Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Hey DIrishB,

I've been lurking for a little while, finally created an account. Just wanted to say great work and keep it up! I eat this stuff up! I think you bring some sound logic to your timeline. It's a fresh breath of air from the mcu wikis timeline in my opinion. Thanks a bunch!

Hey DIrishB,

I've been lurking for a little while, finally created an account. Just wanted to say great work and keep it up! I eat this stuff up! I think you bring some sound logic to your timeline. It's a fresh breath of air from the mcu wikis timeline in my opinion. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks, man!

On tonight's episode of AoS, Mack mentioned Coulson, Fitz, and Robbie's disappearance and possible reappearance "in five years", indicating the events of the Bauers finding the Darkhold book and likely also occurred five years before (which still aligns with the mention of "several years" in previous episode).

Tonight's episode also showed a date of 26th on Daisy's phone, but no month (the sort of date seen on iphone home screen's calendar icon, but without the day of week even like those show). We could assume its November but I'd rather not make assumptions without hard evidence to support it.

I'm also giving DE23111's suggestion serious thought. I still don't think Iron Man 3 occurs after AoS's Pilot or Thor-TDW and Winter Soldier, but I do think it may be best to ignore the date shown on the video feed in Winter Soldier and have AoS Season 1 stretch out longer.

Only problem is it causes problems with the "all winter" line made by Coulson regarding Talbot chasing them, especially since we know AoS Season 2 likely has to begin in 2014.

Last edited:
For Slingshot: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot is set in the world of the hit television series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Taking place shortly before the beginning of Season 4, this digital series features the character of Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez (Natalia Cordova-Buckley), an Inhuman with the ability to move with super-speed. As a person with powers, she must sign the recently instituted Sokovia Accords, the worldwide agreement that regulates and tracks those with super powers. However, the restrictions of the Accords are in direct conflict with a personal mission she's desperate to fulfill, a mission that will test her abilities, her allegiances, and will include some tense encounters with our most popular S.H.I.E.L.D. team members.

For Slingshot: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot is set in the world of the hit television series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Taking place shortly before the beginning of Season 4, this digital series features the character of Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez (Natalia Cordova-Buckley), an Inhuman with the ability to move with super-speed. As a person with powers, she must sign the recently instituted Sokovia Accords, the worldwide agreement that regulates and tracks those with super powers. However, the restrictions of the Accords are in direct conflict with a personal mission she's desperate to fulfill, a mission that will test her abilities, her allegiances, and will include some tense encounters with our most popular S.H.I.E.L.D. team members.

Cool, looks like it'll be a 6 part web series starting December 13 (probably running weekly during the winter break of the show). I'll get that added.

Also, Yo-Yo mentioned on tonight's episode that Mack hadn't called her "Elena" (her first name) in past 3 months... wondering if that's a reference to the beginning of the season being 3 months ago?

Nice! I've been hoping they'd do a webseries for awhile now. Plus I can still get my weekly MCU fix--I'd forgotten this was the winter finale; I was a little sad. :D

TC

Also, Yo-Yo mentioned on tonight's episode that Mack hadn't called her "Elena" (her first name) in past 3 months... wondering if that's a reference to the beginning of the season being 3 months ago?

Did Mack call her Elena in the season opener? I don't recall.

You placed the season opener in October, right? So, for the sake of argument, let's say Oct 1. Three months later is Jan 1 2017. So this latest episode could end just shortly before the next one airs in January. I guess we'll have to see if there's an obvious timejump with the start of the LMD storyline so that we can place this latest episode accurately. I can't imagine there would be any timejump. I can't imagine Director Mace going longer than 24 hours before wondering why Agent Nathanson is missing. It's all wait and see though.

Last edited:

I don't remember either. I believe that's what she was referring to as I remember her mentioning he was only referring to her as "Yo-Yo" earlier in season, so I'm presuming this episode's reference was to mean the beginning of season.

You placed the season opener in October, right?

Yeah, six months after end of Season 3 (which had cross over elements with Civil War set in April). Presumably 3 months have passed over first 8 episodes of Season 4? So that would likely mean from early October to late December, though we're faced with same problem as previous seasons: the episodes follow one after the other (or very soon after the previous) and each only last a day or two themselves...

