Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

While it certainly doesn't look like Nidavellir, it could have been a special room there. Or even somewhere on Sanctuary II.

And for what it's worth, we don't really see much of Nidavellir anyway, and what we do see is desolate, very dark, and poorly-lit. If that vault scene needs to be set there, then perhaps that's just what part of it looked like before the dwarf star froze and the forge fell into disrepair?

Last edited:
That would be 5:24 PM in Wakanda. Close enough for the Sun to be up I guess. It would probably work better earlier in the day though. Not only for Wakanda but the lighting in the Atlanta scene looked more like it was shortly after sunrise.

If we're running with Tony's phone being correct, that makes it around the 6 o'clock hour in the Scotland scenes. This would lend to the January placement with it getting dark early, being before daylight savings in March.

Well, by the time the Edinburgh scenes play out, it would be about 2PM New York/7PM Scotland(/9PM Wakanda).

Assuming it's 2PM New York, working through the dates and sunset times gives:
*January 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 3:49PM UTC and Scotland.
*February 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 4:45PM UTC and Scotland.
*March 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 5:46PM UTC and Scotland.
*March 10th - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:05PM UTC and Scotland.
--New York clocks change--
*March 11th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:07PM UTC and Scotland. So doesn't work.
*March 24th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:34PM UTC and Scotland. So doesn't work.
--Scotland clocks change--
*March 25th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and 7PM Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:36PM UTC and 7:36 PM Scotland. So doesn't work.

So it would suggest it's no later than March 10th.

This video gives the impression of "Wonder where Ant-Man and Wasp were in Infinity War? Well, the answer's coming up, in Ant-Man and the Wasp," which would suggest the film is set right before/during Infinity War. But it could just be a case of them going "Hey, did you miss Ant-Man and Wasp in Infinity War? Well, they have their own film coming up! Go see it!"

Also, I did some research a little while back, because someone pointed out to me that the new Salesforce Tower is visible in the first trailer in the San Francisco skyline. I looked up the construction timeline, and concluded:
*June 24, 2017 - the first conceivable date that the building looks good enough for that trailer shot. It's incomplete, but complete enough that from that distance you could say it looks good enough, and the crane is hidden behind.
*September 27, 2017 - the first date in which the exterior of the building looks fully done.
*November 16, 2017 - the date from which the exterior looks complete. Ideally, the scene with the building in would be after this date, but if necessary, it can be earlier.
So theoretically, Ant-Man and the Wasp should be no earlier than late 2017.

Second trailer tomorrow.

Edit: Tony's flip phone says "Wed" "01:21PM".

Last edited:
I just assumed Thor learned of Xandar's destruction during the attack on the Asgardian ship, perhaps overhearing the Children of Thanos mention it or something.

I really DO want to put a break between the post credit scene where they run into Thanos's ship and the rest of Ragnarok, but it seems like not much time has passed considering they're discussing going to Earth.

My wife brought that up to me last night after watching Ragnarok again. She told me she thinks that conversation has to occur not too long after the ending of the film with the way they are talking about Earth. I agree it wouldn't take them months to have that conversation. Perhaps days or maybe weeks.

My wife brought that up to me last night after watching Ragnarok again. She told me she thinks that conversation has to occur not too long after the ending of the film with the way they are talking about Earth. I agree it wouldn't take them months to have that conversation. Perhaps days or maybe weeks.

It certainly feels like not much time had passed, no argument there. But Loki could have been putting it off for any number of reasons. Maybe they'd already talked about it but after a couple months had passed, Loki felt the need to bring it up again.

Either way, working with the AOS timeline, it had to be at least 1 months after the destruction of Asgard.

It's also possible that the Asgardian ship spent a month or so evading Thanos's ship after that initial encounter at the end of Ragnarok.

TC

So this is weird: https://screenrant.com/avengers-4-cassie-lang-emma-fuhrmann-cast/

16 year old Emma Fuhrmann will play Cassie Lang in Avengers 4, a role played by a 10 year old in Ant-Man and the Wasp. I can't see them placing the movie several years after IW, so I guess we should expect time travel shenanigans?

There's also a line in the new Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer where the 10 year old Cassie says "I wish I could fight bad guys like you". Throwaway line or setting her up as Stature (wasn't that her name in Young Avengers)?

It's also possible that the Asgardian ship spent a month or so evading Thanos's ship after that initial encounter at the end of Ragnarok.

TC

Ehhhh, maybe. The ship the Asgardians were on seemed pretty slow and was just something The Grandmaster used for travel. Whereas Sanctuary II is a massive warship that seemed extremely fast. I also feel like Thor would have acted already/the distress signal would have been answered long ago.

