What year(s) are the Batman: Year One movie and the DC Showcase: Catwomen short set in?

I think I worked this out before.

Timeline
1957 - Batman: Year One
1958 - DC Showcase: Catwoman
1986 - Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Deluxe Edition

Gordon's comment about how Bruce used to sip ginger ale while making everyone else think it was champagne "in the old days" is a reference back to the first time they met in Batman: Year One.

In Jim Gordon's house, there's a wall photo that depicts him and his family as they looked in the animated adaptation of Batman: Year One. Since the previous film was also done by the same production company, it's an acknowledgement of continuity between both animated films.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns does not update the timeline of the original comic, so it places itself in the 1980s. You can backtrack the timeline of Batman: Year One using this.

Last edited:
I think I worked this out before.

Timeline
1957 - Batman: Year One
1958 - DC Showcase: Catwoman
1986 - Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Deluxe Edition

Gordon's comment about how Bruce used to sip ginger ale while making everyone else think it was champagne "in the old days" is a reference back to the first time they met in Batman: Year One.

In Jim Gordon's house, there's a wall photo that depicts him and his family as they looked in the animated adaptation of Batman: Year One. Since the previous film was also done by the same production company, it's an acknowledgement of continuity between both animated films.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns does not update the timeline of the original comic, so it places itself in the 1980s. You can backtrack the timeline of Batman: Year One using this.
But the original comic Isn't set in 1984?

How would you take into account Year One's late 90s-early 2000s aesthetic then?

The Year One comic is also set in the main DC Universe separate from the Dark Knight Returns comic so it's impossible for the Year One and Dark Knight Returns films to be set in the same universe

Batman: Year One is set in both the DC Universe and the Frank Miller DC Universe. Regardless, talking about the animated films specifically, they're the same universe.

even then, the placement of the comic was retconned like 3 times. Originally it was set in an alternate reality created by miller as a prequel to The Dark Knight Returns set in 1957. Then the story become ALSO part of the main DC comic universe, taking place in 1977. Then after the Infinite crisis event it was retconned to 1989. Anyway if you guys want a Main DC Comics [Earth-Two, Earth-One, New Earth, Earth-0, Earth-Prime] Batman timeline, there is online a Chronoly project about him. Too bad that other DC characters or even Marvel Characters didn't get the same treatment.

https://therealbatmanchronologyproject.com/

P.S. Obiusly the fact that I'm following a DC chronology and I'm really good on the new earth lore should give you some questions. So yeah, I'm working on a Post-Crisis DC comics timeline, but at the moment isn't ready to be published. (Unless you really want to see that now).

even then, the placement of the comic was retconned like 3 times. Originally it was set in an alternate reality created by miller as a prequel to The Dark Knight Returns set in 1957. Then the story become ALSO part of the main DC comic universe, taking place in 1977. Then after the Infinite crisis event it was retconned to 1989. Anyway if you guys want a Main DC Comics [Earth-Two, Earth-One, New Earth, Earth-0, Earth-Prime] Batman timeline, there is online a Chronoly project about him. Too bad that other DC characters or even Marvel Characters didn't get the same treatment.

https://therealbatmanchronologyproject.com/

P.S. Obiusly the fact that I'm following a DC chronology and I'm really good on the new earth lore should give you some questions. So yeah, I'm working on a Post-Crisis DC comics timeline, but at the moment isn't ready to be published. (Unless you really want to see that now).
batman isn't the only one with that problem, Mr. @Pro Bot will know better than me that post-crisis Superman has like 4 different miniseries that tell the same origin story with differences: The Man of Steel (1986), Superman: Birthright (2003), Superman: Secret Origin (2009) and Superman and the Man of Steel (2011).

Latest posts

Back