Wizard announces Jeph Loeb and Joe Madureira on Ultimates 3

I can't be bothered reading through 8 pages of crap so...

His art looks like Chris Bacholo's.

*leaves*

Bass said:
pict001715ct.jpg

This is my favorite, cuz you look like you need a hug.

hehehehe.

Bass said:

I like this one the best, it looks like he's constipated to the point of excessive pain, and that's always funny.

ProjectX2 said:
I can't be bothered reading through 8 pages of crap so...

His art looks like Chris Bacholo's.

*leaves*

I was thinking the same thing, does look a lot like Bachalo's, just a little more cleaner and more defined.

I am going to give mad/loeb a shot on this my best goes to them I hope. :? I shall buy ultimates vol 3 because i am an ultimates junkie!!!

going back through my collection i noticed that only superman book i have is by loeb. and his writing isn't that bad......

Lynx said:
Ditto. What I don't get is WHY Marvel Editorial (Specifically Joey Q) is ALLOWING the book to essentially be 616 Avengers. Not Ultimate Avengers (Which would be cool), but freaking 616!? We had FIVE HUNDRED ISSUES of them. Why do we need more!?
Ok, hold up. So what, you've spoken to Joe Q. and he's told you that this is going to be 616 Avengers with a different name? Oh no! For a start, don't complain about 616 Avengers. It was one of the best title's Marvel produced. It sold a lot. So they could obviously bring that factor across into the Ultimate Universe. It would sell, because they have seen it sell in the past.

Not Ultimate Avengers (Which would be cool), but freaking 616!?
So Ultimate Avengers? In your eyes, this is obviously something completely different than 616 Avengers, is it not? Because that's how you made it sound. Do you know what Ultimate Avengers would be like? Sorry, you don't know? Oh, your post seemed to state that you obviously knew, since you compared Ultimate Avengers to 616 Avengers. So you know that Ultimate Avengers would be cool? Even though you don't know what it would be like, nor ahs it been made. Oh sorry, I just thought you knew it all, thats what you said in your post, after all. Hmmm.
What I don't get is WHY Marvel Editorial (Specifically Joey Q) is ALLOWING the book to essentially be 616 Avengers.
Have you read the storyline to this comic, or seen the artwork for it? No again? Oh, I see. So you don't know that this will be Ultimate Avengers? Just because Joe Mad has said that he wants to be closer to the original Avengers costumes? Holy cow! That must mean Loeb is going to take the scripts from the 616 Avengers series and just write his name at the top of them, because Joe Mad said he wanted to make the costumes more like the originals.

We had FIVE HUNDRED ISSUES of them. Why do we need more!?
This is nothing to do with The Ultimates. Go take this up in The New Avengers forum, considering, well, your referring to 500 issues of The Avengers. Oh, sorry, I forgot, all of a sudden The Ultimates is now 616 Avengers. Must be something to do with House of M...

GMaster said:
Ok, hold up. So what, you've spoken to Joe Q. and he's told you that this is going to be 616 Avengers with a different name? Oh no! For a start, don't complain about 616 Avengers. It was one of the best title's Marvel produced. It sold a lot. So they could obviously bring that factor across into the Ultimate Universe. It would sell, because they have seen it sell in the past.

So Ultimate Avengers? In your eyes, this is obviously something completely different than 616 Avengers, is it not? Because that's how you made it sound. Do you know what Ultimate Avengers would be like? Sorry, you don't know? Oh, your post seemed to state that you obviously knew, since you compared Ultimate Avengers to 616 Avengers. So you know that Ultimate Avengers would be cool? Even though you don't know what it would be like, nor ahs it been made. Oh sorry, I just thought you knew it all, thats what you said in your post, after all. Hmmm.

Have you read the storyline to this comic, or seen the artwork for it? No again? Oh, I see. So you don't know that this will be Ultimate Avengers? Just because Joe Mad has said that he wants to be closer to the original Avengers costumes? Holy cow! That must mean Loeb is going to take the scripts from the 616 Avengers series and just write his name at the top of them, because Joe Mad said he wanted to make the costumes more like the originals.