So this is weird: https://screenrant.com/avengers-4-cassie-lang-emma-fuhrmann-cast/

16 year old Emma Fuhrmann will play Cassie Lang in Avengers 4, a role played by a 10 year old in Ant-Man and the Wasp. I can't see them placing the movie several years after IW, so I guess we should expect time travel shenanigans?

There's also a line in the new Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer where the 10 year old Cassie says "I wish I could fight bad guys like you". Throwaway line or setting her up as Stature (wasn't that her name in Young Avengers)?

I saw that too. Either time travel/reality bending fun, or A4 takes place like 5 years later and when they fix the whole Thanos situation, the timeline resets back to 2018.

I saw that too. Either time travel/reality bending fun, or A4 takes place like 5 years later and when they fix the whole Thanos situation, the timeline resets back to 2018.

Abby Ryder Fortson was about 6y7m old at the middle of filming for Ant-Man, so her birthday shown in the film is probably her 6th (child actors don't usually play characters older than themselves) or 7th birthday (if Ant-Man and the Wasp is set less than like 2.5 years after Ant-Man and Cassie's looking 9, then that would push her closer to being 7 in Ant-Man than 6 - she was about 9y6m old at the middle filming for Ant-Man and the Wasp). So she was born in the second half of either 2008 or 2009 - July or October, depending on interpretation. Emma Fuhrmann, the actress supposedly cast as an older Cassie, would have been about 16y1m old during filming for Avengers 4, so, if this is true, we'd be looking at parts of the film at least being set c. 2024-2025.

I saw a rumor the other day that Avengers 4 is set about 5 years post-Infinity War, and involve Tony and Hank creating a device to allow them to go back in time to try and change events.

This is really interesting news, and I think halfway helps cement a theory of mine. I'm thinking right now the way we see it with SHIELD we get:

2017 - Ragnarok/AOS (Whichever episode references it)
2017/18 - More AOS S5
2018 - Infinity War/AOS (Most Recent Episode)
2022 - AOS Flashforwards
2091 - AOS S5 Timetravel stuff

Then it loops back around with everything up to 2022 still happening into
2023 - A4/Likely the conclusion of the timeloop story in AOS S6.

I don't think anything past here is too spoilery, but just in case....

I see it going one of two ways, with Coulson being "saved" in Season 5 and continuing the timeloop and his death taking place mid Season 6, or him dying in S5 (potentially being snapped out of existence by Thanos while simultaneously having the Scepter wound kill him.

Once whatever is done on the film side of things to "fix" the issue will end up bringing Coulson back to life on the film side and the movie will find a way to explain it as him coming back from the scepter stabbing so they don't have to get in depth with the AOS events (hence, why they're using this wound to re-kill him in the show rather than any other way they possibly could).

Evidence may be thin, but I think with the way the timeline is shaping up, the debate in the show over whether or not time can be changed vs what we know from the movies with Doctor Strange seeing 14 million plus potential futures, and his reintroduction to the film side in Captain Marvel, things seem to be shaping up pretty well for Coulson to return in present day (I expected his name on the pager in the most recent post credit scene, but perhaps that would be too big of a spoiler while also not building interest in Cap, so maybe he'll be in the present in a Cap post-credits scene)

This does raise an interesting narrative "problem" for the Netflix shows though. Seeing as how so far they mostly take place around time of filming/year before release, if anything comes out in 2019, will it reference the events of IW? or will it not need to with a potential timeline reset. Would be weird to just never hear any of those characters mention that big of an event, but it could make sense. Theoretically anything they release 2019 would need to be released after A4 or still occur pre-IW to not potentially spoil anything.

Well, by the time the Edinburgh scenes play out, it would be about 2PM New York/7PM Scotland(/9PM Wakanda).

Assuming it's 2PM New York, working through the dates and sunset times gives:
*January 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 3:49PM UTC and Scotland.
*February 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 4:45PM UTC and Scotland.
*March 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 5:46PM UTC and Scotland.
*March 10th - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:05PM UTC and Scotland.
--New York clocks change--
*March 11th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:07PM UTC and Scotland. So doesn't work.
*March 24th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:34PM UTC and Scotland. So doesn't work.
--Scotland clocks change--
*March 25th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and 7PM Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:36PM UTC and 7:36 PM Scotland. So doesn't work.

So it would suggest it's no later than March 10th.