I think we can place a small break between 4x03 "Uprising" and 4x04 "Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire" since Daisy shows up shot after a fight with Watchdogs at beginning of 4x04 that we don't see on screen, so that means at least a small time jump between 4x03 and 4x04 happened (unless I'm misremembering). I could place a month gap there to push the later episodes to December.

That'll allow it to be close to 3 months if we assume it's end of December (early October to mid or late December for a total of 2 and a half to almost 3 months).

So, for the sake of argument, let's say Oct 1. Three months later is Jan 1 2017. So this latest episode could end just shortly before the next one airs in January.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

I guess we'll have to see if there's an obvious timejump with the start of the LMD storyline so that we can place this latest episode accurately. I can't imagine there would be any timejump. I can't imagine Director Mace going longer than 24 hours before wondering why Agent Nathanson is missing. It's all wait and see though.

Very good point. I also have to go back and double check if there's a break point or spot to transition from November to December between 4x04 and 4x08.

I guess we could assume there's a break between 4x07 and 4x08, but it would likely be only a few days at most given the mentions of the previous episode happening closely before.

Eh, AoS! You guys do this every year!

I don't remember either. I believe that's what she was referring to as I remember her mentioning he was only referring to her as "Yo-Yo" earlier in season, so I'm presuming this episode's reference was to mean the beginning of season.

In 4x01 Mack calls her Yo-Yo and tries to act all business, while Yo-Yo talks about "that one date" they'd been on. So presumably there was a date at some point (and presumably Mack called her by her first name then) before the season's start, but after that Mack backed off. Meaning the "three months" line seems to reference something that happened between seasons, so no huge help there. All it really tells us is that the time between 4x01 and 4x08 is not more than three months.

Last edited:
In 4x01 Mack calls her Yo-Yo and tries to act all business, while Yo-Yo talks about "that one date" they'd been on. So presumably there was a date at some point (and presumably Mack called her by her first name then) before the season's start, but after that Mack backed off. Meaning the "three months" line seems to reference something that happened between seasons, so no huge help there. All it really tells us is that the time between 4x01 and 4x08 is not more than three months.

That's what I thought (regarding his use of YoYo/Elena name). Thanks for clearing that up.

Irish, I'm back, but I come in peace hahah. I just finished SHIELD season 1. Found another prop that seems to place the later half in 2014. It's from the episode "Nothing Personal" after May digs up Coulson's grave. She gets in a car with a Virginia license plate. Both the inspection sticker and the vehicle registration are set to expire in December of 2015. Now in Virginia you are able to choose whether or not you would like to renew your registration for one OR two years. Now I'm from Virginia, but for those who aren't here's a tidbit from the Virginia DMV site

"Once you complete your registration, you will be given a Virginia registration card, which must be kept in your vehicle at all times, and Virginia license plates. You will need to renew your vehicle registration either every year or every 2 years, depending on which option you choose."

I do however have no explanation for the Virginia inspection sticker, which are supposed to be renewed every year...

So, either the car was renewed in December of 2014, which I think we all agree there is no way, or in December of 2013, which means that date has passed and these episodes take place in 2014.

Just thought I would put this here for everyone to think about. Thanks guys.

http://i.imgur.com/wAgzERi.jpg

Last edited:
Irish, I'm back, but I come in peace hahah. I just finished SHIELD season 1. Found another prop that seems to place the later half in 2014. It's from the episode "Nothing Personal" after May digs up Coulson's grave. She gets in a car with a Virginia license plate. Both the inspection sticker and the vehicle registration are set to expire in December of 2015. Now in Virginia you are able to choose whether or not you would like to renew your registration for one OR two years. Now I'm from Virginia, but for those who aren't here's a tidbit from the Virginia DMV site

"Once you complete your registration, you will be given a Virginia registration card, which must be kept in your vehicle at all times, and Virginia license plates. You will need to renew your vehicle registration either every year or every 2 years, depending on which option you choose."

I do however have no explanation for the Virginia inspection sticker, which are supposed to be renewed every year...

So, either the car was renewed in December of 2014, which I think we all agree there is no way, or in December of 2013, which means that date has passed and these episodes take place in 2014.

