Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

This is taken from Comingsoon.net's live blog coverage of the Agents of SHIELD panel at Comic-Con. Blake Wright was the guy there, and was asked directly how Coulson comes back. If you don't want to know, don't read any further.
Blake Wright: @Khan... Coulson's death was faked. Pure and simple. No smoke and mirrors there... but there was a joke about how long he had to hold his breath.
For those of you interested in reading the rest of the live blog.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=106645

This is taken from Comingsoon.net's live blog coverage of the Agents of SHIELD panel at Comic-Con. Blake Wright was the guy there, and was asked directly how Coulson comes back. If you don't want to know, don't read any further.
* SPOILER *
For those of you interested in reading the rest of the live blog.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=106645

Thanks, Spoon. I'd heard that and forgotten about the "holding breath" thing. I must admit I'm hoping it comes off better than the simple description.

Of course, that explanation may be a bit of misdirection, as other reports and statements by people working on the show have said Coulson will be dealing with the repercussions of his "death" throughout the show, which lends credence to the theory of him being a LMD and slowly discovering that and dealing with it over the show. Perhaps the "holding breath" thing is merely an excuse given to both Coulson and the audience early on, but the whole truth is revealed as the show progresses throughout the first season.

We'll see.

If that's true, I think it's kinda dumb.
Whedon went on and on about how Coulson's death was needed to form the Avengers. So if it was just a ruse, it seems like a copout. I hope the LMD theory is true.

Last edited:
Honestly, I never liked the LMD theory. Always thought it was kind of beyond the technology they'd shown us in the MCU so far.

Thanks, Spoon. I'd heard that and forgotten about the "holding breath" thing. I must admit I'm hoping it comes off better than the simple description.

Of course, that explanation may be a bit of misdirection, as other reports and statements by people working on the show have said Coulson will be dealing with the repercussions of his "death" throughout the show, which lends credence to the theory of him being a LMD and slowly discovering that and dealing with it over the show. Perhaps the "holding breath" thing is merely an excuse given to both Coulson and the audience early on, but the whole truth is revealed as the show progresses throughout the first season.

We'll see.

Well, it was clear from the beginning that there was more going on than met the eye, right? Fury took Coulson's trading cards out of his locker and put blood on them to drive the point home. He was clearly manipulating the Avengers. The idea that the entire death was faked fits pretty well with that, in my opinion.

Honestly, I never liked the LMD theory. Always thought it was kind of beyond the technology they'd shown us in the MCU so far.

Maybe, but I disagree. Considering we have flying, laser-shooting, super powered suits of armor, Asgardian gods/aliens who control the lightning, a weak stick of a man afflicted with just about every physical ailment there is turned into an Adonis with beyond human abilities, and a scientist who turns into a giant green monster, I don't find the idea of human androids beyond the realm of believability in that universe. In fact I'd argue its more believable than most of the Avengers.

Apparently not since it was mentioned by Tony in Avengers.

There is that too, though its entirely possible they don't actually exist and Tony was joking (as he's prone to do), and it was merely an Easter Egg for the fans. Sorry, just playing Devil's Advocate. ;)

Well, it was clear from the beginning that there was more going on than met the eye, right? Fury took Coulson's trading cards out of his locker and put blood on them to drive the point home. He was clearly manipulating the Avengers. The idea that the entire death was faked fits pretty well with that, in my opinion.

True, and I knew as soon as Hill mentioned the cards being in Coulson's locker we'd likely see him return.

That said, I actually prefer the LMD approach as opposed to the "holding his breath" explanation. It's a cheap cop out, and Whedon's better than that. Secondly, by not taking the LMD approach (or something at least better than him holding his breath), it wastes an opportunity to set up an interesting ongoing plot point of Coulson uncovering this ruse and exploring aspects of self-discovery.

Think it's important to remember this is an ongoing series, so it makes sense to have continuing plots and mysteries surrounding the characters (like Melinda May's past).

As for the bloody cards, if Coulson is an LMD, I'd attribute it to Fury just manipulating the situation and using those as a prop to drive the point home. That scene also hints at a greater reveal in the future, which we're now getting in the SHIELD show.

Last edited:
There is that too, though its entirely possible they don't actually exist and Tony was joking (as he's prone to do), and it was merely an Easter Egg for the fans. Sorry, just playing Devil's Advocate. ;)

That's what I always thought. I mean he could of said anything there; clone, evil twin brother, skrull imposter. It doesn't mean what he said exists, well, with maybe the exception of a skrull imposter. It was just a joke, and a little Whedon easter egg thrown in for us fans.

My favourite theory is still that Coulson faked his death, on orders from Fury. It's the most logical, and from where I stand the most believable without totally ruining the rest of universe from a storytelling standpoint. If Coulson is a LMD then how are we supposed to be afraid for, or even care for our heroes when they're in danger. If SHIELD's gonna waste a LMD on Coulson, who's, let's face it, an expendable agent, you know SHIELD would use one for Cap or Tony if anything ever happened to them. And it would take away the suspense.

