All About Books by Comic Book Writers

Duane Swierczynski is editor-in-chief of the Philadelphia City Paper. A receipt for This Here's a Stick-Up, Duane's nonfiction book on American bank robbery, was found in the getaway car of a San Francisco bandit who'd hit at least thirty California banks.

That's great.

That's awesome.

Wasn't it?
I've spent half the day reading The Wheelman. Almost finished. ****ing great book. Lots of characters all trying to manipulate each other. Very entertaining.

I thought it went a bit over the top as it went along, but hell, over the top is where The Blond starts.

Finished The Wheelman yet Project? And have you found a copy of The Blond yet?

Yeah, I finished it the other day. I really enjoyed it. Though the ending sort've confused me. It's like it came out of nowhere.

I won't pick up The Blond until I finish Caught Stealing.

Yeah, I finished it the other day. I really enjoyed it. Though the ending sort've confused me. It's like it came out of nowhere.

I won't pick up The Blond until I finish Caught Stealing.

Just so you know one of the main characters in The Blond is the guy that came in at the very end of The Wheelman. He fills in a bit of what he was doing there, and how he starts the book is great.

What do you think of Caught Stealing? I think if you can get around the -dialog style its a great read.

Just so you know one of the main characters in The Blond is the guy that came in at the very end of The Wheelman. He fills in a bit of what he was doing there, and how he starts the book is great.

What do you think of Caught Stealing? I think if you can get around the -dialog style its a great read.

Yeah, it's pretty good. The dialogue style is off-putting, though I'll persevere. I'm not as intrigued as I was with The Wheelman though.

Got Moore's Voice of the Fire and Ellis's Crooked Little Vein today. Read a bunch of the latter and it's very scary. The only problem I have with it is that it seems too Ellisian. It's like all of his weird science projects involve him researching strange things and then writing stories which fit them in. But I guess it works for him. I enjoy reading it.

Here's a question: which comic book writers would you like to write a novel that haven't? I think Millar could write something funny, maybe autobiographical and Brubaker could probably write a decent book similar to Criminal/Sleeper. I know I'd read both.

Grant Morrison would be scary.

Got Moore's Voice of the Fire and Ellis's Crooked Little Vein today. Read a bunch of the latter and it's very scary. The only problem I have with it is that it seems too Ellisian. It's like all of his weird science projects involve him researching strange things and then writing stories which fit them in. But I guess it works for him. I enjoy reading it.

Here's a question: which comic book writers would you like to write a novel that haven't? I think Millar could write something funny, maybe autobiographical and Brubaker could probably write a decent book similar to Criminal/Sleeper. I know I'd read both.

Grant Morrison would be scary.

I'm really surprised Brubaker hasn't yet.

I think I'd like to read something by Bill Willlingham, preferably away from his comfort zone of magical beings hiding amongst us.

Honestly I'd like to read something by Neil Gaiman that doesn't go that route anymore.

I'd definatly try Matt Fraction.

Try any Greg Rucka yet? I keep meaning to get around to them...

Last edited:
I'm really surprised Brubaker hasn't yet.

I think I'd like to read something by Bill Willlingham, preferably away from his comfort zone of magical beings hiding amongst us.

Honestly I'd like to read something by Neil Gaiman that doesn't go that route anymore.

I'd definatly try Matt Fraction.

Try any Greg Rucka yet? I keep meaning to get around to them...

I haven't read any of Rucka's stuff yet but I'll probably get around to it sooner or later.

Finished Crooked Little Vein. Delightfully ****ed up. Am I crazy or did I read that Ellis was working on a second novel?

Now I need to finish reading Caught Stealing and Anansi Boys and make my way through Voice of the Fire and then I'll pick up Swierczynski's other books.

I am reading THE BLONDE. It is damn good.

I am reading THE BLONDE. It is damn good.

Severence Package is better. It carires on in that world and gives a bit of insight into CI6. I really want to see where he's going with all this. He's building a world. I can't wait to see it come together.

I have finished THE BLONDE. It was alright, not as good as THE WHEELMAN. I got bored with it in the middle.

SEVERANCE PACKAGE is coming to me next.

This thread is just Baxter and I, isn't it?

I have finished THE BLONDE. It was alright, not as good as THE WHEELMAN. I got bored with it in the middle.

SEVERANCE PACKAGE is coming to me next.

This thread is just Baxter and I, isn't it?

Yep. :wink:

So I got Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts on Friday. I bought it on a whim and its absolutly beautiful. The title story and Pop Art are especialy haunting. Why bring it up here? Joe Hill has 3 published comic works, including a story in a Spiderman anthology.

Last edited:
So have you finished Severance Package yet?

And for the love of god, someone else post here. Even if its just about some Gaimen stuff that gets talked up everywhere else. Something.

Please?

And for the love of god, someone else post here. Even if its just about some Gaimen stuff that gets talked up everywhere else. Something.

Please?

Yeah, ages ago. I preferred it to The Blonde. I could see all of his books as movies.

Speaking of Joe Hill, I read Heart-Shaped Box and really enjoyed it. Lots of similar ideas to a short story I had been writing at the same time which was a scary coincidence. Today I got out 20th Century Ghosts to see how it is.

I've also got Gaiman's M is for Magic collection to read.

Yeah, ages ago. I preferred it to The Blonde. I could see all of his books as movies.

Speaking of Joe Hill, I read Heart-Shaped Box and really enjoyed it. Lots of similar ideas to a short story I had been writing at the same time which was a scary coincidence. Today I got out 20th Century Ghosts to see how it is.

I've also got Gaiman's M is for Magic collection to read.

I haven't checked out Heart Shaped Box yet. Its on the short list. I'm a bit afraid that he'll turn out to be an amazing short story writer and a so so novelist.

Please?
I'm going to get The Wheelman next time I am in Borders.

I haven't checked out Heart Shaped Box yet. Its on the short list. I'm a bit afraid that he'll turn out to be an amazing short story writer and a so so novelist.

I did get bored a bit halfway through but the characters were genuinely fun and the plot was decent.

I am glad that he seems to be as good as early Stephen King too.

Please?

I would totally post here more if I read books. But it's hard because they have too many words.

Baxter, there's a short film of Pop Art, that short story Joe Hill wrote about the balloon kid.

There are some pictures here. It looks quite creepy but sweet. I want to see it.

Does anyone read books yet?

Latest posts

Back