I need someone to talk to about this.

The wiseguy. There's a lot of spec. that it's a member of The Hand which makes a lot of sense because he referenced Matt's a ninja and talked about Stick.

If there is no connection to The Hand and he's just being Omniscent, than there's also a lot of speculation that it's Mephisto or Blackheart. The arc does deal with the Ten Commandments and Bendis likes toying with Nocenti's villains. Most people have complained about their use but I think he's done a helluva job so far with them.

Do you think this man is connected to the twisted looking demon baby?

Bendis' run has been so down to Earth and realistic. He really tossed a curveball now and has delved into some sort of supernatural theme.

Any thoughts? Anybody?

I haven't gotten the issue yet but it looks good I'm liking the demon thing happening though and when did Matt get married or are we just learning about it now?? and where is his "wife"?

wouldnt be the first time dd has dealt with blackheart or mephisto....its always interesting to see the whole supernatural theme pop up in daredevil..its even better when the supernatural theme is there, but the story isnt revolved around that.

Daredevil # 74 (Spoilers)

Haven't posted a review since April, but then again I haven't sat down for a good night comic book marathon in a while.

Daredevil # 74
"Decalogue Part IV: Thou Shalt Not Steal" by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

Synopsis: Several people from the Kitchen have gathered in St. Mary's Church to discuss the impact Daredevil has had in their lives. Each one reveals their dark little secret including a middle-aged woman whose daughter committed suicide after being rescued by the guardian devil. Slowly tension mounts, especially under the provocation of a seemingly knowledgeable who claims to know the secrets of Matt Murdock himself.

Review: This is probably the most intriguing installment of Bendis' widely-proclaimed homage to Krzysztof Kieslowski's Dekalog. Undeniably ambitious, Bendis' Decalogue seemed to pale in comparison to preceding arcs mostly because of its ambiguity. I'm also no big fan of the ostentatious covers, most of which are a little more in your face than I'd like and the preceding issue had a cover that looked more like a Tower Records shopping bag.

Alex Maleev's art is top notch as always, but I'm also impressed with how much improvement Dave Stewart has shown within the arc. He's in top form here mostly because he's ascended to tthe same level of color-coded atmospherics that Hollingsworth branded the title with in Out. The story of Lynn and her relationship with Milla succeeds mostly because of Stewart and Maleev's ability to express emotion through color and lighting, and as such, the one-page beauty shot that punctuates that subplot is more affective.

Whereas previous parts in this arc struck me as rather vaguely unimportant or all to sparse in direction to warrant an individual 22-page installment, this chapter hints at something darker, a menacing force that is invitingly sinister. Whether or not that has anything to do with Matt Murdock himself is something else altogether.

Bendis accomplishes this ambiguity by reminding us that Daredevil's abilities and personality were born out of shadowy illicit circumstances. By situating his ninjitsu training within the larger context of philosophies and religions, Bendis manages to acknowledge that sometimes disciplines of battle and war are also disciplines of thought, principle and secrets. Murdock is shaped not only by forbidden relationships, forbidden parentage but even forbidden knowledge.

It's been awhile since I've been intrigued and compelled by an issue of Bendis' Daredevil. Don't get me wrong, the title still remains as excellent as ever, but I haven't experienced the same kind of cliffhanger draw that made the title such a compulsive habit since the days of Hardcore and King of Hell's Kitchen.9/10

ourchair said:
Haven't posted a review since April, but then again I haven't sat down for a good night comic book marathon in a while.

Daredevil # 74
"Decalogue Part IV: Thou Shalt Not Steal" by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

Synopsis: Several people from the Kitchen have gathered in St. Mary's Church to discuss the impact Daredevil has had in their lives. Each one reveals their dark little secret including a middle-aged woman whose daughter committed suicide after being rescued by the guardian devil. Slowly tension mounts, especially under the provocation of a seemingly knowledgeable who claims to know the secrets of Matt Murdock himself.

Review: This is probably the most intriguing installment of Bendis' widely-proclaimed homage to Krzysztof Kieslowski's Dekalog. Undeniably ambitious, Bendis' Decalogue seemed to pale in comparison to preceding arcs mostly because of its ambiguity. I'm also no big fan of the ostentatious covers, most of which are a little more in your face than I'd like and the preceding issue had a cover that looked more like a Tower Records shopping bag.

