Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Will we be getting another Marvel One Shot focusing on Peggy Carter? Well, this article seems to imply it:

Peggy getting her own short?

"As Marvel officials acknowledged during last night's Iron Man 3 premiere, an action-packed short film surrounding Captain America's main squeeze Peggy Carter, played by actress Hayley Atwell, will apparently debut at San Diego Comic-Con this year."

Apparently she's also confirmed she'll appear in a flashback scene in Winter Soldier.

Wonder which BluRay this short will appear on? Obviously Winter Soldier seems the most likely, but it'd be strange to premiere the short film this summer and then not release it on disc until late next year (when Winter Soldier will likely come out on DVD/Bluray). It's entirely possible it'll end up being attached to the Iron Man 3 or Thor The Dark World Bluray instead, which will come out late this year (IM3) or Spring, 2014 (Thor TDW).

I'll update the timeline once it's been confirmed more concretely and a title has been released.

Last edited:
Some more MCU related news:

The following article apparently reveals how Agent Coulson survived Loki's attack in Avengers for his appearance in the upcoming show Agents of SHIELD.

Spoiler alert...if you don't want to know don't read:

Coulson Lives?

The rumor seems pretty unsurprising. It's what I and most others assumed given the whole mention of Coulson's Cap cards not being in his jacket, but his locker, by Maria Hill.

Yet this article mentions Maria Hill was in on it, which wouldn't really make sense given her question to Fury when no one else was around. If she knew, why ask? I could understand if she was doing it to sell the lie had any of the Avengers been privy to the conversation, but that was clearly not the case. And "holding his breath" to pull off the ruse? How long is Coulson able to hold his breath? Was he a Navy SEAL before joining SHIELD or something?

I don't know, it sounds kind of weak. It may be true, but I'm hoping the explanation we get in the pilot adds a bit more imagination.

Here a first try on the IM3 timeline, thanx to the Daily Times newspaper appearing in the movie!

Don't open the spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet, it's spoiling the whole thing, so be warned:

December 31, 1999 - January 1, 2000: Tony, Maya, Killian and Happy celebrates the New Year's Eve at Bern, Switzerland.

June 25, 2009: Project Extremis - Injections Tests Phase 01

December 18, 2012: First test of the Mark 42.

December 19, 2012: Killian talk about the Extremis to Pepper. Tony do nightmares about his Chitauri fight. Extremis attack, Happy is hurt.

December 20, 2012: Tony gives an ultimatum to the Mandarin. Tony's penthouse is destroyed. Tony flees but all think he is dead. Tony arrives in Tennessee.

December 21, 2012: Tony meets Harley (who gives him the Daily Times newspaper).

December 31, 2012: Tony discovers the Mandarin is an actor, that Maya works for Killian, the real boss of the Ten Rings. Killian injects Extremis in Pepper, and kill Maya. The Iron Patriot is stolen by AIM, and Air Force One is attacked. Iron Patriot kidnappes the President. Iron Man saves the people of Air Force One. Final Battle: Iron Legion vs Extremis soldiers. Rhodey gets back his Iron Patriot and free the President. Pepper kills Killian. Tony destroy all his Iron Legion to celebrate with Pepper the New Year's Eve.

January 1, 2013: A senator who worked for AIM is arrested. The Mandarin is arrested. Tony has a chirurgical operation made by the Dr. Chu to remove all the shrapnel and his ARC reactor.

January 2, 2013: Happy wakes up from his coma. Tony goes to his destroyed penthouse, throw his arc reactor in the sea and takes back Dum-E.

Last edited:
Here a first try on the IM3 timeline, thanx to the Daily Times newspaper appearing in the movie!

Don't open the spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet, it's spoiling the whole thing, so be warned:

December 31, 1999 - January 1, 2000: Tony, Maya, Killian and Happy celebrates the New Year's Eve at Bern, Switzerland.

June 25, 2009: Project Extremis - Injections Tests Phase 01

December 18, 2012: First test of the Mark 42.

December 19, 2012: Killian talk about the Extremis to Pepper. Tony do nightmares about his Chitauri fight. Extremis attack, Happy is hurt.

December 20, 2012: Tony gives an ultimatum to the Mandarin. Tony's penthouse is destroyed. Tony flees but all think he is dead. Tony arrives in Tennessee.

December 21, 2012: Tony meets Harley (who gives him the Daily Times newspaper).

December 31, 2012: Tony discovers the Mandarin is an actor, that Maya works for Killian, the real boss of the Ten Rings. Killian injects Extremis in Pepper, and kill Maya. The Iron Patriot is stolen by AIM, and Air Force One is attacked. Iron Patriot kidnappes the President. Iron Man saves the people of Air Force One. Final Battle: Iron Legion vs Extremis soldiers. Rhodey gets back his Iron Patriot and free the President. Pepper kills Killian. Tony destroy all his Iron Legion to celebrate with Pepper the New Year's Eve.