Just thought I would put this here for everyone to think about. Thanks guys.

http://i.imgur.com/wAgzERi.jpg

Yeah, like I said a bit earlier, I am giving your suggestions for Agents of SHIELD Season 1 consideration. I will go back and rewatch the episodes with the films, in order, then onto Seasons 2-3 and a rewatch of Season 4 to cover all bases, with the corresponding films placed between.

Iron Man 3 though has to occur before AoS Season 1. That was whole premise of the Deathlok storyline that popped up throughout season 1. But I do think ignoring Winter Soldier camera date in favor of the date seen on the sign out sheet in Thor - The Dark World has validity.

The big problem is the "all winter" comment in AoS 2x01.

But we've been over that all ad nauseam already. I'm going to rewatch and see best approach to take.

I think it's very possible the vehicle had a brand new registration. It may be best to run Season 1 from September to December, 2013 and override the Winter Soldier date with the sign out date in Thor-TDW, leaving a several month break and then Season 2 picks up in Spring, 2014 (to account for the "All winter" comment regarding how long Talbot had been chasing them). I just need to rewatch Season 2 to pattern time passage better and dialogue mentioning specific events that happened a certain number of days/weeks/months ago.

Spider-Man sequel scheduled July 5, 2019:

http://deadline.com/2016/12/spider-man-homecoming-2-bad-boys-4-1201867983/

I don't know how official that is, but there's the link regardless.

It's official. 2 years after release of first movie, July 4th weekend (Thurs night, July 4 - Sunday, July 7). That'll be a huge opening most likely, and Sony/Marvel Studios want to take advantage of that. No doubt they were pleased with the footage of rough cuts of Homecoming they saw, and are following the Marvel formula of solo sequels every two years.

That said, I REALLY want them to do a Kraven and Mysterio villain combo in sequel. Kraven doesn't require extensive origin/backstory, nor does Mysterio ("mystery" is in his name!), so it wouldn't be bogged down with exposition of the villains that when handled poorly destroys pacing and fun of the films. That should be accomplished through smart use of dialogue, including during fight scenes. You could even make Kraven not just a hunter, but a hunter of superhumans and Inhumans (simple montage of Peter looking guy up on Internet would do) to tie into the larger meta story of the world fearing Inhumans due to their appearance (they are the mutants of the MCU anyway).

And, of course, Peter calls in the help of Doctor Strange. That alone (their first meeting) would be hilarious. Spidey peering into the Sanctum's glass panel, the cape of levitation flying out to apprehend Spidey, a quick and funny action sequence between them, the caps getting webbed, Spidey getting trapped by the cape and brought to meet Strange who was in astral projection form doing something or other.

Strange ridicules Spidey a bit, but good naturedly, and while he offers some advice on Magic, illusion, and how to beat Mysterio, doesn't directly intervene (though he does keep a watchful eye on Spidey from the Sanctum, just in case).

And so on. They're seemingly setting Strange up to be a sort of Tony Stark in some capacity. Bring it on.

Yeah, like I said a bit earlier, I am giving your suggestions for Agents of SHIELD Season 1 consideration. I will go back and rewatch the episodes with the films, in order, then onto Seasons 2-3 and a rewatch of Season 4 to cover all bases, with the corresponding films placed between.

Iron Man 3 though has to occur before AoS Season 1. That was whole premise of the Deathlok storyline that popped up throughout season 1. But I do think ignoring Winter Soldier camera date in favor of the date seen on the sign out sheet in Thor - The Dark World has validity.

The big problem is the "all winter" comment in AoS 2x01.

But we've been over that all ad nauseam already. I'm going to rewatch and see best approach to take.

I think it's very possible the vehicle had a brand new registration. It may be best to run Season 1 from September to December, 2013 and override the Winter Soldier date with the sign out date in Thor-TDW, leaving a several month break and then Season 2 picks up in Spring, 2014 (to account for the "All winter" comment regarding how long Talbot had been chasing them). I just need to rewatch Season 2 to pattern time passage better and dialogue mentioning specific events that happened a certain number of days/weeks/months ago

I just started season 2, if I notice anything that stands out, I'll let you guys know. I did notice two more Virginia license plates in "Shadows." One of them had a registration that expires in "Oct 2016" and the other was "Nov 2016." Which would mean that the earliest those tags could have changed would have been October And November of 2014. And they were full screen shots, so I didn't have to look too hard. I can upload pictures later if need be.