Also it would take away the gravitas, if they ever wanted to kill someone for dramatic effect. Everyone would be asking, 'why don't they just use an LMD?'

That's what I always thought. I mean he could of said anything there; clone, evil twin brother, skrull imposter. It doesn't mean what he said exists, well, with maybe the exception of a skrull imposter. It was just a joke, and a little Whedon easter egg thrown in for us fans.

My favourite theory is still that Coulson faked his death, on orders from Fury. It's the most logical, and from where I stand the most believable without totally ruining the rest of universe from a storytelling standpoint. If Coulson is a LMD then how are we supposed to be afraid for, or even care for our heroes when they're in danger. If SHIELD's gonna waste a LMD on Coulson, who's, let's face it, an expendable agent, you know SHIELD would use one for Cap or Tony if anything ever happened to them. And it would take away the suspense.

Also it would take away the gravitas, if they ever wanted to kill someone for dramatic effect. Everyone would be asking, 'why don't they just use an LMD?'

Because, and please correct me if I am wrong, LMD's do not have powers. If Cap dies, so does his powers. If Thor dies, so does the thunder. You can always put someone else in the Iron Man armor, but you can't replace the heart or the intelligence that Stark brings to the table. Even SHIELD felt Tony was too unpredictable, but that's what saved New York from both the Nuke and the invasion. The Jonah and the Whale reference illustrates that point. SHIELD would want more control, and that would ultimately be the downfall of an LMD/Iron Man (see also the Whiplash controlled armors).

An agent however, even a charismatic beast of a man, follows orders to a tee and will only operate in the bounds of the training and commands. Perfect for an LMD.

That doesn't delete suspense from the equation. The character who the audience has enjoyed would still be in danger, and if they were to die they're still dead. Sure, physically an LMD could replace the physical form, but not the powers/abilities, and maybe not even the personality.

An LMD is still just a robot copy, but an imperfect copy since it wouldn't contain the abilities of the superhero who died.

I'm not against the Coulson faking his death thing, but I think the Coulson from the series being an LMD opens a lot of story possibilities, and offers more potential in terms of exploring themes than just Coulson "holding his breath" and faking his death does.

Because, and please correct me if I am wrong, LMD's do not have powers. If Cap dies, so does his powers. If Thor dies, so does the thunder. You can always put someone else in the Iron Man armor, but you can't replace the heart or the intelligence that Stark brings to the table. Even SHIELD felt Tony was too unpredictable, but that's what saved New York from both the Nuke and the invasion. The Jonah and the Whale reference illustrates that point. SHIELD would want more control, and that would ultimately be the downfall of an LMD/Iron Man (see also the Whiplash controlled armors).

An agent however, even a charismatic beast of a man, follows orders to a tee and will only operate in the bounds of the training and commands. Perfect for an LMD.

Exactly. Well said.

Eh, you guys make valid points, but it still doesn't change my opinion. I've always not liked that theory.

Last edited:

Cool interview, offers up some new info.

If there's a scene in the film showing Quill leaving Earth in the mid-80's, I'll add it. But if its just implied or mentioned off the cuff (like on a wrap sheet) there's no need to. We'll see.

Awesome info, though. I like that Gamora starts out working for Thanos, which indicates he'll at least have some presence in the film. Really can't wait for this movie.

James Spader cast as Ultron in Avengers 2

That's very interesting, and unexpected casting. I think it'll work, though. Spader is an incredible actor with a habit of working with great director's in various roles, and think he'll pull off the role well.

I assume he's probably just doing the voice. I wonder what this means for the Jarvis is Ultron speculation.

Hey, look what I found!

http://kairisparda.tumblr.com/post/31486454766/thor-rare-comics

The Burger King's Thor comics! About time I searched them..

Nice. Been looking for issues #2-4 of this for years. Unfortunately it's not canon for the MCU. I'd even messaged Brian Glass (the writer) on FB and asked him about it. Still a nice piece of "extraneous" story.

I assume he's probably just doing the voice. I wonder what this means for the Jarvis is Ultron speculation.

It could be, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him doing motion capture for the role (like Ruffalo did for Hulk in Avengers) since Spader's movements and "ticks" are a large part of his acting ability.

Also, this is only a rumor and kind of thin at the moment, but there is a certain logic to it, and if its true some very genius casting:

Paul Bettany is Vision?

I'd be ok with the idea. It'd also allow Vision's comic look to be somewhat believably translated to film by using an alternate Iron Man suit (with the green, yellow, red color palette) to house the Jarvis AI, or at least the portion of the Jarvis AI that's remained uncorrupted or been "fixed" to differentiate it from the Ultron AI.

Heh.

1238001_712723672077541_821905226_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back