This is nothing to do with The Ultimates. Go take this up in The New Avengers forum, considering, well, your referring to 500 issues of The Avengers. Oh, sorry, I forgot, all of a sudden The Ultimates is now 616 Avengers. Must be something to do with House of M...

Wow, look at GMaster getting all up in people's faces. He must've eaten his ***-Kickin'-O's this morning. You aren't being sent a check directly from Marvel by any chance are you?

All kidding aside, I can relate to both sides of the debate. A lot of people are apprehensive about Loeb/Mad taking over the book, as they would be with any new creative team coming onto an already successful title. I think the big departure from Millar's writing and Hitch's hyper-realistic artwork is what's worrying people the most...despite the fact that these are the same people who agreed that the new team shouldn't come onto the title and try to "ape" (I think thats how Millar put it) Hitlar's style. So the powers that be at Marvel decided to go in a relatively different direction by choosing Loeb, who may or may not do a decent job of writing this, as from what I hear his work is notoriously hit or miss. And they went way off by choosing Mad's artistic style, which is VERY different than Hitch's. These two things alone aren't necessarily bad, we'll have to wait and see once the book hits sometime next year.

And don't forget, this is supposed to a completely different universe, so by bringing in more aspects of 616 I think could be a bad thing, especially if Mad plans on making their costumes more like the 616 versions. This alone won't ruin the book, but it'll be one of those nagging little things that'll bother me if its overdone. While I like the idea of the Ultimate Avengers, I don't like the idea of that becoming a pale imitation of the 616 Avengers. I guess the crux of the third volume will fall on Loeb's writing/plotting for this book. He has some big shoes to fill, regardless of whether or not he's going to go in a new direction. And honestly, from what we've seen of his work, he's probably not going to be playing up the political intrigue/satire angle as Millar does, which to me is one of the biggest and strongest parts of the Ultimates. Assuming it follows the lines of his previous work, it'll be more character driven, and probably more like the 616 Avengers. Now this isn't a bad thing by any means, its the approach he takes which could make or break it. Again, we'll have to fairly hold judgement until the book ships next year, or at least we get some previews and learn more about the direction its going. But its also not fair of you to jump down someone's throat because they're voicing these concerns, however vociferously. Next time, perhaps maybe a little more tact would be in order. This is just a message board after all, not freaking Fight Night. That's held in my backyard every Thursday night, if you're interested.

DIrishB said:
Wow, look at GMaster getting all up in people's faces. He must've eaten his ***-Kickin'-O's this morning.
They were mighty, err, Kickin'.
You aren't being sent a check directly from Marvel by any chance are you?Next time, perhaps maybe a little more tact would be in order. This is just a message board after all, not freaking Fight Night. That's held in my backyard every Thursday night, if you're interested.
OK, ok, its just people keep *****ing about this without even seeing anything about it. Especially Guij. And yes, whats youre adress?

GMaster said:
They were mighty, err, Kickin'.
OK, ok, its just people keep *****ing about this without even seeing anything about it. Especially Guij. And yes, whats youre adress?

Across the water, the house off Nettles Blvd with the bright lights out back, cheering crowd, and blood-soaked grass.

(and Guij is a cynic about everything, not only this...its a wonder he hasn't hung himself with a self-made noose from his ceiling fan yet the way he's always pissing and moaning)

. . .
GM, what's your problem? Seriously? I'm sorry that you are all excited about the new team, but frankly, you berating my opinion isn't going to get me to change my mind. Mocking me just shows your immaturity. You're right, I DON'T know where the book is going. But I can INFER from these two people talking. If I wanted to READ 616 Avegners, I'd go out and buy them! Would Ultimate Avengers be different? Of course, it would. It has the story from the ULTIMATE UNIVERSE to build in. But when Joe Mad TELLS US he's going to bring back the 'more traditional' costumes, I worry. HE TOLD ME HE WAS DOING THIS through that interview. Loeb? HE TOLD ME it was going to be a more standard superhero book. WE ALREADY HAD THAT WITH 616! Why rehash it? Try arguing your point at Millarworld. See what the people their have to say.

