Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

So watching the newest Agents of SHIELD episode 5x18 "All Roads Lead...", and Talbot again mentioned he'd been held captive for six months by Hale.

He was shot in the head by the Daisy/Quake LMD in AoS 4x22, which has to occur in May, 2017 due to the specific April date of Mack's deceased daughter's birthday in mid Season 4 and passage of time in following episodes (at least ten days based on flashbacks of how long they'd been in Framework) puts the end of season likely in May, 2017.

So, obviously a head wound like that will take some time to recover, and Talbot was shown to be in early phases of that when Hale first took him from hospital. If we assume the current time is around January, 2018 in terms of current episodes of AoS, then him being held for six months by Hale means she took him from hospital only around a month or so after he was first shot.

As established, this aligns well with the early December, 2017 date shown in 5x12 on heart monitor.

Last edited:
Apparently Marvel's Black Panther: The Art of the Movie says that the vibranium meteorite struck Africa 2.5 million years ago.

Also, I've been working for a while on a big blog piece for why "8 years later" does not work.

This piece does work on the wiki timeline of course, so there are references to Captain America: Civil War being May-June, not March-April, and Spider-Man: Homecoming being September, not October. There's references to Iron Man being 2009 and Fury's Big Week 2010, which was the compromise we decided worked best when we mathematically worked through all the contradictory Phase One evidence last year - rather than you guys' 2008 and 2011, due to our somewhat different approaches. There's references to Captain America: The Winter Soldier being January 2014, which we decided was best because of things like 2,12 - Who You Really Are saying in 2015 that 1,15 - Yes Men was "last year" and Sam saying they searched for Bucky for "2 years" in Civil War - again, slightly different approaches. Things like that.
I do also talk about things being "firmly placed" in those dates despite there actually being some debate, but that was mainly because it was far too messy to talk about the different opinions on different things too much and get sidetracked, and it helps to look unwavering with the points made, instead of talking about, "Well, OK, this could move to this because of x, y, and z,". It makes a more compelling argument than talking about too much flexibility. So I'm sorry that it won't all work for you guys, but it still might be useful.

If you guys are interested in having this resource to use to explain to people why it doesn't work, whether later on in this thread or on other threads any users here partake in, here it is. I am very happy for this to be shared as far and wide as anyone wishes.

Why The Avengers Has to Be in 2012, Civil War (and Thus Homecoming) Has to Be in 2016, and "8 Years Later" Cannot Work.

Last edited:
I'll have to read that later today, Agamotto. (I'm sure I'll agree with every word).

In the meantime, here's this timely piece of news: https://mcuexchange.com/8-years-later-mistake-homecoming/

Lol, was just about to post that:

Validation... sort of...

During a recent interview/trivia session to promote Avengers: Infinity War (which you can check out in the player below), Joe Russo was asked, "What was the time gap between the events of Avengers and Spider-Man: Homecoming?"

"Oh, it was eight years, I believe," he replied. "And it was quite controversial," the interview noted before Russo added: "Yes, it was a very incorrect eight years."

So, we've heard at first the 8 years later was correct at first, that it would be reflected in a new official timeline, and now Russo is saying opposite (which I'm on board with for obvious reasons).

Nice, thanks for heads up on that, fixed for it on timeline.

Also, I've been working for a while on a big blog piece for why "8 years later" does not work.

This piece does work on the wiki timeline of course, so there are references to Captain America: Civil War being May-June, not March-April, and Spider-Man: Homecoming being September, not October. There's references to Iron Man being 2009 and Fury's Big Week 2010, which was the compromise we decided worked best when we mathematically worked through all the contradictory Phase One evidence last year - rather than you guys' 2008 and 2011, due to our somewhat different approaches. There's references to Captain America: The Winter Soldier being January 2014, which we decided was best because of things like 2,12 - Who You Really Are saying in 2015 that 1,15 - Yes Men was "last year" and Sam saying they searched for Bucky for "2 years" in Civil War - again, slightly different approaches. Things like that.
I do also talk about things being "firmly placed" in those dates despite there actually being some debate, but that was mainly because it was far too messy to talk about the different opinions on different things too much and get sidetracked, and it helps to look unwavering with the points made, instead of talking about, "Well, OK, this could move to this because of x, y, and z,". It makes a more compelling argument than talking about too much flexibility. So I'm sorry that it won't all work for you guys, but it still might be useful.

