Ultimate Marvel Team-ups

Have you read the Ultimate Team-ups?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Continuity used to give me a lot of headaches. It still does in regards to 616 (Which is why I only follow New Avengers in that Universe). As for Ultimate, I've read (And own) every title out there and I just go with the flow. New things override older events if it's a problem, unless a writer decides to manually fix an error later. I ignore UMTU UNTIL a specific event from it is brought up in one of the core books (The Wolverine, Hulk, and Black Widow issues, to name a few). I also ignore all FF mentions in books published before UFF #1. (With the exception of maybe Richard Parker and Eddie Brock's dad discussing Reed Richards. It's possible he was famous when he was in the Think Tank). But hey, these are just my personal views. Feel free to try to make it all fit, but your bound to run into some errors along the way. :wink:

Lynx said:
Continuity used to give me a lot of headaches. It still does in regards to 616 (Which is why I only follow New Avengers in that Universe). As for Ultimate, I've read (And own) every title out there and I just go with the flow. New things override older events if it's a problem, unless a writer decides to manually fix an error later. I ignore UMTU UNTIL a specific event from it is brought up in one of the core books (The Wolverine, Hulk, and Black Widow issues, to name a few). I also ignore all FF mentions in books published before UFF #1. (With the exception of maybe Richard Parker and Eddie Brock's dad discussing Reed Richards. It's possible he was famous when he was in the Think Tank). But hey, these are just my personal views. Feel free to try to make it all fit, but your bound to run into some errors along the way. :wink:

Duly noted, as boy have there ever been more than a few errors. But like I said, UMTU is in continuity, this has been stated by Bendis and other Ultimate writers, so to ignore it makes no sense to me (all except #9, which by now we should all know doesn't and wasn't meant to fit).

So, was the UMTU issue with FF designed to be out of continuity from the get-go? I'm just wondering why even write such a story? What's the point? It's not like it's a great story for its own right, is it?

vintsukka said:
So, was the UMTU issue with FF designed to be out of continuity from the get-go? I'm just wondering why even write such a story? What's the point? It's not like it's a great story for its own right, is it?

It was meant to be funny... It wasn't.

I have no idea why everyone beats up Ultimate Team-Up # 9 and all its craziness so badly. "It's not a great story", "It's completely pointless" "It's not 'serious'" :roll:

So does 'seriousness' and 'importance' have to be qualifying factors for a story's validity? Well, guess what that means a lot of popular entertainment would be invalidated.

To me, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up # 9 may not be in continuity, may be utterly crazy in its craziness, but it entertains so hard that it doesn't need 'seriousness' and 'importance' to validate itself.

I mean I've read a lot of comics that just don't care to entertain, let alone be serious, important or meaningful in any fashion.

ourchair said:
So does 'seriousness' and 'importance' have to be qualifying factors for a story's validity? Well, guess what that means a lot of popular entertainment would be invalidated.

Nah, it's not that. I liked the brain switch story in USM with Wolverine.

I didn't think UMTU #9 was funny. Or creative. It was dumb.

UltimateE said:
Nah, it's not that. I liked the brain switch story in USM with Wolverine.

I didn't think UMTU #9 was funny. Or creative. It was dumb.

Exactly.

If you want an out of continuity comedy issue, make it funny!

wOOt!

Ok, so I was away for the afternoon, going to a comic shop across town, and I FINALLY got my copy of the Hardcover. Yes, that's right. THE HARDCOVER!!!!

Only $40.00 to boot, too! :lol:

E had told me he saw a USED one for $226.00!

Dr.Strangefate said:
Exactly.

If you want an out of continuity comedy issue, make it funny!
That's actually a pretty smart statement. I mean if you make a story serious and with meaning, that is out of continuity, it sort of defeats the meaning of that story. (Of course, this is to say nothing of alternate realities and Elseworlds, but that's beside the point.)

An out of continuity story that is completely bat**** loco, is really just using the out of continuity schtick as license to do anything and as such takes full advantage of its non-canonical nature.

I think this has been said in another thread, but I'll post it here (cuz I'm lazy).

But people have been wondering about Ultimate Daredevil's origin. Whether he had an accident that gave him his super-human senses or is just a regular human with those kinda senses. Well, in the UMTU issue, #7 I believe, and in there, DD narrates that he had an accident in his childhood that gave him his super senses. So wouldn't that solve the origin question?

icemastertron said:
Did anyone notice that in the Iron Man issue, Victor was named as VON DOOM, and not VAN DAMME?

I think that's been pointed out before. :?

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

icemastertron said:
Did anyone notice that in the Iron Man issue, Victor was named as VON DOOM, and not VAN DAMME?

yea its been mentioned a few times... im guessing this is your first read through?

icemastertron said:
Well I didn't know that, or at least I didn't remember reading it.

Well, it is your first read.

icemastertron said:
I think this has been said in another thread, but I'll post it here (cuz I'm lazy).

But people have been wondering about Ultimate Daredevil's origin. Whether he had an accident that gave him his super-human senses or is just a regular human with those kinda senses. Well, in the UMTU issue, #7 I believe, and in there, DD narrates that he had an accident in his childhood that gave him his super senses. So wouldn't that solve the origin question?

Yes, yes it would.

Yup. Either account it to another continuity screw-up or assume Victor changed his name from Van Damme to Von Doom sometime after the Doom arc in UFF.

No kidding, Ice, you never read these issue before? What'd you think overall. Not a terrible series, but not a great one either.

DIrishB said:
No kidding, Ice, you never read these issue before? What'd you think overall. Not a terrible series, but not a great one either.
No, it's not a terrible series, but yeah, its alright.

So far I've read up to the Spidey/FF arc. the Punisher/Daredevil/arc, so far, my favorite one.

The Spidey/Wolverine was ok, and could have been told somewhat better.

Spider-Man and Iron Man was alright. Didn't really feel like a team-up until the last few pages. Kinda the same for the Wolvie team-up thinking about it...

Spider-Man and Hulk, it was cool. But does that really count as a "team-up" if your fighting against each other? :?

Punisher/DD/Spidey, like I said, is my favorite one yet. The art was great here, the story I really liked, and this one feels like it'll be the best one in the whole series.

Spidey/FF team-up: :sick:

The art wasn't all that good. Peter had freaking buck teeth! It wasn't funny, didnt even chuckle a bit. Smile? Not really. The video part seemed like you could have just done the issue without it, seems really boring and just not needed. Too much "*&%$^*&$%&##". 98% of came from Peter alone! The story over all here...."meh".

But, what would be cool is that the idea of Peter going to the BB, would be great 'crossover' (no pun intended) for him to go into UFF. He could go do an article on them, or something, and then of course have the "Don't go here if you want to live because of the traps that NO ONE CAN EVER PASS. NO ONE!", and somehow work it that Peter still goes there, and passes it like nothing, the FF find Spidey there, and Spidey can be like "I...uh..want to join you! Yeah, join your group!".

Something like that.

Latest posts

Back