Marvel Cinematic Universe - Timeline

Any ideas as to when little Cottonmouth & Pop/little Luke & Diamondback's scenes take place?

Last edited:
Fisk mentions in 2x10 that he met Matt at the art gallery several months ago (placing Season 1 only several months before), but the weather shown in late Season 1 makes that impossible unless we assume snow is falling in Spring/Summer, which is unlikely. We'll just have to assume he was under-estimating.

In fairness, when I tell people something happened "several months ago" it can mean anything up to about 2 years

Iron First will be released on March 17:

[video=youtube;1lYcmsfrI-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYcmsfrI-U[/video]

Wonder if this will be considered canon?

Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! Ride

Any ideas as to when little Cottonmouth & Pop/little Luke & Diamondback's scenes take place?

I used the actor's real ages to help place those scenes.

In fairness, when I tell people something happened "several months ago" it can mean anything up to about 2 years

Then you're misusing the word. ;)

[video=youtube;1lYcmsfrI-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYcmsfrI-U[/video]

Nice, will update for that release date.

I'm not sure if anyone has thought of this, but it may be a good idea to have a google doc or something put together filled with notes on timeline clues per each episode/movie/comic etc. that way whenever a new release comes out, if it retcons anything we've place down beforehand we have quick reference for adjustments instead of having to go back and rewatch everything.

This thread has done a great job as far as discussion goes, but having notes streamlined for something like this that is only going to keep expanding doesn't sound like a bad idea

I'm not sure if anyone has thought of this, but it may be a good idea to have a google doc or something put together filled with notes on timeline clues per each episode/movie/comic etc. that way whenever a new release comes out, if it retcons anything we've place down beforehand we have quick reference for adjustments instead of having to go back and rewatch everything.

This thread has done a great job as far as discussion goes, but having notes streamlined for something like this that is only going to keep expanding doesn't sound like a bad idea

That's something I've been meaning to go back and do, but just so busy with the various other timelines I'm doing or updating the existing ones I can't seem to find the time.

If anyone is up for collating all the timeline info from here in the thread (that's where most is contained, actually probably ALL of it), please do, and I'll credit you on the timeline summary. I'll add it to a new summary page after the initial timeline post.

It is but there's no reason there couldn't be a crossover, long as it's set post Daredevil Season 2 it'd work timeline wise.

Yeah, that'd be the idea--that by the time the Netflix series is released, even given the timeline lag for the Netflix shows, Punisher Season 1 would still be well after Agents of SHIELD season 4. Although apparently it's already filming, so maybe not. (Might be for one of the other series, though.)

Fisk mentions in 2x10 that he met Matt at the art gallery several months ago (placing Season 1 only several months before), but the weather shown in late Season 1 makes that impossible unless we assume snow is falling in Spring/Summer, which is unlikely. We'll just have to assume he was under-estimating.

Is there anything preventing Season 1 from taking place in January-February 2015, before Jessica Jones? I'm assuming a little snow wouldn't be out of place then, and it'd keep the time gap between the two seasons at less than a year, making Fisk's comment technically correct. I know there's the reference to the Incident, but I don't remember how specific it was.

Lil' Cottonmouth mentions Video Music Box, a program that debuted in 1983.

It's funny, when the Netflix series were first announced, this was the show I was most interested in based on the premise, and I was disappointed that it had been left for last. But given how good the other series have been, it almost seems anticlimactic. :D

Wonder if this will be considered canon?

:( Neat to see an MCU attraction, but the Tower of Terror is one of my favorite attractions in terms of atmosphere, and this overlay looks pretty unconvincing.

Ok, timeline is completely up to date for Luke Cage, along with some major re-arrangement of Daredevil Season 2 in relation.

Let me know what you think, if this placement works or not, etc.

Is it possible to push back some of those Agents of SHIELD season 3 episodes to account for the Hell's Kitchen gang wars reference in "Watchdogs"? I know it's a pretty vague, hard to spot reference, but as it's one of the few "real-time" cross references it'd be neat to keep it in.

Are the flashbacks with Cottonmouth and Pop where Pop's nickname is established on there? I'm sure they are, but I keep missing them. IIRC there was a reference to them happening in the late 90s.

TC

Last edited:
Ok, timeline is completely up to date for Luke Cage, along with some major re-arrangement of Daredevil Season 2 in relation.

Let me know what you think, if this placement works or not, etc.

Personally I think its the most accurate approach possible.

I agree that it works better where it is now, even though it means a lot of work to get my edit right. Have you moved around AoS series 3 aswell?

Is there anything preventing Season 1 from taking place in January-February 2015, before Jessica Jones? I'm assuming a little snow wouldn't be out of place then, and it'd keep the time gap between the two seasons at less than a year, making Fisk's comment technically correct. I know there's the reference to the Incident, but I don't remember how specific it was.

I have to go back and rewatch but I'm pretty sure DD Season 1 had same weather patterns: started with it warm and gradually got colder, indicating transition from Summer/Fall to Winter. I have to go back and rewatch Season 1 to be sure. I'll get started on that this week.