If you guys are interested in having this resource to use to explain to people why it doesn't work, whether later on in this thread or on other threads any users here partake in, here it is. I am very happy for this to be shared as far and wide as anyone wishes.

Why The Avengers Has to Be in 2012, Civil War (and Thus Homecoming) Has to Be in 2016, and "8 Years Later" Cannot Work.

Really fantastic breakdown. Well done. While I disagree regarding some placements due to prop dates, its extremely well researched.

Last edited:
Thanks, man! Spent a lot of time on it.

Also, I mention this in the blog, but a registration/inspection sticker in Homecoming says "6 16", which still doesn't work as September/October 2016, but works better than 2017.

I also noticed an advert for The Voice in the film a while ago, but it was too blurry. I forgot, but now, rewatching Homecoming tonight, it reminded me, and I have now checked the HD screencap. It's the Season 11 poster, which began in September 2016.

So, two slightly reassuring things placing the film in September/October 2016 rather than 2017 - even if they're both most likely just things which slipped through from the time of filming, nonetheless, they appear in the film. I thought you guys might like a bit of comfort over Homecoming being 2016 - that there is a bit of evidence placing it in 2016, rather than 2017 as the Aaron Davis thing and the 2017 software would suggest (which can also just be explained as it being late 2016 and the "2017 edition" has just been release).

And another fun discovery, I just looked up the YouTube channel which Peter looks at, "RocketRobinson67", and it actually exists, with Spider-Man videos. I don't know if it's fan-made or if Marvel really made it, though.

So while it hasn't been officially announced yet, Marvel does seem to be making progress on a Black Widow solo film, which according to reports will be set before Iron Man, about 15 years after fall of Soviet Union (so 2006 or so).

Link

"The film will find Natasha living in the United States 15 years after the fall of the Soviet Union! That timeline places the film firmly in the mid-2000s, meaning we'll meet up with Nat prior to the events of Iron Man 2. That time frame opens up plenty of options, and while many fans seem to want a Black Widow/Hawkeye team up in Budapest, we've been told that early discussions about the film involved Sebastian Stan's Winter Soldier."

So, after reading spoiler/detailed plot summary of Infinity War,
it seems the film does indeed open immediately after Thor - Ragnarok, and if I recall we don't actually see Thanos attack the Nova Corps to get the Power Stone, so the Cosmic Quest novel's mention of that indicates it occurs just before Infinity War also

I'll have to see the film and read the book to figure out best order.

So, after reading spoiler/detailed plot summary of Infinity War,
it seems the film does indeed open immediately after Thor - Ragnarok, and if I recall we don't actually see Thanos attack the Nova Corps to get the Power Stone, so the Cosmic Quest novel's mention of that indicates it occurs just before Infinity War also

I'll have to see the film and read the book to figure out best order.

Considering how big of an impact Thanos will make on Earth, that does not bode well for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s timeline.
Surely Noah the Chronicom would have mentioned that at the Lighthouse.

Considering how big of an impact Thanos will make on Earth, that does not bode well for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s timeline.
Surely Noah the Chronicom would have mentioned that at the Lighthouse.

No worries. We need only assume Thor - Ragnarok's post credit scene where they run into Thanos' ship occurs awhile after the main portion of the film. Figure a couple months, maybe 3. That allows enough time for AoS currently running episodes to finish up their season without stepping on any toes, and allow for Infinity War to pick up either AFTER Season 5, or possibly during depending on how far they go with the crossover element.

Just got home from the screening. The movie's amazing!

The only timeline-related thing I caught was Stark saying it's been six years since the attack on New York, so that works out nicely. And Thor says he's 150 years old, but I don't know if that does anything for us. And it's probably not an exact figure.

It indeed opens right where Ragnarok left off, with Thanos attacking the Asgardian ship. From there, it pretty much keeps moving and doesn't stop. It all probably takes place inside a day. At the opening, it's daytime in NYC, then we cut to evening/night in Scotland, and the ending takes place in Wakanda in broad daylight (that's the scenes on Earth, anyway).

