Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Yeah, sorry about that. It was 1500. I don't know how I messed it up that bad. Maybe I conflated it with the Solo trailer where it's said Chewbacca is 190...

And a couple more points I caught:

Gamora says she hates Thanos, and Thanos replies that she said that to him "every day for almost 20 years". I don't know if we should assume that means it was almost 20 years from the time he took her in (in the flashback) until she left him. She probably didn't hate him from the start, so maybe it was more time than that.

And according to Thor, Thanos got the power stone when he attacked Xandar "last week", though it's not clear how he knows that. Maybe Thanos gloated with it right before the first scene of the movie (the movie opens with Thanos and his henchmen in the Asgard ship, with most of the Asgardians already dead and Thor incapacitated).

Yeah, sorry about that. It was 1500. I don't know how I messed it up that bad. Maybe I conflated it with the Solo trailer where it's said Chewbacca is 190...

And a couple more points I caught:

Gamora says she hates Thanos, and Thanos replies that she said that to him "every day for almost 20 years". I don't know if we should assume that means it was almost 20 years from the time he took her in (in the flashback) until she left him. She probably didn't hate him from the start, so maybe it was more time than that.

And according to Thor, Thanos got the power stone when he attacked Xandar "last week", though it's not clear how he knows that. Maybe Thanos gloated with it right before the first scene of the movie (the movie opens with Thanos and his henchmen in the Asgard ship, with most of the Asgardians already dead and Thor incapacitated).

Which means The Cosmic Quest Vol 1: The Beginning novel has to occur sometime in that week long span. Nice. Always love narrowing stuff down more. :)

As for Thor being 1500... that kind of conflicts with the first Thor film's timeline of 965 AD, least for Loki. Unless we're to assume Thor is around 500 years older than Loki, which I suppose is possible, but that means he retained a child like form until around 500 years old, which does sort of match up if you look at it as a slowed aging process compared to humans. So, for Asgardians, 500 years or so is equivalent to 10 years aging for a human, which lines up with Thor being around 30 years old (by human comparison in terms of appearance) at 1500 years old.

So, it works, it just requires acknowledging Loki is about 400-500 years younger than Thor, though their similar appearing ages in the first Thor film's flashbacks can be attributed to their different origins/genetics... one is an Asgardian, the other is a Frost Giant.

Yeah, just saw the film, and there's a couple of references to Civil War being two years ago, and at least one reference to The Avengers being six years ago, so the 'eight years later' is very firmly out the window.

Having come from it now, I'll add what I can:
*Yup, Tony says the Battle of New York was 6 years ago, and it was great.
*Vision says it's been 2 years since he and Wanda started disappearing off together for a while at a time, which we know from the prelude comic was just after Civil War.
*Rhodey, I think it was, says it's been a couple of years since Civil War.
*Again I think it was Rhodey says that Steve went into the ice 70 years ago. The "75" in Age of Ultron and the "70" in this should have just switched.
*The flashbacks with Gamora are said to have been from "almost 20 years" before Guardians of the Galaxy, because they're made to sound the "almost 20 years" is the time Gamora spent with Thanos, so they're around the mid-1990s.
*Thor says he's "fifteen-hundred" (1500). You have to assume he's rounding. He's probably thinking "I'm a bit over 1000 but I was born 2 millennia ago, I'm just going to say I'm 1500". Like, if it were March 2018 and I were talking about an event from about December 2016, I'd probably say "about a year-and-a-half ago", because it's 1 in mathematical rounded years but 2 calendar years, and I'd want to settle in the middle. He's probably basically saying he's a millennia-and-a-half old. He can't be much older than Loki, because in Thor: Ragnarok, he finishes telling the snake story saying, "... And he stabbed me. We were 8 at the time." This means that they're less than a year apart. Plus, traditionally, at least in the comics and the wiki says in the films as well (although I don't know whether this was confirmed), Asgardians age at a normal rate until adulthood before slowing down, and with them both being 10-11 in scenes shown in Thor, they must be close in age. I actually did some calculations a while back, and while it's out-of-date/needs updating (I hadn't caught the line about them being 8, Thor: Ragnarok was still placed in mid-2017 mainly based on it being 2 years since Avengers: Age of Ultron, and now there's new data from Avengers: Infinity War), but at the time I came to the conclusion that Asgardians age normally to about 19.5, and then age at about one 97.6th of the speed of a human.
*Vision turned off his receiver to go to spend time with Wanda 2 weeks ago. Not really important to this discussion because it's not a scene, but oh well.
*A big thing happened a week ago.
Thanos taking the Power Stone from Xandar, as discussed above.
*Bucky calls himself a "100-year-old man" (could very much be considered rounding, but technically, he would still literally be 100 before March 2018 ).
*They say it's "years" since Thor: The Dark World.

