What are Your Favorite DCAU Comics?

Cheimison

I've been a fan of the DCAU shows since they came out, in particular the early seasons of Batman, Superman and Justice League. Like many people I've often wished there was more of it. I've known there were tie in comics, but not that there were so many! I will probably eventually read all of them, because why not, but I'm looking for recommendations/which ones you all like the best. Superman is my favorite character in DC, but I already snagged the trades of Superman Adventures. I remember enjoying the Batman Adventures comics and grabbed the Omnibus of that.

From what I understand some of the Adventures in the DC Universe and Justice League Adventures are out of canon with the DCAU (although clearly inspired by it), and that doesn't bother me, I'm just wondering if they're good. I don't know how I'd get Burger King giveaway comics from two decades ago, but if they're good I'll read them.

I noticed that Batman Beyond has been tied into the regular DC Multiverse (Superman Adventures is also created by Superman in the Superman, Inc. Elseworld), so does this mean there's a universe in the DC Multiverse where everyone is built like a Silverback gorilla?

I've been a fan of the DCAU shows since they came out, in particular the early seasons of Batman, Superman and Justice League. Like many people I've often wished there was more of it. I've known there were tie in comics, but not that there were so many! I will probably eventually read all of them, because why not, but I'm looking for recommendations/which ones you all like the best. Superman is my favorite character in DC, but I already snagged the trades of Superman Adventures. I remember enjoying the Batman Adventures comics and grabbed the Omnibus of that.

From what I understand some of the Adventures in the DC Universe and Justice League Adventures are out of canon with the DCAU (although clearly inspired by it), and that doesn't bother me, I'm just wondering if they're good. I don't know how I'd get Burger King giveaway comics from two decades ago, but if they're good I'll read them.

I noticed that Batman Beyond has been tied into the regular DC Multiverse (Superman Adventures is also created by Superman in the Superman, Inc. Elseworld), so does this mean there's a universe in the DC Multiverse where everyone is built like a Silverback gorilla?
I have half of the Burger King JL giveaway comics. I can send photos of those later on. :)

Batman Adventures #25, featuring pre-STAS Superman characters, is very interesting. They're Death of Superman versions, as they hadn't even started on Superman TAS when these books were being published played pretty much straight out of the comic. One of the things I really enjoyed in STAS was Clark teaming up with Robin against Bane, and I think this issue uses Superman very well. There's a straight team up without any of the seemingly requisite 'ambivalent for a bit' motif that shows up in Byrne, Snyder and STAS itself, in fact this clearly takes place after they've worked together at least once.

That issue can't fit into the continuity of the later shows for all sorts of reasons, no matter when we place it in time, but it's still a fun team up comic. I wish we'd seen more of these, but on the other hand JLU is effectively that dynamic over and over.

Batman Adventures #25, featuring pre-STAS Superman characters, is very interesting. They're Death of Superman versions, as they hadn't even started on Superman TAS when these books were being published played pretty much straight out of the comic. One of the things I really enjoyed in STAS was Clark teaming up with Robin against Bane, and I think this issue uses Superman very well. There's a straight team up without any of the seemingly requisite 'ambivalent for a bit' motif that shows up in Byrne, Snyder and STAS itself, in fact this clearly takes place after they've worked together at least once.

That issue can't fit into the continuity of the later shows for all sorts of reasons, no matter when we place it in time, but it's still a fun team up comic. I wish we'd seen more of these, but on the other hand JLU is effectively that dynamic over and over.
Yeah most of these are on DC's DCU Infinite comic subscription service.
What's crazy to me tho is that the final 5 or 6 issues of the original Batman Adventures run (which involves Hugo Strange's backstory about his son) is not on there...might be something I'll email them about.

Yeah most of these are on DC's DCU Infinite comic subscription service.
What's crazy to me tho is that the final 5 or 6 issues of the original Batman Adventures run (which involves Hugo Strange's backstory about his son) is not on there...might be something I'll email them about.
The last few issues of Superman Adventures simply never got collected, though some are scattered in the Lex Luther and other TPBs. The collected TPBs end at 35 (with scattered issues in other collections) even though the series runs to 66, I don't know why.
Actually, that's almost half the series missing.

Last edited:
The last few issues of Superman Adventures simply never got collected, though some are scattered in the Lex Luther and other TPBs. The collected TPBs end at 35 (with scattered issues in other collections) even though the series runs to 66, I don't know why.
Actually, that's almost half the series missing.
Yeah that was frustrating we didn't get the complete run collected. Hopefully we get Superman Adventures Omnibuses in 2025 to tie-in with the Superman Legacy film.

Yeah that was frustrating we didn't get the complete run collected. Hopefully we get Superman Adventures Omnibuses in 2025 to tie-in with the Superman Legacy film.
I can buy random issues if necessary, I'd like to see a continuation on the vein of Batman Adventures Continue and Justice League Infinite. My favorite version of Superman is Bronze Age (or Grant Morrison), but the somewhat rougher, Golden Age-y Superman of STAS is quite likable.

Latest posts

Back