Cloverfield (Spoilers!)

Re: JJ Abram's Cloverfield

I'll see it tomarow when I go see Transformers.

I'm actually looking forward to the trailer more than Transformers. But then, I love trailers.

Have you considered that humanity/mankind might be "The Parasite"? :shock:

Whatever is doing the attack might be attempting to take back the planet from us, in the Elder Ones/Cthulu sense.

I like the way you think, compound. I still don't think its Godzilla, though.

Speaking of C'Thulhu, the rights to Lovecraft's works are held by del Toro, At the Mountain of Madness is in pre-production right now.

I thought the rights to Lovecraft's work were in the public domain?

I like the way you think, compound. I still don't think its Godzilla, though.

I thought the rights to Lovecraft's work were in the public domain?

Media rights work slightly differently, it's to prevent from the theaters from being hit by hundreds of the same movie.

If I remember correctly, there has to be like a 5 year cool down period, which is why stuff like A Christmas Carol doesn't get remade every christmas.

Media rights work slightly differently, it's to prevent from the theaters from being hit by hundreds of the same movie.

If I remember correctly, there has to be like a 5 year cool down period, which is why stuff like A Christmas Carol doesn't get remade every christmas.

Ahhhhhhh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. :D

And reading more, it's not 100% certain HPL's work is public domain (even tho in his letters he wanted his work to pass into PD so others could expand his world). August Deraleth claimed the copyright until his death in 1996 (which would mean it's copyrighted until 2071, Byrne's Law is death of CR holder + 75 years in the US). Other people claim that the old rule of original author's death + 28 years is what people need to recognize.

So, yeah, all i can guarantee is that del Toro holds the copyright to HIS depiction of At the Mountain of Madness.

Apparently, there are a few people that think this is Voltron.

Also, I seriously doubt it's Godzilla, or any other remake. If it was a remake, especially of something as high-profile as Godzilla, there's no way they could keep it secret. Besides, after Godzilla: Final Wars, Toho decided to put Godzilla in retirement for a decade or so so people would be interested in the future. (I'm not sure if it would apply to an American version.)

Apparently, there are a few people that think this is Voltron.
From looking at IMDB, it seems that most people seem to be getting that from the fact that many have misinterpreted the line in the trailer "It's alive!" as "It's a lion!"

Which means that most of them are joking and a few of them are unfortunately serious.

From looking at IMDB, it seems that most people seem to be getting that from the fact that many have misinterpreted the line in the trailer "It's alive!" as "It's a lion!"

Which means that most of them are joking and a few of them are unfortunately serious.

Agreed. It's almost certainly an original film.

On the off chance that is is a remake, it's probably something ridiculously obscure. I think it'd be hilarious if it was Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Now that I think about it, what would a Voltron trailer look like? Somebody get Ourchair over here.

Last edited:

I can't believe some people are actually serious about this. :roll:

Ya know, if it looked a bit more futuristic I'd be down with it being Voltron.

I don't think it'll be an established character/monster/franchise mainly because keeping something like that under wraps for as long as the special effects would take for a monster/disaster pic would be too damn hard. Except the Lovecraft idea. no one but nerds know about that stuff.

As much of a Go Lion freak as I was as a kid (yes, I was Princess), I'd honestly hate to see it as a live action movie, it'd be damn near impossible to make it serious.

If this was placed in Boston, I would be more prone to the Lovecraft idea, considering his stories always took place in the upper half of Massachusetts, in the Ipswich/Gloucester/Beverly area.

Honestly this sounded like Godzilla to me, but I don't know if I understood it that way because of what you guys were saying. Needless to say it is a Hyper Teaser Trailer.

Current URL
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=5&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

If this was placed in Boston, I would be more prone to the Lovecraft idea, considering his stories always took place in the upper half of Massachusetts, in the Ipswich/Gloucester/Beverly area.

Honestly this sounded like Godzilla to me, but I don't know if I understood it that way because of what you guys were saying. Needless to say it is a Hyper Teaser Trailer.

Current URL
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=5&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I'm trying to figure out where I've heard that sound in it before. I know its not Godzilla's roar, but I know I've heard it...

And just a little fun fact, in the original King Kong Kong's roar was a lion roaring played backwards.

Some people are now saying it's a LOST spinoff.

That hurts me to type it

Well, if it came out with Transformers, what other 80's icon is there that has that roar?

Last edited:

Some people are now saying it's a LOST spinoff.

That hurts me to type it

Well, if it came out with Transformers, what other 80's icon is there that has that roar?

heh, Thundercats

Latest posts

Back