Also, an extra point which I'm putting in spoiler tags because while I won't talk about the reasoning, some people could take hints, maybe right or wrong, from what I say. But I would be SHOCKED if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does a tie-in episode. Frankly, the rest of Season 5 and almost all of Season 6, if it happens, will have to be set before Infinity War. Nothing in the MCU can pass Infinity War, because it has a cliffhanger of an ending that would be spoiled otherwise. For the same reasons, Ant-Man and the Wasp is 100% either set fully before or before/during Infinity War. It cannot be after.

Last edited:
Do we know how much time passes between the Bucky post-credits scene in BP and IW?

No. Our only clue is T'Challa saying "the White Wolf has rested long enough".

But then I feel like he hasn't been awake that long, since eventually he and Cap would want to meet up. Unless Cap has already visited him in Wakanda. I'll have to watch IW again.

And we know that Shuri knew how to fix Bucky "months" after Civil War, as per the Prelude comic.

Last edited:
I saw the Russo Black Panther thing, but I don't think it means anything. Whenever anyone asks the Russos about the timeline, they're just like "real time". It happened when asked about the time between Age of Ultron and Civil War, when asked about the time between Civil War and Infinity War, and now Black Panther and Infinity War. Plus, in their films, you have Vision saying it's 8 years since Iron Man in Civil War, Sam saying it's 2 years since Winter Soldier in Civil War, and Vision saying it's 2 years since Civil War in Infinity War, and Tony saying it's 6 years since Avengers in Infinity War. You could interpret it as being them referring to the credits scene of Black Panther, but I took the moment with the White Wolf in Infinity War to mean that Bucky had just been helping farm in Wakanda for quite a while. We know Shuri was probably about 80% there with fixing Bucky "months" after Civil War, so I'd say they woke him only a couple of months later. The Black Panther scene is also a little bit after him being woken, because Shuri asks the kids if they're bothering him "again", or something like that.

Last edited:
Ok cool! How about the GOTG Vol. 2 Teen Groot scene? How long before IW does that take place?

It's not referenced at all. But it's the exact same character design for Groot, I'll try and see if I can tell if he's playing the same video game or not. Not that it'll definitively place it... and I doubt anything ever will. It's just a gag scene anyways.

It's not referenced at all. But it's the exact same character design for Groot, I'll try and see if I can tell if he's playing the same video game or not. Not that it'll definitively place it... and I doubt anything ever will. It's just a gag scene anyways.

Ok thanks! I am just super anal about this stuff, no matter how small the scene lol

So after tonight I'd say Trump, if not a Trump analogue, won the 2016 election. That's like the millionth reference to the current administration in AOS.

However (mild Infinity War spoiler):
Was it stated the Ross was still Secretary of State? Or is he just an Avengers liaison in another position? I noticed he had his same aid from Civil War.

While it's not totally unprecedented, it's EXTREMELY rare in the past 100 years even for a presidential cabinet head to stay on through a change in leadership. Nothing you can't explain away, just pointing it out.

"Did you see what's happening in New York?"

Infinity War takes place in January 2018, confirmed?

"Did you see what's happening in New York?"

Infinity War takes place in January 2018, confirmed?

