I say we just have Hulk get all "feely" like he was in Ultimates so Cap will come out smelling like roses either way.

I'm kinda of just glance over this debate has anyone mentioned Ultimate Nightmare yet? Where Ultimate Cap reflects on the bravery and sacrifice of the soviets during WWII and how deeply disturbed over their creation of monsters? What a dick.

Can't believe I forgot that, but as the debate was about Millar's stuff (The Ultimates in particular, and people hating it because of Cap), I'm not sure he would have seen it as relevant.

Man, do I love me some Ultimate Nightmare, though.

Wow. Been a while.

The Thor trailer and Comic-Con stuff has made me all school-boy giddy.

What Whedon needs to do with his movie is make it a combination of 616 Classic Avengers and Ultimates, somewhat like the Ultimate Avemgers animated shlop. And the the first "villain" should be Hulk any way you look at it - because he was the first "threat" the Avengers took on (even though he was manipulated by Loki) as well as the first "threat" The Ultimates fought - That's the history of the Avengers. This is already set up in The Incredible Hulk when Stark comes to Thunderbolt and tells him he has "a solution for his Hulk problem," and slaps the Avengers Initiative folder on the bar. IMO the first act of the movie should be the assembling of the Avengers & the recovery of Cap climaxed with them fighting the Hulk at the beginning of the second act. The 2d half of the third act leading to the one big fight climatic third act needs to be something you want this team together for.

Now the villains we logically have:

1.) Loki should be in it. He is the cause of the Avengers fighting the Hulk to begin with.
2.) Red Skull would be a nice tie-in to the Cap movie.
3.) I can see a Crimson Dynamo - being Ivan Venko, keeping himself alive in much the same way as Tony did, from the wounds he received in IM2. Come on, nobody really dies in comic books!
4.) The Leader. He did come to being in the Incredible Hulk.
5.) Which means we could see the return of The Abomination.
6.) The Nine Rings Gang from IM. They could be a good "Terrorist" threat that involves SHIELD, perhaps backing the primary villain(s). Could have a tie to Red Skull, but the obvious reference is to . . .
7.) . . . The Mandarin. Would love to see The Mandarin. Don't wanna wait for IM3.

Looks like a nasty Masters of Evil to me. And, of course, we would have to have Black Widow turning traitor.

8.) They totally make something new up.
9.) Or just use Skrulls.

I want Carol Danvers!

NO. Please keep the cosmic crap out of this. Ugh.

That cosmic crap has been the only good thing about Marvel in years.

That doesn't mean it's a good fit for an Avengers film.

Although, I think it's crazy that Marvel doesn't seem to be marketing their space-faring books into other mediums. Starting with Annihilation, their cosmic stuff is just begging to be made into a space opera film series. I really think it could be the next best thing since Star Wars.

Although, I think it's crazy that Marvel doesn't seem to be marketing their space-faring books into other mediums. Starting with Annihilation, their cosmic stuff is just begging to be made into a space opera film series. I really think it could be the next best thing since Star Wars.

I still think it'd make a really good TV series, each event being a season, Annihilation, Conquest, Secret Invasion (adapted right it would fit right in), War of Kings, Realm of Kings, Thanos Imperitave. Think BSG with flying energy battles straight out of DBZ, give it an animated style like Sky Captain or Beowulf which'd help cut down costs. With the right push, cast and production team it could be like the greatest thing ever.

Anyway I'd be all for Thanos being the big bad in The Avengers movie, he'd be an appropriate sized threat for all the hype this movies going to entail, or even save him for a possible Avengers 2 or 3. Basing it off Infinity Gauntlet, with Loki filling Mephisto's roll and so forth.

Agreed
I think that's what they're doing with the infinity gauntlet, have it be displayed in Asgard or Shield and have the start of a Marvel Cosmic movie begin with it being taken. So they can tie in the cosmic early on. That may not be the case but still a cool idea

Last edited:
That cosmic crap has been the only good thing about Marvel in years.

So, so wrong.

Exactly.

The problem with comic movies is that some people just have no idea how to adapt comic ideas for mass (read: non-comic-reading) audiences. 99% of Marvel's cosmic stuff is completely unfit for non-comic audience-oriented film.

Although I do think Zombiepanda is on to something with the space opera thing. It would take a lot of care and de-comicifying to make it work but there are elements there.

I don't see how any of the cosmic stuff in Marvel is any different in terms of complexity, scope, or ideas as STAR WARS. It can be absolutely fine.

I would love to see a campy syfy show of Rocket Raccoon (cg) and his crazy misadventures. Also Nova and that talking dog.

I would like to see it too, but I don't think many non-comic reading people would.

It was just Samuel L. Jackson saying stuff.

Stuff about the Justice League if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Back