Criminal (Brubaker) - series discussion (spoilers)

I read it. But like I said before - I find it so boring, it's hard to remember what happened and therefore I don't have much to discuss.

It's written and drawn well though.

Have you tried the new issue? Its a bit more engrossing than the last arc.

I read it. But like I said before - I find it so boring, it's hard to remember what happened and therefore I don't have much to discuss.

It's written and drawn well though.

I felt the same way about it, but it really does read better in trade.

I noted one cool thing and that's that the TPB reads like an actual graphic novel...there is no obvious "break" between issues like other TPBs. It really helps the flow.

I felt the same way about it, but it really does read better in trade.

I noted one cool thing and that's that the TPB reads like an actual graphic novel...there is no obvious "break" between issues like other TPBs. It really helps the flow.

I'm kind of surprised at that since each issue seemed to be broken up into very noticeable segments. Major cast and scenery changes for each one.

I'm kind of surprised at that since each issue seemed to be broken up into very noticeable segments. Major cast and scenery changes for each one.

That's not quite what I mean...there are scene changes, but you know how Marvel, for example, keeps the intro pages and sometimes a page showing the cover of the issue? There's none of that here.

Re: Brubaker/Phillips Criminal

Did we seriously not have any discussion at all on this series once it came out? All of the discussion is on the previews.

Anyway, I just read the entire thing so far - 5 volumes. It was pretty much brilliant beginning to end. I loved how all of the stories intertwined - like a more intelligent version of Sin City (that's not a knock on Sin City - I loved Sin City).

The Sinners was probably my favorite just because it had so much going on. I had trouble following some of Volume 3 (I wasn't paying attention to titles so I'm not sure which part) but overall it was great.

And I am not super familiar with Sean Phillips and his art but it was PERFECT for this series.

I hope it's not done...

I remember discussing it... I haven't read it all but I have read about half of it and I remember talking about it. Maybe in one of the All About Comics threads?

I don't think it's done. If I remember correctly, Brubaker and Phillips are going to continue Criminal and Incognito for as long as possible, alternating between the two.

I remember discussing it... I haven't read it all but I have read about half of it and I remember talking about it. Maybe in one of the All About Comics threads?

I don't think it's done. If I remember correctly, Brubaker and Phillips are going to continue Criminal and Incognito for as long as possible, alternating between the two.

Yeah, we have a new round of criminal starting in a month or two.

And I didn't think many other people here were reading it.

Yeah, we have a new round of criminal starting in a month or two.

And I didn't think many other people here were reading it.

I wasn't keeping current on it but I will be now.

I just finished The Last of the Innocent and it was fantastic. I was holding off until it was finished because the series really does read better in trade form.

It was so good that I didn't even realize I was rooting for a cheating murderer until the 3rd issue.

Great book - highly recommended.

The writing is probably not as strong as the other stories but for some reason I really enjoyed it. It's a pretty fast and easy read.

How many volumes of CRIMINAL are there so far, and which is the first one?

There are six volumes at the moment; Coward is the first.

I just read the whole series over the past week after hearing about how good The Last of the Innocent was. The whole series was great but The Last of the Innocent was brilliant. I think it's probably the best thing Ed Brubaker has ever written and Sean Phillips is easily one of my favourite artists.

In related news, Fatale is off to a good start.

Last edited:
ProjectX2 said:
There are six volumes at the moment; Coward is the first.

I just read the whole series over the past week after hearing about how good The Last of the Innocent was. The whole series was great but The Last of the Innocent was brilliant. I think it's probably the best thing Ed Brubaker has ever written and Sean Phillips is easily one of my favourite artists.

In related news, Fatale is off to a good start.

I have not heard of Fatale...what is it?

Latest posts

Back