There might be a time on a board inside the train station. The fact that it is deserted would make you think it's the middle of the night though because there is no chance it would be like that in the middle of rush hour

Abby Ryder Fortson was about 6y7m old at the middle of filming for Ant-Man, so her birthday shown in the film is probably her 6th (child actors don't usually play characters older than themselves) or 7th birthday (if Ant-Man and the Wasp is set less than like 2.5 years after Ant-Man and Cassie's looking 9, then that would push her closer to being 7 in Ant-Man than 6 - she was about 9y6m old at the middle filming for Ant-Man and the Wasp). So she was born in the second half of either 2008 or 2009 - July or October, depending on interpretation. Emma Fuhrmann, the actress supposedly cast as an older Cassie, would have been about 16y1m old during filming for Avengers 4, so, if this is true, we'd be looking at parts of the film at least being set c. 2024-2025.

:rockon:

I saw a rumor the other day that Avengers 4 is set about 5 years post-Infinity War, and involve Tony and Hank creating a device to allow them to go back in time to try and change events.

That could be cool. I love that Hank and Janet are gonna be able to team up with the other founders.

There might be a time on a board inside the train station. The fact that it is deserted would make you think it's the middle of the night though because there is no chance it would be like that in the middle of rush hour

Maybe it took Corvus and Proxima a lot longer to track the mind stone?

I couldn't see any time at the train station but maybe. The rush hour thing is a good point, but I don't think it's possibly more than 2 or 3 hours since the attack in New York, since it's still "breaking news", and they've heard nothing.

January 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 3:49PM UTC/Scotland, so possible.

February 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 4:45PM UTC/Scotland, so possible.

March 1st - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 5:46PM UTC/Scotland, so possible.

March 10th - 2PM New York is 7PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:05PM UTC/Scotland, so possible.

--New York clocks change, but Scotland not yet.--

March 11th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:07PM UTC/Scotland, so either it's actually at least 2:30PM New York, 1 hour since the fight, and thus 6:30PM Scotland, or it doesn't work. Just about plausible though.

March 24th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:34PM UTC/Scotland, so either it's actually at least 3PM New York, 1½ hours since the fight, and thus 7PM Scotland, or it doesn't work. Still just about could work though.

--Scotland clocks change as well.--

March 25th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and 7PM Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 6:36PM UTC and 7:36PM Scotland, so either it's actually at least 3PM New York, 1½ hours since the fight, and thus 8PM Scotland, or it doesn't work. Still just about could work though.

April 6th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and 7PM Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 7PM UTC and 8PM Scotland, so either it's actually at least 3:30PM New York, 2 hours since the fight, and thus 8:30PM Scotland, or it doesn't work. Still just about could work though.

April 20th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and 7PM Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 7:29PM UTC and 8:29PM Scotland, so either it's actually at least 4PM New York, 2½ hours since the fight, and thus 9PM Scotland, or it doesn't work. Still just about could work though.

May 5th - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and 7PM Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 7:59PM UTC and 8:59PM Scotland, so either it's actually at least 4:30PM New York, 3 hours since the fight, and thus 9:30PM Scotland, or it doesn't work. Pushing it though, for it to still be "breaking news".

May 21st - 2PM New York is 6PM UTC and 7PM Scotland. Dark in Scotland from 8:29PM UTC and 9:29PM Scotland, so either it's actually at least 5PM New York, 3½ hours since the fight, and thus 10PM Scotland, or it doesn't work. This is the absolute latest it could be though, for it to still be "breaking news".

Also, happy 10th birthday MCU! Iron Man was released May 2, 2008.

Yeah that was my reasoning. Trust me, I'd LOVE to insert a break between the main film and post credit scene, but it wouldn't make sense in that regard.

TC

Possible but unlikely, as Thanos' ship clearly was more technologically advanced in terms of weaponry (since it so easily took out the Asgardian ship), odds are it was equally technologically advanced in terms of speed and maneuverability, despite its larger size.

Could be time travel. Could also be taken to mean Ant-Man & The Wasp occurs soon after Civil War in 2016 or 2017, and Avengers 4 could be set in 2019/real time. It's also possible the 16 year old actress is playing Cassie, but several years younger (say 13-14 years old). Just a possibility.

Time travel is also a likely possibility with the time stone. We'll just have to wait and see...

Hey everyone, sorry to break from the Infinity War/Ragnarok debate, but I had a question regarding the death of Sarah Rogers. The only evidence I could find to it was in "Captain America: First Vengeance" which is clearly wrong and a SHIELD file that puts it in 1936. So I was hoping someone could help me out with why it's in 1941 here? Maybe point me toward some evidence I glossed over haha.