I think it was ment to be reference to IW, but if that doesn't work for timeline, it's vague enough to just ignore or pretend it's about one of Defenders shows. I haven't seen most recent of Netflix stuff yet, but there's always something going on in NY in MCU.

I think it was ment to be reference to IW, but if that doesn't work for timeline, it's vague enough to just ignore or pretend it's about one of Defenders shows. I haven't seen most recent of Netflix stuff yet, but there's always something going on in NY in MCU.

Good point. They always lag behind their release date, so while I'm betting Cage 2 is like Summer 2017, DD 3 or IF 2 will more than likely be within a couple months of January 2018 so I'm betting that works.

Hope that's not the extent of our IW "crossover" though.

However (mild Infinity War spoiler):
Was it stated the Ross was still Secretary of State? Or is he just an Avengers liaison in another position? I noticed he had his same aid from Civil War.

While it's not totally unprecedented, it's EXTREMELY rare in the past 100 years even for a presidential cabinet head to stay on through a change in leadership. Nothing you can't explain away, just pointing it out.

I think Cap calls him "Mr. Secretary", I'm not sure if anyone else does. Of course it could be argued that Cap has been in hiding so he's a little out of the loop, but it seems unlikely he wouldn't stay on top of things.

I don't remember any references to secretaries or presidents in IW. What am I missing here? I don't think what I asked requires spoiler tags, but feel free to answer with them.

Yeah, just saw the film, and there's a couple of references to Civil War being two years ago, and at least one reference to The Avengers being six years ago, so the 'eight years later' is very firmly out the window.

Yup, glad we have an official retcon of that 8 years later thing from Homecoming.

Having come from it now, I'll add what I can:
*Yup, Tony says the Battle of New York was 6 years ago, and it was great.
*Vision says it's been 2 years since he and Wanda started disappearing off together for a while at a time, which we know from the prelude comic was just after Civil War.
*Rhodey, I think it was, says it's been a couple of years since Civil War.
*Again I think it was Rhodey says that Steve went into the ice 70 years ago. The "75" in Age of Ultron and the "70" in this should have just switched.
*The flashbacks with Gamora are said to have been from "almost 20 years" before Guardians of the Galaxy, because they're made to sound the "almost 20 years" is the time Gamora spent with Thanos, so they're around the mid-1990s.
*Thor says he's "fifteen-hundred" (1500). You have to assume he's rounding. He's probably thinking "I'm a bit over 1000 but I was born 2 millennia ago, I'm just going to say I'm 1500". Like, if it were March 2018 and I were talking about an event from about December 2016, I'd probably say "about a year-and-a-half ago", because it's 1 in mathematical rounded years but 2 calendar years, and I'd want to settle in the middle. He's probably basically saying he's a millennia-and-a-half old. He can't be much older than Loki, because in Thor: Ragnarok, he finishes telling the snake story saying, "... And he stabbed me. We were 8 at the time." This means that they're less than a year apart. Plus, traditionally, at least in the comics and the wiki says in the films as well (although I don't know whether this was confirmed), Asgardians age at a normal rate until adulthood before slowing down, and with them both being 10-11 in scenes shown in Thor, they must be close in age. I actually did some calculations a while back, and while it's out-of-date/needs updating (I hadn't caught the line about them being 8, Thor: Ragnarok was still placed in mid-2017 mainly based on it being 2 years since Avengers: Age of Ultron, and now there's new data from Avengers: Infinity War), but at the time I came to the conclusion that Asgardians age normally to about 19.5, and then age at about one 97.6th of the speed of a human.

Ah, had forgotten about that mention in Ragnarok. Good catch.

*Vision turned off his receiver to go to spend time with Wanda 2 weeks ago. Not really important to this discussion because it's not a scene, but oh well.
*A big thing happened a week ago.
Thanos taking the Power Stone from Xandar, as discussed above.
*Bucky calls himself a "100-year-old man" (could very much be considered rounding, but technically, he would still literally be 100 before March 2018 ).
*They say it's "years" since Thor: The Dark World.

