Ultimate Spider-Man #97 discussion (spoilers)

I agree with Goodwill. Instead of getting an Ultimate Scorpion character we get a "Peter Parker Clone" character. What kind've stories are we gonna get with Scorpion now when we see him? A bumbling Parker that gets the snot beat of him all the time? An "evil" Peter Parker story? An "I just want to find my place in the world: A clone's story"? Cmon' this was the biggest waste of an ultimization yet. One of the most sought after Spidey characters and it was wasted for a shock moment.

Now they have to bring in another Scorpion and explain that it's someone else in a suit with similar powers or who found the suit or was offered to take up the mantle. Which are the same old stories and a cheap way to make up for it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I agree with Goodwill. Instead of getting an Ultimate Scorpion character we get a "Peter Parker Clone" character. What kind've stories are we gonna get with Scorpion now when we see him? A bumbling Parker that gets the snot beat of him all the time? An "evil" Peter Parker story? An "I just want to find my place in the world: A clone's story"? Cmon' this was the biggest waste of an ultimization yet. One of the most sought after Spidey characters and it was wasted for a shock moment.

Now they have to bring in another Scorpion and explain that it's someone else in a suit with similar powers or who found the suit or was offered to take up the mantle. Which are the same old stories and a cheap way to make up for it.

They don't need another Scorpian; Spidey has plenty of rogues besides Mac Gargan that Bendis can use.

ultimatedjf said:
They don't need another Scorpian; Spidey has plenty of rogues besides Mac Gargan that Bendis can use.

Wha?! I don't even know how to read that statement. It looks like you're saying "Forget Ultimate Scorpion, Bendis can ultimize other characters." Which I guess would sort've be the point. Scorpion's character's been killed. Suck it up, move on.

On another related note--the Letters Page was hilarious. Especially that last one (which I swear was written by E). :lol:

Q: "How can Spider-Man and Deadpool make expressions with their masks' eyes?"
A: Deadpool, as we learned, could morph his image; Spidey's mask....well, you'd have to ask Peter how that works....

Victor Von Doom said:
On another related note--the Letters Page was hilarious. Especially that last one (which I swear was written by E). :lol:

A: Deadpool, as we learned, could morph his image; Spidey's mask....well, you'd have to ask Peter how that works....

Ha!! Even they realize it's stupid!

Victor Von Doom said:
It was you....wasn't it??? Don't lie......the truth will set you free.

Seriously, I wish.

Again, it's an artistic touch. If Spider-Man looked confused, unimpressed, surprised, scared, etc. and you just saw a close up panel of his face with his mask on, you'd have no clue what he was feeling. Mask movement just helps the storytelling become clearer, and, once again, for the people who think it's stupid because "masks aren't supposed to do that," remember, this is a comic book; anything can happen.

Victor Von Doom said:

Letters page. Hmm...

I liked Ultimate Scorpion, and I enjoyed this issue. The only problem was the quality of some of the art, which was really distracting.

Ice said:
Letters page. Hmm...

I was amused by his answer to "Where the hell was Iceman?". It was pretty lame since the only explanation they can give that he was always off-panel and did not want to have anything to do with Spidey. At least we knew that he was there.

At least Bendis kind of admitted that they screwed up with Rogue. I think his answer was 'maybe she came from a tree' or something. The same unsure answer he gave with the Spidey mask squinting.

Last edited:
ultimatedjf said:
Again, it's an artistic touch. If Spider-Man looked confused, unimpressed, surprised, scared, etc. and you just saw a close up panel of his face with his mask on, you'd have no clue what he was feeling. Mask movement just helps the storytelling become clearer, and, once again, for the people who think it's stupid because "masks aren't supposed to do that," remember, this is a comic book; anything can happen.

You will never convince me that it's OK to do that.

It's a mask. You can't convey emotion from behind a mask.

It's stupid.

E said:
I'm gonna draw spidey-sense into this again. When Spidey gets all tingly, we see those little "lightning bolts" around his head even though they're not actually there. They're just there for the reader. Same thing.

E said:
You will never convince me that it's OK to do that.

It's stupid.
You know I can picture you screaming that at Bagley and then tackling him when his says it's just a comic book.

vintsukka said:
I'm gonna draw spidey-sense into this again. When Spidey gets all tingly, we see those little "lightning bolts" around his head even though they're not actually there. They're just there for the reader. Same thing.

Again, those lines do not alter his appearance in any way shape or form. Those are no different then adding WHOOOSH lines.

Apples and oranges.

vintsukka said:
That brings up an interesting point. Maybe were the only ones who are suposed to see the squinting of the mask, everyone in comicland sees just an unchanging mask.

I'm now thinking that's what Bagley would say if you *****ed at him about it.

MaxwellSmart said:
That brings up an interesting point. Maybe were the only ones who are suposed to see the squinting of the mask, everyone in comicland sees just an unchanging mask.

I'm now thinking that's what Bagley would say if you *****ed at him about it.
Bagley isn't even the first nor the only one who does it.

And if he isn't conveying emotions through his mask, how else would he do it? Have a straight face and say something, looking like he got botox in terms that he can't move his face? It's different in the movies and cartoons seeing how you can HEAR them. You can't hear them talking in comics. And if you do.....boy do you need some help. Badly.

Ice said:
And if he isn't conveying emotions through his mask, how else would he do it? Have a straight face and say something, looking like he got botox in terms that he can't move his face? It's different in the movies and cartoons seeing how you can HEAR them.

So?

And if it's such a problem for him, he shouldn't wear a mask.

ultimatedjf said:

I think thoughtless ultimizations are what is burying the UU... At least in my opinion. We're being introduced to a time-travelling Cable, Deadpool wasn't funny in the least bit, and most of the characters that were ultimized in the beginning aren't much different from their 616 counterparts. Noticing this trend, and the amount of compelling characters left in Spider-Man's rogue gallery, do think it's wise to just toss Scorion to the side as Peter's clone so that we can just reintroduce another 616 character? I WANT THOUGHTFUL CHANGE, dammit. WITHOUT COMPROMISING CHARACTERS, EITHER.

Back