"Dumped" USM #78 Discussion/Spoilers

ultimatedjf said:
But seriously guys, check out the guy in the third panel of the music scene.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean the fourth panel. It's freakin funny. Then below that, the dude's face when he pulls the Spidey mask off. And then the singer : "Molten MAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hated this issue. It was a stupendously boring soap opera. I'd say Bendis is a poor-man's Vaughn, but that's damning with faint praise. Guffaw all you want, but your much-despised Hudlin is having much more fun riffing on the private Spider-Man than this load of "Happy Days" clap trap. No spine, no crackle, nothing but wussoid romance. If you like this, Fabio is your super favorite superhero.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Captain said:
However, there are like only white kids at midtown it seems...i have yet to notice anyone else in the classroom being any race other than white in the book.

ok cap, I'm going to have to call you out on this one man. if ya look closely at the panel where pete and MJ are in the classroom. The 3rd row back there's one black guy. And in some of the hallway scenes there are some colored kids.

and nice avtar of blackhawk dude.

nigma said:
ok cap, I'm going to have to call you out on this one man. if ya look closely at the panel where pete and MJ are in the classroom. The 3rd row back there's one black guy. And in some of the hallway scenes there are some colored kids.

and nice avtar of blackhawk dude.

Okay...well its funny how you have to look really closely to notice them...and im gonna have to call you out too pal. thats darkhawk, NOT blackhawk. Thanks for the compliment though, i like your avatar too! :wink:

The Captain said:
Okay...well its funny how you have to look really closely to notice them...and im gonna have to call you out too pal. thats darkhawk, NOT blackhawk. Thanks for the compliment though, i like your avatar too! :wink:

at least i had the 'hawk' part right, (i didn't even have my tea yet)

Goodwill said:
Yeah, I have noticed that trend, too. Perhaps it's the colorer's fault too.

i don't know if any of you noticed this, but this is was a few issues back, but bagley had two fat chicks holding hands and just walking along at the school. maybe i should make a thread called..'what can artist get a way with?'.

in the hobgoblin arc when shaw showed harry the cellar there was a girp load of money on the bed. i mean a grip.

nigma said:
at least i had the 'hawk' part right, (i didn't even have my tea yet)

i don't know if any of you noticed this, but this is was a few issues back, but bagley had two fat chicks holding hands and just walking along at the school. maybe i should make a thread called..'what can artist get a way with?'.

in the hobgoblin arc when shaw showed harry the cellar there was a girp load of money on the bed. i mean a grip.

no, dont get me wrong, its not like im offended or anything, but everytime you see a thug, he is probably black with a knife or something....when you see someone white robbing a place, they are white white a goofy costume...this is most of the time....as issue 43 did have a black guy with a cap america costume....it only sticks out to me after ive reread my collection and noticed the trend...

The Captain said:
no, dont get me wrong, its not like im offended or anything, but everytime you see a thug, he is probably black with a knife or something....when you see someone white robbing a place, they are white white a goofy costume...this is most of the time....as issue 43 did have a black guy with a cap america costume....it only sticks out to me after ive reread my collection and noticed the trend...

I remember saying this somewhere on this site "if ultimate Marvel saying that gold fish are green, then they are green" and look at who the target audience is? You think it's the kids living in the projects or ghettos, or the ones that have a hard life growing up. Nope. Its made to target the urban white kids, that have live the 'easy life'. Just the way it works. you target people that have lots of money to spend on comics. being a sterotypical is what we americans do best.

(btw i have yet to take ANY business class, I should really go and teach one ;) )

nigma said:
I remember saying this somewhere on this site "if ultimate Marvel saying that gold fish are green, then they are green" and look at who the target audience is? You think it's the kids living in the projects or ghettos, or the ones that have a hard life growing up. Nope. Its made to target the urban white kids, that have live the 'easy life'. Just the way it works. you target people that have lots of money to spend on comics. being a sterotypical is what we americans do best.

(btw i have yet to take ANY business class, I should really go and teach one ;) )

wow, you took that to a whole new level...i wasnt trying to go that far with it...its just getting really noticable....i mean, the guy sticking the deli clerk in 74...he looked just like the guy in 40...typical thug with a knife and a doo rag on his head...whats up with that...i have yet to see anyone of any other ethnicity do something like that...like i said, it doesnt matter...but at the same time, seeing this type of depiction since the series started made me think...a friend of mine brought this to my attention when i tried to get him to read ult spider-man.....i dont think bagley and co are racists...people are drawn based on how easy it is for the artist..but at the same time, these guys take time to put detail into t shirts and stuff....youd think they realize, "hey, we are trying to make this realistic as possible" where are the asians and latinos other than shang chi....
I tried to explain that to my friend....but i cant blame him for feeling the way he did..he spoke to bendis about it at a con...but who knows what will happen.

I don't think there racist or anything, they're just being stereotypical. And my goal today is to re-read my entire collection form 22 till 78 and see what I missed.

nigma said:
I don't think there racist or anything, they're just being stereotypical. And my goal today is to re-read my entire collection form 22 till 78 and see what I missed.

yeah, do that, and when you finish, tell me im not the only one who sees what ive been saying.

Captain, the reason I said something about Raxton's race is because I knew that Bagley/Bendis would make him white this time around. I knew that there's a bit of a trend in this title.

It's always good to have some non-action issues like this to see the life outside the superhero biz for Parker. I like the constant repitition of "What's so special about Peter Parker?", and how MJ says "Everything." in the end. It's touching and really shows how she really loves Peter and won't just let herself be swept off by any guy she likes.

I know a lot of you guys criticized MJ for acting stupid during the Hobgoblin arc, but isn't that exactly why Parker dumped her? So if you hated MJ for stuff he did back there, then Bendis' writing worked.

Also like the conflict between love as an emotion vs. love as a decision. Raxton is the charming and attractive rocker-athlete guy that MJ's falling for, while Parker on the other hand is getting rather ill-tempered and hates MJ. Sticking with Parker instead of allowing her emotions to overwhelm her and go with Raxton is MJ's first act of redemption as she strives to once again be the girl in Peter's life. It would be interesting how Parker's new girlfriend in USM Annual #1 would do to her decision to love Peter.

The only bad part that it's technically the epilogue of a story arc that had too many non-action issues. The Hobgoblin arc should have been a 4-parter at most. I also hope like UltimateE that this break-up will take a long time.

cmdrjanjalani said:
It's always good to have some non-action issues like this to see the life outside the superhero biz for Parker. I like the constant repitition of "What's so special about Peter Parker?", and how MJ says "Everything." in the end. It's touching and really shows how she really loves Peter and won't just let herself be swept off by any guy she likes.

I know a lot of you guys criticized MJ for acting stupid during the Hobgoblin arc, but isn't that exactly why Parker dumped her? So if you hated MJ for stuff he did back there, then Bendis' writing worked.

Also like the conflict between love as an emotion vs. love as a decision. Raxton is the charming and attractive rocker-athlete guy that MJ's falling for, while Parker on the other hand is getting rather ill-tempered and hates MJ. Sticking with Parker instead of allowing her emotions to overwhelm her and go with Raxton is MJ's first act of redemption as she strives to once again be the girl in Peter's life. It would be interesting how Parker's new girlfriend in USM Annual #1 would do to her decision to love Peter.

The only bad part that it's technically the epilogue of a story arc that had too many non-action issues. The Hobgoblin arc should have been a 4-parter at most. I also hope like UltimateE that this break-up will take a long time.

nice points man

Latest posts

Back