Also, in regards to the Infinity War/Thor/Agents of Shield line up. And I'm just kind of jumping head first into a debate here only seeing Ragnarok twice and never having taken notes. But is it possible that Hela was on the throne much longer than it seems? I don't know if there is any evidence to back that up, but obviously Heimdall had a ton of time to round up almost all of Asgard into his safe....house? And since time is weird on Sakaar and clearly moves at a faster rate, such as Loki being separated from Thor seconds apart, but telling Thor he had been there for weeks (obviously I can't account for their individual journy to get to Sakaar, but my point is that maybe Hela was on the throne for a few months. I'm obviously a bit out of my element on this particular movie, so tell me if I am reaching but it seems like maybe

November/December:Earth portion of Ragnarok with nod in Agents of Shield
December-Wherever we are now- SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD
Hours before where Infinity War is placed-Escape from Sakaar, Destruction of Asgard, End Ragnarok scene
Couple hours after those events- Ragnarok post credits scene
Infinity War

Just me working this out out loud

Last edited:
Hey everyone, sorry to break from the Infinity War/Ragnarok debate, but I had a question regarding the death of Sarah Rogers. The only evidence I could find to it was in "Captain America: First Vengeance" which is clearly wrong and a SHIELD file that puts it in 1936. So I was hoping someone could help me out with why it's in 1941 here? Maybe point me toward some evidence I glossed over haha.

Also, in regards to the Infinity War/Thor/Agents of Shield line up. And I'm just kind of jumping head first into a debate here only seeing Ragnarok twice and never having taken notes. But is it possible that Hela was on the throne much longer than it seems? I don't know if there is any evidence to back that up, but obviously Heimdall had a ton of time to round up almost all of Asgard into his safe....house? And since time is weird on Sakaar and clearly moves at a faster rate, such as Loki being separated from Thor seconds apart, but telling Thor he had been there for weeks (obviously I can't account for their individual journy to get to Sakaar, but my point is that maybe Hela was on the throne for a few months. I'm obviously a bit out of my element on this particular movie, so tell me if I am reaching but it seems like maybe

November/December:Earth portion of Ragnarok with nod in Agents of Shield
December-Wherever we are now- SHIELD SHIELD SHIELD
Hours before where Infinity War is placed-Escape from Sakaar, Destruction of Asgard, End Ragnarok scene
Couple hours after those events- Ragnarok post credits scene
Infinity War

Just me working this out out loud
The 1941 First Vengeance events are the scenes where Steve and Bucky find out about Pearl Harbour. The Winter Soldier flashback with Sarah's funeral is in October 1936 - Steve says in Civil War that he was "18" when she died ("I've been on my own since I was 18"), putting it in 1936-37, and one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. files like you said says October 1936. I haven't checked if it's one of those fan-mad ones or one of the official ones, though. The scenes shown from 1924 with her seemingly on death's door in First Vengeance are still placed in 1924, with it explicitly saying so. I guess she just didn't actually die. Then the September 1930 scenes with him meeting Bucky and saying his mother died... I guess 12-year-old Steve was just trying to get some pity from Bucky :/ . It's overruled by the Winter Soldier scene showing that when she died he was at least 18 and he already knew Bucky, and him saying in Civil War that he was 18.

By the logic of time running faster on Sakaar because of the Loki thing, where "weeks" on Sakaar = about 10 seconds outside of Sakaar, then the 3 days Thor spends on Sakaar would amount to about 1 second outside of Sakaar. But I don't think there's any correlation. The Grandmaster only says, "Time works real different around these parts," before implying that people can be younger on Sakaar than they would be outside (which would mean time runs slower on Sakaar, with, say for example, 2 days on Sakaar = 1 day outside). As well as this - of course, Asgardians age at about 1/100th the speed of humans after reaching adulthood, but even so - Valkyrie looks no different now than she did 1000+ years prior, suggesting that she has aged less than that, perhaps only a few centuries, which would be only a few human years.

So yeah, probably no correlation, time's just speeding up and slowing down all over the place. But it seems to me like once Thor lands on Sakaar, it's actually about the same on Sakaar and Asgard. About 3 days pass for both. Hela doesn't seem like she's been there long, only just discovering that the Bifrost sword is gone, only just finishing her first round-up of the Asgardians and going to find the remaining people who've gone missing and are in hiding. Being in sync would also make sense for the Thor and Heimdall scene where the two of them are in sync.

Personally, I don't think the gap's that big of a deal. I would just say that Ragnarok is Autumn/Fall 2017, and then Infinity War is some time in early 2018 - around March if it turns out that the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. reference cannot refer to the film, thus allowing it to be a bit more like springtime while not being too long after Ragnarok and also fitting with the Scotland time zone stuff, or around January-February if the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. reference does pan out. A few months seems pretty fine to me. Perhaps they're only a few days out from Earth and Loki's just airing his concerns again considering they're going to arrive soon. I guess they have food and water on-board, or have stopped off for resources.

