best Ive read in the Ultimate line.
My fan boy-ish-ness is getting the better of me now so I'll leave it there.

Latest posts

Back