Ultimate Ben Reilly - thoughts & predictions

#64 SPOILERS:

Issue #64 should answer questions as to whether or not Reilly is under arrest.

What I thought was puzzling is how the police are gathering information, but don't bother to question the lab assistant or even get a hold of some information about him. I thought he would be an accomplice.

Well, that does seem weird, I guess, however, they were cleaning up and getting that place shut down. There was no real point... It seemed like a dead end to the police.

A friend and I were discussing this issue, and he asked me if Reilly taking the blood sample meant either the return of Carnage down the road, or the introduction of Scarlet Spider. I thought about the former, but it never occured to me that if he doesn't end up selling to the highest bidder, Reilly could try to use the sample for his own experiments and inadvertantly turn himself into the Scarlet Spider. Thoughts?

I just found it rather odd that the police didn't either a) keep Reilly for questioning b) arrest him as an accomplice. I could see this happening if Conners took the full blame and told them Reilly knew nothing, but still they'd be remiss not to question him (again as it seems they likely took him in for some questions between issues). The real kicker though is that they allowed the chief suspect's lab assistant into the lab which still was full of experiental material - aka EVIDENCE - unsupervised and then didn't bother to make sure he didn't take anything volatile.

Well, they WERE cleaning up, like I said... This could very easily be ignored.

Also, with Reilly, the story was open ended. He could turn into the Scarlet Spider or he could create another Carnage. The thing that I didn't think about was him selling it... It seemed like he was so obsessed with the experiment that he wouldn't do anything to harm his work and his interests. Who knows, though, it could be a very interesting thing to do in the next story about Reilly.

So before issue #64 I was saying Reilly would have a one-and-done act to complete the arc. Now I have to strongly consider we haven't seen the last of Ultimate Ben Reilly.

Also, with Reilly, the story was open ended

Sorry to beat a dead horse here guys but Bendis has said that the story isn't ended, open or otherwise...

I doubt Reilly will be part of #65. The story arc may not be over, but his story is over for now I think. I was thinking that Reilly may use the sample later down the line to create an untainted clone that may then become The Scarlet Spider, rather than give himeslf spider powers. Naming it after himself before being killed or something, possibly involving Miles Warren (The Jackal) just like he killed his lab assistant in 616. Or maybe Bendis will stick with the theme that it's a clone of Peter's father. That could be interesting. Peter meeting his father as The Scarlet Spider. There's a lot of things Bendis could do with this!

I think Reilly will get some disease and to clear it up he will inject the blood into his... It would carry on the storyline which we have read now, at least, sort of. The whole disease/ cure thing is what these things are being made of... Also, he could inject the stuff into him AND create another suit. Ben Reilly wore the symbiote Carnage at one point in 616...

I doubt Reilly will be part of #65. The story arc may not be over, but his story is over for now I think.

I tend to agree with this. It seems like Bendis was a little more deliberate about leaving this open-ended than he was with Venom. It has winded down to the point that now is the time for the characters to reflect on what happened.

Ben Reilly wore the symbiote Carnage at one point in 616

Thankfully I missed that one - can someone give a summary on this?

I seem to recall it being Peter who was temporarily possessed by the Carnage symbiote. I read some summaries from teh clone era a while back, and I think it happened around the timePeter was convinced that he and not Reilly was the clone. That put him over the edge and allowed the symbiote to control him until someone talked him down and they got the symbiote off him.

I believe the name of the arc is "Spider-Carnage" or something like that. And I think it was Ben Reilly. I didn't collect Spiderman at the time, but a friend of mine did and he had the issues.

It was Ben Reilly! At Sam Ruby, it says...

Spider-Carnage

After battling Carnage in Amazing Spider-Man #410, Ben Reilly was shocked to learn that Carnage vanished in the middle of a huge rumble...He found him later in that issue and yet another battle ensued that ended with a much larger shock to Mr. Reilly: The Symbiote that bonded with Cletus Kasady took a liking to Reilly and thus Spider-Carnage was born!...Ben fought to regain control of himself in Spider-Man #67 and it wasn't until Spectacular Spider-Man #233 that he broke free of it's control and returned once again to Kasady.

I have the issues with Spider-Carnage, and Ben Reilly was Spider-Man at the time. It was a four-part story I think called "Web of Carnage", and Carnage didn't even appear in the first part but it was mentioned that there were sightings of Carnage on the loose even though John Jameson confirmed at Ravencroft that Kassady was still in his cell. In part 2, Reilly caught up with Carnage but it was revealed that the symbiote had left Kassady and bonded to Jameson. In finding Spider-Man, it took a new host again and thus Spider-Carnage was born. The third mostly focused on plots of the Cone Saga but culminated in Spider-Carnage almost killing Peter on a rooftop, but Ben regained control and ran off. And in the conclusion, Reilly went back to Ravencroft to ask Kassady how to control the symbiot, but, upon seeing Kassady, the symbiote realised he was dying without it and tried to rebond with him. So, Reilly had John Jameson lock him in a high-frequency-room-kinda-thing so that Carnage could never be reborn, but the symbiote went up the tap at the sink and through the piping back to Kassady's cell - which was how it escaped in the first place and why any time you saw Kassady during the story he was washing his hands. It was actually a fairly decent story.

John Jameson confirmed at Ravencroft that Kassady was still in his cell. In part 2, Reilly caught up with Carnage but it was revealed that the symbiote had left Kassady and bonded to Jameson

I am soooooooooo glad I missed this. :roll:

Latest posts

Back