Again, I DO think the reference to New York was an intentional reference to Infinity War. And they're right that there isn't a crossover, like the first couple seasons did with direct crossovers, its a subtle reference like the past couple years have done.

I think Yo-Yo's recuperation time, as said, would be at least a month, and then we have to factor in the length of time for Fitz and Simmons to convert the android tech to work as a cybernetic, etc.

I'd say there's possible break points of at least a few weeks between 5x12 and 5x13 (with the latter putting us into January), and another possible break of a few weeks or more between 5x13 and 5x14. Remember, 4 weeks is the MINIMUM time in terms of healing for such an injury, but we also have to factor in the time, surgeries, and bug testing for her new cybernetic arms, which did present a challenge for Fitz, Simmons, and Mack.

Plus, again, its important to acknowledge the weather patterns in Infinity War absolutely don't reflect January in New York City. I think its more logical to assume slightly longer breaks between those few episodes to allow for the timeline to get to at least late Feb/early March to at least reflect early spring time. The winter weather in the outdoor scenes in AoS also no longer reflect winter weather.
Oh, I'm sure that it was intended as an Infinity War reference. It's just whether, in-universe, it can actually work as such.

I know the 4 weeks is only the minimum amount of time, but really, to me at least, it seems like merely days - that's why I was bringing up the minimum, because it feels to me like it should be as close as possible to about 4 days. At least 26 days have to pass between Episode 12 (2 days after Yo-Yo's arms were cut off) and Episode 14, and with Episode 13 falling somewhere in the middle and that being when they get the robotic arms, I assumed that the majority of the tech stuff with Yo-Yo's new arms was between Episode 13 and 14, when they'd have had about 13 days. Fitz is locked up in Episode 14 and they're operating to attach the arms in Episode 15, 2 days later - it must have been mostly done before Fitz was imprisoned. In Episode 14, they're getting desperate to close the rift, which is reopening after temporarily closing it in Episode 12, seemingly only days ago - so, the minimum, about 26, at least to me. But I guess you could stretch it further.

Episodes 14-18 and seemingly 19 are then consecutive though with no real opportunity for gaps, unless you assume it took Hale several days to get Coulson to her base between 14 and 15, which seems very unlikely - they're already flying there in Episode 14. And I haven't made my notes on Episode 19 yet (I usually rewatch the week before's episode and take my notes the day before the next episode airs), but maybe there's a possibility of a few days between 18 and 19. It seems to be straight after though, considering Hale has told Qovas in anger at S.H.I.E.L.D. that he can attack now, they're still worried about Talbot, and the team are arguing about Yo-Yo's actions.

The Spider-Man Homecoming 8 years later thing isn't really debated here anymore, but I thought I would add a clip right from director Joe Russo saying that 8 years later is incorrect.

https://youtu.be/HavGIsG84Wk?t=1m20s
That's been brought up a couple of times - at the time, I didn't think much of it personally. I'm not complaining about all the "Joe Russo Confirms Homecoming Timeline Is Incorrect" articles, but to me it didn't seem like a confirmation - it seemed like he was joking in a manner like, "Haha, yes, a "very incorrect "8 years later"", as we've heard all over the Internet." But obviously, Infinity War does reject it, so we're good. Spider-Man 2 or this mysterious "official timeline" could end up screwing things up again but for now... everything's good!

Thats a fair point, but was that AoU post credit scene set in Nidavellir? The way its presented in IW, Thanos came to Nidavellir, forced Eitri to create the Gauntlet under threat of genocide for his people, Eitri did so and Thanos took Gauntlet and killed the dwarves anyway. The AoU scene seemingly presents it as him breaking in somewhere to retrieve the Gauntlet from a vault... but I think this may be the fake Gauntlet (or one of the fake Gauntlets) that we saw in first Thor film. If we're to tie it all together, perhaps Odin had a replica to serve as a red herring for Thanos or any others pursuing the power of the stones, which is what Thanos takes in AoU post credit scene, finds its fake, and once Odin dies he learns of the actual Gauntlet having to be made in Nidavellir's forge (which makes sense since its same place Mjolnir and Stormbreaker were forged, as well as many unmentioned uber powerful cosmic weapons).

