Stephen King discussion

My current story has a lot of King-esque themes and ideas about evil and whatnot... I'm starting to turn it into a novel. If it's close to any one King novel, it'd be Salem's Lot, but more for encompassing how evil affects an entire town rather than vampires and whatnot. My goal is to finish it in about a year and a half, and by finish I mean something I can send to the publishers...

It is titled "The Angels of Archer's Peak"

Huh, sounds cool. I had sort of a similar idea, sort of a cross between "It" and "Something Wicked this Way Comes." The idea itself isn't terribly original, but I think I can work with it.

Once you get your book published, you should remind me to buy it.

I am looking for a new Stephen King book to read. I haven't read any of his stuff in a while and I'm in the mood. I've read Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, It, Cell, The Dark Tower, The Bachman Books, Night Shift and On Writing. I am thinking maybe The Dead Zone or Hearts in Atlantis, since they both sound interesting. Any suggestions?

Read Hearts in Atlantis. It goes quick and is a good read. Also, the first tale has a great DT tie-in.

My current story has a lot of King-esque themes and ideas about evil and whatnot... I'm starting to turn it into a novel. If it's close to any one King novel, it'd be Salem's Lot, but more for encompassing how evil affects an entire town rather than vampires and whatnot. My goal is to finish it in about a year and a half, and by finish I mean something I can send to the publishers...

It is titled "The Angels of Archer's Peak"

What is it with you and Angels? Is it just a chatholic thing or what?

Judeo-Christian Mythology is intense, and pretty crazy awesome, particularly all the angel stuff... But this wouldn't really be the same sort of deal. The titular Angels in particular are hardly what you'd expect them to be.

Judeo-Christian Mythology is intense, and pretty crazy awesome, particularly all the angel stuff... But this wouldn't really be the same sort of deal. The titular Angels in particular are hardly what you'd expect them to be.

Dude. I want to read some.

Taskmaster said:
Lovecraftian angels?

?

Last edited:
I just downloaded the audiobook/CD "Road Rage". It collects Richard Matheson's "Duel" and Stephen King/Joe Hill's first collaboration, "Throttle." I'm pretty sure the latter is only available in prose form in a pricey Richard Matheson tribute book called He Is Legend at the moment so this is probably a good way to get it.

King also wrote a Kindle exclusive story called UR.

Under The Dome comes out in November, I think. It's about 1,038 pages so not as long as the The Stand. I'm looking forward to reading it. We should organize some kind of site reading of it like when the final Harry Potter came out.

Last edited:
So Stephen King has been busy lately... Spielberg wants to adapt Under the Dome for an HBO mini series, he's written a script for a Cell adaptation, he's writing a new Dark Tower novel and now he's talking about a sequel to The Shining...

Another Dark Tower book? Woah. A sequel to the Shining? Unnecessary...

PS do you have a source for this news?

Last edited:
Another Dark Tower book? Woah. A sequel to the Shining? Unnecessary...

PS do you have a source for this news?

He mentioned them during some talk he did recently. A bunch of film news sites mentioned it and they were talking about it on Stephen King message boards.

Another story in the Shining continuity(well, technically all the King books are in the same continuity, but yeah) could easily be good. The hotel's supposed to have long, cyclical history that's filled with crazy happenings. Repetition is the main obstacle I'm worried about.

Another story in the Shining continuity(well, technically all the King books are in the same continuity, but yeah) could easily be good. The hotel's supposed to have long, cyclical history that's filled with crazy happenings. Repetition is the main obstacle I'm worried about.

The problem is that it sounds like it doesn't have anything to do with the hotel:

Speaking to an audience of fans in Toronto about his new novel Under the Dome, King divulged that he'd begun working on a tentative idea for a follow-up to The Shining – first published in 1977 – last summer.

Danny, he said, was certain to have been left "with a lifetime's worth of emotional scars" after his experiences at the Overlook, where his father was possessed by the hotel, tried to kill him and his mother and eventually died.

How Danny deals with both his nightmarish experiences and the clairvoyance, or "shining", which saved him, might make "a damn fine sequel", King said, according to local Toronto news website the Torontoist. His vision of the book – tentatively called Doctor Sleep - sees Danny now aged 40, working at a hospice for the terminally ill in upstate New York. He is apparently an orderly at the hospice, but his real work is to help make death a little easier for the dying patients with his psychic powers – while making a little money on the side by betting on the horses.

The problem is that it sounds like it doesn't have anything to do with the hotel:

Fine by me. Ever since reading The Stand when I was a kid and seeing the nod to The Shining, I've wanted to see a book that delves deeper into the power.

It does sound rather similar to The Dead Zone though.

Fine by me. Ever since reading The Stand when I was a kid and seeing the nod to The Shining, I've wanted to see a book that delves deeper into the power.

It does sound rather similar to The Dead Zone though.

Probably on purpose. It's probably the same power, and it'll all tie into the Dark Tower mythology.

What'd he say about another DT story? Would it be a collection of short stories or a full fledged novel?

"King stated he will write another Dark Tower novel. It will center around supporting characters and revolve around some important events between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. One fan asked him to make sure Oy comes back, and King said not to worry, that Oy would return."

It's called The Wind Through The Keyhole. I've also read that it started off as a short story and he decided to extend it.

Latest posts

Back