DC Elseworlds Timelines

Sometimes they screw up these things, there's not much we can do.

Haven't seen the movie yet but I know the ending.
I guess Arthur Fleck isn't the Joker, or at least, he's the "Clown" Joker taken out by the "Psychopath" (Comedian) Joker. How interesting... but ultimately pointless since this continuity is over now. I think it's cool though I understand why people wouldn't like it. This was never the Joker really, it was just a broken guy who was taken advantage of.

Sometimes they screw up these things, there's not much we can do.

Haven't seen the movie yet but I know the ending.
I guess Arthur Fleck isn't the Joker, or at least, he's the "Clown" Joker taken out by the "Psychopath" (Comedian) Joker. How interesting... but ultimately pointless since this continuity is over now. I think it's cool though I understand why people wouldn't like it. This was never the Joker really, it was just a broken guy who was taken advantage of.
yea honestly i think a lot of people are taking the "new joker" at the end of the film way too literally as an attempted connection to tdk, but personally i think it just goes to show that arthur was never going to be the clown prince of crime but continue to inspire others (i took this from the ending of the first film as well) while also showing how some fanatical followers will eventually get fed up with their idols not living up to their perceived potential

Given that I didn't like the first movie, I think I am going to watch the second one just because of the ending.

Given that I didn't like the first movie, I think I am going to watch the second one just because of the ending.
Or maybe not, after reading Wikipedia's synopsis I think it is the same stupid cynical bullshit as all of the media I hate like the first movie.
Just for context: I only knew that Joker was stabbed to death and the movie ended there, I didn't know about anything else.

Last edited:
yea honestly i think a lot of people are taking the "new joker" at the end of the film way too literally as an attempted connection to tdk, but personally i think it just goes to show that arthur was never going to be the clown prince of crime but continue to inspire others (i took this from the ending of the first film as well) while also showing how some fanatical followers will eventually get fed up with their idols not living up to their perceived potential
That's just some stupid people, I think most can figure that obviously Thomas and Martha die completely differently. The Joker in this universe, in my opinion, is suggested to be Arthur's killer.

It's a fucking Elseworlds movie and social media peoples are treating Joker 2 as an excuse to promote Transformers One or some other flavor-of-the-minute trend.

I did not care much for the original at all. Probably will never see sequel. Reading reactions to it fascinates me though. They feel similar to those of the movie Glass years after Unbreakable.

Many fans wanted M. Night to a full on superhero sequel. But I long suspected he was interested in playing around with certain superhero ideas but never doing an actual superhero. I was right. I do not think anyone on the original Joker movie cared much about the comics. They wanted to take the broad strokes and create their own character and story. Anyone expecting this sequel to do a traditional Joker and Harley story were not paying attention the first time.

I have read suggestions this was an original idea rebranded as Joker. I do not buy that. This what happened when outsiders are told "make a Joker movie" with a blank check to do whatever they want.

Last edited:
I did not care much for the original at all. Probably will never see sequel. Reading reactions to it fascinates me though. They feel similar to those of the movie Glass years after and Unbreakable.

Many fans wanted M. Night to a full on superhero sequel. But I long suspected he was interested in playing around with certain superhero ideas but never doing an actual superhero. I was right. I do not think anyone on the original Joker movie cared much about the comics. They wanted to take the broad strokes and create their own character and story. Anyone expecting this sequel to do a traditional Joker and Harley story were not paying attention the first time.

I have read suggestions this was an original idea rebranded as Joker. I do not buy that. This what happened when outsiders are told "make a Joker movie" with a blank check to do whatever they want.
This is what I call "avant garde". I agree with a lot of your points, expecting a traditional Joker origin or anything resembling a pre-superhero DC Universe are looking for non-existent patterns and blame the film for not living up to said false expectations.

Exactly. I did not follow the marketing too closely. But definitely saw the trailers and posters. Really confused by complaints that the movie did not live up to what was promised. A Joker and Harley crime romp? Seriously?? A specific film critic and box office analyst made that complaint. The reality seems consistent with first movie. Most baffling is surprise it's a musical…
The most advertised addition is Lady Gaga!

Jokes on the audience not paying attention. pun intended

Maybe it's because I knew about the twist from the start, but I really liked Joker: Folie à Deux. Arthur's character made sense, it was a meta commentary about people's expectations about Arthur, how he was never really the person everyone wanted him to be, the musical moments were pretty good, and the court room drama was genuinely interesting to me. I do agree that it did feel quite nihilistic near the end, no one should be denying that Arthur getting raped by the Arkham prison guards is... definitely a choice..., but overall, yeah. Good film.