Lynx said:
. . .
GM, what's your problem? Seriously? I'm sorry that you are all excited about the new team, but frankly, you berating my opinion isn't going to get me to change my mind. Mocking me just shows your immaturity. You're right, I DON'T know where the book is going. But I can INFER from these two people talking. If I wanted to READ 616 Avegners, I'd go out and buy them! Would Ultimate Avengers be different? Of course, it would. It has the story from the ULTIMATE UNIVERSE to build in. But when Joe Mad TELLS US he's going to bring back the 'more traditional' costumes, I worry. HE TOLD ME HE WAS DOING THIS through that interview. Loeb? HE TOLD ME it was going to be a more standard superhero book. WE ALREADY HAD THAT WITH 616! Why rehash it? Try arguing your point at Millarworld. See what the people their have to say.
Try arguing my point at Milalrworld? You mean my point of wait 'till you see the book before you start bashing it? I don't really see why I ahve to argue that, there's no two ways about it. You don't have enough information at the moment to start saying whether or not this is going to be good or bad. That's simple, and theres no argument there.

GMaster said:
Try arguing my point at Milalrworld? You mean my point of wait 'till you see the book before you start bashing it? I don't really see why I ahve to argue that, there's no two ways about it. You don't have enough information at the moment to start saying whether or not this is going to be good or bad. That's simple, and theres no argument there.

Again, go tell that to the people at Millarworld. You think I'm bad? They're in a damn frenzy over there. Besides, you're missing the whole point that Mad's art, which we've SEEN, is so far different to Hitch's that it doesn't even compare. When a series goes from a realistic tone to manga-style superheroes. . .it's just not good.

Oh and by the way, I've read Wizard.

Last edited:
I'm terribly afraid I'm gonna have to side with GMaster here. Although his approach could definitely need some working on, his hearts in the right place.

There's one thing that I find in abundance on every single comic related forum, and that's that fanboys really know how to moan. What really gets my blood boiling though, is the amount of people saying things like 'That's it, I'm dropping Marvel forever' or 'I just called my retailer up to cancel Ultimates 3'; people who judge without seeing ANYTHING concrete on this comic. How about we wait until the comic actually hits the stands, then you can go and read it, and instead of following all the masses and whining and moaning about it, maybe you'll enjoy it, and instead of trying to compare it to Millar and Hitches stellar run, maybe you could just approach it as a separate entity. At the very least, just give it a chance.

So, Mad is gonna make the costumes a bit more traditional, maybe give somebody a cape, a few more bright colours.

One of the biggest things to come with the whole X Men Reloaded debacle was new, old fashioned, spandex costumes. Now go read Astonishing X Men and tell me it isn't a masterpiece of a comic. Just because Mad is altering the costumes a little, doesn't mean we're gonna get a poor story.

This particular diatrabe wasn't aimed in anyone, in fact, I find this forum to be one of the most light hearted, acceptable, friendly comic forums out there. Most of the fan boy whining I've been reading over on millarworld and newsarama.

Fuzzy Birds said:
I'm terribly afraid I'm gonna have to side with GMaster here. Although his approach could definitely need some working on, his hearts in the right place.

There's one thing that I find in abundance on every single comic related forum, and that's that fanboys really know how to moan. What really gets my blood boiling though, is the amount of people saying things like 'That's it, I'm dropping Marvel forever' or 'I just called my retailer up to cancel Ultimates 3'; people who judge without seeing ANYTHING concrete on this comic. How about we wait until the comic actually hits the stands, then you can go and read it, and instead of following all the masses and whining and moaning about it, maybe you'll enjoy it, and instead of trying to compare it to Millar and Hitches stellar run, maybe you could just approach it as a separate entity. At the very least, just give it a chance.

So, Mad is gonna make the costumes a bit more traditional, maybe give somebody a cape, a few more bright colours.

One of the biggest things to come with the whole X Men Reloaded debacle was new, old fashioned, spandex costumes. Now go read Astonishing X Men and tell me it isn't a masterpiece of a comic. Just because Mad is altering the costumes a little, doesn't mean we're gonna get a poor story.

This particular diatrabe wasn't aimed in anyone, in fact, I find this forum to be one of the most light hearted, acceptable, friendly comic forums out there. Most of the fan boy whining I've been reading over on millarworld and newsarama.