Alex Maleev's art is top notch as always, but I'm also impressed with how much improvement Dave Stewart has shown within the arc. He's in top form here mostly because he's ascended to tthe same level of color-coded atmospherics that Hollingsworth branded the title with in Out. The story of Lynn and her relationship with Milla succeeds mostly because of Stewart and Maleev's ability to express emotion through color and lighting, and as such, the one-page beauty shot that punctuates that subplot is more affective.

Whereas previous parts in this arc struck me as rather vaguely unimportant or all to sparse in direction to warrant an individual 22-page installment, this chapter hints at something darker, a menacing force that is invitingly sinister. Whether or not that has anything to do with Matt Murdock himself is something else altogether.

Bendis accomplishes this ambiguity by reminding us that Daredevil's abilities and personality were born out of shadowy illicit circumstances. By situating his ninjitsu training within the larger context of philosophies and religions, Bendis manages to acknowledge that sometimes disciplines of battle and war are also disciplines of thought, principle and secrets. Murdock is shaped not only by forbidden relationships, forbidden parentage but even forbidden knowledge.

It's been awhile since I've been intrigued and compelled by an issue of Bendis' Daredevil. Don't get me wrong, the title still remains as excellent as ever, but I haven't experienced the same kind of cliffhanger draw that made the title such a compulsive habit since the days of Hardcore and King of Hell's Kitchen.9/10
:rockon:

TheManWithoutFear said:
No because we need people who can elaborate instead of just saying "it's good" like I do.
You know, you're onto something there. Perhaps that should be our master plan to get people to read Daredevil. What say you, my friend? Is it a plan? FOR FREEDOM!

Daredevil #75 Discussion (Advanced Spoilers)

I just kind of quickly read it. There was a lot of Dialogue so I may have missed things or misunderstood. If that's the case I'll get back to the thread later... Art was good as always.

The conclusion to the Decalogue arc. So how'd it go? I'd say pretty well. The thing that kind of messed with my opinion though was that when I heard about this arc, I thought it was going to deal with various events within the year span of Matt's reign as Kingpin. The first two issues, involving Bullet and the guy who bombed Matt's house in Born Again were truly some of the greatest DD comics I've ever read. I kind of wish he kept it like that but Bendis' had a tale to tell involving our little demon baby...

The last issue left off with Matt being recognized at the meeting. Here he is now apologizing to everyone for being there when he knows how much trauma he's caused in his life. He never fully admits to being Daredevil but of course he doesn't deny it. So, why is Matt there?

The name to the smug jackass of the group is revealed to be Lawrence. He really is a nobody and he's not anything we've speculated on. Matt starts retelling the story of what happened between him and Powers (The Jester). It should've have been an easy victory but something was different about Powers. He takes the little girl from last issue hostage and holds a knife up to her. Just then he starts to cough and drool and gag... that's when the Demon baby appears... Out of his mouth, like a slug. The girl starts screaming but Matt can't see the thing at all he can't detect it with any of his senses. The Demon attacks the girl and that leads to the events in the previous issue.

At the meeting Lawrence is nervous and is now quiet. He gets up and runs away. Matt tells everyone to stay there and he'll be back. Matt tracks Lawrence down who now has a gun pointing at Matt. Instead of pulling the trigger he aims it at himself. The Demon begins to come out of his mouth and Lawrence pulls the trigger killing both himself and the Demon.

Matt returns to the meeting and gives a speech, never admitting to being Daredevil. He then walks outside where the F.B.I. lead by Agent Driver are in their white van. Matt knocks on the back door of the van and they panick and ask what to do. Driver says open it and when they do Matt's gone and no where in sight. The last page shows Matt on the rooftops in the pouring rain with the Daredevil costume in his grip blowing in the wind.

All in all it was a good arc. I liked the first two issues better than the last but the Demon was interesting and to my knowledge left open because someone is still playing with Black Magic in Hell's Kitchen. Also, it would be interesting to see any of those characters from the group come back and testify against or for Matt Murdock in the next arc.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I just kind of quickly read it. There was a lot of Dialogue so I may have missed things or misunderstood. If that's the case I'll get back to the thread later... Art was good as always.

