Im confused... How does Character Design work?

Major__comics

Hope this is not a stupid question.

Hey, I'm working on my first comic but I'm a writer not an artist. I'm in the process of looking for an artist but right now I'm wondering

How do I work with an artist on designing my character? Should I create a character board or something? Any tips?

Hi there. Artist and long dormant member here. As someone who's done a fair bit of character design in her life, I can give a few pointers.

First thing is to find an artist whose style fits what you have in mind, as well as someone capable of working in the comic's content range. You don't want to grab someone who can't draw mechs if you're working on a Gundam style story.

Secondly and most importantly; be clear with your ideas. It may seem pedantic, but being overly descriptive is helpful for the artist to see what your vision is. Character mood boards and references are fantastic for sharing your ideas.

Lastly, revisioning is your friend. Ideas may not work the first time, every time, so don't be upset/worried when you need to clarify ideas more, or even radically change ideas.

Good luck on your creative journey and I hope your comic does great.

Latest posts

Back