Should be a pretty easy job to lay it out in the timeline, there's the one flashback to young Gamora that we see in the trailer (no hints about how long ago it was, though), other than that it shouldn't need much cutting up. There's a lot of intercutting between several setpieces happening at once, but probably no need to splice them up. The post-credits scene (yes, only one) is also clear, it happens concurrently with the ending of the main movie.

Going again tomorrow, will report back if I catch anything I missed the first time.

Last edited:
I made the brave decision (my curiosity got the better of me) to read the first bit of your spoiler tag, and I'm glad I did. I don't think a spoiler tag is necessary for the first bit, personally, since it's just timeline-related mentions from the film, and I think others might like to see that. Tony straight-up says it's been 6 years since the Battle of New York? That's massive, if they're basically explicitly walking back "8 years later", that's amazing! I'm kind of shocked, because as recently as October Feige was sticking with "8 years later", but Infinity War wrapped in July, I believe (I'm not going to check because apparently the whole plot's up on Wikipedia).

Can't wait to see it in less than 24 hours, and the reassurance that the timeline is not only sound in this film, but actually seemingly undoes the massive error, will definitely allow me to relax a little bit more and thoroughly enjoy it, so thanks for letting us know!

Also the Thor thing's weird, because he's older than Loki (Odin calls him his "firstborn" in Thor, back when he still pretended Loki was his son, so would have called Loki his firstborn if he were older (and also pretended Hela didn't exist)) and Loki was born in 965 A.D.. But oh well.

No worries. We need only assume Thor - Ragnarok's post credit scene where they run into Thanos' ship occurs awhile after the main portion of the film. Figure a couple months, maybe 3. That allows enough time for AoS currently running episodes to finish up their season without stepping on any toes, and allow for Infinity War to pick up either AFTER Season 5, or possibly during depending on how far they go with the crossover element.

Agreed. I just finished rewatching Ragnarok and their ship certainly isn't moving at warp speed or anything. I think it's fair to assume it'd take months to get anywhere at that slow crawl pace.

I made the brave decision (my curiosity got the better of me) to read the first bit of your spoiler tag, and I'm glad I did. I don't think a spoiler tag is necessary for the first bit, personally, since it's just timeline-related mentions from the film, and I think others might like to see that. Tony straight-up says it's been 6 years since the Battle of New York? That's massive, if they're basically explicitly walking back "8 years later", that's amazing! I'm kind of shocked, because as recently as October Feige was sticking with "8 years later", but Infinity War wrapped in July, I believe (I'm not going to check because apparently the whole plot's up on Wikipedia).

Yeah, weird. But I'll take it!

Can't wait to see it in less than 24 hours, and the reassurance that the timeline is not only sound in this film, but actually seemingly undoes the massive error, will definitely allow me to relax a little bit more and thoroughly enjoy it, so thanks for letting us know!

Haha, same here. I about fell out of my seat when they pulled that crap in Homecoming, my wife thought there was something seriously wrong with me lol. This news makes my day. Can't wait to watch the idiots in the "8 years later" camp eat crow in the coming days.

Also the Thor thing's weird.

Hm. Maybe he meant in Asgardian years, which could be very different?

Yeah just recently during the press they're doing for IW, Joe Russo straight up said the 8 years later thing was "incorrect":

During a recent interview/trivia session to promote Avengers: Infinity War (which you can check out in the player below), Joe Russo was asked, "What was the time gap between the events of Avengers and Spider-Man: Homecoming?"

"Oh, it was eight years, I believe," he replied. "And it was quite controversial," the interview noted before Russo added: "Yes, it was a very incorrect eight years."

I posted link to article about it several posts above on this page. So, it seems they at least realize the 8 years tag can't work given the other evidence against it, and are walking it back some, least according to that statement. We'll see...

Also the Thor thing's weird, because he's older than Loki (Odin calls him his "firstborn" in Thor, back when he still pretended Loki was his son, so would have called Loki his firstborn if he were older (and also pretended Hela didn't exist)) and Loki was born in 965 A.D.. But oh well.

Yeah not sure what's up with that... I'll have to watch it and see if there's some additional context or something...

Last edited:
I remember Thor saying 150, but now you're making me doubt myself. Maybe I'm mistaken, maybe it was 1500? I'll double check and report back in approximately seven hours, after my second time seeing it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back