The conclusion to the Decalogue arc. So how'd it go? I'd say pretty well. The thing that kind of messed with my opinion though was that when I heard about this arc, I thought it was going to deal with various events within the year span of Matt's reign as Kingpin. The first two issues, involving Bullet and the guy who bombed Matt's house in Born Again were truly some of the greatest DD comics I've ever read. I kind of wish he kept it like that but Bendis' had a tale to tell involving our little demon baby...

The last issue left off with Matt being recognized at the meeting. Here he is now apologizing to everyone for being there when he knows how much trauma he's caused in his life. He never fully admits to being Daredevil but of course he doesn't deny it. So, why is Matt there?

The name to the smug jackass of the group is revealed to be Lawrence. He really is a nobody and he's not anything we've speculated on. Matt starts retelling the story of what happened between him and Powers (The Jester). It should've have been an easy victory but something was different about Powers. He takes the little girl from last issue hostage and holds a knife up to her. Just then he starts to cough and drool and gag... that's when the Demon baby appears... Out of his mouth, like a slug. The girl starts screaming but Matt can't see the thing at all he can't detect it with any of his senses. The Demon attacks the girl and that leads to the events in the previous issue.

At the meeting Lawrence is nervous and is now quiet. He gets up and runs away. Matt tells everyone to stay there and he'll be back. Matt tracks Lawrence down who now has a gun pointing at Matt. Instead of pulling the trigger he aims it at himself. The Demon begins to come out of his mouth and Lawrence pulls the trigger killing both himself and the Demon.

Matt returns to the meeting and gives a speech, never admitting to being Daredevil. He then walks outside where the F.B.I. lead by Agent Driver are in their white van. Matt knocks on the back door of the van and they panick and ask what to do. Driver says open it and when they do Matt's gone and no where in sight. The last page shows Matt on the rooftops in the pouring rain with the Daredevil costume in his grip blowing in the wind.

All in all it was a good arc. I liked the first two issues better than the last but the Demon was interesting and to my knowledge left open because someone is still playing with Black Magic in Hell's Kitchen. Also, it would be interesting to see any of those characters from the group come back and testify against or for Matt Murdock in the next arc.

That's kinda of lame, I mean Lawrence isn't Lawrence Cranston A.K.A Mr. Fear, he's just some guy? Mephisto isn't involved? That seems like a poor excuse for a climax.
All Bendis did was create a plot dangler, one he likely won't address in his last arc.

The Overlord said:
That's kinda of lame, I mean Lawrence isn't Lawrence Cranston A.K.A Mr. Fear, he's just some guy? Mephisto isn't involved? That seems like a poor excuse for a climax.
All Bendis did was create a plot dangler, one he likely won't address in his last arc.
I guess there was a lot of speculation that it might be Cranston. Possibly I skipped over that and other details. I don't think I did though. I'm looking forward to sitting down and taking my time reading it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I guess there was a lot of speculation that it might be Cranston. Possibly I skipped over that and other details. I don't think I did though. I'm looking forward to sitting down and taking my time reading it.

If the climax is some nobody named Lawrence is possessed by a demon and then kills himself and the demon, that sounds pretty lame to me. I mean why should I care? Some nobody killed himself, so what? i mean who is this Lawrence guy and why did the demon possess him, where did the demon come from? If DD can't track the demon with his senses how did he know it possessed Lawrence? How did DD know Lawrence and the demon were at the church meeting? Why was Lawrence at the Church meeting? Are any of these questioned answered, because if they are not, Bendis likely won't answer these questions in the next arc.

Bendis just create a plot dangler that will either be ignored or mishandled by the next writer, sounds like a bad conclusion, when a truly dramatic climax was in order.

Last edited:
Sat down and read it.

I like the whole arc a lot. This issue had great dialogue to it.

Who was Lawrence? A renegade HAND member who went Awol and studied a darker black art.

Favorite part was Matt talking about how he feels like he's not going to live to see his mission accomplished....

Wow, that looks very good. I may think about picking up some DD trades. :p

I read The Pulse, I didn't know Urich was impaled. How is he still living?

ultimatedjf said:
I read The Pulse, I didn't know Urich was impaled. How is he still living?

Too be honest I knew about it from somewhere but never read it in any of my readings. And now I'm looking through the handbook and it doesn't say anything about it. Curious. I'll be back with this information. Until someone else beats me to it. Someone being the other 3 Daredevil readers on the site.

Latest posts

Back