The All-About Video Games thread

Video Game Ethics Question:

While "turtling" is definitely frowned upon and hated by all, is it wrong if your fighting style is described as "defensive"? Could that be considered "turtling"?

Reason for question---we have all taken to having long Tekken bouts here. These sessions last for hours (after duty of course). Now I grew up with a different set of rules for fighting games:

• You don't overuse your "juggles". If you juggle more than once and your juggle is more than say 5 hits...you're just cheap.
  • If someone is in the corner, you let them out.
  • You never keep some trapped on the ground.
  • You don't turtle. Once you do turtle, you forfeit any rights to an honorable fight.

Now our boss is a very straight forward kinda guy. And he plays the same way he fights in real life....he just comes at you. It's just a barrage of attacks. If he wins, then he's quick to gloat (no real problem with that)....but if he loses he is quick to give an excuse like, "I wasn't even trying to win towards the end...I just wanted to get this one combo/move in..." or "I can't fight from the right side, so I couldn't do this one move". I normally ignore his excuses....but in order to not hear them, I have changed my fighting style to mtach/appease him.

I don't turtle, but I play defensively...normally throwing out an attack that I know I'll miss, baiting you to attack...but once you do, I'll quickly counter with either a counter grab or power attack. I like to back up and get a lil space in my matches. He calls it "turtling".....just blocking all day and then grabbing.

When he's down, I let him get up. When he's in the corner, I'll back up and allow him to situate himself. I don't juggle. I might hit you with a power attack and follow it up with 2 smaller hits...but after that, I back off. So now he's taken my kindness for weakness. I mean I could just go all out and hit him with the same attack over and over again and easily get a win. But where's the honor in that? What fun is it then?

Now I know I'm not wrong for playing the way I play, but am I in fact turtling?

What say you all?

It kinda sounds like turtling BUT (and my brother is the better person to ask) you are giving him the benefit of the doubt to get back up and recollect himself. Which is more than I can say than most *******s who turtle on GGPO. It's one thing to play defensive and then go on the counter attack and then there's turtle which is staying back and always having your opponent come to you with no bait and switch routine to compliment.

Video Game Ethics Question:

While "turtling" is definitely frowned upon and hated by all, is it wrong if your fighting style is described as "defensive"? Could that be considered "turtling"?

Reason for question---we have all taken to having long Tekken bouts here. These sessions last for hours (after duty of course). Now I grew up with a different set of rules for fighting games:

• You don't overuse your "juggles". If you juggle more than once and your juggle is more than say 5 hits...you're just cheap.
  • If someone is in the corner, you let them out.
  • You never keep some trapped on the ground.
  • You don't turtle. Once you do turtle, you forfeit any rights to an honorable fight.

Now our boss is a very straight forward kinda guy. And he plays the same way he fights in real life....he just comes at you. It's just a barrage of attacks. If he wins, then he's quick to gloat (no real problem with that)....but if he loses he is quick to give an excuse like, "I wasn't even trying to win towards the end...I just wanted to get this one combo/move in..." or "I can't fight from the right side, so I couldn't do this one move". I normally ignore his excuses....but in order to not hear them, I have changed my fighting style to mtach/appease him.

I don't turtle, but I play defensively...normally throwing out an attack that I know I'll miss, baiting you to attack...but once you do, I'll quickly counter with either a counter grab or power attack. I like to back up and get a lil space in my matches. He calls it "turtling".....just blocking all day and then grabbing.

When he's down, I let him get up. When he's in the corner, I'll back up and allow him to situate himself. I don't juggle. I might hit you with a power attack and follow it up with 2 smaller hits...but after that, I back off. So now he's taken my kindness for weakness. I mean I could just go all out and hit him with the same attack over and over again and easily get a win. But where's the honor in that? What fun is it then?

Now I know I'm not wrong for playing the way I play, but am I in fact turtling?

What say you all?

From the sound of it I'd say you weren't "turtling" but rather just using "keep-away" tactics, which is mainly used to keep poking at your enemy defensively until you get that one hit to link up a longer combo. Turtling is when you just sit back and charge your move/blocking and wait for the other player to come to you. Most turtling characters have anti- air moves (Sim, Vega, Bison, etc.) and try to catch you jumping in, then go back to crouching and charging their moves and not brave enough to go in for actual combos.

On another note, I think your 4 rules are ok if your fighting someone that hasn't really played the game too often. Other than that the rules shouldnt apply.

