The Weird News thread

weird.jpg

Pastor: We ate children's hearts

Monrovia - An evangelical pastor described the atrocities he and his men committed during the Liberian civil war, including magical rituals that involved slaughtering children and eating their hearts.

Joshua Milton Blahyi spared no details on Tuesday as he told Liberia's Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) of his years with one of the most feared militias of the war.

Dressed in an immaculate suit, Blahyi, 37, said it was for the TRC to decide whether he should be given an amnesty or prosecuted.

"I am willing to go to court if necessary," he said. "And I will repeat just what I said here." The tale he told was a horrifying one.

In the days of Liberia's first civil war (1989-1997), he had led fighters from the feared ULIMO - the United Liberation Movement of Liberia for Democracy - that backed the then president Samuel Doe.

Magical powers

It was Doe's 1990 assassination that sparked the orgy of violence that engulfed the country for most of that decade.

During the civil war Blahyi, known as "General Butt Naked", said he led a group of young soldiers who fought naked while under the influence of drugs. They were notorious for their cruelty and use of magic rituals.

A member of the Krahn ethnic group, Blayhi told how he had been initiated into a secret society at the age of 11 and became a traditional priest. His task became to protect all members of his ethnic group.

At the time, he said, he had magical powers that made him invisible.

"Having a special power, I was always a distance ahead of the rest of the fighters when we were going to the front. I used to capture a town first and then I call the rest of the group to clean up," he said.

'Jesus appeared to me'

Before an audience of some 300 people at the hearing, he recalled the atrocities he committed to maintain his magical powers.

"Any time we captured a town, I had to make a human sacrifice. They bring to me a living child that I slaughter and take the heart off to eat it."

He did not know how many people they killed, he said. "But for what I did, it is not less than twenty thousands," he added, breaking down in tears.

The hall, which earlier had rung to shouts of outrage at his account, fell silent. The turning point for him came in 1996, he said.

"A lady offered me her child for my sacrifice. After cutting up the child I divided the heart among my boys and myself.

"The blood of the child was still on my hand when Jesus appeared to me and asked me to stop being a slave."

It was this experience, he said, that prompted his religious conversion and his life since then, travelling the country preaching his version of the Christian message.

Blayhi had come to the TRC hearings of his own initiative. "I was told that TRC can recommend amnesty or prosecution," he said. But he said he was ready to face trial if need be.

Yeah, I remember reading about this a while back when he had originally turned himself in. General Butt Naked...what a great name. I laugh when people say times were worse 100 years ago and then you read something like this.

In Toronto yesterday a married couple were leaving a mall in a non-horrible area of town and some crazy guy just ran up and stabbed them to death for no reason.:(

They originally thought he was robbing the woman and the man was just a good samaritan that had tried to save her but died doing so and the papers all had stuff like "Hero Dies In Vain" for headlines.

The murderer stabbed himself soon afterwards, but they got him and have him in critical condition in the hospital. If he makes it they can find out what the **** was going on, but the rumour is he was on parole for a similar crime when he did this.

****ing liberals.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, because the exact same stuff didn't happen a hundred years ago in addition to far more widespread racism, sexism, homophobia, and poverty in the free 1st world. Things aren't great today, but they're not worse than they were in 1908.

The world is, statistically, a far less horrible place than it ever has been in history. The simple fact is that far less people are dying of disease and violence. The biggest difference is that violence and disease are far more specified to ethnic and social classes, and we're far more connected to it all through the media, creating the illusion that things are far worse than they really are.

That doesn't mean the world still isn't a bad place, there's still a lot that can be done to help impede the terrible things that happen in the world, not to mention our decaying intellectual values.

[/MOONMASTER COURT-ORDERED SERIOUS POST]

Last edited:
The world is, statistically, a far less horrible place than it ever has been in history. The simple fact is that far less people are dying of disease and violence. The biggest difference is that violence and disease are far more specified to ethnic and social classes, and we're far more connected to it all through the media, creating the illusion that things are far worse than they really are.

That doesn't mean the world still isn't a bad place, there's still a lot that can be done to help impede the terrible things that happen in the world, not to mention our decaying intellectual values.

[/MOONMASTER COURT-ORDERED SERIOUS POST]

I'll give you the statistics argument but anyone, depending on what focus group you decide to trust, can make up statistics and tell you what you want to hear. And yes statistically, disease has gone down, but then you get **** like this and this(i can get more examples if necessary about this "little" flouride situation which basically just makes us more accepting to the world around us) and it kinda makes you wonder how great this world really is.

This "illusion" that things are far worse than they really are can actually run both ways. The media tells you what ever the **** they want you to hear and you accept it. You see a headline on a paper or an update on a CNN news ticker and all of a sudden the world isn't so bad. Again I can only attribute our society's decaying intellect to pharmaceuticals and flouride being dumped into our water supply and the dumbing down of our education system.

I guess the point of things being worse now than it used to be or (vice versa)really isn't the issue, although to each his own :) ; Really, I would just for once love to see this actually addressed by one of the three potential candidates and have it not turn into something about the US preparing to invade Iran for no damn reason when it hasn't even done a single thing to win in Iraq and Afghanistan. I use the term win loosely.

And don't ask me to sum up those posted articles if you're too apathetic to read them yourselves. They're important, read them.

:shock:

:sure:

Bit of Toronto humour there. I'm far from right-wing, but the lefties in Canada make you want to go on a killing spree sometimes.

Anyway, this is some of the saddest news I've heard in a while. http://www.tooshocking.com/view-4761-Guy_Kills_Wife_During_TV_Installation

The most surprising is the cop at 0:29 - "he didn't realize she was out there, so...". It wasn't his fault because he didn't check to see if anybody was infront of his gun before he shot it?!

Then again I'm sure in the real context he wasn't actually defending him.

Crazy *** piece of news I stumbled upon today:

Cappuccino Coast: The day the Pacific was whipped up into an ocean of froth

It was as if someone had poured tons of coffee and milk into the ocean, then switched on a giant blender.

Suddenly the shoreline north of Sydney were transformed into the Cappuccino Coast.

Foam swallowed an entire beach and half the nearby buildings, including the local lifeguards' centre, in a freak display of nature at Yamba in New South Wales.

One minute a group of teenage surfers were waiting to catch a wave, the next they were swallowed up in a giant bubble bath. The foam was so light that they could puff it out of their hands and watch it float away. . .

FoamBeachII2_800x513.jpg

FoamBeachII1_468x721.jpg

FoamBeachII3_800x450.jpg

Looks pretty fun, right? Well,

Scientists explain that the foam is created by impurities in the ocean, such as salts, chemicals, dead plants, decomposed fish and excretions from seaweed.

I still wanna jump in it.

Latest posts

Back