Lil' Cottonmouth mentions Video Music Box, a program that debuted in 1983.

Yup, I set those scenes in 1986, figured that works best to account for that and the character age.

Is it possible to push back some of those Agents of SHIELD season 3 episodes to account for the Hell's Kitchen gang wars reference in "Watchdogs"? I know it's a pretty vague, hard to spot reference, but as it's one of the few "real-time" cross references it'd be neat to keep it in.

I have it set in January, a month or two after conclusion of DD Season 2. The assumption is the gang war is still occurring even after DD Season 2 ends. Watchdogs has to occur in January to make sense of the flash forward of 3 months in Bouncing Back to line up with Civil War and the crossover elements of the final few episodes of AoS Season 3 crossing over with CW (set definitively in March/April).

Are the flashbacks with Cottonmouth and Pop where Pop's nickname is established on there? I'm sure they are, but I keep missing them. IIRC there was a reference to them happening in the late 90s.

I left those as memories due to Pop's voice over running over them the whole time. I can separate those if you guys think it appropriate. Have to be earlier than late '90's based on their portrayed ages and clothing. Maybe early '90's? I'd push it even earlier but the Cottonmouth flashbacks seem set in mid '80's so can't go too much earlier.

I agree that it works better where it is now, even though it means a lot of work to get my edit right. Have you moved around AoS series 3 aswell?

Yes, a bit in relation to DD Season 2 and moved a few episodes up to January to account for the CW crossover episodes and the 3 month flash forward in AoS episode "Bounce Back" which confirms there's only a 3 month span between, and that latter portion must occur in at least April due to the hard dates given in Civil War and AoS crossover epis SS toward end of season having to happen before the flash forward which occurs towards very end of 3x22 before flash forward of 6 months in that case.

I left those as memories due to Pop's voice over running over them the whole time. I can separate those if you guys think it appropriate. Have to be earlier than late '90's based on their portrayed ages and clothing. Maybe early '90's? I'd push it even earlier but the Cottonmouth flashbacks seem set in mid '80's so can't go too much earlier.

Personally, I would separate them. There's a couple flashback scenes in the timeline with voiceovers throughout that are separated (Will's astronaut scenes) (Hank and Janet's jet scene). It wouldn't hurt for them to stay memories, but I also think they could fit well as flashbacks.

I
Yup, I set those scenes in 1986, figured that works best to account for that and the character age.

How old were the characters supposed to be? The across who played Luke, Misty, Shades, and Cottonmouth are all close to 40 in real life. The actor who played Pop is 57, but he was made to appear older in the show. On the flipside, the actress that played Mariah is 63, though she doesn't look quite that old.

The actor who plays young Cottonmouth is 20, but says he's playing him at age 15.. If Mariah changed his diaper, she would need to be at least 8-10 years older. Were Mariah and Pop supposed to be 25 and 30 in 1986? I would have guessed 17 and 20ish (although the actor who plays young Pop is about 30, and I couldn't find an age for the actress who played young Mariah). Also, I would have guessed 50 and 60 in the modern part, which fits better with the older ages for the flash back.

All that to say, I don't know How old any of them are supposed to be.

Personally, I would separate them. There's a couple flashback scenes in the timeline with voiceovers throughout that are separated (Will's astronaut scenes) (Hank and Janet's jet scene). It wouldn't hurt for them to stay memories, but I also think they could fit well as flashbacks.

Yeah I'll go back and separate them, using the (Audio/Video Only) tags.

How old were the characters supposed to be? The across who played Luke, Misty, Shades, and Cottonmouth are all close to 40 in real life. The actor who played Pop is 57, but he was made to appear older in the show. On the flipside, the actress that played Mariah is 63, though she doesn't look quite that old.

The actor who plays young Cottonmouth is 20, but says he's playing him at age 15.. If Mariah changed his diaper, she would need to be at least 8-10 years older. Were Mariah and Pop supposed to be 25 and 30 in 1986? I would have guessed 17 and 20ish (although the actor who plays young Pop is about 30, and I couldn't find an age for the actress who played young Mariah). Also, I would have guessed 50 and 60 in the modern part, which fits better with the older ages for the flash back.

All that to say, I don't know How old any of them are supposed to be.

All really good questions. Hopefully we'll get more info from show runners that may shed more light on that stuff.

I thought about this while watching the episode, and I think I'm going to leave them as memories when editing Luke Cage. It's a lot of work just for a couple of seconds of video.

I thought about this while watching the episode, and I think I'm going to leave them as memories when editing Luke Cage. It's a lot of work just for a couple of seconds of video.

That's how I've kept all of the flashback-memories. Keeps things a bit more coherent (although parts of AoS 2x17 are put in twice, once at the right time and again when Jaiying was telling Skye about them)

That's how I've kept all of the flashback-memories. Keeps things a bit more coherent (although parts of AoS 2x17 are put in twice, once at the right time and again when Jaiying was telling Skye about them)

I've seperated many of the memories, but the one with Young Pops is just so short it doesn't seem worth the work.

Latest posts

Back