DC Nation

But he doesn't need to be called Batman to be happy Batman, he can still be Nightwing and essentially be a happy version of Batman.

OK, yeah. I don't read Nightwing (if there is even a title for him; I have no idea) and don't really have any interest in it, but I did like Dick Grayson as Batman and would read a book about that.

OK, yeah. I don't read Nightwing (if there is even a title for him; I have no idea) and don't really have any interest in it, but I did like Dick Grayson as Batman and would read a book about that.
No, there's no Nightwing title. It became the Grayson series.

I think I'm just about DC-free right now. I don't think that's a good thing, and while I am not personally invested enough in DC to call it disappointing it is a little bit.

I think the only monthly I'm reading right now is All-Star Western, and I don't even know why I'm reading that. Maybe it's just because I've been reading Jonah Hex since Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti started writing it and it's pretty OK, but even that is ending soon. I'm reading the Jiru Kuwata Batmanga title only because it's funny and I wanted to read the old Lord Death Man stuff. I don't think that's ongoing either.

I was reading Batman and Batman Eternal but I've completely lost interest in those. They aren't bad; I'm just not interested in them.

The quality in writing on a lot of these books since they hired all of the terrible 90s writers to do the New 52 is almost shocking. They seem like they are completely relying on the gimmick of a mysterious new universe to attract and hold readers while putting out profoundly mediocre stories.

I'm kind of sad that DC is so kind of crappy right now and I don't care about it.

I think I'm just about DC-free right now. I don't think that's a good thing, and while I am not personally invested enough in DC to call it disappointing it is a little bit.

I think the only monthly I'm reading right now is All-Star Western, and I don't even know why I'm reading that. Maybe it's just because I've been reading Jonah Hex since Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti started writing it and it's pretty OK, but even that is ending soon. I'm reading the Jiru Kuwata Batmanga title only because it's funny and I wanted to read the old Lord Death Man stuff. I don't think that's ongoing either.

I was reading Batman and Batman Eternal but I've completely lost interest in those. They aren't bad; I'm just not interested in them.

The quality in writing on a lot of these books since they hired all of the terrible 90s writers to do the New 52 is almost shocking. They seem like they are completely relying on the gimmick of a mysterious new universe to attract and hold readers while putting out profoundly mediocre stories.

I'm kind of sad that DC is so kind of crappy right now and I don't care about it.

Their digital stuff is great. Infinite Crisis is a fun multiverse story, Injustice is incredible, Batman '66 is the best Batman comic on the shelf as far as I'm concerned, Teen Titans Go! is just like the cartoon, Smallville has been blasting towards a Crisis and is one of my favorite comics thanks to it feeling just like pre-New 52 DC but in a younger and more modern universe, Batman Beyond is fun, and The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga is awesome.

Last edited:

I'm in the same place E. All I have left from dc is Wonder Woman, which I plan to drop when Azzarello's run finishes in a few issues and Sandman Overture which never actually ships. I plan to get Multiversity when it ships but that's hardly getting me back into the line as a whole.

When they launched the New 52 I tried over half the line. I kept up on a lot of books svc they've all just been shed off over time sure to low quality or they've been cancelled and replaced with books that don't interest me. The worst part is that I'm not sure what they can do to bring me back. Things life the Johns Kubert superman should excite the Hell out of me but they just don't now. I think it would take a major shift in both editorial and creative for me to start regularly reading dc again.

As the former "dc guy" of the board this makes me sad.

I regularly read 3 titles: Flash, Batman Eternal, and Detective Comics. I enjoy them all. I wasn't into Zero Year in Batman, but I'll be checking out the following arc. And Multiversity when its out.

I usually try not to just reply as to just agreeing without my own point to add but I'm also right up there with E on this. The only one I read now is All Star Western because I'm a Jonah Hex fan. I still think it's decent and has kept its humor. I wasn't wild about all the time travel Booster Gold nonsense but it still has held me. I also read Injustice but have to admit it's more of a guilty pleasure than what I consider a well written book.

Their digital stuff is great. Infinite Crisis is a fun multiverse story, Injustice is incredible, Batman '66 is the best Batman comic on the shelf as far as I'm concerned, Teen Titans Go! is just like the cartoon, Smallville has been blasting towards a Crisis and is one of my favorite comics thanks to it feeling just like pre-New 52 DC but in a younger and more modern universe, Batman Beyond is fun, and The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga is awesome.

I totally forgot about Batman '66 - that is good. I'm actually going to be dropping it and buying it in trades though.

I'm in the same place E. All I have left from dc is Wonder Woman, which I plan to drop when Azzarello's run finishes in a few issues and Sandman Overture which never actually ships. I plan to get Multiversity when it ships but that's hardly getting me back into the line as a whole.