- I say if you are good enough to get your opponent and link up an air juggle then by all means take advantage of the juggle.(juggles are somewhat hard to pull off depending on character)
- If someone is in the corner, then you should "corner whore" them until they find a way to get out.
- And if someone is unfortunate enough to fall on the ground, then you stomp their brains in (not that you can get more than 1-2 hits anyway)
Apply these rules because if you just baby them for the sake of good sportsmanship, then they will never get better. If you don't agree that's cool too. BUT...
- ... If someone "turtles", apply my rules as needed

Kasumin- "This is how I Kara-Dash"-----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9enVYBdac

HA! is that what you were talking about the other day?

Dude you should check out Alex Valle take on the Worlds greatest Seth, Online Tony. It's SFIV but it was a pretty intense battle.

[video=youtube;Ua4ARmhV7ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua4ARmhV7ws[/video]

Last edited:
I don't even know what "turtling" is.

Oh God, I am so old.

HA! is that what you were talking about the other day?

Dude you should check out Alex Valle take on the Worlds greatest Seth, Online Tony. It's SFIV but it was a pretty intense battle.

[video=youtube;Ua4ARmhV7ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua4ARmhV7ws[/video]

Keep away Seth gets no props. Only same 3 combos during all those matches.
-Wake up super FTL-

That was a horrible battle.

Seth seems to be Dhalsim.

seth is a combo of most street fighter characters. off my dome, he has zangief's spinning piledriver, dhalsim's stretch attacks, guile's sonic boom, bison's teleport, what looks to be Urien's shoulder rush and a modified shoryuken(?).

I just like, in the beginning, when that idiot announcer says, " it's such a pleasure to watch!" and the other announcer says, "really? he's such a broken character." plus, you know. Alex Valle.

You play like a little girl, a real man charges in guns-a-blazin'.

But seriously, I don't count it unless you're being really cheap with it, and since you're forfeiting juggles and whatnot I don't consider it turtling.

^ my philosophy for Star Wars Battlefront.

That is how I always play. Even if I lose, I lose by going all out.

You are all crazy men. Only a fool charges in with no plan other than "attack, attack, attack and hope that the enemy fails". Shock and awe doesn't work against someone who has a plan.

You come at me with a barrage of attacks and I'm gonna block 'em and hit you with a counter-flip. Every time. It'll make you re-think your "plan".

One of my favorite plans with these guys is to get Asuka....and play defensively. And then when they see that "guns a charging" ain't working and are trying to figure out their next move----I HIT 'EM WITH A BARRAGE OF HIGH LOW COMBOS THAT LEAVE 'EM LAID OUT ON THE FLOOR!

It kinda sounds like turtling BUT (and my brother is the better person to ask) you are giving him the benefit of the doubt to get back up and recollect himself. Which is more than I can say than most *******s who turtle on GGPO. It's one thing to play defensive and then go on the counter attack and then there's turtle which is staying back and always having your opponent come to you with no bait and switch routine to compliment.

Ok...then I am definitely not turtling.

What a relief to my conscience.

I don't even know what "turtling" is.

Oh God, I am so old.

You are old. I bet you hate when people are on your lawn? Do you have dinner at 3pm too?

You are old. I bet you hate when people are on your lawn? Do you have dinner at 3pm too?

I have to put my meat on at six in the morning so by six in the evening I can drink it for my dinner.

You are all crazy men. Only a fool charges in with no plan other than "attack, attack, attack and hope that the enemy fails". Shock and awe doesn't work against someone who has a plan.

You come at me with a barrage of attacks and I'm gonna block 'em and hit you with a counter-flip. Every time. It'll make you re-think your "plan".
Nope. I just fight. Like I said, if I lose- I lose.

I enjoy defensive play myself, especially for games like Halo and COD. People don't know anything in those games except charging at you with a shotgun.

It's been awhile since I've played fighting games, but I tend to let the other person make a move, then attack them.

I think the thing that irks me the most about their comments when we play is that in order to keep from hearing their whines, I've actually changed my fighting style to match their "barrage" style. And I still win! But as soon as I win, they always have some excuse as to why they lost. Here's a typical convo after they lose a match---

Army: That's bull****!
Me: Why?
Army: Dude...you picked Bob!
Me: So?
Army: That's just so unrealistic! There's no way that fat bastard can move like that!
Me: You know you're the one who just picked Baek? The guy who can kick 15 times before one foot even lands on the ground again.
Army: But its taekwondo...that's his style! Bob is just bull****.
Me: Excuses...excuses...you want a rematch?
Army: No. I wanna pick someone else.

My fighting style actually changes with each character I use. I can't use Feng on the defensive, so I play offensive. Miguel can be both so it just depends on how I feel. I'm always on the offensive when using Bruce or Law. Their biggest gripe is when I use Asuka or Heihachi. Heaven forbid I use characters I'm actually really good with.

Storm Troopers don't have a plan. They're stupid.

Latest posts

Back