Last edited:
Updated for the Slingshot webisodes.

Seems to indicate that the first 8 episodes of Season 4 occur over a couple month period, with Coulson and Mack leaving about a month before. I have to go back and rewatch 4x01 but I thought they'd been gone from base a month or 6 weeks or so... though maybe no specifics are mentioned.

Presumably that places most of Slingshot around September, with AoS running from Oct (4x01-4x03) to November (4x04-4x08) and Slingshot's present day bookend portions likely set in December.

Last edited:
Judging from the trailer, Spider-Man Homecoming is supposed to take place not long after Civil War since Tony is letting Peter keep the suit. Plus, Peter is supposed to be in 10th grade in Homecoming, and he's 15 during Civil War. So would have to be the same year.

Last edited:
Judging from the trailer, Spider-Man Homecoming is supposed to take place not long after Civil War since Tony is letting Peter keep the suit. Plus, Peter is supposed to be in 10th grade in Homecoming, and he's 15 during Civil War. So would have to be the same year.

Yeah. The only reason I dated it as 2017 on timeline is due to release year and the Homecoming Dance (invitation, I guess?) an extra posted online. It had date of September, 2017. That very well may not even be visible in the film itself, but if it is that'll create a continuity problem since Civil War is firmly set in its release year of 2016 (due to the dialogue placing events of first Iron Man eight years previous). We'll have to wait and see. It's possible Peter's birthday is before April so we met him as a 15 year old, and he's still 15 in late 2016--if that's when this film is meant to be set--the Homecoming date of September 2017 could be another oversight in terms of forcing a real world release year that doesn't align with the universe's internal chronology/passage of time. That also MAY be entirely intentional on Marvel Studios and the producers' prop makers, to use dates that are somewhat close to the release date (usually it's within a few months, or even aligns a month before/after or same month as release, and those dates come from props, etc). We know the prop dates don't create problems in most cases, but sometimes they do. I always try to use dialogue referring to passage of time over props (props showing dates) and will only use prop dates if dialogue doesn't override it. But then again sometimes even dialogue must be taken a bit inventively to make it work, like ending of Agent Carter 2x08 I think referring to it getting cold soon (indicating fall or winter coming) when it directly dated itself on props as occurring in July, 1947 and Summer based on dialogue and horse race they went to being the Summer somethingorother. The episodes all run one after the other except for a 1-2 day break between 2x03 and 2x04, and the episodes run until late July (Season 2 runs from July 10-27, 1947), yet by late July they're talking about it getting cold again? Maybe that's in reference to leaving the hot and sweltering LA and going back to New York? A bit of an in joke? These are the types of rationalizations that have to be made with some of the dialogue, and sometimes prop dates just don't fit the given timeline (IM3's prop newspaper dates) or whose original placements is retconned (as Iron Man 2's was by the Fury's Big Week comic, moving it from early 2009 to 2011, a year before Avengers and overlapping a bit with Incredible Hulk and Thor).

Hey DIrishB's, I glanced at you timeline (maybe I overlooked it) but I didn't see the StarkExpo promo videos listed like this one...

[video=youtube_share;IkucjK1fDmc]https://youtu.be/IkucjK1fDmc[/video]

Hey DIrishB's, I glanced at you timeline (maybe I overlooked it) but I didn't see the StarkExpo promo videos listed like this one...

[video=youtube_share;IkucjK1fDmc]https://youtu.be/IkucjK1fDmc[/video]

That's because the Stark Expo videos (if I recall correctly) have a few things that make them non canon, specifically I think they date themselves as 2010. I may be misremembering. I need to rewatch them all again.

Maybe I can add them and just ignore any references that place them otherwise?

This looks like all of them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/5cs17x/inuniverse_stark_expo_videos/

Basically the one labeled Stark Expo 2010 is only one that makes it difficult specifically due to the title referring to 2010, while the IM2 film was retconned to 2011 by Fury's Big Week.

Maybe we can assume that was a video from the year before?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back