Racism in RE5?

Can't this thread be merged with the existing Resident Evil thread?

Change the main character to another race just to shut these people up. I can understand some of their concerns but a lot of it is reaching. Specially the comment that this is marketed towards children which is not the case. If the main character is not a pre-existing character just make him asian or something, no big deal. But if its a character from a previous game continuing story his story than okay. Either change his race or throw in some white zombies, whatever

surely there will be a couple of token white zombies thrown in there

My family comes from Spain, I was greatly ofended that in RE4 Leon kills a whole village of Spanish people and is considered a hero! OMG SPANISH PEOPLE!
Capcom will hear it from me.

Also, seeing racism in everything is as racist as the act itself.

The main character is pre-existing.

Then there's not that big of a deal. Its just the same character in a different environment. Fans and general newcomers wont be brain washed, I'm sure white supremacists would love it but again that doesn't make it racist. I say those people are racists for seeing races. But there's a simple solution, throw in a bunch of token white zombies say their missionaries or something problem solved

Yeah, I commented on this in the RE thread.

If we can kill predominantly white zombies in RE0-CV, SPANISH zombies in RE4, why the hell can't we go to Africa and kill predominantly black zombies? Africa (Other, than perhaps, South Africa, where ethnicity seems fairly split) is primarily made up of black people. That's where the setting is. Are they saying we can't use Africa as a setting because it'll offend black people? Give me a ****ing break.

Listen, I'm completely against racism, but this is seriously getting ridiculous.

You said it for me Lynx. Racism sucks, period. But so do knee-jerk over-reactions or complete twistings of the truth. My God, this is insane! Its not like Chris Redfield is running around calling them the N-word or burning crosses, for Christ's sake!

I agree with DIrishB. It's not really racism going around shooting black Mexicans, or whatever they are, because they're zombies. If he was shooting them because they were black then I suppose we might have a problem.

I just saw the trailer. If you've never heard of RE before, ever, then yeah, it does look like he's randomly shooting black savages. The trailer was really poorly thought out and should've made it more obvious the Africans were zombies, but again: preexisting character fighting African zombies = white guy shooting a bunch of black guys and there's nothing you can really do about it.

I just saw the trailer. If you've never heard of RE before, ever, then yeah, it does look like he's randomly shooting black savages. The trailer was really poorly thought out and should've made it more obvious the Africans were zombies, but again: preexisting character fighting African zombies = white guy shooting a bunch of black guys and there's nothing you can really do about it.
But he doesn't even start shooting at them until the part where another black person with a posse start doing whatever to the black guy on the ground who then goes after Chris. It's not poorly done, it's that people who have nothing better to do want to play the racist card because they're bored with their lives.

Over on the Village Voice blog post, one commenter approached the issue from another direction, writing, "Many of these games, including [Resident Evil 5], are being made in ethnically homogenous Japan, where concepts of race are hugely different from those in America. On some level, I think Japanese developers simply don't understand how potentially flammable these kinds of scenarios could become, let alone some of the even more blatant stereotyping often found in Japanese games (think Barrett's penchant for Ebonics in [Final Fantasy 7], just for starters.)"
I think this is a very important point to consider.

It's not that Japanese culture can't be racist, it's that they have no real conception of what racism is because they've been so ethnically homogenous for so long.

There isn't really a constant interaction between diverse ethnic groups in Japan that is present in places like the United States which is full of immigrant culture or other countries that were former colonies (India, Philippines) where inter-racial relationships have been a part of the nation's psyche for so long.

Latest posts

Back