So you're probably right, though Thanos' plan to go after the stones, and direct actions in that purpose, occurred well before Odin's death too: the first Avengers film in 2012, first Guardians film two years later in 2014, etc. I do think there's credence to the idea Thanos may have been emboldened by Odin's death and destruction of Asgard (there's another interesting connection between Ragnarok and destruction of Asgard and a universe-wide Ragnarok in terms of Thanos's plan succeeding and wiping out half of all life that occurred as a direct result of Ragnarok and the Space Stone being taken from the safety of Asgard...).
Someone on the wiki had a theory I quite liked. They suggested that the Infinity Gauntlet had been a concept for a very long time, and that's why Odin had a fake one in his vault in 2010 (wiki timeline)/2011 (this timeline), but had never actually been forged because it was so dangerous. However, some time when Asgard was not around to help - either during Loki's time on the throne, or post-destruction, so between November 2013 and early 2018 - Thanos went to Nidavellir and forced Eitri to forge the gauntlet. Assuming that the Age of Ultron scene is the same gauntlet, he could be taking it from Nidavellir now that it's complete, or it could be that he had it forged some time soon after Thor: The Dark World and had it stored away, waiting for Ronan to deliver him the Power Stone. When he didn't, some time after, he decided, "Fine, I'll do it myself," and retrieved Eitri's specially-forged gauntlet from storage.

The scene is definitely after Guardians of the Galaxy and before Avengers: Infinity War though, somewhere between 2014 and early 2018. Either he decided he'd do it himself, but waited almost 4 years to actually act (potentially because the Ancient One and Odin are now gone and Earth and Asgard are more vulnerable - I like that theory), or he waited almost 4 years to get the gauntlet - or somewhere in the middle, in early-to-mid 2016.

Credits scenes don't have to be chronologically after the film or in order. Examples: The Iron Man 2 credits scene takes place a couple of days before the end of the film, the day after the Stark expo fights and the day before Tony and Fury have their meeting. The Ant-Man mid-credits scene with Wasp seemingly takes place before the epilogue scenes, soon after Hope and Scott's kiss scene. The Captain America: Civil War post-credits Spider-Man scene takes place before the mid-credits Wakanda scene. The 5th Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 credits scene, with Stan Lee, takes place before all the previous 4, especially the 4th scene, the Adolescent Groot one, which is years later. The Thor: Ragnarok post-credits Grandmaster scene takes place before the mid-credits scene with the Sanctuary II.

The Age of Ultron credits scene is basically up in the air. Markus and McFeely actually said recently that they weren't going to address that scene and that they weren't really sure what was supposed to be going on in the scene - it's clearly pretty disconnected.

Last edited:
The 1941 First Vengeance events are the scenes where Steve and Bucky find out about Pearl Harbour. The Winter Soldier flashback with Sarah's funeral is in October 1936 - Steve says in Civil War that he was "18" when she died ("I've been on my own since I was 18"), putting it in 1936-37, and one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. files like you said says October 1936. I haven't checked if it's one of those fan-mad ones or one of the official ones, though. The scenes shown from 1924 with her seemingly on death's door in First Vengeance are still placed in 1924, with it explicitly saying so. I guess she just didn't actually die. Then the September 1930 scenes with him meeting Bucky and saying his mother died... I guess 12-year-old Steve was just trying to get some pity from Bucky :/ . It's overruled by the Winter Soldier scene showing that when she died he was at least 18 and he already knew Bucky, and him saying in Civil War that he was 18.

By the logic of time running faster on Sakaar because of the Loki thing, where "weeks" on Sakaar = about 10 seconds outside of Sakaar, then the 3 days Thor spends on Sakaar would amount to about 1 second outside of Sakaar. But I don't think there's any correlation. The Grandmaster only says, "Time works real different around these parts," before implying that people can be younger on Sakaar than they would be outside (which would mean time runs slower on Sakaar, with, say for example, 2 days on Sakaar = 1 day outside). As well as this - of course, Asgardians age at about 1/100th the speed of humans after reaching adulthood, but even so - Valkyrie looks no different now than she did 1000+ years prior, suggesting that she has aged less than that, perhaps only a few centuries, which would be only a few human years.

So yeah, probably no correlation, time's just speeding up and slowing down all over the place. But it seems to me like once Thor lands on Sakaar, it's actually about the same on Sakaar and Asgard. About 3 days pass for both. Hela doesn't seem like she's been there long, only just discovering that the Bifrost sword is gone, only just finishing her first round-up of the Asgardians and going to find the remaining people who've gone missing and are in hiding. Being in sync would also make sense for the Thor and Heimdall scene where the two of them are in sync.

Okay thanks for the Civil War quote, I was just looking for why the placement was what it was.

