Bass & Cap's Amazing MTG thread.

I didnt get it either until i read the description. He bought a $55 card for $40 b/c he let the dealer tear it first.

Last edited:
Some of my friends and I played a M13 draft the other day. My first draft ever. We played a sealed draft first. I built a blue/black deck and came in 2nd. My record was 2-1-0 and so was the guy who came in first, but my one loss was to him, so he was the winner. Then we played a regular draft and I built a red/black exalted deck and pwned everyone. I was 3-0-0. It was pretty fun, and i got a thundermaw hellkite out of the deal ($25-30 mythic rare dragon)

Last edited:
So I've been on a bit of a tear lately. A few weeks ago I went to a GPT for the upcoming Grand Prix Pittsburgh. It had a pretty good turnout, almost 50 players. I crushed it and took first, getting my three round bye for the GP and managed to talk the manager of the shop into letting me grab Absolute Sandman V5 over the boosterbox prize.

Then last Saturday I went to another GPT. Now the byes don't stack but I needed some more practice at Gatecrash sealed and best case senario I could scoop to my roomate in finals so he could get his byes too. Well, i didn't get to. Instead I scooped to some other guy in finals after arranging a prize split that heavily favored me. I lost one game on the day.

I'm really looking forward to the GP. I expect I'll crash and burn.

You know, I hear about it but I just don't keep up with all the changes to the tournament scene. I don't know what different about byes and why it's good or bad, same for a 4th pro tour.

I play limited casual. I drafted some Gatecrash and thought it was terrific. I loved Extort and Cipher (Undercity Plague is HARSH). Also, I did some Winchester drafting of my random rares pile (I put this up on twitter) which was excellent. I need to assemble a couple of my commander decks for some gaming this weekend or create a more balanced cube of my random rares (fun fact: I have zero 1-drop rares nor any spot removal rares - this makes Hokori terrifying and Royal Assassin the powerhouse he DESERVES TO BE.)

I also discovered Lackey and realised I can playtest my own custom sets.

This is a long winded way of me saying that I am off the wagon and Magic is my drug of choice.

So I won the tcg player Ohio state championship today. It got me enough tcg player points to qualify for the invitational they have in a few weeks. Possibly wi byes.

So I won the tcg player Ohio state championship today. It got me enough tcg player points to qualify for the invitational they have in a few weeks. Possibly wi byes.

Wow. Congrats.

Did you go to the invitational?

So I was at my LCS yesterday and they had a magic card up that was a counterfeit sort of as a warning. I looked it up today and found this article. Apparently a website in China is making really good quality counterfeit cards and it has started to flood the market. When you look at the counterfeits next to the actual card, you can tell the difference, but the differences are pretty subtle (slightly thinner card stock, font is just a bit off, colour is a shade or two darker).

Pretty crazy.

Did you go to the invitational?
Yes! I went 5-3 on day one and missed day two on tiebreakers. The top 64 made day two and I was 69th. I also had an on camera feature match against Todd Anderson where i played horrifically.

Since then I also made top 8 of the Star City open that they held in Columbus in January went their invitational in Charlotte North Carolina where i sadly pulled a 4-4, winning all my games in standard and losing all games in legacy. A bit embarrassing since I qualified for it playing legacy.

Next weekend is the Origins game fair Columbus with another Star City invitational and two more opens. I'm a few points short of the invitational but I'm playing in last one open.
So I was at my LCS yesterday and they had a magic card up that was a counterfeit sort of as a warning. I looked it up today and found this article. Apparently a website in China is making really good quality counterfeit cards and it has started to flood the market. When you look at the counterfeits next to the actual card, you can tell the difference, but the differences are pretty subtle (slightly thinner card stock, font is just a bit off, colour is a shade or two darker).

Pretty crazy.

I haven't gotten to see any of the counterfeits in person but it was bound to happen. With the older cards being worth as much as they are it's likely easier and safer then printing money.

Last edited:
Yes! I went 5-3 on day one and missed day two on tiebreakers. The top 64 made day two and I was 69th. I also had an on camera feature match against Todd Anderson where i played horrifically.

Since then I also made top 8 of the Star City open that they held in Columbus in January went their invitational in Charlotte North Carolina where i sadly pulled a 4-4, winning all my games in standard and losing all games in legacy. A bit embarrassing since I qualified for it playing legacy.

Next weekend is the Origins game fair Columbus with another Star City invitational and two more opens. I'm a few points short of the invitational but I'm playing in last one open.
Wow, that's cool. Sorry to hear the invitationals haven't quite gone your way.

I haven't gotten to see any of the counterfeits in person but it was bound to happen. With the older cards being worth as much as they are it's likely easier and safer then printing money.

The crazy thing is, the one I saw was a standard rare that's worth maybe a buck.

Wow, that's cool. Sorry to hear the invitationals haven't quite gone your way.

I was more upset about the TCG player one then the SCG. With SCG i chose a deck that was bad against what was played in the tournament. I was expecting a lot of Delver based aggro control strategies to show up so I played the Jund Depths that I qued with since its amazing against both that and any other creature based deck (Elves, Stoneforge decks, Death and Taxes, ect...). What ended up happening was a lot of players decided to jam less interactive but highly powerful combo decks that were fairly weak to the delver strategy. But they're less likely to make mistakes with them since they're forcing the opponent to react. Unfortunately my deck choice was all but cold to them.

Now at the TCG I was still live for top 8, but they had announced a top 64 or all X-2 players make day two. Since they had a smaller turnout then expected I was further down the standings then my record should have let me be. Loosing two win and ins in a row, one of them on camera didn't help my mood either. And they never posted the standings the night before so I had to be at the event at 8am to find out that I didn't make days two. It was pretty frustrating. I'm qued on points for the event they're running in Indianapolis later this year. The prize payout is too good to not go but I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

So I went and sold most of my extra magic cards this week. I haven't bought new cards in ages and I have no intention of keeping up with it. I kept my good decks that I like and put together a few really simple basic monocoloured decks for teaching new people and sold the rest. It felt like a lot of cards, but I guess it probably wasn't that much. Four deck bulider's toolkit boxes full. One was just land.

And I got $76 store credit. Sigh.

I bought a few games to give as birthday gifts and a handful of common magic singles that I needed to round out my teaching decks.

Latest posts

Back