Ultimate Mystery Discussion (Return of Captain Marh Vehl)

Guys - use the fact that there is no scan as a way of quitting cold turkey.

The comic is rubbish and it's not worth reading. If you think it is, go out and buy it. If it's not worth your money, it's not worth your time, and you'd do better for yourself by downloading/buying something new that might be more entertaining.

Tell that to those bastards who scanned all that awful Spider-Man mini-series from the 90's I forced myself to read :p
I'm scarred for life now :(

The comic is rubbish and it's not worth reading. If you think it is, go out and buy it. If it's not worth your money, it's not worth your time, and you'd do better for yourself by downloading/buying something new that might be more entertaining.

Truth.

I know! I think it's quite funny at how we can tell the popularity of a comic by the quality of the copyright infringment. :)

This is one of my favorite posts ever.

So much that it needs to be quoted daily.

It's not just a post of the day, but post of the DAYS.

I have ascended.

So much that it needs to be quoted daily.

It's not just a post of the day, but post of the DAYS.

I have ascended.
Well, since I provided the opportunity for all this...

You're welcome :lol:

I just decided that I hope the "Ultimate Enemy" trilogy leads into a new Ultimate F4 series with Sue, Johnny, Ben, and Jessica Drew as the new F4. If it was written by someone good, I'd buy that.

I just decided that I hope the "Ultimate Enemy" trilogy leads into a new Ultimate F4 series with Sue, Johnny, Ben, and Jessica Drew as the new F4. If it was written by someone good, I'd buy that.

Ultimate Comics Double Date?

But yeah, I'd be into that too. Sort of taking some of the elements of USM and combining it with F4. But they need someone good at tying in all the science stuff (like Warren Ellis), making it fantastic but just this side of believable (within the confines of the comic's "reality"). Ellis is well known for that, but I know there are at least a few other likely candidates that could actually do that idea some justice.

I don't know why people have been hating all over this... I think it's pretty solid overall, although the fight scenes have made the story move forward at a snail's pace.

I don't know why people have been hating all over this... I think it's pretty solid overall, although the fight scenes have made the story move forward at a snail's pace.

Personally, I'm not enjoying it because its WAY TOO predictable (if anyone was surprised by the reveal of Reed as the Ultimate Enemy, I have some land in Detroit to sell them), there's not a whole lot of depth, and Ben turning from Rock to Purple guy wasn't pointless--but it sure feels that way. Its just too many characters and not enough plot (and what plot there is just doesn't really interest or intrigue me). There's nothing new, its all a minimized re-hash of the 616 Marvel company wide cross-overs that Bendis has been doing but without the dramatic gravitas for me to care.

There have been some funny bits of dialogue, most notable the conversation between Spidey and Jessica concerning her sexual preference based on her being his female clone.

But other than that, there's not a whole lot to write home about. Granted, we're only about halfway through, but I expect Ultimate Doom to be more big, grand, epic fights in favor of a memorable story. Its not terrible, but not great either. Standard, middle of the road Bendis.

I don't really hate it, it's just a bunch of typical change for the sake of change that Bendis crams into every story he tells. I'm thinking of purple energy Ben in particular but there are others; I just don't care enough to remember what they are.

But it was the same kind of thing with, say, Siege. Sentry gets killed, Ares gets killed, Loki gets...whatever happened to him. It was just a bunch of things happening that don't mean anything, don't make an interesting story, and aren't used to do anything interesting after the fact.

Bendis sucks.

That and the story hasn't progressed. Explosions happen, no one knows why. Ben goes purple, no one knows why. Mahr-vehl goes evil, no knows why. Rick Jones is there, no one knows why. Reed is now evil, no one knows why.

And all anyone does in the comic is say that they don't know what's going on. It's just as poor as AVENGERS DISASSEMBLED.

Ultimate Doom should end with the reveal that Ultimate evil Reed is in fact actually Doom (still possessing Reed's body from the end of the Zombie arcs) and has been ever since the ending of Millar's run (UFF #31-33 I think) where he supposedly ended up in the Zombie verse.

Last edited:
Ultimate Doom should end with the reveal that Ultimate evil Reed is in fact actually Doom (still possessing Reed's body from the end of the Zombie arcs) and has been ever since the ending of Millar's run (UFF #31-33 I think) where he supposedly ended up in the Zombie verse.
But that would mean Bendis would have to actually put some thought into this story! :lol:

Although, that actually would be a great idea.

Last edited:
I think I'd like the idea that he's not really evil as much as he's sick of being tied down by morals. That's consistent with his character as it has been established. He just doesn't give a crap any more and is doing what he feels he needs to do. He wants to explore the bounds of science and has always been willing to push limits to do that. And then Sue dumps him and SHIELD revokes his privileges. So he buries himself in his work again and figures out how to cure Ben, but he has to cross some lines to do it. So he does what he needs to in order to cure Ben (knowing what it will cost him) only to find out that Ben is hitting on Sue. So he's already past the point of no return and now the only relationships that were important to him are gone as well (Sue, Johnny, Ben) so what's there to keep him grounded? Nothing. And a new villain is born. But again, he's not evil, he is essentially an anti-social super genius who has lost his moral compass (the few relationships he did have).

I think I'd like the idea that he's not really evil as much as he's sick of being tied down by morals. That's consistent with his character as it has been established. He just doesn't give a crap any more and is doing what he feels he needs to do. He wants to explore the bounds of science and has always been willing to push limits to do that. And then Sue dumps him and SHIELD revokes his privileges. So he buries himself in his work again and figures out how to cure Ben, but he has to cross some lines to do it. So he does what he needs to in order to cure Ben (knowing what it will cost him) only to find out that Ben is hitting on Sue. So he's already past the point of no return and now the only relationships that were important to him are gone as well (Sue, Johnny, Ben) so what's there to keep him grounded? Nothing. And a new villain is born. But again, he's not evil, he is essentially an anti-social super genius who has lost his moral compass (the few relationships he did have).

Despite his altruistic ends in curing Ben of his rocky skin, using terrorist attacks and killing people to do so is still intrinsically evil. Its also terribly selfish, depending on motivation. After all, is it ONLY Reed's desire to help his friend return to normal which motivates him, or his guilt over turning Ben into the Thing in the first place?

Him not caring what side effects his experiments might have, no matter the outcome, is also incredibly selfish and dangerous, especially given his tendency in the past to wreak havoc amongst his wonderful discoveries and creations (part of the reason he lost SHIELD priveleges).

So, basically, he's just cleansed himself of any and all moral responsibilty concerning his actions and the outcomes. That sounds almost like a sociopath. Have you ever met a nice sociopath?

Latest posts

Back