January 1, 2013: A senator who worked for AIM is arrested. The Mandarin is arrested. Tony has a chirurgical operation made by the Dr. Chu to remove all the shrapnel and his ARC reactor.

January 2, 2013: Happy wakes up from his coma. Tony goes to his destroyed penthouse, throw his arc reactor in the sea and takes back Dum-E.

Interesting. Might have to forgo the specific years in the timeline and adopt a Year 1, Year 2, etc approach since the specific dating of Iron Man 1 is 2008, and subsequent mentions of time passing in the MCu movies thus far only have Iron Man 3 taking place at the end of 2010, instead of 2012 like those dates show. Have you seen IM3 already Cap?

Interesting. Might have to forgo the specific years in the timeline and adopt a Year 1, Year 2, etc approach since the specific dating of Iron Man 1 is 2008, and subsequent mentions of time passing in the MCu movies thus far only have Iron Man 3 taking place at the end of 2010, instead of 2012 like those dates show. Have you seen IM3 already Cap?

Yup, I saw it yesterday.

But, I haven't got the time to check if there were dates on the TV News, it was too fast (better to do that later with a screen capture).

Maybe the newspaper is just another props with a wrong year... My hypothetis is that December 21th, 2012 is related to the maya date of the "end of the world" and Tony is presumed dead on this date. It must be a sort of joke saying that without Tony, the world will not stand.

2010 is of course the year to choose.. I don't think Tony do nightmares about his time during The Avengers after 2 years.

Yup, I saw it yesterday.

But, I haven't got the time to check if there were dates on the TV News, it was too fast (better to do that later with a screen capture).

Maybe the newspaper is just another props with a wrong year... My hypothetis is that December 21th, 2012 is related to the maya date of the "end of the world" and Tony is presumed dead on this date. It must be a sort of joke saying that without Tony, the world will not stand.

2010 is of course the year to choose.. I don't think Tony do nightmares about his time during The Avengers after 2 years.

Ah, ok, good point. I just finished up rewatching IM2 and mapping out the comic adaptation you scanned for me, so will post that up probably tomorrow.

I rewatched IM3 with another way than the theatre.. The final battle happens the December 24 in the french version (Tony say "Merry Christmas" to Pepper), so not the 31th as I wrote.

I will buy the new novels of IM/IM2/IM3, to see if there are some dates in them.
I have already the Incredible Hulk, Thor, Cap and Avengers one.

What do you think about the idea of The Amazing Spider-Man in the MCU?
I've seen some comments about the Oscorp building in the Avengers, in the cover of the IM3 lego game, the logo of Oscorp in the IM3 ipad/android game, and some dialogs about MCU characters in TASM game. Plus some fan rumors about the cranes in TASM that were here because of the battle of New York in the Avengers.

Last edited:
As much as i would love for Spider-Man to be in the MCU, and I do, I really do, based the points you have brought up, I find it unlikely.

The Oscorp building was going to be in avengers skyline, never referenced or focused, but didnt due to things not working out.
Lego games are far from being canon, in any respects.
Fan rumors are just rumors. There were rumors of a Spider-Man and Daredevil cameo in the Incredible Hulk. Heck there is still a long standing rumor of a suicide in Wizard of Oz.

Again as much as I want it, I don't think its gonna happen. But I will gladly eat my words if Marvel decides to prove me wrong...do it Marvel, do it!!!

Oh, I'm like you Mattimeo84, don't worry, I just wanted to see what's your opinion on it ^^

Have you some info about this comic? Is it MCU related?
It's released for the May 1st.

detail.jpg

First of all, thanks for this, it's awesome.

Secondly, I have 3 question:

1) Are the delete scenes of the movies canon?
2) Is the "The Avengers: Iron Man Mark VII" canon?
3) Which movies have officially released deleted scenes, and how many are there in each movie?

First of all, thanks for this, it's awesome.

Secondly, I have 3 question:

1) Are the delete scenes of the movies canon?
2) Is the "The Avengers: Iron Man Mark VII" canon?
3) Which movies have officially released deleted scenes, and how many are there in each movie?

1) No, but they can indicate or clear some informations.
2) It's not MCU Canon, but Inspired By Canon. There are 3 levels: MCU Canon (movies, one-shots, MCU approved comics), Inspired By Canon (other comics), Film Agnostic Canon (games, comics inspired from the games and toys).
3) All movies have deleted scenes on their dvd/blu-ray. How many, I don't know, more or less between 5 to 10 each. I know there are more deleted scenes on the Phase One Pack as they have released new deleted scenes of Iron Man 2 alternate ending on the net recently. You can find them all on youtube.