Yeah, but we don't know that Loki or Thor went straight to Sakaar, only that they wound up there, so theoretically the time of them being separated could be much longer. So Loki's weeks, could amount to much more in regular time. Such as minutes, hours, who knows. We're running on little information. Plus I don't see how Valkyrie's age or appearance plays into it, as the Grandmaster states that he would look much older if not for Sakaar's time discrepancy. So wouldn't Valkyrie's lack of aging reinforce my point? Since she has been under the employ of the Grandmaster for so long? I'm genuinely curious, I promise I'm not being a jackass.

I would obviously have to watch it again, maybe I'll buy the bluray tomorrow. But between when she does her initial walk through of Asgard and wakes up her dead soldiers to when she asks Skurge to kill that woman, I feel like there has to have been time there. How else would Heimdall have gotten all those people out at one time without detection? I just feel like there's something fishy there.

Okay thanks for the Civil War quote, I was just looking for why the placement was what it was.

Yeah, but we don't know that Loki or Thor went straight to Sakaar, only that they wound up there, so theoretically the time of them being separated could be much longer. So Loki's weeks, could amount to much more in regular time. Such as minutes, hours, who knows. We're running on little information. Plus I don't see how Valkyrie's age or appearance plays into it, as the Grandmaster states that he would look much older if not for Sakaar's time discrepancy. So wouldn't Valkyrie's lack of aging reinforce my point? Since she has been under the employ of the Grandmaster for so long? I'm genuinely curious, I promise I'm not being a jackass.
It's alright, what I tried to explain is that your point is perhaps a bit muddled. There's two points being made here I think:

1) That more time could have passed on Asgard than on Sakaar. So, despite there seemingly being about 3 days passing for Thor on Sakaar, when he gets off the planet, a week or two or however long has passed for the rest of the universe. This is possible, because time runs "different" on Sakaar - although, I don't feel like it's likely to have been more than about 3 days personally.
2) That the reason that more time could have passed on Asgard is because when Thor arrives on Sakaar, it's been weeks for Loki. This, however, actually supports the other way around. If this were the rule of correlation, then time would pass much faster on Sakaar - if someone in Asgard had a live camera feed showing Sakaar, it would look like it's on fast-forward, and if someone on Sakaar had a live camera feed showing Asgard, it would look like it's in slow-motion. Weeks on Sakaar = mere seconds elsewhere. By that logic, with Thor spending 3 days on Sakaar, only about 1 second would have passed elsewhere. He'd be arriving on Asgard only just as Hela also arrived like a second after she threw him out of the Bifrost.

But, despite this, more time passing on Asgard is still possible. There is also evidence for time passing slower on Asgard, because the Grandmaster suggests that people can be younger on Sakaar than they should be. While he's being all Goldblum-y and not necessarily telling the truth about himself and his age when he trails off, the implication of the possibility is still there. And, as well as this, is what I was saying about Valkyrie. For her, it's perhaps been only a few hundred years, when outside of Sakaar, it's been over 1000 years. This would suggest that on Sakaar, time actually passes slower - the opposite of the Loki stuff. If someone watched Valkyrie on a live feed from Asgard for the last 1000+ years and the correlation was constant, it would have always look like she was moving in slow-motion at like 0.5x speed, but this is different to the Loki stuff, where he'd be moving in fast-forward at like 200,000x speed.

Basically, there's contradictory evidence, so the conclusion can be reached that there is no constant correlation between the time passing on Sakaar and the rest of the universe. It speeds up and slows down randomly, "Time works real different."

So, the amount of time that passes on Asgard could be less, the same, or more than the 3 days on Sakaar.

Basically, yes - your point is perfectly valid. It's possible more time passed on Asgard than Sakaar. But not because of the Loki Sakaar stuff, which actually suggests the opposite.

And, just personally, I'd say that it doesn't seem like Asgard has been more than a few days - that it seems once Thor lands on Sakaar that time is pretty much in sync with Asgard, with about 3 days passing for both, and that this would make sense as well for why he and Heimdall are in sync when Heimdall shows him what's happening on Asgard.

Hope I've clarified what I meant.

Last edited:
What if the discrepancies in the passage of time in Sakaar are because of time dilation, and whether time passes slower or quicker depends on their proximity to a wormhole (since the planet is surrounded by them)?

Personally, I don't think the gap's that big of a deal. I would just say that Ragnarok is Autumn/Fall 2017, and then Infinity War is some time in early 2018 - around March if it turns out that the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. reference cannot refer to the film, thus allowing it to be a bit more like springtime while not being too long after Ragnarok and also fitting with the Scotland time zone stuff, or around January-February if the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. reference does pan out. A few months seems pretty fine to me. Perhaps they're only a few days out from Earth and Loki's just airing his concerns again considering they're going to arrive soon. I guess they have food and water on-board, or have stopped off for resources.

