The Incredible Hulk Discussion Thread--SPOILERS!!

How would you rate Letterier's "The Incredible Hulk"?

• Total voters
I don't care for it much, so after seeing this, I wouldn't mind if Lee's Hulk was erased from existence. :D

Did the rights go back to Marvel? I thought they were still with whoever did the first movie?

yeah War Zone is still with Lionsgate

Not bad at all. I think it was a little ruined by a crappy theater experience.

But I enjoyed it. The cast did a great job and the end fight was great.

I do still prefer Connelly and Elliot more.

I don't care for it much, so after seeing this, I wouldn't mind if Lee's Hulk was erased from existence. :D

Did the rights go back to Marvel? I thought they were still with whoever did the first movie?

No, last i heard they still hadn't gotten it back.

not sure.

EDIT: Apparently Betty Ross' boyfriend is Leonard Samson? I thought he might be, but she never refers to him by name, nor does anybody in the cast. Not even a "Len" or a "Dr. Samson". They just mention that he's a Psychologist. Or as the character in the film puts it, a "head-shrinker".
Samson as Betty's boyfriend partially mirrors his original appearance in the Hulk comic, if I recall correctly. So, yes, that would make sense.

One of the more puzzling Internet rumors I saw on this film was that the writers were going to re-name the character "Samson Adams" or something along those lines. So perhaps not referring to him by name in the movie wasn't such a bad thing after all... :? He's addressed by name in the novelization.

Seriously, why use a different name? If you want fan recognition, changing the character's name makes no sense, and non-fans won't know the difference. (How was he identified in the credits, btw?)

(How was he identified in the credits, btw?)
As Dr. Samson, still.

Maybe the seen that got cut with him and Bruce had him mention his name.

And also:

"The Incredible Hulk" shattered its competition and seized the No. 1 spot at the North American box office this weekend with $54.5 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Marvel's comic book adaptation, which stars Edward Norton as a scientist who transforms into a green giant when he's consumed by his anger, defeated last week's box office champion "Kung Fu Panda," which slipped to second place with $34.3 million.

From here

Last edited:
Roth was another thing about the film that kept taking me out the experience. Tim Roth is awesome. Tim Roth is the only reason anyone should ever watch The Musketeer. But placing him as a US Army Captain with a british accent and full beard was just too much. Especially when they said he was on loan from the British Royal Marine/Guard. If he was a British agent, then why was he in full US Army attire w/ a beard?!?!?!?! He should've been in his respective national uniform!!!! I realize that this complaint about attire in a film that has a giant green main character is so petty and retarded that this comes off as inconsequential as Twilight's rant about Seinfeld's Bee Movie being completely inaccurate. But ugh. But despite all my complaints---he did ok. I would've rather seen someone else in the role rather than have Roth waste his talent on something like this.
I'm just mad that - with "Mr. Blue" and "Mr. Green" - they never once mentioned Tim Roth as being Mr. Orange.
Not bad at all. I think it was a little ruined by a crappy theater experience.
I too had a crappy theater experience.

I somehow managed to get dried chocolate on my arm, shirt, and pants. I still have no idea where it came from. And whether or not it was actually chocolate.

And the young black man sitting next to my cousin had his legs so far apart that he was practically sitting on him. We said that he was obviously "on the downlow" and was just trying to hit on my cousin.
No, last i heard they still hadn't gotten it back.

not sure.
It would be cool if they could.

I want a Punisher MAX movie.

Last edited:
At one time, I thought Mr. Blue could have been Betty, since in the comics (Bruce Jones' run) she was known as Mr. Blue.

I wondered if Mr. Blue was everyone from Betty to Tony Stark.

I had a particularly good theatre experience, with the exception of a high number of people going to the bathroom and then standing at the entrance hallway part of the theatre, sometimes looking at their cellphones for some reason. But otherwise it was great. No one talked or anything, but there was plenty of laughter and applause at the right moments. People were stunned silent by Hulk's clap.

There were these girls behind me that talked a lot through the movie, but it didn't hinder anything for me, except my patience to yell at them.

Then at they end they wouldn't shut up about, "Where's British Columbia at?".

There were these girls behind me that talked a lot through the movie, but it didn't hinder anything for me, except my patience to yell at them.

Then at they end they wouldn't shut up about, "Where's British Columbia at?".

It's by African America

Just got back from the theater...