I would have changed a few things about the ending, but I don't really have a huge problem with it like everyone else. Ironically, I think if these movies WERE connected to something else, say, Matt Reeves' Bat-Verse (THIS IS NOT TRUE), people wouldn't be feeling like it was pointless. I get it... this Joker variant is someone we grew attached to as THE Joker, and now we learn that the real Joker is some random guy we're not gonna see again, which essentially makes the viewer feel like they've been lied to. Just because we were never going to see him face Batman doesn't mean that in our heads we didn't picture that, and now we know that the Joker has barely any screentime in two movies about supposedly the Joker.

It sucks... but, even still, it was an entertaining film and it at least made me feel something from it. I don't hate this movie. I respect you if you do, but I feel like the film knows you hate it and that's the whole point. "You wouldn't get it", and that's because the audience looking for the Joker in this film are the same people who want that in the movie's universe. It's meta. It's about how Arthur is a poor, damaged man and you want to see it become "entertainment".

Joker's Gotham is in New York, Matt Reeve's Bat-Verse's in New Jersey.
Thomas and Martha Wayne are too old in Joker to be the Bat-Verse ones, plus that was in 1981 - about 20-something years before they would die in the Bat-Verse.

Lastly, Carmine didn't hire some goon to dress up as a clown and pretend to be in the crowd to kill Thomas and Martha. That destroys the "anti-rich" message of the first film if you were to connect those together; but the Joker version of Joe Chill was simply just a pissed off poor guy that saw an opportunity for revenge.

Thomas and Martha Wayne are too old in Joker to be the Bat-Verse ones, plus that was in 1981 - about 20-something years before they would die in the Bat-Verse.

Lastly, Carmine didn't hire some goon to dress up as a clown and pretend to be in the crowd to kill Thomas and Martha. That destroys the "anti-rich" message of the first film if you were to connect those together; but the Joker version of Joe Chill was simply just a pissed off poor guy that saw an opportunity for revenge.

But Jokers Gotham uses the No Man's Land layout for the city

You are absolutely correct of course, I was just throwing it out there to elaborate on how I feel people see these films as pointless. They're not, in my personal opinion. I really like them. I saw them back-to-back actually.

What about the location of Metropolis?

Gotham City, like other cities in the DC Universe, has varied in its portrayals over the decades, but the city's location is traditionally depicted as being in the state of New Jersey. In Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March 1977), writer Mark Gruenwald discusses the history of the Justice League and indicates that Gotham City is located in New Jersey.

In The World's Greatest Super Heroes(August 13, 1978) comic strip, a map is shown placing Gotham City in New Jersey and Metropolis in Delaware. World's Finest Comics #259 (November 1979) also confirms that Gotham is in New Jersey. The New Adventures of Superboy #22 (October 1981) and the 1990 Atlas of the DC Universe both show maps of Gotham City in New Jersey and Metropolis in the state of Delaware.

Detective Comics #503 (June 1983) includes several references suggesting Gotham City is in New Jersey. A location on the Jersey Shore is described as "20 miles north of Gotham". Within the same issue, Robin and Batgirl drive from a "secret New Jersey airfield" to Gotham City and then drive on the "Hudson County Highway", a reference to the real-life Hudson County in New Jersey.

Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #1 (June 1993) further establishes that Gotham City is in New Jersey. Sal E. Jordan's driver's license in the comic shows his address as "72 Faxcol Dr Gotham City, NJ 12345", although the ZIP Code is actually in Schenectady, New York.

Gotham City is the home of Batman, just as Metropolis is home to Superman, and the two heroes often work together in both cities. In comic book depictions, the exact distance between Gotham and Metropolis has varied over the years, with the cities usually being within driving distance of each other. The two cities are sometimes portrayed as twin cities on opposite sides of the Delaware Bay, with Gotham in New Jersey and Metropolis in Delaware. The Atlas of the DC Universe from the 1990s places Metropolis in Delaware and Gotham City in New Jersey.

New York has also garnered the nickname Metropolis to describe the city in the daytime in popular culture, contrasting with Gotham, sometimes used to describe New York City at night. During the Bronze Age of Comic Books, the Metro-Narrows Bridge was depicted as the main route connecting the twin cities of Metropolis and Gotham City. It has been described as being the longest suspension bridge in the world.

A map appeared in The New Adventures of Superboy #22 (October 1981), that showed Smallville within driving distance of both Metropolis and Gotham City; Smallville was relocated to Kansas in post-Crisis continuity. A map of the United States in The Secret Files & Origins Guide to the DC Universe 2000 #1 (March 2000) depicts Metropolis and Gotham City as being somewhere in the Tri-state Area alongside Blüdhaven.

so unless someone noticed any specific dates on documents in the episode we can place all sofias flashbacks in early-mid 2012, as im guessing the ten year sentence ending in november 2022 began after the six month evaluation period

what im really wondering now is if they accounted for the 3 year difference when thinking of selinas backstory in relation to carmine; did her mother still die in 2004 or was it now 2007? i also dont think her mother was one of the seven women killed by carmine

Latest posts

Back