Ultimate Spider-Man bores me now

TheManWithoutFear said:
Like what Millar is doing with UFF? I agree. Nightmare was pretty good. So I have faith Bendis if not forced to show Wolverine's ugly mug, would do a good job with some short stories.

I agree. . .to an extent. While I'm enjoying Millar's UFF, I think his story arcs would be better if they were one issue longer. Four issues an arc is ideal.

Lynx said:
I agree. . .to an extent. While I'm enjoying Millar's UFF, I think his story arcs would be better if they were one issue longer. Four issues an arc is ideal.

But that's Millar's problem. I wasn't commenting on if Millar was doing a good job with it. I think he's taking stories that are essential to The Fantastic Four's mythos (Namor) and putting them into a mini arc is a terrible idea. Namor deserves a full fledged arc of his own. However with the style Bendis is pulling off with all of these ultimizations. I think he should do little stories to introduce the characters instead of throwing everyone into once batch.

TheManWithoutFear said:
But that's Millar's problem. I wasn't commenting on if Millar was doing a good job with it. I think he's taking stories that are essential to The Fantastic Four's mythos (Namor) and putting them into a mini arc is a terrible idea. Namor deserves a full fledged arc of his own. However with the style Bendis is pulling off with all of these ultimizations. I think he should do little stories to introduce the characters instead of throwing everyone into once batch.

Hmmmm. . .I don't want to get too off topic, but I agree. Namor, specifically, should have been at least 4, if not 5, issues. Namor is a major villian. But stories like Crossover (Which was just a fun story) and President Thor (Which, supposedly, already uses an established villian. In this case, Doom.) are fine being 3 issues. However, 6 issue arcs are all wrong for the type of story Bendis is telling. 6 issue arcs need to be epic, like in the Ultimates. Spidey should be 4 issues long, similiar to most of BKV's X-men arcs. Otherwise, you wind up with issues that either have 1)Way too much small talk or 2) Too many blank panels.

Agree with MWoF, the Torch team-up was cool. I think the problem with Bendis is that he's too 'all-over-the-place' with his stories (as Goodwill explained).

I think that since Peter is still in high school (and I think that this is where he should be for as long as possible - part of what killed 616 Spidey was Stan Lee rushing him out of high school and then keeping him in college forever) Bendis should focus on: High School Dilemmas and what Peter's life is like. We know about it, but it seems that it's just been on reruns since #32. We need to see more interaction with Kong, possibly building a friendship between him and Peter. Imagine, if you will, Flash dissing Peter one day, and all of a sudden, Kong comes rushing to Peter's defense. It would surprise everyone.
I also dig Liz Allan, who I think barely gets enough exposure except for when MJ is having another one of her breakdowns or in #68 (correct me if I'm wrong, but this has been the closest we've gotten to a Liz-centric issue, and all the dialogue she used in that issue probably equates to the amount of dialogue she's had across the entire series!). I think that Liz and Kong should be a couple (and I've said it before) because it'd be cute. They looked so cool together in #78 after Mark's band's show.

Stories about Peter being in over his head ('Learning Curve'; 'Legacy'; 'Cats & Kings'; 'Warriors') are better suited to the teenage incarnation of Peter, but when you basically repeat the same themes over and over, all you get is redundant.:wink:
Then there's the big Parker legacy stuff. It's great to read and there's a mystery there, but it is so rarely touched on, and the impact is so rarely felt, that it almost feels like a 'What If...!?' tale.
I mean, Peter fought his childhood friend Eddie, who had turned himself into a monster (Peter didn't know that for sure), and then went looking for him and some answers (in#39) and then it sort of fell away because the next arc was a comedy.
Same with "Carnage". We get Gwen's death. A crappy fallout issue (in #65) that barely scratches the surface of these characters, and then we get a stupid nonsense 'team-up' with Wolverine!? Even the 'Popular' team-up would've followed that better than Wolver-freakin'-rine!!!

So, yeah, I think we do need a new creative team, or at least a new writer. Not because Bendis is bad, but because he is just going over the same thing over and over. Crime pays. People get hurt. Peter's life sucks. It's awesome. It's what I wanna see. But not all the time. I want another 'Hollywood' or another 'Double Trouble' (the Ock arcs are my favorites!) because those are just fun romps with action and adventure and comedy!

Kirkman says he wants this book next. Go ahead and give it to him. I'm not asking for a creative jigsaw puzzle like with UXM, but a new ongoing writer for another three or four years could do the book some good.

Nas

TheManWithoutFear said:

That I will agree on. I don't think there should be anymore of these weak cameos.

Goodwill said:
That I will agree on. I don't think there should be anymore of these weak cameos.

Bagley should make some B or C-grade villains into cooler characters in UU. That's what the Ultimate Universe is about anyway. Too bad he tends to keep the crappier super-villains to cameo roles only and normally uses them as a joke. I'd be impressed if he was able to turn Stilt-Man or Kangaroo into bad-*** Ultimate villains.

I blame Bendis and Bagley equally for their lack of enthusiasm in ultimising villains. Just as I commend Millar and Hitch for their interest in theirs.

Both writer and artist inspire each other, if both lack the imagination and commitment to the project it is quite clear.

Well, whenever Bendis has put an effort into Ultimising a villain, I think it's worked. I'm a big fan of Ultimate Venom and the Ultimate Goblins, for example, not to mention Ultimate Kraven. And I think some villains, more so for Spider-Man than the Avengers, are just so conceptually "there" that in terms of look/powers at least, they're kinda hard to improve. Doc Ock and Sandman spring to mind.

Guijllons said:
I blame Bendis and Bagley equally for their lack of enthusiasm in ultimising villains. Just as I commend Millar and Hitch for their interest in theirs.

Both writer and artist inspire each other, if both lack the imagination and commitment to the project it is quite clear.
Too bad you didn't mention Vaughan. Him and whoever he's working with wipes both of those teams out.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Too bad you didn't mention Vaughan. Him and whoever he's working with wipes both of those teams out.

I absolutely agree. Longshot's my boy. Sinister was my favorite villain of the ones we've seen... There's no one better than Vaughan at this point in terms of developing and introducing characters.

The only arc I haven't read from Vaughns UXM run is Magnetic North, and I have to say Eddie Brock is far more interesting then anything he has introduced. The best villains in the Ultimates are the anti- heroes on the team itself.

randomthoughts said:
The only arc I haven't read from Vaughns UXM run is Magnetic North, and I have to say Eddie Brock is far more interesting then anything he has introduced. The best villains in the Ultimates are the anti- heroes on the team itself.
:noway:

Latest posts

Back