THIS was the Hulk movie I wanted. Pretty much everything about it was better than Ang Lee's version by leaps and bounds. Even the love story aspect was done a lot better, as much as I hate to say it... probably because Liv Tyler's Betty Ross was always getting in the way whereas Lee's Hulk was always trying to get to Connelly's Betty.

Hell, as much as I like Sam Elliot, William Hurt blew him out of the water with his portrayal as Gen. Ross. I liked that Hurt's version was dedicated to his mission to a fault, consciously writing off his own daughter to pursue his goal.

And yes... the true-to-form Marvel-style monster battle in the middle of New York City was a total fangasm moment. The Hulk chucking tanks around in the desert and fighting a super-Nick Nolte was anti-climactic and boring. Hulk vs. Abomination smashing buildings like balsa wood was how it's supposed to be done. I was almost certain Hulk was about to rip off 'nation's arms and punch his head in half but even without that... wow... just tons better than the last film.

Throw in the Leader and Doc Samson who I'm sure we'll see in sequels and/or spin-offs and I'm satisfied. Oh yeah, the mentions of Rick Jones and Nick Fury in the opening credits were great and of course, the cameo by RDJr. was a total "yessss" moment. Marvel has their stuff together and I can't wait for more. Seems to me that putting out disappointing movies that confuse the fanboys and underwhelm the public-at-large might be over.

THIS WAS GREAT.

We could have had a secret wars to give spidey black suit :D

Galactus wouldn't have been a cloud :D

Wolverine could have worn the yellow costume (maybe just made it darker, but still):D

Webshooters :D

I wish it had been so.

1.) NO. Secret Wars has been pretty much retconned out of continuity at this point, outside of a few small Beyonder appearances. Secret Wars was fun in the 80's but let's leave it as what it really was... a promotion for Marvel's line of toys. Sure, we got the black Spidey costume which was fun until it was beaten into the ground with Maximum Carnage and the Symbiote saga during the 90's. Secret Wars on film would be a total flop, even if it was the biggest box-office success in history, simply because to cast that film would cost more than any studio is willing to spend on any movie EVER... at least if you wanted it to be a decent film. Maybe? Maybe you'd rather it was like the unreleased Roger Corman Fantastic Four film?

2.) PERHAPS. I would've rather seen the Ultimate version of Galactus. A giant man in purple-and-pink would just be LAAAAAAME on film. The cloud was a cop-out, though, I will agree.

3.) NO. Just NO. X-Men would've been the laughingstock of the movie world if they'd put him in yellow spandex... or yellow, period. A yellow costume just says "Hey, bad guys, I'm standing right here wearing primary colors! Kill me now! I'm an easy target!"

4.) NO! Mainly just because he's Spider-Man, not guy-with-spider-like-attributes-who-needs-gadgets-to-get-around. That's also my opinion on Spider-tracers and the Spider-bike or the Spider-buggy or the Spider-copter. Spider-Man, not Batman.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.) NO. Secret Wars has been pretty much retconned out of continuity at this point, outside of a few small Beyonder appearances. Secret Wars was fun in the 80's but let's leave it as what it really was... a promotion for Marvel's line of toys. Sure, we got the black Spidey costume which was fun until it was beaten into the ground with Maximum Carnage and the Symbiote saga during the 90's. Secret Wars on film would be a total flop, even if it was the biggest box-office success in history, simply because to cast that film would cost more than any studio is willing to spend on any movie EVER... at least if you wanted it to be a decent film. Maybe? Maybe you'd rather it was like the unreleased Roger Corman Fantastic Four film?

2.) PERHAPS. I would've rather seen the Ultimate version of Galactus. A giant man in purple-and-pink would just be LAAAAAAME on film. The cloud was a cop-out, though, I will agree.

3.) NO. Just NO. X-Men would've been the laughingstock of the movie world if they'd put him in yellow spandex... or yellow, period. A yellow costume just says "Hey, bad guys, I'm standing right here wearing primary colors! Kill me now! I'm an easy target!"

4.) NO! Mainly just because he's Spider-Man, not guy-with-spider-like-attributes-who-needs-gadgets-to-get-around. That's also my opinion on Spider-tracers and the Spider-bike or the Spider-buggy or the Spider-copter. Spider-Man, not Batman.

Everything you say is wrong, particularly about Spider-Man's powers.

And I say everything you said about everything that he said was wrong, is wrong. Especially about Spider-Man's powers.

I say everything you said about everything that he said about everything Willverine said about everything SSJmole said is wrong.

Oddly enough, I think everything Willverine said about everything SSJMole said is right.

Latest posts

Back