Oh, I'm sure that it was intended as an Infinity War reference. It's just whether, in-universe, it can actually work as such.

I know the 4 weeks is only the minimum amount of time, but really, to me at least, it seems like merely days - that's why I was bringing up the minimum, because it feels to me like it should be as close as possible to about 4 days. At least 26 days have to pass between Episode 12 (2 days after Yo-Yo's arms were cut off) and Episode 14, and with Episode 13 falling somewhere in the middle and that being when they get the robotic arms, I assumed that the majority of the tech stuff with Yo-Yo's new arms was between Episode 13 and 14, when they'd have had about 13 days. Fitz is locked up in Episode 14 and they're operating to attach the arms in Episode 15, 2 days later - it must have been mostly done before Fitz was imprisoned. In Episode 14, they're getting desperate to close the rift, which is reopening after temporarily closing it in Episode 12, seemingly only days ago - so, the minimum, about 26, at least to me. But I guess you could stretch it further.

Episodes 14-18 and seemingly 19 are then consecutive though with no real opportunity for gaps, unless you assume it took Hale several days to get Coulson to her base between 14 and 15, which seems very unlikely - they're already flying there in Episode 14. And I haven't made my notes on Episode 19 yet (I usually rewatch the week before's episode and take my notes the day before the next episode airs), but maybe there's a possibility of a few days between 18 and 19. It seems to be straight after though, considering Hale has told Qovas in anger at S.H.I.E.L.D. that he can attack now, they're still worried about Talbot, and the team are arguing about Yo-Yo's actions.

That's been brought up a couple of times - at the time, I didn't think much of it personally. I'm not complaining about all the "Joe Russo Confirms Homecoming Timeline Is Incorrect" articles, but to me it didn't seem like a confirmation - it seemed like he was joking in a manner like, "Haha, yes, a "very incorrect "8 years later"", as we've heard all over the Internet." But obviously, Infinity War does reject it, so we're good. Spider-Man 2 or this mysterious "official timeline" could end up screwing things up again but for now... everything's good!

Someone on the wiki had a theory I quite liked. They suggested that the Infinity Gauntlet had been a concept for a very long time, and that's why Odin had a fake one in his vault in 2010 (wiki timeline)/2011 (this timeline), but had never actually been forged because it was so dangerous. However, some time when Asgard was not around to help - either during Loki's time on the throne, or post-destruction, so between November 2013 and early 2018 - Thanos went to Nidavellir and forced Eitri to forge the gauntlet. Assuming that the Age of Ultron scene is the same gauntlet, he could be taking it from Nidavellir now that it's complete, or it could be that he had it forged some time soon after Thor: The Dark World and had it stored away, waiting for Ronan to deliver him the Power Stone. When he didn't, some time after, he decided, "Fine, I'll do it myself," and retrieved Eitri's specially-forged gauntlet from storage.

The scene is definitely after Guardians of the Galaxy and before Avengers: Infinity War though, somewhere between 2014 and early 2018. Either he decided he'd do it himself, but waited almost 4 years to actually act (potentially because the Ancient One and Odin are now gone and Earth and Asgard are more vulnerable - I like that theory), or he waited almost 4 years to get the gauntlet - or somewhere in the middle, in early-to-mid 2016.

Credits scenes don't have to be chronologically after the film or in order. Examples: The Iron Man 2 credits scene takes place a couple of days before the end of the film, the day after the Stark expo fights and the day before Tony and Fury have their meeting. The Ant-Man mid-credits scene with Wasp seemingly takes place before the epilogue scenes, soon after Hope and Scott's kiss scene. The Captain America: Civil War post-credits Spider-Man scene takes place before the mid-credits Wakanda scene. The 5th Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 credits scene, with Stan Lee, takes place before all the previous 4, especially the 4th scene, the Adolescent Groot one, which is years later. The Thor: Ragnarok post-credits Grandmaster scene takes place before the mid-credits scene with the Sanctuary II.

The Age of Ultron credits scene is basically up in the air. Markus and McFeely actually said recently that they weren't going to address that scene and that they weren't really sure what was supposed to be going on in the scene - it's clearly pretty disconnected.

All really good points, and I like that theory too. Based on that info, there's really no need to move or place the AoU post credit scene long after the film. It can easily be placed right after the film, or anywhere in that four year span, so I'll leave it where it is.

Latest posts

Back