The Return

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
I have returned.

I hate that I've been away for so long, but life kinda demanded it. Had my son a few years back...me and his mother split when he was like 3 months...then had to leave for deployment when he was only like 6 months old. While deployed, a woman I was with left me and got rid of my dog (The Captain) and when I came back from deployment, my son's mother was stationed halfway across the country. I couldn't just get reassigned there, so I opted for the only option to be close to my boy---I volunteered for another long deployment so I could have the choosing of being moved near him. I got the deployment---downside was that I had to wait a year before I could actually leave for it. So I spent a whole year living alone in a tiny one-bedroom apartment...and scrounging up any spare money I could gather to continually buy plane tickets to go see him.

During that lonely year---I kinda went insane, shell-shocked, whatever you want to call it. I basically became a hermit. I cancelled my internet and cable and other random luxuries and would spend most weekends holed up in my place. I'm talking leave work Friday afternoon and not stepping outside or speaking a single syllable to another human until Monday morning when I walked into work. I'm sure that if a plague wiping out anything with a Y chromosome had hit, I'd have survived. Maybe. I didn't exactly have monkey poo in the air to help inoculate me. But yeah....I kinda just flicked off. The only thing I had was the mission and my upcoming deployment.

The deployment in itself wasn't bad. Obviously a couple scrapes with the "enemy". Others had never had deployments like this and were understandably scared and panicked....meanwhile I welcomed combat like something outta a Garth Ennis MAX title. You can't begin to imagine how much I identify with his Nick Fury "My War Gone By" series. But I spent a lot of time there alone on an Afghanistan mountain-top playing lookout or overwatch positions. For others, it was like torture...like solitude in prison. But for me the quiet loneliness was calming and gave me a new perspective I needed. I sought some more professional counseling and "got better". Unfortunately, my son's mother couldn't deal with it and as soon as we ended our "long distance romantic relationship" she, more or less, cut me outta my son's life. And as much as I love him and hate her...I don't blame her too much cuz I was dealing with some stuff that wasn't exactly healthy for my boy. And sure I'm "better" now...and get to Skype with him, but it's gonna take a lot to earn my way back into his life. And I say this, publicly, with much shame...he deserves much more from me and I shouldn't have had these issues in the first place. But it is what it is and I'm better now.

I've worked on becoming social again for the last 2+ years and got a good woman in my life, a future stepson who thinks I may actually be Batman and have another son on the way. As a couple of you've seen...I now have even gone as far as actually getting a Facebook account.

So yeah......I'm back......

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've got him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Last edited:
Wow, that's some story. Glad you were able to get some help and crawl out of all of that.

And it's great to have you back here. I'm dead serious when I say I was worried about you.

Not only is this appropriate because of the message, but because it's Scrubs. I'm too awesome. 8)

[video=youtube;l-qllEHoayU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qllEHoayUhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qllEHoayU[/video]

Wow, that's some story. Glad you were able to get some help and crawl out of all of that.

And it's great to have you back here. I'm dead serious when I say I was worried about you.

Yeah the biggest issue was not having my son. E, you're a dad, so just imagine if you went on a business trip and came back home only to find that your kids are now halfway across the country now. That emptiness is just......I dunno. No words.

And I did miss coming on here, but I just lost all drive for outside contact. And then once I was ready to, it had been so long that it just became this "thing" looming.

But I'm glad I'm back.

Yeah the biggest issue was not having my son. E, you're a dad, so just imagine if you went on a business trip and came back home only to find that your kids are now halfway across the country now. That emptiness is just......I dunno. No words.

I am constantly struggling with the reality of my kids growing up and realizing that time is moving so fast and that even though I'm with them every day, I feel like I'm missing things. So I can't even imagine.

Well, after only having a son for 10 months, I have to say I would feel the same way.

I had something humorous to say, but I lost it watching all the Scrubs clip that Ice posted. Then I watched more...and more...and more......

Have you've seen Johnny, the tackling Alhezmier's patient?

WHO AM I?

Also all the music from the amazing Maynard Keenan and Trent Reznor.

I suddenly like you a lot more now.

You know what's a really painful thing, musically-speaking? Having a friend who's a Greatful Dead fan.

My friend Tim loves them for some strange reason. I met him about 5 years ago through an ex girlfriend (Tim's wife and my ex were best friends), and we used to go hang out at their place a few times a week. And inevitably, we'd end hanging out in their converted garage playing darts, cards, or pool. And almost always, Timmy would throw on some God-awful GD record, and if he got really drunk or...something else, he'd start expounding about how awesome they were, and how he'd been to like a dozen of their shows when he was younger, and blah blah blah. None of us had the heart to tell him it sucked (well, his wife did...repeatedly), but my ex and I just acted like good sports and pretended we were somewhat into it.

God, how do they have so many fans? No amount of drugs or alcohol makes that crap good, let alone bearable.

I can understand where your coming from with having to put up with the Dead Head. I had a buddy that was like that but with KISS. Don't get me wrong, I love KISS, seen them 4 times, but this guy was over the top. He had his garage turned into a small KISS museum. He would go on about what he read online about everyone who went to Gene Simmons' birthday and the last time Ace took a ****. He was in a KISS fan club that would go to conventions and dress up and get tattoos of the band. I called them rock n roll Trekies.

I can understand where your coming from with having to put up with the Dead Head. I had a buddy that was like that but with KISS. Don't get me wrong, I love KISS, seen them 4 times, but this guy was over the top. He had his garage turned into a small KISS museum. He would go on about what he read online about everyone who went to Gene Simmons' birthday and the last time Ace took a ****. He was in a KISS fan club that would go to conventions and dress up and get tattoos of the band. I called them rock n roll Trekies.

Yikes. I heard a rumor VVD was actually spending time in a KISS tribute band during his absence. Of course that adds a whole new dimension to the "blackface" racial stereotype. And only VVD's immeasurable machismo and awesomeness could pull it off with any tact.

Latest posts

Back