Also, an extra point which I'm putting in spoiler tags because while I won't talk about the reasoning, some people could take hints, maybe right or wrong, from what I say. But I would be SHOCKED if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does a tie-in episode. Frankly, the rest of Season 5 and almost all of Season 6, if it happens, will have to be set before Infinity War. Nothing in the MCU can pass Infinity War, because it has a cliffhanger of an ending that would be spoiled otherwise. For the same reasons, Ant-Man and the Wasp is 100% either set fully before or before/during Infinity War. It cannot be after.

Unfortunately with last night's episode of AoS referencing the stuff going on in New York, they are indeed seemingly doing crossover with it (though very slight and subtle, so more reference than crossover). However, we can assume last night's episode (which made the reference to IW) occurs during first half of film (the film seems to cover a couple days, starting midday on Day 1 and ending around same time, or at least well into day, of following day, Day 2). Likely last night's episode occurs during Day 1, with the initial attack on New York.

However, if by next episode
some of the agents haven't disappeared into a cloud of ash
, that's going to create a huge continuity gaffe/problem.

I'm pretty sure Ant-Man and the Wasp has been confirmed to occur before Infinity War, but I may be wrong.

Just checked, apparently Marvel have confirmed Ant-Man and the Wasp occurs sometime before Infinity War (but obviously after Civil War and Black Panther):

https://www.cbr.com/ant-man-and-the-wasp-marvel-timeline/

Weird article I just found: https://nerdist.com/avengers-infinity-war-mcu-timeline-thor-ragnarok-black-panther-civil-war/

Apparently Joe Russo was quoted saying IW is shortly after BP, and that they're roughly 2.5 months apart...

That's clearly wrong. However, you could take it as him referring to the post-credit scene since that's the actual end of the movie.

Yeah, once again they're just kind of following real world release date stuff and not really acknowledging the dialogue or dates on props. But the dialogue and what's shown onscreen always trump anything else, far as this timeline is concerned. It's odd, there's often a notable discrepancy in what's shown or heard onscreen versus what the directors/producers/actors mention in interviews regarding the timeline of the various entries.

No. Our only clue is T'Challa saying "the White Wolf has rested long enough".

But then I feel like he hasn't been awake that long, since eventually he and Cap would want to meet up. Unless Cap has already visited him in Wakanda. I'll have to watch IW again.

And we know that Shuri knew how to fix Bucky "months" after Civil War, as per the Prelude comic.

The way I view it is that BP post credit scene with Bucky occurs, as said, months after events of Civil War, so likely late in 2017. I imagine after awakening he continued some form of therapy and testing under Shuri's guidance to completely eliminate the brainwashing and trigger words. So figure, he's been recuperating for probably at least a few months after awakening in late 2017, so likely early 2018.

I saw the Russo Black Panther thing, but I don't think it means anything. Whenever anyone asks the Russos about the timeline, they're just like "real time". It happened when asked about the time between Age of Ultron and Civil War, when asked about the time between Civil War and Infinity War, and now Black Panther and Infinity War. Plus, in their films, you have Vision saying it's 8 years since Iron Man in Civil War, Sam saying it's 2 years since Winter Soldier in Civil War, and Vision saying it's 2 years since Civil War in Infinity War, and Tony saying it's 6 years since Avengers in Infinity War. You could interpret it as being them referring to the credits scene of Black Panther, but I took the moment with the White Wolf in Infinity War to mean that Bucky had just been helping farm in Wakanda for quite a while. We know Shuri was probably about 80% there with fixing Bucky "months" after Civil War, so I'd say they woke him only a couple of months later. The Black Panther scene is also a little bit after him being woken, because Shuri asks the kids if they're bothering him "again", or something like that.

Exactly.

Ok cool! How about the GOTG Vol. 2 Teen Groot scene? How long before IW does that take place?

No way to know exactly. Sometime not too long based on Groot's appearance/age being same, but no way to specify.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back