I see. So, the only canon material are the 7 movies, the 3 one-shots and the following comics:

Iron Man 2 - Public Identity (1-3)
Iron Man 2 - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (1-3)
Captain America - First Vengeance (1-4)
The Avengers - Prelude - Fury's Big Week (1-8)
The Avengers - Prelude - Black Widow Strikes (1-3)
Iron Man 3 - Prelude (1-2)

Did I miss anything?
Also, I assume Iron Man 3: Suits Of Armor is also canon, since it has information about the movie, right? Is there anything similar for the other movies?

Last edited:
You forgot:

Iron Man: I Am Iron Man (1-2)
Marvel's Iron Man 2 Adaptation (1-2)
Marvel's Thor Adaptation (1-2)

Iron Man 3: Suits of Armor is Inspired By Canon (there are some errors in, like for example the Mark 17 (Mk XVII) - Artillery Level RT Suit (Heartbreaker) which is titled Mark 12 (Mk XII)).
All the novels or other books (these sort of junior books, or even the Art books) are Inspired By Canon: they work on the MCU, but contain some errors or alternate things. They are like deleted scenes: in the universe, but not MCU Canon.

Iron Man: I Am Iron Man, Marvel's Iron Man 2 Adaptation and Marvel's Thor Adaptation could be Inspired By Canon, as they are adaptation of the movies and not 100% accurate, but the new added things (dialogs or new scenes) in them are completly MCU Canon.

Last edited:
Updated for the Iron Man 2 #1-2 comic adaptation (finally!). Thanks again Captain France!

Also, I changed some dates for the placements of Iron Man 2, Thor, and Incredible Hulk. We'd been dating it based on the date of the Grand Prix Historique race and going off that, but I did some research and found Tony Stark's birthday is apparently May 29, so I moved the dates up to correspond with his birthday party in IM2. While I do like using real world dates to reference, as we did with the Grand Prix race, I think Tony's birthday is a canon instance and would override something like the race date. Also, its important to remember that the MCU exists in a separate timeline from ours (obviously), so its logical to assume certain dates of events between that universe and reality may not align. Also, the actual Grand Prix Historique was held in May, 2010, but with the firm dating of Iron Man 1 ending in May, 2008, and Iron Man 2 picking up 6 months to a year later, I've placed it in May 2009. Granted, the 6 Months Later tag at the beginning of Iron Man 2 would seem to place the film around November or December, 2008, but Tony's birthday date firmly places it in May, 2009, and the extra six months I think can be explained as occurring in the opening credit sequence, after Vanko's father dies and him building his armor to take on Iron Man.

As for DBZGTKOSDH's questions, Captain France explained it perfectly. There are a number of MCU inspired comics out there, with the look and even the plots of the various films influencing the stories in those comics, but they're not officially canon. Now, the official MCU canon comics contain the "Marvel Cinematic Universe - Official Tie-In" stamp on the covers, for instance:

Marvel%27s_Iron_Man_3_Prelude_Vol_1_2.jpg

You can see the stamp on the bottom of the cover. The earlier MCU canon comics didn't have this, but the official canon comics (and what wasn't canon and merely inspired by the films) were cleared up by Will Corona Pilgrim, who I believe acts as a sort of overseer for the MCU comics.

Usually around the time the films come out, Marvel releases mini-series or one-shots which aren't canon to the MCU films, but are inspired by and draw the costume designs from them, likely as a way of selling more comics, as is the case with the IM: The Coming of the Melter comic you posted above, or the Iron Man vs. Whiplash series that came out around Iron Man 2's release.

But yeah, if its listed on the timeline, its official MCU canon, the rest is just inspired by or spin-off stuff that doesn't officially occur in the MCU timeline.

Last edited:
Usually around the time the films come out, Marvel releases mini-series or one-shots which aren't canon to the MCU films, but are inspired by and draw the costume designs from them, likely as a way of selling more comics, as is the case with the IM: The Coming of the Melter comic you posted above, or the Iron Man vs. Whiplash series that came out around Iron Man 2's release.

But yeah, if its listed on the timeline, its official MCU canon, the rest is just inspired by or spin-off stuff that doesn't officially occur in the MCU timeline.

Just to complete what you say ^^

Iron Man vs. Whiplash series is clearly on the 616 universe and is not related to any canon of the MCU.
Iron Man: The Coming of the Melter One-Shot is a part of the Inspired By Canon and could be placed during the beginning of The Avengers or during the IM3 Prequel.

Latest posts

Back