Ultimate X (Loeb/Adams)

The solicit mentions her name is Karen, so I doubt its a version of Scarlet Witch...more likely its a character everyone will completely forget about after reading the issue...

Yeah. I get the feeling all these characters are supposed to be OH EHM GEE ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT!

Read the preview.

Goddammit, Loeb, you DID write it about Wolverine's son. Son of a *****. Man, what is the point in permanently killing off a character, making a big deal about it...and then introducing a character who is the exact same in every way (powers-wise).

Also, love how all the names in the dialog were bolded and italicized. He did the same thing in the first Ultimatum issue, and it was equally as retarded. An employee at my local comic book store tried to convince me that buying UX was a good idea. **** that. Loeb had his chance. I'm downloading this at best.

Zeek, you're too kind. As if Wolverine's kid will be different in terms of personality.

I love how, originally, one of Bill Jemas' reasons for doing the Ultimate line was that 'what ifs' didn't work. A big problem of the core universe was new readers couldn't get into it. However, one thing Marvel has tried to do, time and time again, is restart the Marvel universe with the next generation. The children of the old heroes. The idea behind this is that you have new superheroes who are just like the ones everyone loves, but because they are young and new, they have no continuity and people can grow up with them!

Except it has always failed because their very presence belies a larger continuity that took place before them that you're supposed to know about. It also becomes thought of as 'not real' because the 'real' versions are still having present-day adventures in the 'real' universe. And because people want Wolverine not Wolverine's kid who's exactly the same.

Their 'bold, new direction' is the same damn direction everyone's tried since ****ing Popeye and Son and it has never, ever worked. What's more, the Ultimate universe was designed specifically to combat this kind of reinvention. It's a 'what if' of a goddam 'what if' now.

How can anyone involved in this book honestly think it is a good idea to kill off Wolverine in a poor fight, only to replace him with his kid-version?

If you want to tell stories about Wolverine, then don't kill him off. Dammit!

The problem I have with Wolverine having a son is that it adds to HIS character and not his son's. I still know nothing about Wolvie Jr., and I certainly don't care about him...

Zeek, you're too kind. As if Wolverine's kid will be different in terms of personality.

I love how, originally, one of Bill Jemas' reasons for doing the Ultimate line was that 'what ifs' didn't work. A big problem of the core universe was new readers couldn't get into it. However, one thing Marvel has tried to do, time and time again, is restart the Marvel universe with the next generation. The children of the old heroes. The idea behind this is that you have new superheroes who are just like the ones everyone loves, but because they are young and new, they have no continuity and people can grow up with them!

Except it has always failed because their very presence belies a larger continuity that took place before them that you're supposed to know about. It also becomes thought of as 'not real' because the 'real' versions are still having present-day adventures in the 'real' universe. And because people want Wolverine not Wolverine's kid who's exactly the same.

Their 'bold, new direction' is the same damn direction everyone's tried since ****ing Popeye and Son and it has never, ever worked. What's more, the Ultimate universe was designed specifically to combat this kind of reinvention. It's a 'what if' of a goddam 'what if' now.

How can anyone involved in this book honestly think it is a good idea to kill off Wolverine in a poor fight, only to replace him with his kid-version?

If you want to tell stories about Wolverine, then don't kill him off. Dammit!

Quite rightly. The way to do a what-if universe right is just careful editorial, insuring that the characters themselves remain unchanged, unfettered by layers of confusing back-story. Characters can grow and evolve, but at their core, they need to stay simple and iconic enough for anyone to jump in without knowing a tangled web of background.

And the funny thing is, Wolverine, in either universe, is about the least needed reboot ever. Despite the pages and pages of twists and turns in the character, he's essentially a simple character in whatever universe you place him in. He's a short, hairy guy with claws on his hands, who eviscerates anything he comes in contact with. That's it. That's all you need to know.

Which leads me to....

Goodwill said:
The problem I have with Wolverine having a son is that it adds to HIS character and not his son's. I still know nothing about Wolvie Jr., and I certainly don't care about him...

Exactly! All you're doing is straying away from the core concept. All you're doing is diluting and complicating the story of Wolverine and his son and making both more difficult to relate to.

Last edited:
Comics Continuum is the worst comics website ever. It's slow and ugly and I'm about to add the domain to the swear filter so that no one can link to it anymore.

Wait, you were in a hurry to read this??. I knew you were a gluten for punishment, but this really...

Guys, im confused. If wolverine is dead in the present, how can he be Cable in the future?

Or is this new kid gonna be cable?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back