When they launched the New 52 I tried over half the line. I kept up on a lot of books svc they've all just been shed off over time sure to low quality or they've been cancelled and replaced with books that don't interest me. The worst part is that I'm not sure what they can do to bring me back. Things life the Johns Kubert superman should excite the Hell out of me but they just don't now. I think it would take a major shift in both editorial and creative for me to start regularly reading dc again.

As the former "dc guy" of the board this makes me sad.

I will be checking out Multiversity, definitely.

I read the first 5 issues of every single New 52 book, even when they didn't look like they were shaping up to be anything because I wanted to give them a shot. After 5 issues I dropped all but maybe 5-6 of them (Off the top of my head because this is going back a few years - Wonder Woman, Batman Inc., Batman, Green Lantern, and whichever Superman book Grant Morrison was on).

I have absolutely nothing against DC and I'm not trying to sound kewl by saying I'm not reading any of their books. I think it sucks. It's just that none of them are any good.

Wonder Woman is an exception, but I stopped reading it a while ago out of convenience. I will go back and re-read it all one day.

Woo hoo! my TPB of Batman volume 1 and today Supergirl volume 1 arrived :) I plan to get Batman / superman volume 1 and Justice league volume 1. Is it worth getting Superman and Wonderwoman and Superman/wonderwoman volume 1s?

okay I read my supergirl 1 and I loved it but i have one question.

There are 4 worldkillers introduced in this with similar orgins to Doomsday and reign says to supergirl "there were 5 pods. 1 of us got out first" so based on the origin and the big deal with the 5th been missing. Is it Doomsday? I know he was in superman comics so I was not sure if it's come up if he is the 5th or not. It seems obvious but it may be a red herring

Comixology had a Wonder Woman sale last week, and I was able to pick up Kingdom Come and The New Frontier for 0.99 per issue. I was excited because I've been wanting to read both and I never had before. I've read Kingdom Come and I've started The New Frontier. Both have very pretty art. Kingdom Come was pretty decent, New Frontier seems better so far, but I'm only half way through the first issue.

Comixology had a Wonder Woman sale last week, and I was able to pick up Kingdom Come and The New Frontier for 0.99 per issue. I was excited because I've been wanting to read both and I never had before. I've read Kingdom Come and I've started The New Frontier. Both have very pretty art. Kingdom Come was pretty decent, New Frontier seems better so far, but I'm only half way through the first issue.

I like Kingdom Come, but I always felt like it was waaaaaaay overrated. People talk about it like it's the greatest story ever written and it just isn't. I don't get the hype.

New Frontier is way, way better if you want to compare the two.

I have Absolute Editions of each and they are beeee-yoo-teee-ful.

I like Kingdom Come, but I always felt like it was waaaaaaay overrated. People talk about it like it's the greatest story ever written and it just isn't. I don't get the hype.

New Frontier is way, way better if you want to compare the two.

I have Absolute Editions of each and they are beeee-yoo-teee-ful.

Yeah, I'm enjoying New Frontier a lot. I wanted to read Kingdom Come because I found out Mark Waid wrote it as a commentary on how the superheroes had become so "hardcore" and "bad-***" that they were almost indistinguishable from the villains. I thought that was a pretty interesting idea. The story itself was pretty good, but yeah, not incredible. My favourite part was when Supes and Bats hugged it out at the end. #bromance.

I always loved Kingdom Come because I didn't need to read/know much of DC lore to understand or enjoy the story. And when I first read it it was when I only knew little about DC outside of Batman/Superman.

I have the Absolute editions for both and have never read them lol. I did read my Absolute edition of Justice though. Was a really great JLA vs Legion of Doom story. Alex Ross should only release art in that format.

I always loved Kingdom Come because I didn't need to read/know much of DC lore to understand or enjoy the story. And when I first read it it was when I only knew little about DC outside of Batman/Superman.

Yeah, that's true. New Frontier relies pretty heavily on some obscure characters.

I remember the first DC trade I ever read was Identity Crisis. I had NO IDEA what was going on or who anyone one was.

I wanted to read Kingdom Come because I found out Mark Waid wrote it

You might also be interested to know, if you didn't already, that it is at least partially based on an Alan Moore proposal called Twilight Of The Superheroes.

As I recall Waid was on the receiving end of some backlash because there are a lot of similarities between the two. Also as I recall he admitted that he read the leaked script but insisted that the similarities were not intentional. I haven't read the script so I don't know.

You might also be interested to know, if you didn't already, that it is at least partially based on an Alan Moore proposal called Twilight Of The Superheroes.

As I recall Waid was on the receiving end of some backlash because there are a lot of similarities between the two. Also as I recall he admitted that he read the leaked script but insisted that the similarities were not intentional. I haven't read the script so I don't know.

Yeah, I did know that. I know Alan Moore got shafted by DC a couple of times, but I feel like Mark Waid is a good enough guy that he would respect Moore. But who knows.

Latest posts

Back