Wizard announces Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira on Ultimates 3

Lynx said:
Again, go tell that to the people at Millarworld. You think I'm bad? They're in a damn frenzy over there. Besides, you're missing the whole point that Mad's art, which we've SEEN, is so far different to Hitch's that it doesn't even compare. When a series goes from a realistic tone to manga-style superheroes. . .it's just not good.

Seriously Lynx, were not at Millarworld, so stop going on about that. And you said it yourself, Mad's art, which we've SEEN, is so far different to Hitch's that it doesn't even compare. So why are you trying to compare it? And if a series goes from realistic to manga-esque, it doesn't mean its not good. Its changing. Not all changing is bad. As I said, you've got to wait and see until it comes out before you can seriously bash this.

Personally I think that Hitch's art is the perfect personification of the Ultimate Universe. It's closer to real life and more mature that I think that's where Ultimate Art should be at. Honorable mention to Land too.

If Mad's art's mangaesque, well that's just not good for the title. I'm not comparing I'm telling you guys straight up I don't like "manga" looking crap and I don't know why Marvel would jerk us around as much as to involve it into the Ultimate Universe.... people go on and on about what "looks" and what "is" Ultimate but this kind of art, I can confidently say, is definitely not.

GMaster said:
Seriously Lynx, were not at Millarworld, so stop going on about that. And you said it yourself, Mad's art, which we've SEEN, is so far different to Hitch's that it doesn't even compare. So why are you trying to compare it? And if a series goes from realistic to manga-esque, it doesn't mean its not good. Its changing. Not all changing is bad. As I said, you've got to wait and see until it comes out before you can seriously bash this.

A change from hyper-realism to manga style IS bad, in my opinion. The book loses it's tone. Just because YOUR OPINION disagrees with mine doesn't make mine any less valid. And visa versa. I'm glad you're looking foward to this book. But I have my own opinions, and I am seeing from both interviews and previews of Mad's art, that this is the wrong direction for this book.

I compare them because Hitch set a tone for the series that Mad from what he has already STATED, has no intention of following.

Read Wizard, and tell me what you think, GM. . .

Hmph, I've got no real trouble with Mad's artwork I think it could be an interesting contrast to what we're used to. Its Loeb's writing that I'm going to remain leary off until I begin reading it, just because he's hit or miss with me in terms of story. For instance, while I really dug things like The Long Halloween, I just couldn't get interested in Hush. It was well written and had some clever bits, but overall it just didn't captivate me. Still, I think he's far from the worst choice for the book, just not my first.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Would you prefer someone who's simply trying to copy Hitch's style? Marvel made the right move, IMO. Maybe the choices are debatable, but I'm a lot more happy now that I would have been if they simply chose poor imitations of Millar and Hitch. Let's face it, the only way to successfully continue this series without Hittlars input, is by hiring a team so radically different, they could never be compared to Hittlar in the first place.

Exactly.

I have no problem with Joe Mad. I like his art a lot. The only problem I have with Joe Mad is that around the turn of the century, he was doing Battle Chasers, his "labour of love" and then just dumped it uncerimoniously after 9 issues. And after #5 he couldn't even do the whole issue any more and had to have Adam Warren do a back-up stand alone story for the other half of the issue. I just hope we don't get to #7 of Ultimates 3 and Joe Mad goes, "Sorry guys. I have to masturbate. A LOT. I can't finish the series. Toodles." and after 7 issues spread over 4 years, we get the remaining issues done by some other guy. Ultimate Secret is bad enough.

My real problem is Jeph Loeb simply because I think he's a terrible writer who's best works are mediocre. Maybe U3 will rock. I'll decide to pick it up closer to the time. For me, the deciding factor is, "Can I put up with Loeb?". It's like New Avengers #14 and 15. I love Frank Cho. I can't stand Bendis. Do I get the issues? I dunno yet. I'll decide then.

Until then, I've taken a page from Alan Moore and decided, "If I'm going to react, I may as well over-react." I'm not too wound up to be honest. I'm just playing to the audience. :D

the other half

do we know who is coloring the book and lettering?, no matter how good or bad Mad can draw, its all up to the color person to make it stand out. ex. hes going to be the one that decided the shade of 'black' fury is going to be :wink: , right now we got a pretty good one. do we know if hes being kept or being replaced?

The Maduiera Art in this month's Wizard of the Ultimates didn't bother me.

In fact, I'm excited for the Art. At least the pictures will be pretty, even if the story sucks.

Loeb also says he's got Hulk plans...

Don't know if anyone posted this, but, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised...

MadWidow1.jpg

MadUlts1.jpg

MadCap1.jpg

MadHulk1.jpg

That big cap reminds me of Kubert quite a bit... :p

I take back EVERY complaint I had. I apologize to GM, Fuzzy Birds and Ice. Joe's Ultimates are the EXACT type of change the book need. His art is now an edgier manga style AND HE DIDN'T PUT WINGS ON CAP'S HEAD!!! As long as Mad doesn't put the viking helmet on Thor's head, I will be BEYOND happy. Even Loeb's ideas for each character are very solid (Although the info is slim). There's actually a kind of spoiler from Ultimates 2 in it. I'm happy.

Loeb confirms that Hawkeye has gone the way of dodo, and he has no intention of bringing him back. And Hulk is comming BACK! And Loeb still plans to have him eat people! WOOOOOOO!

It'll be sad to see Millar and Hitch go, BUT ON WITH ULTIMATES 3!! :D

slimjim said:
His hulk looks the best!! :)

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm looking forward to this a lot now (not that I wasn't before, but even more so now). I thought Mad's art would be much more cartoony/anime a la Battle Chasers, etc, than its actually appearing. Its almost as if he's combining his older style with a more realistic influence. I think this will work out well, at least art wise. Now if Loeb can write as well as Mad is rendering the characters, then Volume 3 should live up to the first two volumes. This was definitly a good move art-wise.

marvelman said:
Don't know if anyone posted this, but, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised...

MadWidow1.jpg

MadUlts1.jpg

MadCap1.jpg

MadHulk1.jpg

That big cap reminds me of Kubert quite a bit... :p

So wait a minute, does Mad's renderings of Wasp, Black Widow and Cap mean they can't be the traitor's either, if they're going to be appearing in Volume 3? And does this mean the Hulk will be playing a part in Volume 3? I mean its possible they won't and Mad was just sketching his version of them, but seriously, an Ultimates/Avengers without Cap? I just don't see it. Iron Man it is then!!

DIrishB said:
So wait a minute, does Mad's renderings of Black Widow and Cap mean they can't be the traitor's either, if they're going to be appearing in Volume 3? I mean its possible they won't and Mad was just sketching his version of them, but seriously, an Ultimates/Avengers without Cap? I just don't see it. Iron Man it is then!!
Actually, though the page is not shown, all will be appearing in volume 3, it seems. Loeb has a plan of all of them.

Latest posts

Back