To be honest, I didn't particularly care for Astonishing X-men. I love Joss Whedon's Firefly, Buffy and Angel, but Astonoshing just wasn't my thing. As for Mad changing the costumes? I'm personally angry because this isn't 616, it's the Ultimate Universe. It's set in a realistic, contemporary world. I never said the story would be bad (And if I did, I apologize) because I like Loeb. I just think the way Mad wants to take the characters, away from the differences that made them unique in the Ultiverse, will affect the book in a very negative way. I already read New Avengers. I don't want the Ultimates turning into a New Avengers clone. Does that make it more clear why I'm upset?

Oh, and I don't plan on dropping Ultimates 3. I'm a completist and it will be apart of the story. I just wish the artist was different.

Last edited:
Loeb I'm sorta familiar with... sorta kind of pleased but Millar was a great story teller and I don't really want to see anyone else handle these characters. This artist guy worries me a lot though. I saw some pictures they don't seem like Hitch at all which they're not and like some of you said the way Marvel is trying to make it seem like a good thing is just wrong. Like Lynx though, I'm a completist.

Lynx said:
To be honest, I didn't particularly care for Astonishing X-men. I love Joss Whedon's Firefly, Buffy and Angel, but Astonoshing just wasn't my thing. As for Mad changing the costumes? I'm personally angry because this isn't 616, it's the Ultimate Universe. It's set in a realistic, contemporary world. I never said the story would be bad (And if I did, I apologize) because I like Loeb. I just think the way Mad wants to take the characters, away from the differences that made them unique in the Ultiverse, will affect the book in a very negative way. I already read New Avengers. I don't want the Ultimates turning into a New Avengers clone. Does that make it more clear why I'm upset?

Oh, and I don't plan on dropping Ultimates 3. I'm a completist and it will be apart of the story. I just wish the artist was different.

Yep, that makes it more clear, but when all's said and done, they're only costumes. Did Loeb say he was changing the tone of the book to be more similar to that of 616 Avengers? Or was it just Mad and the costumes. I agree, it does worry me a little to hear that from Mad, but I doubt he's gonna throw wings on Cap and Thor's heads or anything. And that's even if volume 3 features those guys.

And I'm glad you're not dropping it. I can see where your scepticism is coming from, and in some areas, I'd be inclined to agree. A certain amount of scepticism is healthy. If only more people had your attitude, instead of the whining and moaning and complaing and name calling that seems to be occupying the other boards.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Loeb I'm sorta familiar with... sorta kind of pleased but Millar was a great story teller and I don't really want to see anyone else handle these characters. This artist guy worries me a lot though. I saw some pictures they don't seem like Hitch at all which they're not and like some of you said the way Marvel is trying to make it seem like a good thing is just wrong. Like Lynx though, I'm a completist.

Would you prefer someone who's simply trying to copy Hitch's style? Marvel made the right move, IMO. Maybe the choices are debatable, but I'm a lot more happy now that I would have been if they simply chose poor imitations of Millar and Hitch. Let's face it, the only way to successfully continue this series without Hittlars input, is by hiring a team so radically different, they could never be compared to Hittlar in the first place.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Would you prefer someone who's simply trying to copy Hitch's style? Marvel made the right move, IMO. Maybe the choices are debatable, but I'm a lot more happy now that I would have been if they simply chose poor imitations of Millar and Hitch. Let's face it, the only way to successfully continue this series without Hittlars input, is by hiring a team so radically different, they could never be compared to Hittlar in the first place.

So far, only the costume changes worry me. Mad's art'll fit Loeb's style and visa versa. Their style might reflect the ending of Ultimates 2, I don't know.

But wings on Cap's head and Thor as an opera singer are taboo in the UU. I've calmed down to actually anticipating this. . .as long as the aforementioned doesn't occur.

Fuzzy Birds said:

I don't care how different it is, you know everyone (including you and I) are still going to compare Vol. 3 with the first two.

That said, I'm optimistic about the book, but not overly so. Like I said before, I'll wait till we learn more about it before passing judgement, and even then I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Latest posts

Back